Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Epic Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    So you haven't done any of the new EEs . . .

Yet you think you're qualified to talk about anything?
    Yeah, you tried that with me once.

You don’t need maxed destinies to do *most* (not all, but most) EE content. I ran lvl 24 EEs on my wizzy using my half-completed Fatesinger (gack!) destiny. I wasn’t great, actually contributed, and actually finished two of them without dying a single time.

Good troll, but never use the same troll twice…

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Yeah, you tried that with me once.
    I have to give props to you as the OP of a wonderful troll-thread. There is hope for you yet if you drink your milk and take your vitamins.

You don’t need maxed destinies to do *most* (not all, but most) EE content. I ran lvl 24 EEs on my wizzy using my half-completed Fatesinger (gack!) destiny. I wasn’t great, actually contributed, and actually finished two of them without dying a single time.
    Bolded for emphasis.

Set the bar a little higher than "not dying."

Good troll, but never use the same troll twice…
    Some things never go out of style.

I would re-think my gear set up if my fort item shared the same slot as my sp item. There are just some things you don't switch out and always stay equiped, except for maybe a clicky but I would than try to find a clicky item that was easier to switch out in a different slot.

Bolded for emphasis.

You need to learn the use of words in proper context.

Great is better than good, and good is better than mediocre, and mediocre is better than bad.

Now YOU may consider yourself a "great" player, I generally don't go that far in descriptions of my abilities even if I were a "great" one. It's called "being humble."

And yes, you can overdo a same troll. I'll give you this: the one about Trap the Soul and astral shards was good, but it wasn't great. If it was great, it wouldn't have required my intervention to bump it...

Face it...I'm the buy with the pebble in his hands now...

Community Member

Oh that is such a bunch of malarky.

It is not the responsibility of the strong/rich to pick up the slack of the poor/weak. Let them eat cake.

yes it is, thanks to DDO's scaling an empty slot is more valuable than a bad player
    How do you think the successful got that way? They picked up alot on their way there, or don't you know any? People who think they're "entitled" to succeed because the only thing they bothered to learn well was their little piece of work and think that the world is full of the same are complainers and fools.

You build and play with max scaling in mind, you don't have to worry about it. I don't expect any unknown toon to pull their weight, then when they do, I'm pleasantly surprised and I'll unhesitatingly join their groups in the future, just as they do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I would re-think my gear set up if my fort item shared the same slot as my sp item. There are just some things you don't switch out and always stay equiped, except for maybe a clicky but I would than try to find a clicky item that was easier to switch out in a different slot.
    The problem with gear – and I am struggling with this as of late – is that the stuff you could rely upon to find if you didn’t have named gear (like +6 stat items when you move from lvls 12 to 20) which was random loot or crafting, only recently took the stage with the level increase. So, the only way you could actually be prepared to go past lvl 25 is if you had a significant cache of epic / named items available to you when the update hit. Even with that, it would be difficult to compete with the stuff you’re going to get from lvl 26 – 28. So you end up with a short term mishmash of equipment.

I haven’t been able to properly update my equipment until recently, when the most available items (random loot) became widely available on the AH. The only other option is to run raids and quests for named loot, which is not guaranteed to produce the result you want. In any event, grinding takes a lot of time in most situations to get the gear you want.

So, if you’re talking heroic levels, you’d be 100% correct, as that stuff is basically static at this point. However, that’s not so true from levels 24 and up with the latest update.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    EE storm horns are fine for enchant DC.

I've seen no-fail otto's balls from bards and wizards in a few different pugs (albeit very good pugs).

I also agree that the importance of fort in excess of 100 is massively overstated. Everyone has been crit by enemy archers and rogues. It's not one (or even two) hit fatal.

There's some particular race of creature that are all rogues - even the wizards - with correlative fort bypass but I can't think what they are despite chatting about it in group the other day. Anyway, whatever they are haven't stuck in my head as being very dangerous.
    greater than 100% fort is sometimes good, usually you only need 100 fort.

My complaint is with people who think they can have 0 fort in EEs.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    greater than 100% fort is sometimes good, usually you only need 100 fort.

My complaint is with people who think they can have 0 fort in EEs.
    Yes I re-read the thread after posting. That's on me. Leaving it for posterity anyway.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Yes I re-read the thread after posting. That's on me. Leaving it for posterity anyway.
    meh it doesn't really matter, easy to confuse.
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

The problem with gear – and I am struggling with this as of late – is that the stuff you could rely upon to find if you didn’t have named gear (like +6 stat items when you move from lvls 12 to 20) which was random loot or crafting, only recently took the stage with the level increase. So, the only way you could actually be prepared to go past lvl 25 is if you had a significant cache of epic / named items available to you when the update hit. Even with that, it would be difficult to compete with the stuff you’re going to get from lvl 26 – 28. So you end up with a short term mishmash of equipment.

