Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default If The Forgotten Realms must be the Future...please give us some Regis & The Harpells

OK look I'll start by saying I loathe the Generic realms, its personal opinion but I can't stand it but since the devs have clearly said their focus is FR right now please at least give me my two favorite characters (well one character and one family) Regis "Rumblebelly" the Halfling Rogue and the Harpell Family

It could be ALOT of fun with a quest involving the harpells zaniness and tendency to "experiment" with magic. Not really sure what you could do with Regis...but please try

Sidenote: Please if its at all possible don't do anything with Drizzt we already had an epidemic of Not-drizzts when drow were released and we don't need to encourage that again not to mention imo he's one of the weakest FR characters. That said if you insist on doing Drizzt (because I know you will) please include Jarlaxle as a big part (and not just as a villain, hell I wouldn't mind woring WITH him)...I loathe drow but this guy I actually had some respect for.

Sidenote2: I'd still rather you forgot about FR and returned to Ebberon but I've I doubt WB will let you waste the X amount of $$$ they spent getting the rights to that setting especially since they probably want to compete with NWO (which they don't have to..horrible game FYI...its not dnd at all...it could have a completely different name and no one would have noticed)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    OK look I'll start by saying I loathe the Generic realms, its personal opinion but I can't stand it but since the devs have clearly said their focus is FR right now please at least give me my two favorite characters (well one character and one family) Regis "Rumblebelly" the Halfling Rogue and the Harpell Family

It could be ALOT of fun with a quest involving the harpells zaniness and tendency to "experiment" with magic. Not really sure what you could do with Regis...but please try

Sidenote: Please if its at all possible don't do anything with Drizzt we already had an epidemic of Not-drizzts when drow were released and we don't need to encourage that again not to mention imo he's one of the weakest FR characters. That said if you insist on doing Drizzt (because I know you will) please include Jarlaxle as a big part (and not just as a villain, hell I wouldn't mind woring WITH him)...I loathe drow but this guy I actually had some respect for.

Sidenote2: I'd still rather you forgot about FR and returned to Ebberon but I've I doubt WB will let you waste the X amount of $$$ they spent getting the rights to that setting especially since they probably want to compete with NWO (which they don't have to..horrible game FYI...its not dnd at all...it could have a completely different name and no one would have noticed)

There was a time skip of like 300-400 years between 3.5 FR and 4th FR. So Regis and Jarlaxle are probably dead already. Hell, most of the gods of 3.5 FR are dead. I think Drizzt was mentioned as being still alive, but an old man. The Harpells may still be around, but not any of the ones you know and most Wizards were killed in the Spellplague. Basically, after many tries, WotC gave up on trying to move away from FR and made it the default setting. But in doing so, they redesigned the whole setting and eliminated most of the settings and characters that made it popular in the first place. And people wonder why 4th Edition never really caught on...

I'll never understand all the FR hate on these forums.

During my 19-year tenure of playing PnP, I experienced several different DnD settings. Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, FR, along with numerous homebrew settings (some of which were quite good). I never found the FR setting to be "boring" or "generic". If there was one problem I had with the FR setting, and this is just a matter of personal taste, I felt there was just waaay too much magic. Seemed like everyone and their sister had a plethora of magic items. But once we (rp groups) toned that down to a reasonable level, I found FR to be...well....pretty awesome.The amount of detail put into that setting was incredible.

Anywho, from what I understand, the Realms have changed drastically through 3E-3.5-4E. Which, I suppose, is to be expected. My PnP time ended quite abruptly after I bought the 3E core rules, played enough to get familiar somewhat with the system, and be totally disgusted by it. Changing the FR so drastically ain't no surprise. Just another thing about the game that Wizards of the Coast completely screwed the pooch on.

LOL I was at a DnD "30th Anniversary" event at a local gaming store, and there were reps from Wizards of the Coast there. This was when the Eberron setting was first being released, and they were pimping it pretty hard, trying to get all the players and groups to try it out. The group at our table took one look at the cover, saw a friggin TRAIN on it, and the response was an overwheling "oh helllll no!"

