Community Member

Default Pale Master SLAs and Metamagics

My sorcerer is able to use metamagics like empower and maximize on his spell-like abilities for free. For some reason, my wizard pale master can't. I try right clicking my necrotic touch and it says no metamagics available. Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by FallingIcicle View Post
    My sorcerer is able to use metamagics like empower and maximize on his spell-like abilities for free. For some reason, my wizard pale master can't. I try right clicking my necrotic touch and it says no metamagics available. Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?
    You aren't doing anything wrong.
    You can not meta the bolt/blast from the wizard trees. Either necro from pm or arcane from am

It's wai. Don't spend APs in these spell likes. They are very weak.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    I think the enhancement pass increased the cool down times.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    Pre-Pass I found arcane bolt to be quite useful. It was a nice little low-SP bolt to spam and I remember hitting 400+ with it when specced for force/ice.

I'm not sure how it is, now, though.

The damage is not as high with the necro SP and the cooldown is now too high. They don't heal the pet, so are useless.

And the threee spell-like cost 9 action points!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I think the enhancement pass increased the cool down times.
    Increased a lot.

Community Member

Necro SLAs were nice because they were free (cost only hp) and had 3 seconds cooldown, so you could pretty much choose two of them and spam those non stop as your steady source of free damage.

But now the issue is not the ability to metamagic, it's the cooldowns. IMO, the cooldowns are way too high to even worth a slot in my hotkeys. Unfortunately, I'd rather now wield a melee weapon as my source of free damage than using those slow SLAs.

Community Member

Unsure how it balances out now with new Heal sklll->negative energy spellpower. Critical Hit chances might stack from palemaster and necromancy trees so might be a higher overall necrotic critical hit chance. With the higher spellpower and more frequent crits the Necrotic abilities are still worthy. 4 second cooldown is fine if you work the abilities into a rotation with other spells.

Interesting that Arcane Bolt/Blast can't be empowered/maxxed. Thing is though the extra SP you would spend to meta the abilities would result in drastically less damage on a SP->damage basis than casting them neat. 40 SP to emp/max is the equivalent of 10x arcane bolts, potentially 200d6 damage plus more with crits.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by lppmor View Post
    Necro SLAs were nice because they were free (cost only hp) and had 3 seconds cooldown, so you could pretty much choose two of them and spam those non stop as your steady source of free damage.

But now the issue is not the ability to metamagic, it's the cooldowns. IMO, the cooldowns are way too high to even worth a slot in my hotkeys. Unfortunately, I'd rather now wield a melee weapon as my source of free damage than using those slow SLAs.
    Agreed. Perhaps this is to put wizards in their place of CC and not DPS or something (since sorcs are the nukes). Pm's have always had (at least for the few years I've been playing) no access to metamagics on their SLA's. But as you noted, they were very fast, and my spell points would only drop to refresh a death aura. However, with the new cooldown, I can blow through all three of them, and still have to wait a second or two before using the first one again. I find this quite disappointing, because that was the only thing that made these abilities decently useful.

So now we spend 3 AP per SLA and get something less useful than before, still without metas. But on the other hand, druids get access to SLA's which, while having longer cooldowns, get free metas. I've heard people pleased with the new PM, but this is one area in which they were really shorted.

I kinda wish the magister ability could lower the cooldowns of these SLA's to make up for this...but -correct me if I'm wrong- I'm pretty sure these SLA's don't fall under a spell school.
    Last edited by LevelJ; 08-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.

IIRC the PM "SLAs" and the two force abilities that AM gets are not true SLAs and do not follow the same rules. Things like metamagics don't apply to them for that justification. I believe that is also the reason they do not have an associated school... even though rune arms do.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’