Default Armor Kits on Hirelings...

While I understand it's probably to showcase what's available and promote sales of armor kits, it's a little sad when the selection of certain kits are associated with some of the hires.

For example, most of the clerics...

We know clerics wear heavy armor. There's no reason not to--with no arcane spell failure--and a general motivation to wear heavy armor because many of them end up being melee.

So, why in the world do you have Elleri Thistledown wearing stripper-wear?

To be honest, the old armor made her look like a proper cleric, something a new player might say "I could make a build like that."

Now, giver her stature and the selection of armor kit, she looks like a street-walker.

Not only that, if you AREN'T a halfling, she looks like an underaged streetwalker that's just tagging along with you as eye-candy or something.

So...

Please, Turbine, take an honest look at the armor kits you've applied to some of the hires. At least, give Elleri some decent (looking) armor again. Maybe reserve that armor kit for someone you would expect to be wearing something other than plate...

...like a wizard or a sorcerer hire or something.

I mean, even Wyoh, the 20th level cleric hire wearing the same armor kit comes across as more reasonable--just barely--because she doesn't make anyone who picks her up for an hour or so look like a pedophile. Even then, what sane cleric--other than a cleric-monk--is running around in lounge-wear in a dungeon.

While some may appreciate the eye-candy, consider the role when it comes to hires, can we?

Thank you.

A confused halfling.

Am I the only one that noticed or is this new change totally okay with everyone else?

Not inferring that everyone else likes 13-year-old streetwalkers following them around, but I know peoples' mileage varies...

I guess a lot of us have given up on hirelings long ago. I know I have.
    The armor kit case has already been brought up more than once, and not just for hirelings, either.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Associating clothing with morals is hilarious. That being said, there has been a long standing stereotype in fantasy settings where females wear revealing armor that would be considered irrelevant when thinking in terms of protection in battle. Many of the armor kits reflect this, and this has been brought up on these forums a few times now with various opinions stated on the matter.

Hirelings charging into battle armed with a shield and mace, in a miniskirt and sports bra, is pure entertainment value, due to the level of absurdity of it all.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Todkaninchen View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed or is this new change totally okay with everyone else?

Not inferring that everyone else likes 13-year-old streetwalkers following them around, but I know peoples' mileage varies...
    If you think Elierie's Bad take a look at Flower!

Also for your perusal - Duerim Guardwell - Oh Poor Poor Duerim Forced to wear a Skirt!

Wyoh looks great btw - Leave her alone!

Albus looks pretty good in his new Duds
    As do Merenon and Tempys

But yes - Some of the Hirelings look terrible - It seems the Dev given the duty of matching armour kits to hirelings is either Colour Blind or Taking the Mick!

If you look at fantasy magazines and books, even the old ones, you will see pictures of "street walker" women fighting in battle and dressed up for battle. This kind of thing has been around for a very long time. I don't even notice it most of the time.

what your cleric wears IS heavy armor

sad but true

Community Member

Default I dont think so! :D

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

Also for your perusal - Duerim Guardwell - Oh Poor Poor Duerim Forced to wear a Skirt!
    If I am not mistaken, Duerim is wearing what looks like Silken Mail. I would call it more of an Chain Dress than a skirt.

Yeah, screw the hires, they should either be completely nude or in beginner korthos right off the boat scraps!!!!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Associating clothing with morals is hilarious. That being said, there has been a long standing stereotype in fantasy settings where females wear revealing armor that would be considered irrelevant when thinking in terms of protection in battle. Many of the armor kits reflect this, and this has been brought up on these forums a few times now with various opinions stated on the matter.

Hirelings charging into battle armed with a shield and mace, in a miniskirt and sports bra, is pure entertainment value, due to the level of absurdity of it all.
    Actually, depending on the morals, adherence to cultural mores about dress code--especially when the person is aware of the cultural mores--can be a moral violation, especially when taken in a particular context.

So, appearing in lingerie in one's own bedroom may not have explicit social moral implications, however doing so in public presents moral implications including a complete disregard for other cultural mores...

Anyway, off the cultural theory portion of the reply...

...I think the biggest issue is the radical shift from "functional appearing" armor in a class expected to wear functional armor into lounge-wear with a shield and mace. As far as absurdity, yeah, it's pretty absurd looking.

The fact she's a race that visually replicates many of the characteristics of an adolescent girl in context with other races in the game in terms of size and body form just adds the implications...

Quote Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Duerim is wearing what looks like Silken Mail. I would call it more of an Chain Dress than a skirt.
    Ironically, the form of dress and chain armor is probably more realistic historically than "chain pants" is...

Community Member

Or the rest of us are resisting commenting on your horribly old fashioned and sexist comments.

Short = child?
    Skimpy clothing=streetwalker?

And when you layer on the pedo thing, I have to wonder where you mind is.

Actually, depending on the morals, adherence to cultural mores about dress code--especially when the person is aware of the cultural mores--can be a moral violation, especially when taken in a particular context.
    This part is pretty funny too. I have yet to see an outfit by Turbine that I haven't seen something more revealing on the streets of my city and I don't assume those people are immoral and/or are prostitutes

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    If you look at fantasy magazines and books, even the old ones, you will see pictures of "street walker" women fighting in battle and dressed up for battle. This kind of thing has been around for a very long time. I don't even notice it most of the time.
    It wasn't so long ago that grabbing your secretary's derriere and calling her "sweetcheeks" was acceptable behaviour in an office environment. Harkening to the past to justify designs of questionable taste, is not really a good argument IMO. And "they're doing it too" wasn't an acceptable excuse in kindergarten, nor should it be considered so in adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    Or the rest of us are resisting commenting on your horribly old fashioned and sexist comments.

Short = child?
    Skimpy clothing=streetwalker?

And when you layer on the pedo thing, I have to wonder where you mind is.
    No, short =/= childlike, especially with secondary sexual characteristics. Short, thin, and with secondary sexual characteristics = adolescent, if you're talking about humans.

Skimpy, sexualized clothes in a public area, especially one for hire implies streetwalker.

So, a short, thin, person with secondary sexual characteristics wearing skimpy, sexualized clothes in a public area for hire--especially when the clothing lacks general utility--implies that anyone soliciting such a person might be interested in immature or socially prohibited (because of age) sexual interactions.

Ergo: pedophiles with a 13 year old streetwalker.