Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default Just a reminder: these forums still really SUCK

So I'm logged in after I use that bookmarklet somebody posted that allows you to auto login by hitting your bookmark twice. And I am reminded of just how heinous and cr@ptactular this forum still is...

This is what your average forum goer has to go through to browse and then post to this terribly designed and inadequately functioning mess:

First option (Manual) "the slow way"
    Open a window/Tab
    Hit "general discussion" bookmark
    Automatically redirected to the main/fluff/advertizement page
    (Or shortcut: bookmark the login page then
    Click login
    Manually type
    Get Automatically redirected to the main/fluff/advertizement page AGAIN!
    Navigate back to general discussion AT LEAST TWO MORE PAGE LOADS.

OR There's "the fast way"

Open a window/Tab
    Hit Login bookmarklet (takes you to login page)
    Hit Login bookmarklet again (completes login process)
    Get Automatically redirected to the main/fluff/advertizement page
    (Or shortcut: use a bookmark A THIRD TIME to get to General)

Things I have to do every time that suck:

I often have to log back in after a completely random feeling auto log out regardless of being idle or actively posting/reading.
    Have to log in and hit refresh to use "view subscribed threads" because god knows what havok would befall the world if my subscribed threads were not secured!
    Have to re-login and refresh to get a "reply to thread/create new topic" button because: New forum thinks I logged out randomly EVEN WHEN I CAN STILL POST FROM ANOTHER WINDOW/TAB
    I often have to hit refresh on the screen I'm looking at to use navigational options (see above) because: New forum
    Sometimes lose "new posts/read latest" half way through reading because: New forum
    Sometimes double post because: New forum

Here's how it worked on the old Forums:
    Click bookmark
    start reading and/or posting
    Last edited by Cordovan; 08-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.

As one who dislikes complaining about stuff, i must say that i really dislike the new forums.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Please add:
    Subscribed threads claim they will email you instant notifications when the thread is replied to, but they do not. Without this feature the forum is almost useless to me.

And it isn't like the forum can't send emails at all: I get an email notification of PMs. So it isn't like you need to set up a mail server or anything.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Community Member

Workaround to avoid main page after login: click on any "Reply with Quote" button, log in, you will be directed to the Reply to Thread Textbox, reply or cancel and go back to the forums.

Community Member

And the old links. When clicking an old format link, it is converted, and it is converted wrong. There is actually a conversion happening, that leads to a 404 page, because it points to ddo.com/en/ instead of ddo.com/forums/. It's mindboggling they can't get even that fixed.

After logging in you just have click back a couple of times to get to the page you were on.

Also, I'm not so bothered by how the forums work, but the constant whining is really tiresome. :S

They should prema ban the fanboi's and apologists. This cleanup would make it more enjoyable for me at least.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member

Jupp Forum still sucks, this mess will never get cleaned up.
    Altough its fun to see that there are still Brown-noses that defend this mess.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    They should prema ban the fanboi's and apologists. This cleanup would make it more enjoyable for me at least.
    Ah, you can always start a forum for yourself. That way everybody would always agree with your grumping. Unless you have a split personality, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Ah, you can always start a forum for yourself. That way everybody would always agree with your grumping. Unless you have a split personality, of course.
    I really dont feel up to making my own forum. I would much prefer that they just get rid of the riff raff here. This would be more enjoyable than making my own forum.

OTOH my work days would be alot longer if I did not have people to debate with here.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member

As one who dislikes complaining about stuff, i must say that i really dislike the new forums.
    As one who likes to complain where shoddy workmanship of product, and malingering of providers screams for it, I agree it sucks hugely. Almost as bad as the new Yahoo mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I really dont feel up to making my own forum. I would much prefer that they just get rid of the riff raff here. This would be more enjoyable than making my own forum.

OTOH my work days would be alot longer if I did not have people to debate with here.
    See, we are necessary for your wellbeing. Who would give you ulcers if we werent around. (and it would get pretty lonely on your lawn as well)

One thing I have done that has helped my blood pressure immensely is pinning a separate copy of of the forums page and setting it to reload every few minutes (via firefox or chrome add-on.) That, at least, keeps me logged in.

Most of the other changes, while I am not a particular fan of, don't drive me postal like the logout issue... so I can at least tolerate the forums again.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.