Default Update 19 - respec Monk for Ninja and Dex

In an earlier thread about Update 19 changes, someone suggested grabbing enhancements from the Ninja line: Shadow Veil. I noticed some other goodies as well.
    My question revolve around Dexterity. Piercing and slashing weapon damage switches to Dex. I also notice the Ninja Master level gains, "Piercing or slashing weapon you wield gains the Vorpal ability". If I respec my character with higher Dex and use Ivy Handwraps (gives piercing damage), will I be able to utilize these benefits? Am I losing out on anything? Note: I have fully invested in the bludgeon critical line. Will I need to add piercing or do the Ivy Wraps cover both damage types?
    Sorry if this is coming across as Newbie - just trying to get my head around the new enhancements/options

Community Member

People have reported that Ninja Spy stuff works with Ivy Wraps. Historically (in this game, and others) I feel it's never worthwhile to build around one single item, but you can always fall back to Short Swords, Kamas, or even Unarmed with an Enhancement Respec, so it's not too risky here. IC: Bludgeon will cover Ivy Wraps (unless something crazy happened in U19).
    Last edited by rimble; 08-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah I have to agree creating a build based around rare equipment is risky and will remember the fallbacks. I'm having trouble with the forced paths the new enhancements bring(Henshin-staff, Ninja-Shortsword and Shintao-handwraps). Dex builds are also not my preference but the Ninja line surely demands it. I will play with it and see how it goes. Thank you

Community Member

On a related note dose ninja training (dex to damage) work with ranged piercing weapons ie bows with zen archery?

Quote Originally Posted by thomassmith2 View Post
    On a related note dose ninja training (dex to damage) work with ranged piercing weapons ie bows with zen archery?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb111 View Post
    Dex builds are also not my preference but the Ninja line surely demands it.
    I disagree. I don't see any major downside to going Str/Wis like pre-U19 and avoiding the Dex-specific stuff in Ninja Spy. Poach Enhancements from all three trees, or from another class entirely. You just ignore core ability 1, core ability 2, and don't take core ability 6.

You spend a few AP in the core abilities to get to Shadow Veil, 4 if you want Poisoned Darts, and ignore the Level 18 and 20 core abilities. Heck, EVERY Monk is going to take up to Shadow Veil and ignore the Dex junk that comes along with it.

Not being interested in those level 18 and 20 core abilities (and if you're not interested in the ones from Henshin or Shintao as well) frees you up to explore multi-classing options.
    Last edited by rimble; 08-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.

I ended up reseting enhancements only. I am holding at least one level and plan to respec at 20. By then I will have mastered the changes. Ones I went for: Shadow Veil, Henshin Tier 2 +1 ki strikes (feature only visible after taking, "Contemplation" 3x). It's a shame that, "Lighting the Candle" gives a -1 to Ki so I avoided that. Went up to Tomb of Jade and Emtpy Hand Mastery in the ****ao line - avoided other top tier selections. I'm not fond of the crane animal form (usually choose tortoise) but took it for the extra ki. With Wisdom and Concentration enhancements I should have plenty of ki my Monk moves now I may even look for a ki boosting item like the Alchemist's Pendant. Can you tell I want my mojo back?

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    People have reported that Ninja Spy stuff works with Ivy Wraps. Historically (in this game, and others) I feel it's never worthwhile to build around one single item, but you can always fall back to Short Swords, Kamas, or even Unarmed with an Enhancement Respec, so it's not too risky here. IC: Bludgeon will cover Ivy Wraps (unless something crazy happened in U19).
    Ironically, DEX to Damage also works with the Quarterstaff Rahl's Might...

(It's a centering, piercing weapon that just happens to be a staff...)

This implies--at lower levels--you could use a Cheiftan's Spear too, but I haven't got one of those to test it on...

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    Yes
    Is there any way you could screen shot this?

Because, if that's true, I might just have a TR idea for one of my characters...