So I guess what I'm saying is, each to their own on the Forgotten Realms. But at least it was a true fantasy setting. Not some kinda half-boiled steampunk magi-tech wannabe system with trains and droids (Warforged, whatever....they're friggin droids) where everyone wears stupid-lookin goggles.

And yes. I do love DDO. I just wish they would have picked another setting...ANY other setting....than Eberron.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by honkuimushi View Post
    There was a time skip of like 300-400 years between 3.5 FR and 4th FR. So Regis and Jarlaxle are probably dead already. Hell, most of the gods of 3.5 FR are dead. I think Drizzt was mentioned as being still alive, but an old man. The Harpells may still be around, but not any of the ones you know and most Wizards were killed in the Spellplague. Basically, after many tries, WotC gave up on trying to move away from FR and made it the default setting. But in doing so, they redesigned the whole setting and eliminated most of the settings and characters that made it popular in the first place. And people wonder why 4th Edition never really caught on...
    It's been awhile since I've read any of the books, but I'm pretty sure Drizzt is alive, but is in his elder years. (Roughly around 500 years old or so, which for an average Drow/Elf he still has a good 200 years left of life to live.)

Jarlaxle I'm not so sure about. I can't rightly remember of the top of my head what happened to him in the last of the NeverWinter series. But he was already hundred of years old when they first introduced him and Bregan D'aerthe, so I doubt he lived the 300-400 years of the Spellplauge.

Regis I know for certain is dead and in the space Mielikki had created for him, Cattie-Brie, and later King Bruenor Battlehammer as a personal favor to Drizzt Do'Urrden, although I don't think he was ever made aware of this. (Not quite her own Realm, but as I understood it a spacial distortion on the Primal plain in which Cattie Brie, Regis and Bruenor Existed alone)

And While the Harpells could have possibly had decendants through the Spellplauge, it's unlikely. It's even more unlikely that they were still wizards after a 300-400 year span.

All that being said though, I would certainly enjoy seeing any of them in game as long as they were done correctly and not simply thrown in the way Elminster is; "Oh hi, I exist. Just thought you should know, also I'm gonna take the credit for kicking lady Lolths but."
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    I would certainly enjoy seeing any of them in game as long as they were done correctly and not simply thrown in the way Elminster is; "Oh hi, I exist. Just thought you should know, also I'm gonna take the credit for kicking lady Lolths but."
    I must say I am quite glad that Jeets, Talbron and Celimas are not as bitter about us players taking the thunder and saving the day by breaking a crystal, when they were the ones that had to fight and distract the dragon as players seems to be about Anna.

The increasing focus on the boring and disgustingly generic realms is depressing to me and is the biggest reason I keep thinking of quiting and adding the truly boring personalites of the Harpells and Regis would increase this feeling.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I must say I am quite glad that Jeets, Talbron and Celimas are not as bitter about us players taking the thunder and saving the day by breaking a crystal, when they were the ones that had to fight and distract the dragon as players seems to be about Anna.
    I'm not bitter. I could care less honestly, it's just the way he was implemented doesn't do Elminster Justice. They threw him in strictly for star value, the "Ohh it's Elminster!!!" effect. Which wear off as soon as your realize he has very little meaningful dialog, and isn't any meaningful contribution to any of the quests.

Anna doesn't bother me either, except for her sometimes buggy AI.

It's just the way the implemented him that's kind of, meh. He's just there. And one of the few times he has the chance to offer some really interesting dialog, what do we get? Nothing worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by honkuimushi View Post
    Regis is dead and jarlaxle is alive and so is drizzt dont forget they are both drow and drizzt was a young drow under a 100 around about that when the spell plague hit. Matron baenre lived to be 2000 years plus?

Of course elminster is alive that guy is like a roach.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Regis is dead and jarlaxle is alive and so is drizzt dont forget they are both drow and drizzt was a young drow under a 100 around about that when the spell plague hit. Matron baenre lived to be 2000 years plus?

Of course elminster is alive that guy is like a roach.
    While true that she was alive for 2,000+ years, Matron Baenre was the exception. Most Drow lived 600-800 years on average, even 1000 years was seen as a lengthy stay in the primal plain. Although, This may have more to do with the Drow culture than their actual available lifespans, but I don't think this has ever been made clear, and from everything I've read it seems that it's more than natural lifespan.

