Community Member

Default AS Teleport and Housing

I made a post a little while ago about Housing that included an idea to allow your Portable Hole-ish Home to bind itself to other planes of existence and allow you to travel quickly to quest locations. . .

I did this without any knowledge that they HAD instituted a way to teleport to quest entrances with Astral Shards in Update 19.

My problem is, I don't like the way they did it.

I was ok when I suggested it with Housing, binding your House to the Astral plane to access several quest locations on the same "plane" makes sense. Paying astral shards per teleport does not. . .it should be 3 AS to bind your House to Astral plane.

Can we convince Turbine to combine this with Housing? I think it would make a good middle-ground solution to try and make everyone happy. . .

It's a little ironic that I am removing my support for this idea. LOL

If this idea finds support, what other benefits should binding your House to Shavarath, the Feywild or Shadowfell bring?

Obviously the Astral Plane could allow fast travel, as it is already implemented in a slightly different way, but what about the other planes??

One thing I liked in EverQuest was when they introduced the Nexus. It made travel so much easier. Travel in this game is comparatively very easy, but I would like to see it made still easier and faster. Even if you cannot bind your house to different planes, I just want housing. I would pay for that with or without the fast travel. Of course, getting to and from your house has to be easy or it is pointless. If I have to go to one specific zone to access my house every time, I can tell you I would not even bother buying the house. I already avoid the bank as much as possible because I have to go to the Market, House K, Zawabi's, GH, or the Necropolis - and four of those five are always out of my way (or even out of my reach) depending upon the level of the character I am on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    One thing I liked in EverQuest was when they introduced the Nexus. It made travel so much easier. Travel in this game is comparatively very easy, but I would like to see it made still easier and faster. Even if you cannot bind your house to different planes, I just want housing. I would pay for that with or without the fast travel. Of course, getting to and from your house has to be easy or it is pointless. If I have to go to one specific zone to access my house every time, I can tell you I would not even bother buying the house. I already avoid the bank as much as possible because I have to go to the Market, House K, Zawabi's, GH, or the Necropolis - and four of those five are always out of my way (or even out of my reach) depending upon the level of the character I am on.
    You forgot harbor from your list.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    also the Crafting halls and the guild ship maybe more

Harbor and Crafting hall tend to be my go to bank since Teleport takes you to either place. I use Teleport Scrolls with UMD the fast travel is worth it.

Community Member

Well, they introduced a new item, Flawed Bag of Holding, maybe they could use this and Portable Hole to somehow craft a Housing teleport device. . .I elaborated on that a little in my other post.

Who really goes to the Portable Hole for anything anyways? Just scrolls. . .give those merchants an eviction notice already!

=)

You can certainly sublet a portion of the Hole to one of the Twelve though. . .

Perhaps binding your House to different planes could be something that they add in the future, as the AS to teleport feature is already implemented. . .I still stand behind my idea to allow companions/pets to help out around the House and level up as well.

Oh wait, they have instituted Experience points in small denominations that might be used in the future to level up pets??

Maybe I am just one step behind the development curve! hehehe

Has anyone heard about companions leveling up/being used in Housing elsewhere?

Farshifters, portals and teleport circles are fairly easy to hire or build, there isn't a real problem with this.
    As long as the city tightens up the security, because we know the Twelve is not quite up for it

We can't even have an airship tower in house C because of this.
    Maybe the city just needs a good ferry going round these towers, this would do the trick.
    That way if some dragon puts nest on top of one the guards can just yellow ribbon the area.
    Not that it'd happen anyways, the other dragons lurking in the city won't stand for it.

Housing however may be a bit harder, you are talking Xen'drik and the Planes, and isn't clear which one is more dangerous.
    Stormreach is fully fortified and barely keeps invaders away, who manage to break in quite often.
    It'd be like Nash Braza's farm with Lolth knocking on the door.

Cormyr, however, looks like fair game. Everyone in FR seems used to trouble dwelling around.
    No one would mind a bunch of extra castles in the neighborhood, at least if you stay near the road.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Thumbs up

This thread has merit. I would like to see this happen too.

This totally breaks the market of the game, as guild ships already fill and fit this role. No one said that guild ships had to have more members than/then one. "insert name", the Guild of one.

Want player housing there you go. Just make your own house in the sky and call it your own.

I do not see individual player housing ever happening in this game when guild ships have already fit this nitch for the games market and functions.

Although a house with trophies to show off our accomplishments and that is it, is cool. Much like the game, 'Civilization IV', by Sid Meijer. We had a throne room full of cool stuff and cool graphics that we could choose from based on how well we did in the game, but it really did not mean anything other than bragging rights. I would pay for this as long is it did not get out of hand. A really earned, (not ddo store bought) plus 5 tome could be show cased for example even though our character already read its pages.

I like this thread, it makes us want to stay in the game. I want to see both guild ships and player housing too, but housing in a game such as this needs to be carefully done and learned from other games what works and was does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Well, I don't often go to the harbor to be honest. On my characters that can teleport, I just teleport to the House K bank and teleport out. For those characters who cannot, no way am I running across the marketplace, zone to the harbor and then run clear across the harbor. I'd rather use the marketplace bank, instead.

As for the suggestion to go to the crafting halls, no thanks. It takes almost two minutes to zone into the crafting hall (yes, my computer is old and yes I will be replacing it next month).

Well, I don't often go to the harbor to be honest. On my characters that can teleport, I just teleport to the House K bank and teleport out. For those characters who cannot, no way am I running across the marketplace, zone to the harbor and then run clear across the harbor. I'd rather use the marketplace bank, instead.

As for the suggestion to go to the crafting halls, no thanks. It takes almost two minutes to zone into the crafting hall (yes, my computer is old and yes I will be replacing it next month).
    It's not just your computer. The House K crafting hall can take forever to load, and don't make the mistake of logging out there.

OT: I'm sort of meh on the housing. Anything that I may want to add to a house is already on my guild's airship. We have a bar, and a banker right next to each other, so I can sell junk, swap spells around on the two characters that matter, and shuffle stuff around my shared bank. I'm not going to come down firmly against the idea, for some people it's a nice feature, and that's more than valid. For me, it's not something that I'd spend a lot of time with, so I'm not overly excited about the concept.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    This thread has merit. I would like to see this happen too.

This totally breaks the market of the game, as guild ships already fill and fit this role. No one said that guild ships had to have more members than/then one. "insert name", the Guild of one.

Want player housing there you go. Just make your own house in the sky and call it your own.

I do not see individual player housing ever happening in this game when guild ships have already fit this nitch for the games market and functions.

Although a house with trophies to show off our accomplishments and that is it, is cool. Much like the game, 'Civilization IV', by Sid Meijer. We had a throne room full of cool stuff and cool graphics that we could choose from based on how well we did in the game, but it really did not mean anything other than bragging rights. I would pay for this as long is it did not get out of hand. A really earned, (not ddo store bought) plus 5 tome could be show cased for example even though our character already read its pages.

I like this thread, it makes us want to stay in the game. I want to see both guild ships and player housing too, but housing in a game such as this needs to be carefully done and learned from other games what works and was does not work.
    I agree about Player-Housing having to fill a different niche.

Here are some of my conglomerated ideas. . .

I would like Housing to give us access to more Raid-like events in the future. That way, we choose Housing now, but we use it to access more raid/challenge-like events from one single location. You should be able to start on your guild ship and then port to whoever's house is "anchored" (astral shards) for that time-period. Some events might require that more than ONE house is linked to the astral plane, or perhaps it requires Shavarath War Trophies or other demonic items to bind your house to Shavarath, or for instance, Lammania Lily Petals to bind your house to Lammania. . . .

If from your house, you have to inform the steward you will be leaving to fight in the *insert name of event here* and in order to anchor your house from being pulled apart by the teleportative forces, (think: Acquisitions Incorporated) you must leave him some astral shards to bind your house to the astral plane. Alternatively, it could require a small amount of AS to bind your house for a set period of time so you could become involved with as many "events" as you want, during that period. The events should feel like halfway between a quest and a raid, ideally. The modules/companions should require both ingredients and XP tokens to upgrade, but with the modules requiring added cost and difficulty to upgrade.

AND I want. . .my Mephit to be my librarian (with according bonuses/penalties). The Earth Elemental gets to be the cook and make me Tasty Ham because he knows all about Stone Soup. The Kobold gets to send to me world events in the Sewers because, he remembers Waterworks. While the Shadow Gargoyle gets to send me to the Mabar end fight with a little twist OR perhaps to a Shadowfell Conspiracy themed event. The Tressym would make an excellent butler (especially the tuxedo Tressym). Pseudodragons might guard the Treasure room while the owlbear companion would make a fine feather-duster and perhaps assist in the library (even promoted to head libarian!). In order to "set" a companion on one of these slots, it should require something similar to slotting an amenity is to a airship. I would think that some slots could be filled by any of the companions but would give different effects or bonuses depending on the action performed (entering instance/crafting/unique rewards)

If they are gonna suggest that we buy-in to housing, I want to hear how it is going to function. . .player-housing needs to be functional and dynamic, Turbine certainly has the ability to deliver on both.

Housing could do the same with entering challenge type questing or raids, it could provide a pocket dimension or astral domain with which to access these quests/challenges/raids more easily.

If companions were utilized and had a purpose in the Housing scheme, I would purchase more.

If there were additional modules, like the Library, Kitchen, and Watchtower, I would be compelled to purchase additional modules as well, and buy additional companions to slot into those modules.

I want the Portable Hole-in-a-box, and a way to enter far away quests/challenges/raids quickly. In order to do that though, it might allow you to transport into a quest/unique challenge, similar to the Planescaller function for zones.

In addition, the new Lammania item: Flawed Bag of Holding, could allow you to add additional content somehow.

If modules are implemented, it could be explained as turning the flawed bag inside out within the pocket dimension BEFORE repairing it. Thus, creating a space-within-a-space.

I think it would be fun to acquire the items/people needed to make the portal dimension/modules via a quest or collecting ingredients.

I think my suggestion of using Astral Shards to bind your house to the Astral Plane is a good one. . .also, using the Flawed Bag of Holding item and other ingredients to add more rooms seems like a great way to add more value to your house and encourage running ingredient-based quests/challenges/raids.

Slotting companions instead of amenities would seem like a very easy thing to code. If given a defined use within housing, I would certainly buy more creature companions. Perhaps even a hireling to defend my house from time-to-time, from Astral invaders perhaps? I am thinking an event similar to Picture Portals but only when your house is bound to the Astral plane?

In addition, I would like to be able to use Universal Challenge tokens to attempt to read a Nether Scroll, and make the results AWESOME!

I would buy more than ONE picture to hang on the walls if I had a CHANCE at receiving more Astral Shards then it cost to bind my house for that duration. . .

In my suggestion, if I need Orthon Metal scraps, then I might slot my Gargoyle in my Watchtower to provide additional scraps when I run ToD, without having to run a challenge at all, they might drop directly from mobs, automatically like Collectables but linked with Housing.

Conversely, if I slotted my Poison dart frog in the Kitchen, I might get additional Poison Trap parts when disabling Acid traps. . .I know it doesn't exist, just a fun example to add another item that would be worth collecting!

Additionally, if people wanted to come to my house and run quests/challenges, they would get additional ingredients as well. . .but they certainly aren't required to come! With the additional items/scraps, I might be able to upgrade a new module. . .

I am suggesting that the companions, when slotted in different amenity slots and in different modules would provide a small incentive boost or perk. I don't think it should be anything game-breaking though. I would think that Silver/Gold dice rolls might even grant you temporary house companions.

I agree that housing should have additional storage space, and being able to access other characters inventory is certainly important, but it only makes since that it links with other quest/challenge areas to quickly deposit quest/raid rewards into the storage as well, since you will be using them with the House.

This is a great game and we could use something very large in scope to attract new players and really catch their eye. I don't think that a new raid is going to do that on it's own, so I am in favor of working on something that can be progressively added to.

I don't see the buffs being any easier to obtain, because they would require that your friend is there to give you access to the housing. Also, the companions/modules should offer you access to specific quests/benefits, on the other hand, you could take guild buffs and run anything. You lose a little flexibity by requiring that you have certain House Modules to perform certain actions. Very similar to requiring certain altars to do crafting, but in this case, it requires the module, THEN the Altar, and then the Companion.

Do you think Astral Shards and binding your house is a reasonable cost for the convenience of accessing challenges/specific quests/raids from one location?

The buffs also are not competitive with guilds because they would not be buffs on your attributes or combat abilities. That is definitely in the realm of guild ships.

I see the House bonuses that you get from companions increasing the amount of ingredients/drops that you get from the particular quests/modules that you have purchased/made within your house.

I don't see the House as something that you have to level up necessarily, if leveling had to become part of the Instanced housing they could adjust the curve to something that made sense. . .I see player-housing more as something that you have to slowly improve through ingredients, tokens, TP and Companions (and leveling them).

Airships are purchasable and great for allowing you to get quickly to your house after you are buffed!

The House is something that take multi-ingredients to bind and allows you to enter specific challenge/quests/raids quickly depending on where your House is bound to.

The Airship is flexible in this regards, the set of quest that you can enter from House is based upon where you have bound the House to.

I do not think more than one chests worth of storage should be available until you add a specific House module for it, perhaps a Treasure Room module as a distant upgrade, and that would require a Pseudodragon to guard your treasure horde!

Do you think Astral Shards and binding your house is a reasonable cost for the convenience of accessing challenges/specific quests/raids from one location?
    No, I do not. If you require me to spend Astral Shards to do something in this game (other than buying an airship), it is not going to happen - and the only reason I will spend them on an airship is because it is a one-off purchase that only occurs very infrequently and only three times at most. Having to spend Astral Shards on something I am potentially going to do repeatedly and often means I will not engage.

Another thought: Why are people so gung ho to start putting things in game that require you to spend Astral Shards? I am fine with buying Turbine Points (and buy them when I am able), but I have no intention of starting to buy Astral Shards. I am surprised at the number of people who are willing to do this (and apparently think it is a good idea).

EDIT: Also, your post is way too &*#$ long!

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

We have Guild Ships that provide buffs and amenities and travel options to places.

I would rather any development time to improve transportation (but not direcly to quests because to me that is just moronically lazy) or "housing" was spent on improving what people have already invested time and effort into. Allow more customisation of airships, provide cabins if you need do, provide more amenities and more rewards in some of the gaps where your guild gets nothing for gaining levels. Now that sense has prevailed and we have turned off Guild Renown Decay hopefully for good, there's never been a better time to implement these.

To consider developing a new housing system means abandoning the old one. If you don't believe that is what will happen then you've not been around long enough.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

To open portals in your house you would need to grind for seals, shards and scrolls... for EACH location you'd like to teleport!

Yikes!
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.
    GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.
    LMAO! M...D...? Seriously? - You have received an infraction...