Community Member

Default Dilettante: Artificer

I can't find this listed anywhere, so I figured I'd publish it.

My Khyber mechanic rogue is a half-elf and took the arti dilettante feat in order to get proficiency with repeating crossbows.

Since the EP, the feat apparently no longer gives the proficiencies, only the scroll UMD bonus.

With the improvement enhancements only adding 1 caster level each, arti dill is now (imo) completely useless.

This is not in the release notes, so I'm not sure if it's on purpose or just a side-effect of something else.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

This is news to me. It used to be that the Mechanic line gave you repeaters as part of the prestige class, so it seems doubly weird that you can't use repeaters.

Community Member

You get light repeaters as one of the early cores, then heavies I believe at level 12. I took arti dill in order to have all crossbow proficiency right off the bat. Currently at level 9 and now no longer proficient with his heavy repeaters.

Community Member

I just TR'd into a half-elf and took Artificer Dilletante and got all crossbow proficiencies as advertised.

However, I've had other weird problems, such as the Artificer Dilletante Ability Score enhancement becoming unavailable if I put any points into Bard enhancement trees. (Reported it as a bug.)
    Last edited by Pantronic; 08-28-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Community Member

I guess that means I'll have to LR him to re-establish the proficiency. I've had to do so many of them, I was thinking that just a pure rogue wouldn't require it. Oh, well.

Ah, yes. That's why they gave us the free LRs. Cause the new enhancements depend on feats. And they changed some feats too.

Good luck with that, and let us know if the Artie dilly gives you the repeaters.

I just recently switched my dilettante to Artificer from Cleric for the +2 UMD bonus
    It was after switching it I noticed that it doesn't actually seem to be giving a bonus

17 Ranks
    +3 Inherent Tome from Store
    +6 From Charisma Bonus
    +3 From Skill Focus UMD
    +3 From The Bunny Hat(Competence Bonus)
    +2 From Good Luck +2 Trinket

Unless it doesn't stack with skill focus UMD something is wrong.
    Though two Feat Bonuses not stacking wouldn't be normal.

this is very strange.. i mean why helf? as a human not only you get extra skill point, you could use that extra feat to use heavy repeater. later on you can use free swap to change it to something else.

shocker... something else broke

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    this is very strange.. i mean why helf? as a human not only you get extra skill point, you could use that extra feat to use heavy repeater. later on you can use free swap to change it to something else.
    Because you also get the UMD bonus, and a line of enhancements that should allow you to use Artie scrolls, and get access to Arcane Archer tree.
    After having run an Artie, I miss Planar, Adamantine, Silver &c Weapons...

If they truly have fixed the Conjure Bolts scrolls, it makes any repeater user better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Because you also get the UMD bonus, and a line of enhancements that should allow you to use Artie scrolls, and get access to Arcane Archer tree.
    After having run an Artie, I miss Planar, Adamantine, Silver &c Weapons...

If they truly have fixed the Conjure Bolts scrolls, it makes any repeater user better.
    well.. the umd bonus is rather small.. and arty scroll usually are very hard to find, or very expensive to use.. know this arcane archer does not grant you bow strength, as a rogue you have no ability to add any of your ability score to bow damage. your rogue merc line will not work with bow, nor will arcane archer line work with repeater/xbow.

p.s. unless you splash ranger level it is not easy to get bow strength on any toon.. unless you are a fighter with tones of feat. also i would rather splash two or more arty level instead of dil, the actual level will allow the usage of rune arm. which will do you world of good.. imo.

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    well.. the umd bonus is rather small.. and arty scroll usually are very hard to find, or very expensive to use.. know this arcane archer does not grant you bow strength, as a rogue you have no ability to add any of your ability score to bow damage. your rogue merc line will not work with bow, nor will arcane archer line work with repeater/xbow.

p.s. unless you splash ranger level it is not easy to get bow strength on any toon.. unless you are a fighter with tones of feat. also i would rather splash two or more arty level instead of dil, the actual level will allow the usage of rune arm. which will do you world of good.. imo.
    All UMD bonuses are small. IIRC, it's not much worse than the Artificer Past Life feat. Yet people will do all kinds of things for a UMD bonus, and being able to use a repeater without investing in Rogue mechanic may be desirable for some people.

Maybe the Arcane Archer is not useful for a repeater. I haven't investigated it; I detest Rangers. It's a class made for multi-class, I don't really enjoying multi-classing. But that's just my personal, overly strong opinion; you have yours, I have mine.