I haven’t been able to properly update my equipment until recently, when the most available items (random loot) became widely available on the AH. The only other option is to run raids and quests for named loot, which is not guaranteed to produce the result you want. In any event, grinding takes a lot of time in most situations to get the gear you want.

So, if you’re talking heroic levels, you’d be 100% correct, as that stuff is basically static at this point. However, that’s not so true from levels 24 and up with the latest update.
    Fortification is important regardless if its heroic or epic and regardless what build you play. I can't be convinced otherwise. Its great if you can get through quests most of the time without dying or taking on too much damage, but all it takes is that one time. As someone else said, you can't always equip everything you want. At the very least, equip what you need and with augment slots it makes it easier to slot what we do want.

You need to learn the use of words in proper context.
    I reserve the right to twist words to fit whatever context I find to be most amusing. The authors intent is not relevant.

Great is better than good, and good is better than mediocre, and mediocre is better than bad.

Now YOU may consider yourself a "great" player, I generally don't go that far in descriptions of my abilities even if I were a "great" one. It's called "being humble."
    Humility is for the weak.

And yes, you can overdo a same troll. I'll give you this: the one about Trap the Soul and astral shards was good, but it wasn't great. If it was great, it wouldn't have required my intervention to bump it...
    It's green and better for the environment to recycle trolls.

You can get 90-95% of the way on easy to get random stuff now. Are will still talking about your Wizard or a different toon?

Regarding wizards really the only hard thing to get is Litany and +5 nerco/enchant/whatever 1-handers.

OPTIMAL . . . that's a whole different ballgame of crazy grind and stuff. Viable isn't as bad any more.

You can get 90-95% of the way on easy to get random stuff now. Are will still talking about your Wizard or a different toon?

Regarding wizards really the only hard thing to get is Litany and +5 nerco/enchant/whatever 1-handers.

OPTIMAL . . . that's a whole different ballgame of crazy grind and stuff. Viable isn't as bad any more.
    Wizard/

However, before you go into full troll-mode, the point I was making is that the random loot stuff takes time to filter out into the game world because, on Day One of the expansion, these new items didn't exist except as named loot in lower-level content. it takes tome for that stuff to start accumulating in things like the pawn brokers and the AH.

Even with a flood of new items on the AH, you often have to wait a while to get the stuff you're actually looking for.

I mean, I'm finding lots of stuff available to me now - I waited and got three items yesterday off the AH that replaced some of my old equipment without hosing me on the stuff I wanted to keep. However, some people might not be too picky or patient, and mishmash their way through quests.

Wizard/

However, before you go into full troll-mode, the point I was making is that the random loot stuff takes time to filter out into the game world because, on Day One of the expansion, these new items didn't exist except as named loot in lower-level content. it takes tome for that stuff to start accumulating in things like the pawn brokers and the AH.

Even with a flood of new items on the AH, you often have to wait a while to get the stuff you're actually looking for.

I mean, I'm finding lots of stuff available to me now - I waited and got three items yesterday off the AH that replaced some of my old equipment without hosing me on the stuff I wanted to keep. However, some people might not be too picky or patient, and mishmash their way through quests.
    The only thing that'll be tough to get that isn't random gen is the +11 INT gloves . . . but they drop in a great quest which will get run a lot by the "ubbers." Though if the rumors of drop-rates going down a week or two after the update goes live are true I advise hitting EE "A break in the ice" as much as possible now before people decide to pillage you in the AH.

And I'm always in full-troll mode.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    They're afraid to pick up anyone else's slack, not because they can, but don't like/want/need to, but precisely because they actually can't.
    I can and have ran quests with 5 pikers in just about most things at some point including some ee's. However I hate hate hate doing so because guess what I don't like being taken advantage of which is what the ee bad destiny pikers are doing.
    Don't be scared, go into the quests EE the first time with no spoilers. It's the best way to play DDO.
    This going into ee stormhorns cold like that was a blast except for getting motion sick in wgu.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    So, let me get this straight.

For heroic elites, if I do anything that hurts your XP/minute, I am being inconsiderate.
    But for epic elites, if I want to earn XP, I am being inconsiderate.

