Question Wizard with rogue levels

I'm looking for some help to develop a pros and cons list for taking 2 rogue levels with my Wizard.

I have so far got

Pro:
    Free light armour FEAT
    Evasion FEAT
    More skill points

Con:
    Shorter spell duration
    No enhancement cap stone
    1 less Wizard FEAT - Although i want Light Armour either way so not a big con.
    Slightly ess Spell points
    Slightly less powerful spells

I havn't been abel to think of anything else due to my lack of experience and poor memory, any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Mamba_Lev; 08-26-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    If real life had a block function i would probably go out more.

Community Member

Pro:
    Trapfinding

Con:
    with the new skill Spellcraft and the new synergies in Perform (and Repair, WF only) less points available for other important skills like balance, spot, concentration or UMD. Search and disable device are mandatory and they will consume 4 points each Wizard Level.

Personally I wouldn't wear light armor as a caster wizard, because the better stats for wizards you'll find on robes/cloth. Keep in mind too, that there are nearly no other weapons useful for caster wizards than scepters, even clubs and daggers are pretty rare and especially Quarterstaffs too (at least it was so before the Update). So if you want to cast you nearly need to equip two scepters all the time, but due to the lack of Two Weapon Fighting feats you will be pretty weak in melee.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    Personally I wouldn't wear light armor as a caster wizard, because the better stats for wizards you'll find on robes/cloth. Keep in mind too, that there are nearly no other weapons useful for caster wizards than scepters, even clubs and daggers are pretty rare and especially Quarterstaffs too (at least it was so before the Update). So if you want to cast you nearly need to equip two scepters all the time, but due to the lack of Two Weapon Fighting feats you will be pretty weak in melee.
    One thing I've found is that, bucklers cause neither arcane spell failure nor TWF penalty. Who cares about a shield bash penalty anyway? If you have a colored-slot craftable buckler, you can put in a prefix and augment, and a lore too.

Until you find something better, that is... my rogue-splashed wizard has been swinging an augment-slotted rapier (Dueling Schlager, bought off the AH) or Muckbane a lot, quite happily. With the buckler (no augment slot though, haven't been that lucky).

Oh yes, Pro: proficiencies all simple weapons & rapier and shortsword, and nowadays with 1 ap each also kukri and great crossbow. Con: Really want to spend a feat on Insightful Reflexes to actually benefit from having Evasion, in addition to losing the level 20 wizard bonus feat.
    Last edited by mna; 08-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Got insightful reflexs and he evades most even on elite

Deff going to have light armour with a ASF augment makes my toon much harder to damage.

I played around with a few weapons and i find daggers are good for trash bashing and i do more damage than repeating crossbows and there are a few spell casting daggers/kukris as well as some nice damage ones too.

Thank you for your insight.

Con:

-2 Spell penetration
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    Con:

-2 Spell penetration
    Drow on hard and elite routinely defeat my SP when i was pure wizard with every ED, enhancement and item so not going to make a difference. Constant fails of the FOD and such with DC52 and i more or less meant i gave up on them too unless i Energy drain them first. Going to concentrate on damage unless they release a new item of Drow swatting with a +10 to SP or i could TR through 26 levels to get another +1 to the roll lmao.

Also apologies for this being here, would have been in the classes forum but it was not allowing anyone to post so i came here.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    Pro:
    Trapfinding

Con:
    with the new skill Spellcraft and the new synergies in Perform (and Repair, WF only) less points available for other important skills like balance, spot, concentration or UMD. Search and disable device are mandatory and they will consume 4 points each Wizard Level.

Since the addition of the druid class there are allot of spell boosting light armors out there if you stick to leather but there is the arcane spell fail thing you need to have enhancement to fix that. and there are some weapons I have found that have nice wizard bonuses on them but a pure wizard is not proficient with the weapon, like the lord of Eyes scepter, so the rouge levels would help that. the evasion and insightful reflex is a good combo for Wiz. but the loss of those 2 levels will effect you spell power and Dc slightly.
    As in any aspect of the game when you add something you take something away so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_Jay View Post
    Since the addition of the druid class there are allot of spell boosting light armors out there if you stick to leather but there is the arcane spell fail thing you need to have enhancement to fix that. and there are some weapons I have found that have nice wizard bonuses on them but a pure wizard is not proficient with the weapon, like the lord of Eyes scepter, so the rouge levels would help that. the evasion and insightful reflex is a good combo for Wiz. but the loss of those 2 levels will effect you spell power and Dc slightly.
    As in any aspect of the game when you add something you take something away so keep that in mind.
    forgot to mention that if you were going to splash the 2 rouge in that you take the first rouge at first or second level and don't take the second level of rouge until like level 8 or 9. That way you can save those disable skill point for the rough levels and max them out with out the cross class skill penalty.

Pros:

+Evasion
    +Trapping
    +UMD as a class skill

Cons:

-2 spell pen
    -2 int (no capstone)
    -24 seconds on an extended haste (other short-term buffs similarly shortened)
    -200 mana

There are additional benefits if you wanted to be stealthy, namely getting hide and move silently as class skills, but if you don't want to play stealthy those do nothing for you. I find no meaningful value out of light armor and weapon proficiencies.