Community Member

Default Thief Acrobat Stick Build Questions

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions about the Thief-Acrobat enhancement line as I am planning a Rogue Thief Acrobat with the Monk Henshin Mystic?

1. Does the staff training line from the Monk Henshin Mystic and Rogue Thief Acrobat stack? I would assume that they do not as they have the same title list but I saw a post on Lamania saying they did stack-I thought I would clarify?

2. Does improved trip affect the Thief Acrobat ability sweeping strikes? Sweeping strikes seems to be a mass trip based on Dex and improved trip is Str based. I'm guessing if it did have an affect it would keep monsters down longer.

3. Lastly would a vertigo item work with sweeping strikes?

I look forward to doing a build with the sweeping strikes as it looks fun. Any advice on these questions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    D

The reason I didn't take some of those enhancements you mentioned on my stick fighter is because I figured that the ones that give dex-based bonuses wouldn't work on the str-based feats, and vice versa.

I'll be interested to see what information others can provide because I have been considering making Gukumatz into a dex build next life, possibly changing his race from half-orc. I will see if I can do some testing on this stuff later this week and post back.

I started planning an Acrobat build myself and have found it to be trickier than I originally anticipated. I'd really like some insight on these questions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions about the Thief-Acrobat enhancement line as I am planning a Rogue Thief Acrobat with the Monk Henshin Mystic?

1. Does the staff training line from the Monk Henshin Mystic and Rogue Thief Acrobat stack? I would assume that they do not as they have the same title list but I saw a post on Lamania saying they did stack-I thought I would clarify?

2. Does improved trip affect the Thief Acrobat ability sweeping strikes? Sweeping strikes seems to be a mass trip based on Dex and improved trip is Str based. I'm guessing if it did have an affect it would keep monsters down longer.

I look forward to doing a build with the sweeping strikes as it looks fun. Any advice on these questions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    D
    #1 would be really easy to check. Just take both and look at how your to-hit changes in the character sheet.

#2,3: This is conjecture, but I really doubt it. I don't think they altered any feats or vertigo items. My guess is that they build the new sweeping strikes on its own and did not connect it to the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    I started planning an Acrobat build myself and have found it to be trickier than I originally anticipated. I'd really like some insight on these questions as well.
    Also, something I learned last night...

I have a DEX/WIS ninja spy and was thinking about maybe TRing to a Henshin Mystic, so I ran Mindsunder a bunch and got a (not what I wanted) Axiomatic Rahl's Might (http://ddowiki.com/page/Rahl%27s_Might). I expected it to be anemic damage as my base STR was just enough to get Power attack but when I used my new staff on the training dummy, I was getting pretty solid hits.

I looked at the staff and noticed it was using my DEX to hit and damage...

Because of the Ninja spy core and the first step up the ability, I could use my DEX to hit and damage on all piercing weapons...

...which includes Rahl's Might and should include the Cheiftan's Spear, Dreampiercer (the Epic one), and Sireth, Spear of the Sky.

Went out and toyed with it in a quest or so and it was kinda' fun.

So, while not world-changing, and if you want to put up with a very limited number of weapons...

I'm also liking using Cleave with the Rahl's Might. It's kinda' nice watching the Deception pop all of them and my sneak attack damage (about 7d6 with Halfling plus Ninja Spy) pop up.

I think--for next life or on an alt TRed to Monk--I might stay mostly pure monk, get cleave/great cleave, and a deception item/stave and see if I can capitalize on sneak attack, mass attacks, etc.

Community Member

Default Thanks for the replies so far

You are right on question #1 psteen. I just started this character and haven't leveled up so I thought if somebody had tried the damage test it would save resetting enhancements for others and possibly lead to an update in the DDO Wiki. I also agree it is conjecture on questions 2 & 3 but hopefully somebody replies with some evidence or a link as I can't seem to find it.

Community Member

Default You are probably right

I can't seem to edit my previous post but I think you are probably right that vertigo and improved trip will not work with the new content. It would be nice to know if it works and perhaps if it doesn't any future changes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Todkaninchen View Post
    Because of the Ninja spy core and the first step up the ability, I could use my DEX to hit and damage on all piercing weapons...

...which includes Rahl's Might and should include the Cheiftan's Spear, Dreampiercer (the Epic one), and Sireth, Spear of the Sky.

I think--for next life or on an alt TRed to Monk--I might stay mostly pure monk, get cleave/great cleave, and a deception item/stave and see if I can capitalize on sneak attack, mass attacks, etc.
    Agh, there's a discussion about something like this in another thread too. Just curious, do you see DEX-to-dmg with bows too (with Zen Archery, so they're centering)? Those all do Piercing damage, as well...or is it just Melee? DEX-to-dmg on bows for a handful AP would seem to open a lot of doors for DEX-based TA Rogue/Monks with a ranged backup, popping a 10KS for an alpha strike then swapping to Q-staff when in melee range.

One of my chars I've planned out is a 15 Dru/5 Rogue Q-staff cleaver. Self heals (Elemental form negates WF Positive penalties) while keeping WF racial enhancments (HP/Con, 2HF, Tactics, +0.5[W]), buffs like Shillelagh and Ram's Might, some offensive casting like CC/GCC. Beguile is getting a nerf, but other than that its still solid on paper and was good on playtesting on Lama

Plus, the TA AOE trip also counts as a Cleave, for purposes of resetting Momentum Swing in LD.

Personally I decided to go 8rogue / 12 kensei.. I think that the 12 lvls as fighter and the kensei three might be more usefull than henshin thing.. I tried it on lama and it was amazing

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default Answered

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    D
    1. They stack as I have this exact build field tested for the last week. My damage and to hits are on par with both thief acrobat and henshin mystic lines stacking.

2. No won't mix with sweeping strikes.

3. Vertigo does indeed work. I have a vertigo 6 staff and noticed a substantial reduction in saves once I started using this.

my advice: take 1 Druid level it gets you shilleighli (1d6 extra damage) and free wand whipping of the cure line without having to worry about umd.