Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member muffins_cupcake's Avatar

Default The Pit: A Walkthrough Guide

I'm not much of a forum guy, so hopefully I'm following the rules and placing this thread in the right place.

I have been playing the game for a long time now, and pretty much from day one I have seen people wanting to run The Pit for it's great xp and favour points, only they want a guide.

After opening the LFMs today and seeing another one, I decided to take it upon myself to take action. (I will be adding to and editing sections as new information/strategies/I'm reminded of things I forgot are brought to my attention)

Step one; I logged into the forums and searched 'The Pit Guide'. Nothing. OK, no pre-existing guides on this quest. Fine, I'll be the first (Yes.... I am talking/typing to myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm not mad or crazy despite what my wife might say).

Step two; How do I know I am proficient enough to make this guide? I have previously made a guide for Vault of Night. Admittedly it was posted on an external guild website for the Creeping Death guild members, but I had great feedback and when I was unable to lead the quest my detailed guide was used without complications for a successful completion.

Step three; Run the quest and take notes. Trying to run a quest, take notes, take screenshots and fight off the monsters actually takes much longer than you might think. Especially when you didn't think through you're character choice and ran it on your lowly Rogue.

Step four; I'm tired of spending more time healing myself and fighting that taking notes so throw up an LFM and see if some gallant heroes will come and save my damsel in distress. (Maybe not a damsel, but just go with it)

A special thanks to Yurasuka, the bard I borrowed from the Nightsong guild and Nellener, the ranger from Beneath the Remains.
    A very special thanks to my wife, Arysta, who would have assisted if I hadn't made this whilst she was at work, and for helping me with the forum side of things.

Top tips:

Before entering this quest make sure you have the following:

• Fire resist
    • Acid resist
    • Lightning resist
    • Item of Feather Falling (Yurasuka kindly reminded me of this with a demonstration of what happens when you forget. Thank you!)

Optional, but recommended:

• Fire protection
    • Acid protection
    • Lightning protection
    • Jump
    • False Life
    • Someone with evasion
    • Ability to find hidden doors

I find this quest is hard to explain without the aid of pictures so I will be posting a few.
    (A work in progress, I do apologise about the quality of some of these. I didn't realise just how dark they would turn out in some.)
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Muffins & Cupcakes, which is the best?

Whether it's the heavier breakfast muffin or the light and sweet frosted cupcake, everyone loves Muffins and Cupcakes.

Default Backup generator

From the start move forward and around the pillar until you come to the wooden platforms. Might look confusing because there are so many and at different levels. Ignore all of them. Turn to your right and head up. You'll notice a blue shield barrier blocking a corridor and a bridge. This corridor leads to the security room and we'll can't go in until we unlock it.

So first thing, approach the bridge without crossing it.

Look to the right of it and down. You'll see a platform directly beneath you. You want to jump down there and follow it until you reach the top. You'll know you're in the right place when you spot two acid jet tube thingies.

There is no control box to disable, this valve in-between the acid jets is the only way to disable it.

Hint: If you are worried about dying if you attempt to turn it off; this is not important to the quest (is not an objective and gives no XP) and can be avoided. Just wait for the acid and time your passage past it and around the corner to your right.

Turn around the corner and face a ledge with a platform going up. Looking down will be the familiar sight of the bridge we ignored earlier. So up the ramp we go.
    Following it around will bring us to the back up generator.

This room contains a bunch of Ooze, Troglodytes, breakables and puzzle levers.
    Shroud runners might recognise it as a completely unlit 3x3 puzzle. That's because it is. The same rules apply here and is easily solved in 5 steps.

1. Pull any of the levers in a corner.
    2. Pull a different lever in any of the corners
    3. Pull any of the remaining 2 levers that you have not already pulled.
    4. Pull the final corner lever.
    5. Pull the lever in the centre.

Puzzle solved! It's all lit up and we can now move onto lighting the furnace.
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Whether it's the heavier breakfast muffin or the light and sweet frosted cupcake, everyone loves Muffins and Cupcakes.

Default Lighting the first furnace

If you are good with directions, the furnace is always in the south-eastern part of the map. You can get there at any point by simply leaping off a ledge/platform and falling in that general direction.

Hint: Do not fall all the way down into the lava
    Hint: Never leap without your feather falling item, unless you want to discover how good your tumble check is and if you can survive a really long drop.