However, there is an Artificer scroll vendor in House C. There was a Bard in a LoB party the other day with an 80x stack of Addy scrolls. It was useful. Arti Dilly means a Rogue could use those without the need for such a high UMD.

I agree that the new enhancement trees make the Helf a little lack luster, but it's not all that bad, not enough for your attitude.

I do wish they'd review all the Helf Dillies. But still, the Artie dilly is more useful than a Druid dilly. The cleric Dilly makes my Druid viable as a healer, if I need to try my ham-hand at it.
    Last edited by Phaeton_Seraph; 10-11-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Community Member

They have not. Started a flavor half-elf wiz and took artificer as dilly (running around as lv1 with RLC and lv2 as RHC, who needs mana? lol) and tried to use them, no dice.

Edit:
    Did switch to some spell crit and type boost weapons once I hit lvl 3, but I still have the RHC as backup if mana is low, or I am facing fodder.
    Last edited by Amundir; 10-11-2013 at 07:16 AM.

All UMD bonuses are small. IIRC, it's not much worse than the Artificer Past Life feat. Yet people will do all kinds of things for a UMD bonus, and being able to use a repeater without investing in Rogue mechanic may be desirable for some people.

Maybe the Arcane Archer is not useful for a repeater. I haven't investigated it; I detest Rangers. It's a class made for multi-class, I don't really enjoying multi-classing. But that's just my personal, overly strong opinion; you have yours, I have mine.

However, there is an Artificer scroll vendor in House C. There was a Bard in a LoB party the other day with an 80x stack of Addy scrolls. It was useful. Arti Dilly means a Rogue could use those without the need for such a high UMD.

I agree that the new enhancement trees make the Helf a little lack luster, but it's not all that bad, not enough for your attitude.

I do wish they'd review all the Helf Dillies. But still, the Artie dilly is more useful than a Druid dilly. The cleric Dilly makes my Druid viable as a healer, if I need to try my ham-hand at it.
    well if you check the vendor you will learn that most of the useful scroll are not there. silver weapon, deadly weapon.. they are not for sale. just like divine/arcane spell most of the useful scroll are not for sale at npc vendor..

though if you only aim for Byeshk Weapons and Adamantine Weapons, you will have them. but these two are the only ones in shop... though not sure if they wroth it.. ada isn't that rare to find, and byeshk..not that useful.. i can think of several place this could become handy, but then again crafting a metaline item will solve all the issue..

btw.. you confuse me.. you want to use repeater without invest in Rogue mechanic.. i hope you do realize without rapid shot and rapid reload.. and many other range feat such as point blank shot, improve precise shot your range damage will not be that viable end game.. plus without investing in Rogue mechanic means you will not be able to add your int mod to your crossbow damage.

it is rather strange, on one hand you aim for top umd, on the other you want to take path to use scroll without umd.. if you care that much of umd get drow they get racial +2 cha, which is 1 umd, they also get +2 int and dex, int is your damage mod, and dex is your attack mod.. you can grab their racial tree for 2 cha for another 1 umd(or int/dex). (arty dil only give +2 umd at the very end.. )

as for usage of repeater you could grab the feat at level one, and later on switch to toughness or something else using the free feat swap. though it it entirely up to your personal choice of how you want to build this toon, am just giving you some suggestion. just remember that when you choose helf you have forfeit other race's greater bonus.

p.s. just want you to know.. when you are 18 and ready to face the lotb you can already umd artificer scroll with ease.. and i couldn't remember any content at lower level that are filled with golem and construct

It's not about being "viable." It's about still being able to contribute to the DPS in situations where, say, an Assassin build can't contribute as well due to the nature of his build and a specific mob. (e.g. the LoB)

Evasion only takes you so far. On a first life, a rogue is going to be a little squishie.

I was in an Shroud, where the healers didn't get to get their SP back before someone killed the guy they were supposed to kite. WE got through, but I died twice because the healers didn't have enough SP to cast a mass heal, and Harry's disease and poisons made me lose my evasion.

At that point, stepping out of the scrum and pulling out a repeater would have been a good alternative.

There are reasons, just because you've decreed you don't like them, or refuse to try playing a different way, doesn't mean they are worthless. Just that we shouldn't play together.

You people with your strong opinions really threaten to make the game stale.