Community Member

Default Best adventure packs for new player

what are the best packs to get for a new player to hit level 20 in the least amount of points spent? I'm not sure if I want to invest in the expansions yet so I would like to grind some TP first and level up to 20 before I decide. Necropolis 1-3 + Catacombs looks good. Tangle root gorge + barrel cove also looks good when you look at max favor earned vs TP spent.

Community Member

You don't need any low- or mid-level packs. Hell, with the ransack XP changes, you don't even need high-levels packs. But you're going to want to get a high-level pack or two first, as there are very few f2p quests at high levels. The most common one (and best one if you're interested in getting started raiding) is Vale of Twilight, which will get you to level 20 easily, plus give you a place to get some decent gear (though most of it's quickly becoming outdated).

Other than Vale, it really comes down to your goals and character(s). If you're interested in the end-game stuff, pick up some packs that have Epic levels and/or raids, like Demon Sands, Gianthold, or Vault of Night. If you're not interested in end-game stuff, well, telling us what specifically you're interested in would help. :P

Community Member

Vale is most important. Gianthold is second. After that you can pick whatever you want because those two will give you everything you need to easily level to the cap. Your third choice should be based on what is important to you (whether you prefer low level content, certain loot rewards, raids, etc.).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

should I get any low level packs to be able to grind out the expansion bundle that has epic destinys?

One pack I always recommend is delera's so you can get the voice of the master plus its fun.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I am also premium,so can give a little advice.

Vale and Giant Hold you can always find a party for.those would be the best two to get hands down as other people have said.

Anything else is just extra.
    One to avoid is restless isles,the raid is dead and one of the quests is bugged so you cant get the good gear from it.

One other that is a little disappointing is 3BC,its really fun but you will be doing it solo mostly as the gear in there is about like gen loot and lots of people skip it.

Reavers reach is another that doesnt get played often and can be really tough to solo.But its really cheap.

Necro 3 has parts where you need living breathing party members,that being it only downside.

One thing you might consider is doing runs on other servers just for turbin points. I have characters on cannith and Argo that can help you get favor quickly. Just send me a personal message if you need help grinding out some favor.

Most of the packs are fun though,I perfer to see what loot I can get and just keep grinding to open more packs.

Best Packs to get for Popularity at End Game:

-Gianthold
    -Vault of Night
    -Phiarlan Carnival
    -Vale of Twilight
    -Sands of Menechtarun
    -Necro I-IV Bundle {You'll NEED these for Silver Flame Pots}.

Best Packs to get for Replayability Solo:

-3 Barrel Cove {By a Long Long Way!}.

-Sands of Menechtarun
    -Catacombs

Best Packs to get to get to Lvl 20 asap:

-Catacombs
    -Deleras
    -VoN
    -Necro II
    -Sands
    -Gianthold
    -Vale
    -Inspired Quarter

You may not need Catacombs as plenty of F2P Quests at that Level
    You probably won't need IQ as Vale should have you hit 20!

Necro II and VoN have the Two Best XP Quests in the Game - They always get Run - Groups are easy to find - Just watch out for Elitists {or have at least 200 hp before hitting LFGs for them - NOT NEEDED Actually but humour them}.

Deleras is also good XP, Gets run a lot and has the guaranteed End Reward {Voice of the Master - A trinket that gives +5% xp while wearing it}.

Sands, GH and Vale are absolute MUST HAVES!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuda13 View Post
    One to avoid is restless isles,the raid is dead and one of the quests is bugged so you cant get the good gear from it.

One other that is a little disappointing is 3BC,its really fun but you will be doing it solo mostly as the gear in there is about like gen loot and lots of people skip it.

Necro 3 has parts where you need living breathing party members,that being it only downside.
    Restles Isles Explorer is a Quest in it's own right and a truly great Explorer Zone - Yes the Raid's Dead and the Quests are disappointing BUT I adore the Slayer!

3 Barrel Cove Now has some of the best loot in the game - It seems you're out of date here!
    The Explorer Zone is Incredible!
    The Quests are fun and eminently soloable once you get used to them - You don't need a group to run 3 Barrel and in fact I'd go as far as to say that it's much more fun to take your time soloing it than have to rush thru in a Pug!

Necro III has MANY MANY Downsides!
    -A Quest that absolutely requires two players {or skill with Hirelings and meta-knowledge}
    -Self-Same Quest virtually requires Freedom of Movement = a spell only available to 4 classes to my knowledge { Cleric, FvS, Druid and Ranger - and ONE Hireling in the Entire Game: Lvl 9 FvS Lani Vesta}.
    -A Quest with an Insane Curse/Disease spammed upon you throughout!
    -Random Traps in two Quests!
    -And the Dreaded Rat Maze {which I find to be the ONLY Enjoyable Quest in the Pack BUT which most players loathe with a passion!}.

Then you get to Cursed Crypt - Aaaaaargh!

The only Upside of this pack is it's necessity in order to get Silver Flame Pots from Favour - We may just have enough Silver Flame Favour elsewhere now that it's no longer needed even for that!

Community Member

I'm still a little stuck on how this farming thing works out.

I made a list here of how much favor to turbine points it would cost:

catacombs 66
    ruins of thern 108 450
    restless isles 84 350
    reavers reach 96 250
    sorow dusk isles 117 430
    necro I 66 350
    necro II 81 350
    necro III 93 350
    dreaming dark 78 350
    Path of inspiration 90 350
    reign of madness 81 450
    Devil of sharath 147 550

a mix of these would give me enough favor to unlock my 32 point build and give me enough quest to grind another person up to the 1750+ favor mark. the problem is it far more expensive than just buying the 32 point build.

I would really like epic destinies for draconic incarnation. Epic destines + 4 of the popular adventure/raid pcks would be around 3700 favor. I would have 1400 favor after grinding my main to 1100 favor and 8 alts for 125 TP each. that gets destinies out of the way but not much else.

Basically I can wait on the 32 point build. I really want destinies, 3 or 4 raids that are some what active, and the ability to farm TP for a handful of the lower packs so I can have some alternative leveling options/ a way to hit 1750 favor.

I've read about people rolling alts for 100 favor a piece and then redoing them. I guess that is pretty fast with veteran status? I'm not going to worry about expansions right now. I'd just like to get a way to setup some type of TP grinding network so i can get a few packs/content under my belt before I decide to start throwing money at the game if at all.

If you eventually decide to spend money, the best value by a decent margin is to get the MotU standard edition, regular price $35. (Not the new Shadowfell expansion.) It occasionally goes on sale for 50% or even 75% off (!) so if you see one of those sales, absolutely jump on it. But even at full price, that $35 gives you pretty much everything you need. It comes with:

MotU expansion
    Epic Destinies
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stormreach
    Path of Inspiration
    Dreaming Dark
    1000 TP
    Druid
    Greater Tome of Learning
    Eveningstar Challenges

My first advice would be to NOT buy anything in the above list in order to avoid devaluing the MotU purchase. I typically recommend buying Gianthold with the 1000 TP that comes with the expansion, and then buy Vale of Twilight as your first pack earned via favor TP awards. Once you have all of the above + gianthold + vale of twilight you're pretty much good to go from 1 to 28. Everything you buy after that is gravy.

Since you want to start out grinding favor for TP to get a feel for the game before spending any money, I'd suggest you pick from the following:

Seal of Shan-To-Kar (level 3-5)
    super cheap, decent favor for the TP spent, otherwise nothing to recommend it

Tangleroot Gorge (level 3-7)
    visor of the flesh render is the only deathward clickie in game

Sorrowdusk Isle (level 6-10)
    one of the better favor/TP packs in the game, but otherwise not a very good purchase

Devil Assault (level 6, 12, 18, epic)
    only 2 quests so not much content, but it's cheap and has an epic raid

Sentinels of Stormreach (levels 7-8)
    reasonably cheap and also supports epic

Red Fens (level 9)
    cheap, decent loot, pretty fun, and also has an epic version

Harbinger of Madness (level 15)
    if you really want to hit 20 without spending $, harbinger is in a helpful level range for xp, is cheap, and doesn't conflict with the MotU standard edition

Reign of Madness
    second part of Harbinger story arc. the madness chain is pretty well constructed.

I would avoid buying any necropolis packs in order to (eventually, way down the road) get them all via the necropolis bundle for a nice discount.

Community Member

I guess ill just tp grind till a sale pops ups then. If nothing shows up in a month I'll prob just buy it. If I've been playing that long it would be enough to prove to me it's enough to invest in. I have 3 more character designs I have to get fleshed out any way so hopefully the alts won't get boring. this is one of the few games I actually have a variety of class types i want to play.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    MotU standard edition
    This. Hands down the best value in the game, and one of the few things I ever spent real money on (Arti+WF being the other, early on). So much that you'll pretty much have to have eventually, so might as well buy it now and get all the extra stuff too.

You can easily get to L12 or so before you run out of F2P content - I think that's good enough to get a very good feel for the game, and then decide at that point to invest or depart.

I'd also second GH and Vale as priorities. I'd also give a big vote of support to Vaults of the Artificers....the Cannith Challenges are great for gear, great for farming Tokens for TRing later, and the Cannith Manufactury has some nice quests at the end of Heroic. Plus, its the only practical way to get 50 Cannith favor, which lets you add Masterful Craftsmanship to your gear, which is invaluable for leveling up TRs.

I also like Necro IV most of all the Necro sets, mostly because Orchard is a great place to farm XP and plat; the quests themselves are meh. Necro I is nice, I just don't like that one of the flagging quests is non-soloable. Necro II is annoying with all the Incorps, always fading in and out, though Shadow Crypt is awesome. Necro III also has some very annoying mechanics in a few quests (ie rat maze, blighted water).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Necro I is nice, I just don't like that one of the flagging quests is non-soloable.
    It's actually pretty easy to solo, you just have to be fast. You have a handful of enemies that you can use to activate the pressure plates, and corpses last for long enough after death for you to run across the hall and stand on a pressure plate yourself after killing enemies on the rest. With a pet and/or hireling, it's even easier, but it's possible to do it without one if you prep enough enemies, position well, run fast, and get lucky with where the enemies run to. Even if you fail (which is likely; I failed a few times on my current life), it's at the start of the quest, so you don't lose a whole lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledtyrant View Post
    I guess ill just tp grind till a sale pops ups then. If nothing shows up in a month I'll prob just buy it. If I've been playing that long it would be enough to prove to me it's enough to invest in. I have 3 more character designs I have to get fleshed out any way so hopefully the alts won't get boring. this is one of the few games I actually have a variety of class types i want to play.
    This is a reasonable plan.

Given this premise, during that first month I would make Red Fens (450 TP) the target purchase via the TP you gain from favor. There is a fair amount of free content for levels 1-8 and 10-12, but there's only a single F2P level 9 quest. (And it's closed at the moment. heh.) Red Fens is all level 9, so it fills in that lone gap nicely. Fens also has a relatively fun wilderness, some nice gear, and it's an epic pack so it has solid replay value when you eventually get to 20.

When you finish the level 12 F2P content is the perfect time to buy MotU, which comes with the level 13 pack Attack on Stormreach. You can also immediately spend the 1000 TP that comes with MotU on Ruins of Gianthold, which is a level 13-14 pack.

Once you've finished Attack on Stormreach and Gianthold, buy Vale of Twilight. If you don't have enough TP (you'll likely be a couple hundred short) farm up the rest of what you need for it by favor farming other servers. See the "100 Favor Dash" link in my signature for details. Veteran Status is not required.

If you go with this plan you'll already have lots of epic content to run the moment you hit 20: Phiarlan Carnival, Red Fens, MotU (3 packs), and Gianthold. And you'll have had plenty of content along the way to make it to 20 without too much repetitive grinding. (There will be a little, though.)