The furnace is easily distinguished by it's 3 light switch thingies outside the door. By this point you should have 1 yellow light lit and 2 lights unlit looking rather red.

Now you are at the beginning of the furnace. Each time this quest asks you to light a furnace (3 times in total) you need to come back to this point.

Head through a doorway to find 3 bridges.

The bridge on your left is down and is the first furnace. The second furnace is the one behind the pillar, directly in front of you as you enter the room. The third furnace is to your right as you enter the room.

Head over the first bridge and into a room with Troglodytes, Fire Elementals, breakable eggs, 1/3 valves required to unlock the Muck Doom chest location, and a whole bunch of Super Mario fun! I hope you like to jump on thin ledges whilst running around in a circle!

Hint: To anyone trying to kill the Fire Elementals; don't. It's a complete waste of time as they respawn (Thanks Yurasuka for reminding me to point that out).

To your left is a ramp. To your right is a shrine room which is locked until you find the valve to unlock it. Behind this, is the Muck Doom valve

You want to head up the ramp until you encounter acid jets.

Run across to the valve to turn these off and head back to the platform to carry on upwards.

You will go across some board-fixed section of the ramp, jump over a small missing section and then find a pipe on your right that sticks out like the previous one.

This one has an air jet on it. And if you don't time it right, likes to throw you off the pipe and down to start all over again. After you get this valve which turns off the air and acid further up, you head back to the ramp and head up. Until it ends very abruptly.

Look over the edge.

There is a pipe running along towards the centre of the room and connecting to more pipes. Jump down to it and run along the pipes until you get to this platform. Careful, a Troglodyte caster will appear when you approach.

After defeating this foe, turn right and work your way past the ladders. Following the platforms around brings you to a broken section of the platforms with an angry looking Troglodyte and his friends.

Jump over to this ledge and up the ladder. and continue your journey up.

The platforms will end again, but you have the pipes, so all is well.

and then you go up some more.

Now you have a choice, you can barely see a ladder from here and you can work your way around like #1 shows. This ladder leads to a room with an ooze and explosive barrels in it, along with the valve for opening the locked shrine below. I'll be showing you this later since I prefer to stop the Fire Elementals first. (After lighting the furnace, the Fire Elementals are trapped and no longer attack) And since this is my guide, I'll show you my way first, #2.

As shown, you want to make your way to this point.

and then jump across to this ledge. We're almost there!

There will be a Troglodyte appearing here and you need to work your way around. You'll be blasted at by the Elementals but luckily you'll have reached the furnace lighting lever. Lets get that shrine open now, before we leave this room. Did I mention there is a chest in the shrine room too? Yay Treasure!!!

Work your way back the way you came, back along the pipes towards the centre thingy.
    Now after a couple of final jumps you are at the ladder to the shrine lever.

The furnace is lit, we have a shrine and treasure. Not bad. Lets get out of here....
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Default Security Centre

Head back out of the furnace until you get back to the wooden platforms

If you can't remember where that is, head out of the furnace, over the bridge and take the only other way out - to your right.

Go up the platform and keep on going until you see something like this:
    This is what I like to refer to as the cross-over. It's a nice big area that is easy to find and connects the two shafts. We want to use this now and cross over to the other shaft. Keep on going up.
    You come across some flat ground and an unshielded door. This is the start, so bypass it and head up a little more. Then we find that we're back to the bridge right at the top of the shaft. And the blue shield covering this door is now gone. So in we go.

We'll find the security room looks like this:
    There are oozes, troglodytes and breakable eggs.

This also has 6 puzzle wheels which have the combinations hidden around the room.
    Either look for them or solve them this way:

They are always the same combination.

The yellow puzzle wheel is at the bottom just below you. (You'll also find a hole in the floor in the puddle. Another chest down there.)
    The Purple one you'll see as you come in.
    The blue, green and orange are one floor above you so take the stairs.
    The red and final one is the next level up.

After they are all done, head down to that blue shielded lever you past and use it. Security is rearmed and we're done here!
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Default Lighting the second furnace

Leave the security room, and be careful. The security traps are now active.

Now despite what some people think and say, these are NOT sonic. These are force damage. Don't waste your spell points casting sonic resist or protection, it does nothing. Also the myth that nightshield or shield will protect you is also false, they are not magic missile.

