Default Acrobat Threat range (bugged?)

So running around with my freshly re-tuned acrobat and came across something curious
    With tier 5 acrobat adding +1 to crit range and multiplier.
    A stout oak walking stick (not equiped to show standard) looks like this

So +1 crit range an multiplier should be 18-20 X4 right? Well here is what you get

and yes it does indeed crit on a 17. (sorry no SS)

checked my drow stick and tooltip shows 18-20 x3 but inventory screen shows 17-20x3 and that is correct from my observations.

Not that i'm complaining about swinging a 17-20 x4 but seems a bit broken

I get the feeling its working more in line with the PnP version of improving critical threat ranges. In those cases they don't just add a +1 to the threat range they increase it by the 'base' amount.

So it goes like this

Base > after improving the threat range one step (since most effects don't allow you to increase by multiple steps in PnP).

Std. 20/x2 > 19-20/x2 (+1 increase of range)
    19-20/x2 > 17-20/x2 (+2 increase of range)
    18-20/x2 > 15-20/x2 (+3 increase of range)

This is because in the PnP version if an effect increased the threat range it normally doubled whatever the base amount was. Note that in PnP I don't recall anything off-hand that increased the critical multiplier but that would likely increase by values of +1 each time, so a x3 becomes a x4 before any other modifiers are added.

At least that's my understanding for why you would get a 17-20 on the Walking Stick.
    Last edited by Smythe-Tech; 08-28-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]
    and yes it does indeed crit on a 17. (sorry no SS)

checked my drow stick and tooltip shows 18-20 x3 but inventory screen shows 17-20x3 and that is correct from my observations.

Not that i'm complaining about swinging a 17-20 x4 but seems a bit broken
    That is correct.
    Acrobat changes the base range for a quarterstaff from 20(1 in 20) to 19-20 (2 in 20); Impact then doubles it to 17-20 (4 in 20).

Geoff.

afaik

+1 crit range doesn't mean double threat range(IC, keen/impact) so yes, should be 18-20 instead of 17-20

acrobat got nicely boosted with enhancement pass lol, get LD and start loling all the way(dreamspiterr upgraded, unsuppressed and with eldritch ritual force/crit, u'll neg mobs til death)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...