Default Health Points? Best way to increase this.

So here's the thing. I've been at this for about 6 months now and thought I was doing reasonably well. Yes I die regularly but less often than I did when I started out. But I've gotten the hang of the game well enough.

However earlier I was running my lvl 11 toon, joined a PUG and was told that my hp wasn't high enough. Which I'm wondering because I don't really know how to maximise this stat all that much. And this seems to be a more common occurrence, players demanding that you have a certain HP value before running groups with you (some of it I understand but again if you don't know how to increase you hp it excludes you from groups, which is not a good thing).

For reference the character was a Rogue 7/Druid 2/ Fighter 2 stick build that's a work in progress. Drow race, monk past life, starting Con of 14, +2 Tome, +4/5 Health item, +10 Vitality item for about 185-ish hp, which I thought was a respectable amount. But anyway I digress.

>> What are some helpful ways for newer characters/players/toons that may or may not have past-lives to help maximise there HP per level?

>> Is the Toughness Feat still worth anything post U-19 with the loss of the Racial Toughness enhancements?

>> Will starting with a Constitution of 14 be enough for none-Tank based characters to survive as they progress to higher levels (with or without +2 tome or putting all your extra stat-points into Con)?

Quote Originally Posted by Smythe-Tech View Post
    So here's the thing. I've been at this for about 6 months now and thought I was doing reasonably well. Yes I die regularly but less often than I did when I started out. But I've gotten the hang of the game well enough.

However earlier I was running my lvl 11 toon, joined a PUG and was told that my hp wasn't high enough. Which I'm wondering because I don't really know how to maximise this stat all that much. And this seems to be a more common occurrence, players demanding that you have a certain HP value before running groups with you (some of it I understand but again if you don't know how to increase you hp it excludes you from groups, which is not a good thing).

For reference the character was a Rogue 7/Druid 2/ Fighter 2 stick build that's a work in progress. Drow race, monk past life, starting Con of 14, +2 Tome, +4/5 Health item, +10 Vitality item for about 185-ish hp, which I thought was a respectable amount. But anyway I digress.

>> What are some helpful ways for newer characters/players/toons that may or may not have past-lives to help maximise there HP per level?

>> Is the Toughness Feat still worth anything post U-19 with the loss of the Racial Toughness enhancements?

>> Will starting with a Constitution of 14 be enough for none-Tank based characters to survive as they progress to higher levels (with or without +2 tome or putting all your extra stat-points into Con)?
    At level 11 you can use a +6 CON item so I would look at updating that first, also look at Minos Legens if you don't have it since it will give you Heavy Fortification and 20HP.

Stoner81.

So that should put me at about 200hp (give or take depending on enhancements). For this level that would be classed as acceptable by the majority of the players then?

If so I must have just lucked out earlier then. Thanks for the reply though, Minos Legens here we come.

Look for greater false life items on the AH (or craft one yourself if you can). I think it is min lvl 9 IIRC. That's an extra 30 HP. Stacks with vitality (eg Minos Legens).

Other more advanced options are Greensteel HP items, giving up to 45 HP (stacks with false life and vitality)

Here's what my typical character would have at level 11, assuming your same level split. I'm not saying you should have this, just offering context.

Constitution
    14 base
    2 tome
    6 item
    2 ship
    ---
    24 con (+7 mod)

Hit Points
    30 Heroic Durability (25 base, +5 for 5 rogue levels)
    42 rogue 7
    16 druid 2
    20 fighter 2
    77 constitution
    20 improved false life
    ---
    205 starting
    45 greensteel (if second life like you)
    15 guild augment (no longer available)
    ---
    265 hit points when I join a group

I typically don't craft greater false life for leveling because I don't consider those 10 HP to be worth the purifieds. I also don't wear minos and as a result almost never have toughness. That's 30 HP I'm leaving on the table.

Yeah, I'd consider 185 low on a level 11 second life. At least get into the 200s to make it look better.

Wow, so people really do judge off hp? So I should've kicked that guy with 145 hp at level 13? And here I was being an idiot, giving him gear o.O

Anyway, +6 con, +20-30 false life, +20 toughness (typically people use minos) should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Wow, so people really do judge off hp? So I should've kicked that guy with 145 hp at level 13? And here I was being an idiot, giving him gear o.O

Anyway, +6 con, +20-30 false life, +20 toughness (typically people use minos) should be enough.
    He is 2nd life, when I first tred I knew most things about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    He is 2nd life, when I first tred I knew most things about the game.
    A fair few tr ASAP for some reason. Not exactly the best plan, but some still do it.

About the 2nd life TR'ing - I was about to run out of my VIP pass and no longer had access to the Monk class but still wanted to play a toon I've put a fair amount of work into (+2 tomes on 5 stats, G.Learning Tomes, etc).

I must thank you for giving me the pointers here, it will help a lot even just the sensible thing of better Con+? gear. I don't have Greensteel gear but both Minos Legens and Fase life/vitality gear so I think I'm pushing a little over 200 (about 220 I think off hand but cannot check until I get back into the game).

All good stuff guys, thanking you kindly

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yeah, I'd consider 185 low on a level 11 second life. At least get into the 200s to make it look better.
    For further context, my level 13 fighter/cleric (eventually 12/8, currently 7/6) has 330 HP.

I read somewhere on the forum that the "ideal" HP amount (and I use "ideal" very VERY loosely since everyones opinions differ) is roughly 20-30HP per level depending on class. So far this had proven quite handy for me as a rough guide for classes I am not familiar with such as Rogues, whereas for classes like Fighters who get tons of HP it doesn't really matter so much.

If you are now at or over 200-220HP then you are doing alright in my book

Stoner81.

Community Member DiamondPrinceJC's Avatar
    In the dark forests of an exotic plane called Oregon

Cool Judging on HP

This has happened to me as well. I immediately squelch the player that does it to me as he/she is not worth playing with ANYWHERE down the road. I was low on my drow assassin's HP first life and was excluded from groups. The PUGs I was "allowed" to join usually ended up with me being the highest or the second highes kills and rarely ever died. I think there are some quests when lower HP characters need to be guarded a bit more, but let them play!!
    If you want to be a Hardcore Snob about it then put a min HP on your LFM... that way I know who to squelch :P

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPrinceJC View Post
    The PUGs I was "allowed" to join usually ended up with me being the highest or the second highes kills and rarely ever died.
    Tracking kill count isn't much better than trying to screen players by HP. Unless everyone is killing their own enemies, kill count is largely dependent on who can attack the fastest. Less so on actual damage output.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

I've been around since just after DDO went F2P, but I've been on and off till a couple of months ago, when I really got back into the game. I finally got my first character to level 20 and noticed I was having difficulty pulling my weight, so I posted in the appropriate forums here looking for advice. I got it, and it has since helped me turn my barely passable Sorcerer into an Epic powerhouse.

A large part of the advice I was given concerned HP. At the time I had barely managed 220 at lvl 20. Now I've got him at almost 500 (at lvl 25) before ship buffs/etc. I'm loving it, especially since I've discovered the awesomeness of a high UMD and how it promotes self-healing, which can be useful in emergency situations even when the party has a dedicated healer.

Increasing your HP as much as you can is definitely a good thing to do, but I don't think of set values as a good reason for discrimination (or any other "reason" for that matter, discrimination is simply wrong). I mean, if people want to give advice on how to improve your HP, that's awesome, and there's a good deal of useful advice here.

My only additional thoughts are to be the best you can be at what you do and continue to seek advice if you want to improve/aren't sure you're doing the best you can. It's the only way to learn. Granted we get to deal with elitists who stick their noses high in the air at us sometimes, but you get that anywhere.

At any rate, looks to me like you've got a decent handle on things and a lot of helpful advice to work with. The only other thing to do, really, is keep at it until you find what works best for you. Good hunting!