I think it's even said somewhere in one of the books that Matron Baenre's long life was very unusual.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    ...... boring and disgustingly generic realms is depressing to me ......
    Does the setting really warrant the term "disgusting"? Does the flavour of this campaign differ so much from Eberron that it depresses you? Wow, that is an intense response.

How does a setting evoke such a negative reaction?
    It's mainstream DnD - so what? It's still DnD. I played most of the campaigns settings over the last 30 years and I found the realms to have lots of content I could call upon if needed, or ignore if I wanted.

I met Ed Greenwood and he is a fantastic guy. I think you do an injustice to the creativity he has to evoke the realms into such depth and detail.
    I always found Greyhawk a little bland for my tastes, but I would never throw around the adjectives that many of the anti-realms people do.
    We get it, you don't like it, but the content is there. Play it or don't play it, it does not matter.

Ranting about it is unlikely to change the direction of this game in the near future.
    Just try to enjoy the game for what it is. Nothing else comes close to the spirit of DnD.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalhazard View Post
    ...of course elminster is alive that guy is like a roach.
    Thanks for the laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Does the setting really warrant the term "disgusting"? Does the flavour of this campaign differ so much from Eberron that it depresses you? Wow, that is an intense response.

How does a setting evoke such a negative reaction?
    It's the same feelings that had people bail in DDO because it was Ebberon. The truth is, some people simply do not like the setting.

I mean really, FR is the vanilla of the gaming world, and more then that, it seems everyone and their brother can't think of a name for a drow that did not come from the Icewind Dale Series, no matter the game, people get bombarded by this setting in every single game they play, it feels nice to be able to escape from it, to get away from it, in a DnD Setting where, Drizzit is not being shoved down my throat.

Honestly, I did not miss Drizzit when I came to DDO, in fact I enjoyed the Ebberon setting, it was fresh, it was different, and it was it's own thing, I personally wish it had MORE steampunk attached to it, to make it MORE unique from other realms. To make it MORE stand out, so that players knew this was it's own, very unique campaign setting.

I mean really the fan-boi's that ran away because it was Ebberon really lost out on a great setting and a great game, truly their loss in every way it could be their loss, and not to be too rude, but anyone unwilling to play a DnD because of the setting is not someone I am going to miss.

However, it's pretty clear that Turbine misses their dollars, hence the push and move for more FR. Which is funny, because a lot of the people who have come to enjoy the game, have come to enjoy the Ebberon setting as well, and there have been quite a few posts by people other then me, that wish Turbine would branch out into more Ebberon, like Sharn, or the Mournlands, and just do more with the setting to give it life.

I guess to each their own in that aspect.

Ranting about it is unlikely to change the direction of this game in the near future.
    Just try to enjoy the game for what it is. Nothing else comes close to the spirit of DnD.
    Truth is, "Ranting about it" is as close to the DnD gamer spirit as you can get.. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    I'll never understand all the FR hate on these forums.
    The hate in these forums is 2 pronged.

1) The people that stuck with this game like the steampunk feel over the archaic.
    2) I think the way R.A. Salvator wrote the books with the Drow-who-shall-not-be-named (though he is my favorite character) made the fans of the FR written by Ed Greenwood and others mad. These fans felt betrayed when the Salvatorian Realms being more famous and the norm for most games.

The people from number 1 have the bigger voices here on the forums that those of us who enjoy the FR are attacked when ever we support them.

Now to the OP: Sadly we will not see Regis or the Harpell's due to them being more in the Balder's Gate and Neverwinter settings which DDO does not have the rights to currently. If that ever changes I am sure the other characters will make an appearance as ghosts at most (other than the drow or magically long-lived, some of the harpell's) due to the year gap that another posted pointed out.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Personally I'd rather like to see Viconia again. As a drow & with the time that's passed there's a good chance she'd still be around & hey, she was a priestess of Shar too...

And as for some of the old gods being dead yeah that's kinda interesting but hey, they can make a comeback more easily - Amaunator was virtually forgotten back in the Baldurs Gate period (following the time of troubles).
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Do we know the approx year of our entry into the FR?

I wouldn't expect to see any Salvatore IP in this game until Neverwinter completely tanks.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I've always disliked the FR because it is NOT generic D&D.

But it's waaaay closer than Eberron.

I disliked Eberron at first, but it grew on me over the years.
    From what I understand, Eberron is not suppose to have epic level characters though.

Turbine said they would continue to create content for both worlds.
    But it is clear that most people want to play D&D in the FRs, so of course they need to cater to the demands of the market.

However... from my point of view, with the slow rate of new content we get, it is hardly fair to say that turbine has abandoned Eberron.

I say give them two more updates of new content and see if any of them are in Eberron or not... and then complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

However... from my point of view, with the slow rate of new content we get, it is hardly fair to say that turbine has abandoned Eberron.
    Turbine has said no new Eberon for the foreseable future. I suspect this is coming from WoTC since they have more say now.

The "Stormreach" story is done at this point and I just can't see them branching out into other areas of that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    The increasing focus on the boring and disgustingly generic realms is depressing to me and is the biggest reason I keep thinking of quiting and adding the truly boring personalites of the Harpells and Regis would increase this feeling.
    The Forgotten Realms is anything but generic. Most PnP groups simply didn't allow themselves to experience the Realms to its fullest potential. Mostly, I believe, due to a lack of roleplaying in groups playing a roleplaying game, but that's another thread.FR, as written only in the core sourcebook (or box set, if you played 2E) were left kind of open for DMs and players to build some parts and aspects of the setting themselves. there were huge spaces left wide open on the FR maps specifically for this purpose. At the other end of the spectrum, for groups that wanted a deep immersion factor in their Realms, there were countless sourcebooks that explained in glorious detail, the minute thngs (and some not so minute) that make the Realms different, unique. In particular, the "Elminster's Ecologies" series and the "Volo's Guide to...." series were excellent sources of setting flavor for the Realms.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    While true that she was alive for 2,000+ years, Matron Baenre was the exception. Most Drow lived 600-800 years on average, even 1000 years was seen as a lengthy stay in the primal plain. Although, This may have more to do with the Drow culture than their actual available lifespans, but I don't think this has ever been made clear, and from everything I've read it seems that it's more than natural lifespan.I think it's even said somewhere in one of the books that Matron Baenre's long life was very unusual.
    Yes, Matron Baenre was a special case, granted favor by Lolth. One thing I'd like to point out, however, to the people who are speculating that certain Drow would or would not still be alive: I can't quote numbers at the moment, cause I'm at work and don't have my "Drow of the Underdark" book handy, but Drow do not have the same range of lifespan as surface Elves. IIRC Drow lifespan is somewhere around 400-500 years, comparable to Dwarves.
    Last edited by Philibusta; 08-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Hey guys can we lay of the fighting and bashing of various settings I'd prefer my thread not get locked.

Anyways the devs have decided to focus on FR so I'm hoping they can at least include at least one of the few things I did like from it (namely the harpells, jaraxle and regis).

Now general question to all posters...why are we assuming FR is like 500 years in the future? did I miss something...DDO is still 3.5 so it should be at 3.5 timeline wise, no? If not I'm sure the Harpells could manage to live fairly long. (and knowing Regis I wouldn't put it past him touching something that would transport him to another point in time, namely this one)

Oh and Warforged are NOT droids...they are living WOOD creatures who wear armor just like the rest of the races. Their more akin to Treants.

Oh and someone mentioned Viconia which I do agree as a well-known priestess of Shar (or in my modded game a Sorceross that worshipped Amauntor :P) she would fit quite well but IIRC she's not actually a canon character and probably owned by Obsidian or Bioware.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-30-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Oh and someone mentioned Viconia which I do agree as a well-known priestess of Shar (or in my modded game a Sorceross that worshipped Amauntor :P) she would fit quite well but IIRC she's not actually a canon character and probably owned by Obsidian or Bioware.
    Maybe so, but there's always the possibility of a small shout-out at least, there's tons of them around
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast