Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default Gatekeeper lore quiz

Q1: What's wrong with the two Gatekeepers in this picture?

Q2: What's wrong with what this Gatekeeper is telling you?

Q3: Will Turbine fix either of these in U20?

Community Member

Q1: Gatekeepers are a Druidic Sect, and Druidic Oaths forbid wearing Metal Armor.

Q2: The Gatekeepers were formed during the Invasion of Xoriat, not Dal Quor. Dal Quor's invasion was the Truthful One/Stormreaver Storyline.

Q3: Most Likely no because people don't care enough about the Lore to notice the issues.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by John_Rove View Post
    Q1: Gatekeepers are a Druidic Sect, and Druidic Oaths forbid wearing Metal Armor.

Q2: The Gatekeepers were formed during the Invasion of Xoriat, not Dal Quor. Dal Quor's invasion was the Truthful One/Stormreaver Storyline.

Q3: Most Likely no because people don't care enough about the Lore to notice the issues.
    Oh man, you're so close.

Close enough that I'll give it

We have a winner! The Gatekeepers banished the Xorian Daelkyr to Khyber 10,000 years ago and closed the gateways to Xoriat, nothing to do with the Quori from Dal Quor who were banished by the Stormreaver and the Truthful One 40,000 years ago.

Speaking about picture one, where does the lore about no metal armor come from? It's always made me scratch my head a bit as metal comes out of the ground and is a part of nature. Also if metal armor is a no no, why is a scimitar or sickle ok, they have metal blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Speaking about picture one, where does the lore about no metal armor come from? It's always made me scratch my head a bit as metal comes out of the ground and is a part of nature. Also if metal armor is a no no, why is a scimitar or sickle ok, they have metal blades.
    In my PnP campaign, we treated it as a historical issue with iron; whether from some unknown battle lost because of the heat metal spell cast on druidic warriors, or because of the issues with lightning being cast from/at you. And since no one makes effective bronze, aluminum or stainless steel armor the issue was moot. Studs on studded armor were required to be bronze.

And yes, I would love to see the heat metal spell in DDO. That would be fun.

I've never actually seen the druidic vow written out, so Dog only knows what the real reason is. Perhaps it's lost to History and druids only follow it because of tradition.

Either way, it's clearly for play balance so shut up and accept it! It's magic!

Community Member

Default Heat Metal

There was an old Judges Guild module where the trick to defeating the "boss" (one of your party members who had donned a cursed or possessed helmet) was to throw heat metal on it and have him wrench it off. I can't remember the name.

Actually it is very possible for Druids to wear and use metal, but that is based off of a 3.5e Feat

Oaths of Iron (Druid Class Feat)
    You may use metal shields and armor without breaking your druidic oath.

Prerequisite:
    Ability to cast 3rd level druid spells

Benefit:
    You may use metal shields and armor as a druid and are still able to cast druidic spells and use your supernatural and spell-like abilities; however you suffer the same arcane spell failure rate on your druid spells as an arcane spell caster would when casting spells while using such equipment.

I think we need this Feat added, could bring in some interesting builds that are not monk splash

As far as Scimitars go as being druid weapons this is all I could dig up
    "Gary Gygax once said it was the closest sword-type weapon he could come up with to the druid's mistletoe-harvesting sickle. "

It comes down to nothing more than "Because"

I do agree on the lore bit being wrong and should be changed.