Glad we got that straightened out.
    Exactly glad you understand now.

Sadly this does seem to be most peoples definition of a good job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I can and have ran quests with 5 pikers in just about most things at some point including some ee's. However I hate hate hate doing so because guess what I don't like being taken advantage of which is what the ee not completely maxed destiny pikers who don't have all the gear and augments I say they should have are doing.
    ftfy

Don't back off your original "disrespect" statement. Unless you're finally admitting that there's a multitude of ways to run EE successfully.

I guess I could start a thread whining about party members who lag. I mean why can't they drop thousands to get top of the line hardware and connections, right? Bunch of disrespectful pikers I tell ya. Gets my digital panties in a twist all right.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Well, the way I see it is I zone into the quest and buff. Now I have used the SP I got from the SP item; so I switch to combat gear (fort item for some characters).

At the shrine I re-equip SP items, then buff again; and switch back to combat gear set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Assuming that since it doesn't say come in a max destiny means you don't need to is disrespectful
    Assuming it's ever ok to not have a maxed destiny in an ee is disrespectful
    Most players don't want to play with people that don't offer the same respect to them that they would offer to others.
    I assume nothing. I know what I need to complete most EE quests. I know what I need to complete most EE's Solo. I know that in both cases I do not need a maxed destiny. I know the only thing you really need to complete an EE is the ability to play smart. When I'm not mucking about with friends I play smart.

Assuming you have the right to tell me I'm being disrespectful, or how I should and should not play this game is disrespectful.
    I agree. Which is why I show everyone the exact same amount of respect I expect them to show me.

And you know what? I haven't had a single complaint yet. I have not ever been blacklisted.
    I have on many occasions be praised for my performance in EE's. I have been invited back to group with people again and again.

Tell me again how horrible I am for not being in a maxed ED every time I step into an EE quest.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Some of my friends/guildies are this way. They do EE's in not their best destiny, but a destiny that is top five where they are still levelling in that destiny unless they know it is an extremely hard quest/raid then they maybe in their top two. I do have a problem with this practice. The problem is they contribute less then other similiar players in their best destiny and the quest takes longer. Quite frankly I could not stand doing what they do on any melee or ranged. You basically pike every single quest on EE and try to team up with good players in their best destiny who get the work done. This is selfish behavior and really makes the game boring and like work in my opinion.
    If the quest is hard, and I'll run in one of my main 2 destinies. (both work equally well) If I know the quest well enough before hand to know I do not need to be in a maxed destiny to contribute to the group, or to complete the quest, then I may not bring a maxed ED. It's that simple. I analyse exactly what I would need to contribute and finish the quest, and I bring that.

I don't pike every quest, and it's presumptuous of you to say that I do. Seeing as how very few of the people on these forums have in fact ran with me, you really have no right to make such judgement calls.

And to readdress what I said earlier in the thread, Most of the people I run with are good enough that none of them need maxed destinies for most EE quests. We could all walk in with a lvl 1 destiny and our 3 twists and complete the quests in about the same time, give or take 10 minutes.

Maxed ED's are a safety blanket to ensure the fastest, and easiest completions in EE. They are not needed though, and I've seen enough players who rely on maxed ED's die in EE's to know that having a maxed ED is not the turning point for most EE completions.
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 08-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Do you run EE?
    Yes, but not exclusively.

Do you get upset when someone dies in EE content?
    No, deaths are to be expected.

Do you discriminate with whom you will run EE content?
    Only in the sense that I do not pug.

Do you run it for the gear, the XP, or just the challenge?
    Varies from quest to quest. New content I run for challenge and gear. Old content I run for gear and XP. My fourth motivation is to socialize and this applies to all my EEs.

Do you expect to party members to run EE content on completed destinies?
    This depends on both the character and the content. Characters that are designed around a single destiny, such as Fury of the Wild, should generally bring the specific destiny. But only if the content is actually difficult. The majority of EEs are simply not difficult for an experienced player.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

I ran lvl 24 EEs on my wizzy using my half-completed Fatesinger (gack!) destiny. I wasn’t great, actually contributed, and actually finished two of them without dying a single time.
    Well. If the new bar to aim for is two quests without dying... I vote we go back to the old bar.
    I don't know what it is, but I know I'm a pretty average player.. And even I only die if I screw up or have some bad luck.

My most awkward death to date, I let displacement drop (thought everything was dead)... then 5 more rushed up and butchered me while I was scratching my back. So, uh.. Yeah. I say we need a better standard than not dying.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast