Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Community Member Nightmanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,137

    Default I'm just laughing at the barbs atm

    Ok so I just helped my friend redo the enhancements on his Barbarian, which actually translates to he went to bed and gave me his info to see what I thought about them.

    Good. God.

    Seriously, how many of the Beserker abilities require hp to activate? 5hp here, 10hp there. Dear lord almighty I'll kill myself before I kill them. Now I know why people say barbs got shafted in the pass.

    I'm just gonna hang out over here on my rogue and laugh, and laugh, and laugh....

  2. #2
    Community Member ...v...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    I was running some EH earlier with my horc barb. Going into a fight using clickies it was about 8 of them not using past life or adrenalin. By the time I used them all and engaged in the fight it was over. So I re-spec into Oslayer/ravager. Think I'll just sit back and toss boulders.

  3. #3
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    They got nerfed hard
    tod sets don't work so
    -2 str and con
    capstone is different so -2 str
    have to choose between their old crit multi for fb3 and being able to take improved power attack so either -1 crit multi or -3 pa
    - 1 str power rage

    Barbs got hurt bad by the ep, they had no survivablity and still don't really, and they lost a decent chunk of their dps.

  4. #4

    Default Ravager all the way

    I find my self not even needing to rage to get the job done. I found that Ravager fit my play style better anyways. Does a lot more without raging. The other two Pre's gave barbs more options.

  5. #5
    Community Member Socio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In a Beholders Basement!
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Ok so I just helped my friend redo the enhancements on his Barbarian, which actually translates to he went to bed and gave me his info to see what I thought about them.

    Good. God.

    Seriously, how many of the Beserker abilities require hp to activate? 5hp here, 10hp there. Dear lord almighty I'll kill myself before I kill them. Now I know why people say barbs got shafted in the pass.

    I'm just gonna hang out over here on my rogue and laugh, and laugh, and laugh....
    I have a similar story but a completely different outcome. After my GF threw her laptop at me and told me to fix her barb I cringed. I sat and looked over everything a good 30 mins and tested this and that just to see what had synergy. Near the end i was at the Click whatever after I cap FB for the old stuff back, but something stopped me. I began to click through them placing this here and that there picking these ones that seemed really good and awe and behold I had finished. Her barb used to be just DPS, But after that experimentation process I ended up maxing her FB nit picking the good stuff from ravager and giving her some good caster crowd control from occult.

    To sum it all up I don't find them nerfed at all really, It gave the class something that I find is more important that just straight DPS and that's flexibility. She can Kill, she can heal, and she can keep the casters off her back. DPS is nice and all but it's hard to dish out the dmg when you riding in someones backpack.

    Socio
    Thelanis: Larzen
    Guild: Leader of The Hatchery

  6. #6
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socio View Post
    I have a similar story but a completely different outcome. After my GF threw her laptop at me and told me to fix her barb I cringed. I sat and looked over everything a good 30 mins and tested this and that just to see what had synergy. Near the end i was at the Click whatever after I cap FB for the old stuff back, but something stopped me. I began to click through them placing this here and that there picking these ones that seemed really good and awe and behold I had finished. Her barb used to be just DPS, But after that experimentation process I ended up maxing her FB nit picking the good stuff from ravager and giving her some good caster crowd control from occult.

    To sum it all up I don't find them nerfed at all really, It gave the class something that I find is more important that just straight DPS and that's flexibility. She can Kill, she can heal, and she can keep the casters off her back. DPS is nice and all but it's hard to dish out the dmg when you riding in someones backpack.

    Socio
    Ya after looking through I found they weren't nerfed so much as turb gave em a way out. I loved the barb class, but having ** for saves, feat starved, rage being a lil * and not letting me use clickies and stuff. But now theirs options for lil things here and there. lil bits of melee cc and all that.

    Though while they did do that, they also opened up the flood gate with multi class mix pots with dmg, and jacked dc's and boosts everwhere. Which really scewars that line of the age old question fighter vs barb. With 3 levels here 6 levels there, feats, and ED's, it's almost apples and oranges anymore. Even with rage if you stack the numbers you can effective use and cancel them repeatedly for self clicky buffs all the while having rest shrines at the ready to make sure you never run out.

    A lil bit of a pain in the ass but it's still doable.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,031

    Default

    Does their Barbarian DR reduce the "damage" from skill activation? It should, if it doesn't....that's a good way to both incentivize taking more levels of Barb, and incentivize improving your Barbarian DR, which ostensibly is a defining characteristic of Barbs vs other martial melee classes.

  8. #8
    Community Member zDragonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!
    Posts
    691

    Default I don't like it but, as long as we keep the plus 10 percent class bonus to run speed

    As long as we keep the plus 10 percent class Bonus to Run speed at level 1, most builds are not going to be affected. A lot of us take only one level in Barbarian for the run speed, but for half - orcs this is not good at all because the tree to gain strength is separate from the Barbarian class and this forces Barbarians to be Half - orcs all the way or they lose out. (Dwarf Barbarians are going to be laughed at, they have been turned into high hit point weaklings so yea why play a Dwarf Barbarian then. A corner stone of this game, Dwarf Barbarians are needed! but now, pffff!

    Why does it cost str to get better quality of life to a Half-orc Barbarian? This is counter intuitive to the race that births these out a dime a dozen!

    I don't like it! I got all 3 of My Barbarian past lives out of the way already So I cannot test this unless I make a new Character.

    But I will take this threads word for it and agree that it is not good for the game.

    It sounds like the Half-orc tree is trying to compensate for the nerf and gimpness that has happened to this class.

    I don't like it.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 08-27-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: past lives that is.

  9. #9
    Hero nibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    have to choose between their old crit multi for fb3 and being able to take improved power attack so either -1 crit multi or -3 pa
    That one is false. Improved Power Attack is a tier 1 enhancement on the Ravager tree. You can max out FB tree and still have AP left to spend 4 on Ravager for max Improved PA.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma


    I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Barbs got buffed hard.

    The first important thing for people to realize is that we can no longer look at PREs as a single entity. We look at all PREs as a package. There's no such thing as a Berserker barb. And if there is, he's totally built badly and gimp.

    The reason barbs got buffed hard is that they went from a high-dps class that killed itself to do damage to a high-dps class (with slightly less DPS) that now has more survivability and doesn't expend HP to do high DPS.

  11. #11
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,985

    Default

    Does anyone have a build or guide? Or any advice more specific than "keep an open mind and work it out?"

    Much appreciated, thanks!
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  12. #12
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    As long as we keep the plus 10 percent class Bonus to Run speed at level 1, most builds are not going to be affected. A lot of us take only one level in Barbarian for the run speed, but for half - orcs this is not good at all because the tree to gain strength is separate from the Barbarian class and this forces Barbarians to be Half - orcs all the way or they lose out. (Dwarf Barbarians are going to be laughed at, they have been turned into high hit point weaklings so yea why play a Dwarf Barbarian then. A corner stone of this game, Dwarf Barbarians are needed! but now, pffff!

    Why does it cost str to get better quality of life to a Half-orc Barbarian? This is counter intuitive to the race that births these out a dime a dozen!

    I don't like it! I got all 3 of My Barbarian past lives out of the way already So I cannot test this unless I make a new Character.

    But I will take this threads word for it and agree that it is not good for the game.

    It sounds like the Half-orc tree is trying to compensate for the nerf and gimpness that has happened to this class.

    I don't like it.
    true.. though I really love the horc tree lol. I was sooo glad I made my battle bard a horc. Dudes 2 handed got jacked up!

    And idk I could see the use of dwarves. As long as you use a great axe anyway. Not nearly as much dmg as the horc with the PA and helpless and boosts, but with that dmg reduction boost for 12 seconds, and the cc thing, it seems like their a decent alternative to some dmg. The one thing that seemed neat about the barbs new stuff was the weapon focus thingy. However not being able to unequip your weapon kinda sucked a lil bit. Unless they make a separate use item buff button without equipping, I use way to many scrolls and item buffs for that.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    302

    Default

    A. Even before the pass, their best abilities cost either hit point to use, or did damage while in use.
    B. They are not actually nerfed.
    C. Your post is laughable. See A and B.

  14. #14
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Barbs got buffed hard.

    The first important thing for people to realize is that we can no longer look at PREs as a single entity. We look at all PREs as a package. There's no such thing as a Berserker barb. And if there is, he's totally built badly and gimp.

    The reason barbs got buffed hard is that they went from a high-dps class that killed itself to do damage to a high-dps class (with slightly less DPS) that now has more survivability and doesn't expend HP to do high DPS.
    Once you understand this, you really get to see the potential and power of the new system.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    lost a bit here and there but gained some new functionality, so all in all i'm still happy with my barb.

    here is my first cut on my dwarf:

    dorf core 4
    iron stomach 3 (luxury really, means i only need curse pots on my bars)
    dorf tactics 3 (this tempted me)
    dorf axe 2

    frenzy core 5
    extra rage 3
    power rage 3
    angry arms 3
    action boost 1
    sprint boost 1
    mad munitions 3
    supreme cleave 3
    con 2
    exhausting blow 3 (got this for the +W attack not the stat damage)
    focused wrath 2

    occult core 1
    extend rage 3
    ear smash 3 (now this is a nice bit of added functionality)
    uncanny dodger 2
    arcane encumberance 3

    ravager core 2
    barb power attack 3
    hardy rage 3
    damage boost 3
    con 1
    he's a lvl23 pure barb with fury of the wild looking at mixing in the cleave synergy from dreadnaught in the long run. only a 28 pointer as with just 2 stats to push i've not felt the need to TR him, or even greater reincarnate.

    i put a lot of focus on getting the most rage/day and getting back those juicy crit multi bonuses. generally just tried to recreate what i used to have. i have lost some rage per day which annoyed me until i ran the maths. he still has over 30 mins so the minute or two he lost doesn't bother me anymore.

    as you can see there is room to tweak as i have a bit of fluff and flavour in there. still plays like he used to so i'm quite happy with him.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

  16. #16
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,191

    Default

    Barbarian is the new ranger. That class that was once good, but is now just mediocre. Gained no survivability and cant have all the DPS options it used to have on the same toon. Might be a good 12 level class with other split for survivability, but still cant be raged and do utility stuff at the same time.

    Meanwhile, in other news, ranger continues to gain ground.

  17. #17
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Barbs got buffed hard.

    The first important thing for people to realize is that we can no longer look at PREs as a single entity. We look at all PREs as a package. There's no such thing as a Berserker barb. And if there is, he's totally built badly and gimp.

    The reason barbs got buffed hard is that they went from a high-dps class that killed itself to do damage to a high-dps class (with slightly less DPS) that now has more survivability and doesn't expend HP to do high DPS.
    How did it gain survivability? The day we can use scrolls and wands and such while raged it gains survivability.

  18. #18
    Staggering LightBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Letters of Lingo
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Ok so I just helped my friend redo the enhancements on his Barbarian, which actually translates to he went to bed and gave me his info to see what I thought about them.

    Good. God.

    Seriously, how many of the Beserker abilities require hp to activate? 5hp here, 10hp there. Dear lord almighty I'll kill myself before I kill them. Now I know why people say barbs got shafted in the pass.

    I'm just gonna hang out over here on my rogue and laugh, and laugh, and laugh....
    Ravager is very nice.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    How did it gain survivability? The day we can use scrolls and wands and such while raged it gains survivability.
    Massive buffs to non-raged DPS. You don't even need to be raged anymore to do high-dps. Further, the complete lack of DPS being tied to expending HP. Interesting buff to PRR. Several different ways to buff stunning blow. Several different CC effects. The list goes on and on.

  20. #20
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    16,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Ravager is very nice.
    No!

    Ravager is EVIL!

    What happened Devs?
    Wasn't DDO supposed to have NO Evil PCs?


    I feel dirty just taking the first Core Enhancement to get Imp Power Attack and Hardy Rage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload