Community Member

Default Sneak Attacks aren't working right.

Specifically, getting the first hit on an oblivious enemy. That doesn't ever work for me any more. Not since the Update.

I only get sneak attacks if the enemies are bluffed or focusing on a different target.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The Hatchery

Are you using Poison stance?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    Are you using Poison stance?
    I started to just recently. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether Venomed Blades is active or not.

Maybe Lacerating Shots causes an issue?

I don't know.

Personally, I haven't had any issue with scoring SA damage.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo, LOOON, Hobaggin, Buttscracher, FuglyDbag

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    Specifically, getting the first hit on an oblivious enemy. That doesn't ever work for me any more. Not since the Update.

I only get sneak attacks if the enemies are bluffed or focusing on a different target.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Are you using the Turbulent Epee? I have not had any issues with SA.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

I've had no problems across three Rogues. I get sneak attacks if I get the first attack while sneaking and the enemy doesn't see me.

Are you sure the enemies are oblivious? The new sneak mechanisms might not work the way you're used to?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gamb View Post
    I've had no problems across three Rogues. I get sneak attacks if I get the first attack while sneaking and the enemy doesn't see me.

Are you sure the enemies are oblivious? The new sneak mechanisms might not work the way you're used to?
    I've tested it numerous times, both with ranged weapons and melee. Afterwards I even read the Combat log. No mention of sneak attacks, and I can't figure out why.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Are you using the Turbulent Epee? I have not had any issues with SA.
    No, I'm mostly using Great Crossbows. I've gotten very close, so I was definitely in range.

Also tried with a dagger.

My guild leader is having the same problem, he says. I thought other people here would be aware of this.

I'm not having any issues with my melee sneak attacks but I've found that I can't get ranged sneak attacks when I have an Arcane Archer Imbue active. I do get sneak attacks when a secondary imbue is active though. Might be an issue with activated enhancements for melee attacks as well, but I don't have any to test it with.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

I have noticed that I frequently (always?) miss the first attack on an oblivious opponent, though I have been testing a fighter/pally PDK. Even if I walk up, stop, wait for a second, then attack it is ALWAYS a miss.

Community Member

sneak attacks have been working fine on my repeater and dagger, though i have switched the poison stance off after finding out it messed with sneak attacks.

this is both solo and in groups on a lvl14-15 2nd life rogue

i know you've messed about with poison and dagger/great xbow, but have you done the dagger and no poison test? that should work just fine as long as the mob doesn't have the red eye for you.

it might be the lacerating shots, wouldn't be a surprise if that was put in the wrong part of the calculation along with the poison stance. easy fix is then to drop lacerating shots until you see it hit the patch notes. sure it would suck, but sneak attacks are far more valuable than lacerating!

good luck testing
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

If your using any weapon (or enhancement) that deals additional damage (fire, cold,acid etc) it looks like the engine is applying that damage 1st. This has the effect of alerting the mob to your presence before the main weapon damage is applied. So no sneak attack. Works fine on a bluffed mob. Use a plain weapon and you'll see the difference.

Bug reported it a couple of days ago
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

i have made some test with my ranger archer and when i use force arrow i dont have sneak attack , i need to use sniper shoot ( bluff) for making sneak attack.

with no force imbue i sneak attack and my bow is frost and good.

it's clearly a bug.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    If your using any weapon (or enhancement) that deals additional damage (fire, cold,acid etc) it looks like the engine is applying that damage 1st. This has the effect of alerting the mob to your presence before the main weapon damage is applied. So no sneak attack. Works fine on a bluffed mob. Use a plain weapon and you'll see the difference.

Bug reported it a couple of days ago

I'll test this when I next get the chance.

As for Poison Stance, I redid my enhancements so I no longer have that stance. Still no sneak attacks. I haven't tried removing Lacerating Shots yet.

Later on I'll try with a non-elemental weapon, then I'll try removing Lacerating Shots.

Community Member

I have tested SA with poison stance and it negates all of my sneak attacks (oblivious, distracted and bluffed enemies). Without poison stance, SA seems to work normally.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adelair View Post
    I'll test this when I next get the chance.

As for Poison Stance, I redid my enhancements so I no longer have that stance. Still no sneak attacks. I haven't tried removing Lacerating Shots yet.

Later on I'll try with a non-elemental weapon, then I'll try removing Lacerating Shots.
    you could easily test that by using a different weapon, maybe grab a repeater from the harbour weapon vendors. that way you dont need to respec and the cost is in coppers and silver. kobolds might always hate you but they do make for good testing victims
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Elemental effects on a weapon should have no effect on sneak attacks. If you look at the combat log, they are applied after the base damage from the weapon. The issue is clearly with an activated effect, ie Venomed Blades or Lacerating Shots. While this is not a small issue for those of us with sneak attacks, a simple work-around until they decide to fix it is to simply not use the +x damage enhancements when you are trying to sneak attack something. Not ideal, but we have to work with what Turbine gives us (until they hear enough of us complaining and fix it ).
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.