Head back to the furnaces

You'll notice there are now 1 green light, 1 yellow light, 1 unlit red (The yellow turns green once we light the furnace. This shows you which one to go to - the yellow one). In we go and now for the yellow lights of bridge number 2.

This furnace room is a lot like the previous one, but not as long or hard.

You want to head up this ladder and along to the acid and air jets.

You can't just run through it head on, you have to position yourself and jump across from this pipe thing just here. You'll also notice a valve just here too. It's one of those blue light valves, 2/3 of the Muck Doom valves. Don't forget to come back for this or get a friend to turn whilst you climb.

Work your way along and keep on going up.

until you encounter some more nasty acid jets.

you want to jump down to this pipe and grab this valve. It'll turn all the jets you see here off. You want to head back and climb back up.

Then carry on up and up.

Just make sure when you get to the top, you are careful of the acid here

The turn off valve is right next to the furnace light switch. So you can either jump if you're feeling lucky, or take the slightly longer and acid filled path.

We're done here. (There is another little area with a chest, but it's guarded by several troglodyte warlocks and is usually more hassle than it's worth to get. If you really want me to point it out I will, so just let me know.)

Don't forget that blue light valve!

Default Main Breaker Room

Head back out of the furnaces to the wooden platforms in the middle. That's straight over both sets of bridges. Remember to be careful, the force security thingies are still active

Go up this ramps. You'll notice that cross-over point. Ignore it and continue up. It should be the next room you encounter along this platform

For some reason the lightning effects in this room are not showing. Not just for me but also for my wife, and some of the group I ran with at level (the unfortunate guy got zapped and died and had no idea why). You can still hear the zapping effects so make sure you have the sound on maybe.

The idea of this room is to pull the levers until you find the magic ones to turn off the electric. Also there is a secret door.

An alternative way to do this room is to run through (just he one person) and stand on the lever. It may take a little positioning to find, put you can pull it through the bubble.

This may not always work if this ever gets fixed.
    So far it's been around for years, so it may be around to stay.

The secret door opens up to a troglodyte and an ooze. There is a chest, but be careful it is SOMETIMES trapped.

Default Main Control Room

Head out of the breaker room and get close to the edge of the platform. Look down.

Right down there is the furnaces. so drop down and head to there. (I know we're not lighting a furnace yet, but this is the easiest way to get to the main breaker room)

Once at the furnaces, turn to the left and take the platform heading down. Follow it around and you'll find the main control room. And also a shrine room.

Head through the tunnel, be careful not to have anyone AFK inside here and after completing this room, you'll have an ambush waiting for you when you leave. Has caught some people out before now.

Hint: With the xp being as high as it is, the 25% conquest bonus is a really nice touch. Try to milk a few extra kills out of each of the rooms with respawning monsters in them, like the main control room, if you handle the ooze well. (Also you can complete the optional Muck Doom early for even more added kills) - Thank you Lord Newbie for the tip.

This room has four tile puzzles

You have to fight off enemies whilst trying to solve. Here are the solutions. I tend to work on them from left to right and work may way around. So I'll number them like that. Here you are:

Heading out of this room you will have to fight the ambushing Troglodytes in the tunnels again
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Default Bilge Control Room

Now you are back at the force protected wooden platforms,

you are going to want to run up the platforms, back to the furnace and then carry on up and the next room you come across will be the bilge control room.

This area is very short, and very soon you'll find a secret door containing a shrine.

Follow this path around and you'll find the lever. Pull it and we're off again. Back to the furnace!
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Default Lighting the third furnace

Head back down the platforms and you'll find the furnaces right next to you

We want to head in and cross the final bridge to the third and final furnace.

The final Muck Doom chest valve is just over here to your right.

The area you want to make your way to is here though.

You want to stand on the pipe as shown

and have someone pull the valve. This will shoot you up into the air where you can land on the top pipes

This might take several tries, but keep trying and you'll get up there. Pull the lever and jump down.

Again there is another hidden chest area in this room, but again too much trouble. If you really want it's location just ask and I'll show how to get there.

Default Intake Control Centre

Now for the end fight. This is the last part of this lovely and exciting quest! Head out of the furnaces (having Dimensional Door works a treat here by the way), and climb the platforms. When you reach the cross-over take it and carry on up.

You're be passing the quest start all over again. Keep on heading up until you reach the security room and the bridge. We now cross the bridge and find ourselves on a small platform in front of some stairs

Make sure you buff up with whatever you have, this is the final fight. Be careful and do not rush.

There are troglodyte ambushes all over this place.

A common tactic is to remove all featherfalling items. If your party dies at this part you can more easily drop down to a shrine. With Featherfall you may fall too slowly.

Then, use a high hit-point character/or a character who is fast with good saves to run the ambush locations one at a time, and bring the Troglodytes back to the waiting main group.

There is one at the bottom of the stairs. One at each of the levers. Clear each of those one at a time before you move on.

(Triggering the ambush fights also causes Troglodyte warlocks to appear on the side ledges. One on either side. Once you kill those, one more will take their places. Kill those and there will be no more from the ledges)

Each of the levers on the wall also trigger Troglodyte ambushes.

After dealing with each separately, head for the final lever. BUT DO NOT PULL IT.

I have already pulled the two side levers. Pull on your voice of the masters, drink your xp potions, etc. Pulling this finishes the quest

DO NOT RECALL

Remember all those blue light valves we pulled for the Muck Doom? Lets go get it!

((You have just completed the pit!))

Default (Optional) Muck Doom

Go back up the stairs and look to your south east. You remember those furnaces? We want to aim for them.

Once at the furnaces, we want to drop down.

Off the platform and all the way down into the lava.

Where you will fight the avatar of Juiblex.

DO NOT use fire or acid, IIRC they heal him. he is immune to cold, electric, and sonic. Just bash him to death as best you can. This optional give 25% of the base quest xp as a xp reward for killing.

Head to the back of this cave thingy and find your chest.

Goodluck on getting the rare Muck Doom!

(in all my years of playing I have only managed to get 5 muck dooms)

You have just completed the pit and it's Muck Doom optional!
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 08-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Hero

Default Awesome walkthrough

Awesome job with the walkthru, I'm sure it will help lots of the people who fear the Pit. I'll see you There!

Lord Newbie

Very informative! The little funny bits also make it an interesting read. Definitely bookmarked for later use (though, to be honest, I generally just follow you around through it anyway :-D).
    Alts: Arieanne Wightsbane. Mercifulll Fate, Ariesta Tre'Dain, Conqueste Sojurne, Mysadventure Calamitas, Flawlless Victorie, Ransaque Bonus, Ingenius Debilitation, Persistence, Theholyhand Grenade, Dyerseve, and many others...

Nicely done

Oh....only 5 muckdooms? Never pulled one in all my time when there were European servers, and only one since starting on the US servers
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lord_Newbie View Post
    Awesome job with the walkthru, I'm sure it will help lots of the people who fear the Pit. I'll see you There!

Lord Newbie
    Thanks, hopefully it's in the right place and hopefully it reads well enough to follow. I used more pictures than I wanted to but I felt without them, no one will understand what I meant unless they knew the pit as well as I did.
    Definitely see you there! I'm not done with this quest by a long-shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Arysta View Post
    Very informative! The little funny bits also make it an interesting read. Definitely bookmarked for later use (though, to be honest, I generally just follow you around through it anyway :-D).
    Thank you! You might pick it up one of these days lol. You've been doing well so far. Another couple of runs and I think you'll be able to take point next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    Nicely done

Oh....only 5 muckdooms? Never pulled one in all my time when there were European servers, and only one since starting on the US servers
    I'm afraid so. I do run the pit a LOT. I've 36 characters and a couple of TR's. Each of my toon runs the pit several times.
    My very first Muckdoom actually was given to me by a good friend of mine, Innogen, when we short manned the pit. Now I return the favour when I run it with friends and hand over any 'spares' I get.
    Last edited by muffins_cupcake; 09-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Excellent work! Thanks for taking the time to do this for the community.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

cool work and bookmarked for when i get lost.

your friend sil

nice work, the pictures are a big help
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Default navigate map

That's a very nice, very detailed walkthrough! Well done!!

If you happen to know the quest some, but always get lost i have some help navigating.
    Some years back i found a map of the Pit, made by Clancky and Lessah and i still use it when doing the Pit

I added a few more details on it, such as where the shrines are and at what level in the dungeon each objective is. This way you can easily see if you need to get up or down.
    ~Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent.~

~ The Thieves Guild ~ Valentine 2011 <3 Most Romantic Guild

Community Member

Default I stumbled over a 3d one as well some time ago

Last edited by WhateverDisplay; 09-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast