Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Perhaps it's that English is not my first nor even my second language, but have the meanings for "bait and switch" and "forced" expanded or been changed? I only ask because I see them being used a lot around these forums.
    It means

"Im not happy with this stuff, and want to claim ive been cheated somehow"
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubbinns View Post
    Have you seen the Neverwinter trail? It's brilliant.
    Real adventurers don't use trails, they cut their own.

Truth is, in order for true heroes to remembered as legendary, a lot of unworthy adventurers need to fall by the wayside. Not everyone gets immortalized by bards, and that's the point. I'm trying to remember where in The Odyssey Homer referenced all the portals Odysseus used.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Real adventurers don't use trails, they cut their own.

Truth is, in order for true heroes to remembered as legendary, a lot of unworthy adventurers need to fall by the wayside. Not everyone gets immortalized by bards, and that's the point. I'm trying to remember where in The Odyssey Homer referenced all the portals Odysseus used.
    Oh god spare me. Why.. what in the.. Go read the The Odyssey again.

Let me get mah free teleports naO!!!

For myself, what I'm going to do is teleport to the out of the way quests, find the camps and register them, and explore the immediate vicinity until I get bored. The biggest problem I had with the Stormhorns explorer was that I either had the worst luck finding them, or they were especially greedy with the shrines. I ran my hybrid Arti out of sp looking around, and couldn't find a shrine any where near where I was. Which probably means that it was right on the edge of the Fog of War, and I needed to be able to kill one more wave to get to it.

It's not too much bigger than Sands, or GH. I'm not sure where everyone is coming up with "You can always just go right to the quest" from? Did they skip the Korthos wilderness entirely? Granted, that explorer isn't exactly GH large, but, for a lowbie first timer, it's pretty big, and the quests are spread out all over the place.

uh...once again. you can teleport for free. Find the wayfinders. As much time as you spend on the forums complaining about teleporting
    for free you could have found them by now. And then teleported. For free.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Or we can do the current following trend of Load screen, ship, load screen, more ship, load screen, ship again, load screen, public area, load screen, wilderness, hyper zerg to quest, load screen.
    Naaa, just put the NPC that will teleport you to anywhere in your compendium on the boat. That NPC will be right next to the one who sells completions, who will be sitting at a table next to the NPC that sells any loot that can be had in game. The NPC that sells past lives in inside the boat, but you can pay the teleporter NPC to port you there too, so its np.

Prices are in shards of course - we wouldnt want anyone to think this is all connected to RL$.
    Last edited by Chai; 08-26-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Maybe you can get someone to carry you there.

Better solution:

1. Die quickly in explorer
    2. Ask party member to carry your soulstone to quest.
    3. Teleport to quest.

Problem solved.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeKalbSun View Post
    uh...once again. you can teleport for free. Find the wayfinders. As much time as you spend on the forums complaining about teleporting
    for free you could have found them by now. And then teleported. For free.
    Nope cant find them. But thanks for checking up. And no, I cant teleport to quest free. So you were saying? right, settled then.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Maybe you can get someone to carry you there.

Better solution:

1. Die quickly in explorer
    2. Ask party member to carry your soulstone to quest.
    3. Teleport to quest.

Problem solved.
    Or they could just make it free :/

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Naaa, just put the NPC that will teleport you to anywhere in your compendium on the boat. That NPC will be right next to the one who sells completions, who will be sitting at a table next to the NPC that sells any loot that can be had in game. The NPC that sells past lives in inside the boat, but you can pay the teleporter NPC to port you there too, so its np.

Prices are in shards of course - we wouldnt want anyone to think this is all connected to RL$.
    Youre getting close to the ideal. Minus all the non teleport stuff that isnt free.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post

Youre getting close to the ideal. Minus all the non teleport stuff that isnt free.
    Since that does seem to be what you're shooting for, maybe you can convince a family member to play the game for you? Then you can talk about all the nice things your character accomplished, that you didn't have anything to do with.

Community Member

Or they could just make it free :/
    The solution was free.

Perhaps Jeeves can bring it to you with a plate of caviar and a bottle of spring water?

Community Member

Oh god spare me. Why.. what in the.. Go read the The Odyssey again.

When my daughter throws a temper tantrum, I make it a point to never give her what she is screaming for. In fact, I start taking things away from her to help her learn the value of behaving like a civilized person.

Turbine, nothing is wrong with the new explorer areas nor the FREE teleportation to camps once we've discovered them. Please ignore the whining and carry on with with whatever you were doing before the baby monitor starting going off.

Thank you.

Community Member

Nope cant find them. But thanks for checking up. And no, I cant teleport to quest free. So you were saying? right, settled then.
    If you cant be bothered to find them, or are unable to, then i suggest a simpler game. Snakes and ladders was still available in stores the last I checked.

But wait, would you then require a free teleport to the store to buy it? Yeah, I guess we are back to square one.

Sorry for the interruption. Please continue.

Community Member

The OP here HAS to be a very young person, as in under the age of 16. I firmly believe this based on their first post and subsequent ones. With that in mind Ill try to approach the thread and phrase my response as if directed to one who has yet to enjoy and endure living through more milestones on their way to adulthood.

So to quote a line from Bruce Willis in "Tears of the Sun". Its time to cowboy the frell up and be a man.

But to expand let me explain in depth. Wandering around, getting lost, having to deal with adventuring into the unknown is far more D&D then anything else we could ask for, that is as close to experiencing the feel of being real adventurers as we will ever get from games. As soon as you KNOW something for certainty, like a path to reach an objective you lose that. Dont be so eager to throw it away.

I see you talk about skyrim which is cute, but frankly nothing in my eyes next to its previous generation ESIV:Oblivion. Thanks to the much older and more established modder community that has no sign of losing active modders and just like it could never quite catch up to some of the amazing things done on morrowind by their modders, so to can skyrim never really hope to equal its older brother. Oh the stories I could tell from a deeply immerssed character perspective from my time in that game, which thanks to modders was a far larger land with the no borders mod, mods to fill in those regions with amazingly unqiue and lore based towns and npcs sometimes complete with complex new quests. Not like I needed those as that game was truly a fantastic exploration game once you had it modded right. Not to mention it will always be hands down the best combat and spell casting simulator game with mods like midas magic, unnecessary violence, and so many more to make ones true wants in combat from throwing any weapon or object at hand to grappling to use one foe as a shield against anothers arrows or bringing up a wall of stone to block a fire ball.

What I am saying with all that is certain things, like free instant travel found in those kind of games has only a place in an MMO if they can use it to nickel and dime you.

Because long before we get OP flying mounts( something that even in PnP is rare for high lvl players unless setting specific) we need our wizards to be able to cast real fly and rain fireballs down from on high upon helpless vertically challenged mortals. And the ability to cast clairvoyance to see places far away and then teleport right to them. Or plane shift etc.

What your complaining about, slow travel is something even in PnP only the mightiest of magic users had no need to hassle with. That was where my mages would get in the time during play to craft, research new spells, and go about my own private adventures by using magic to short cut my own travel time while the party had to spend weeks slogging through swamps, I would be dining with a wicked and wild succubi courtesan in the court of some greater demon discussing how to help them take out some devils and gain favor with their lord. And I might offer up a few of my companions souls on the side if a good price was to be had

So as others have said OP you have all the options you need already, if they are not to your liking neither really is DDO and its best you accept that and move on.

First I'm not happy that they added in the "Teleport for shards" feature, but they have.

Reading the posts that want a faster way to the quests in these larger areas reveals to me that there is a disconnect between a characters initial run to a quest and its subsequent runs to that same quest.

For Whelloon two of the quests are rather straight forward to get to, one is due west of the entrance and you can get there by rooftop or by the road; the other is due south from the entrance again roof or road. The problem is when there are large groups of mobs it can still slow some down (attributed to lag), or the Darkness effect can make it difficult. As one guildee aptly put it, it wouldn't be so bad except most of Whelloon looks the same. Now the other 3 quests can be a bit harder to get to if you are not familiar with the town layout or paths you can take over rooftops and through gates, and it can be a bear if you end up following one of those that just runs through the entire map leaving everything behind bunched up at gates and other walk ways.

However, I believe people will come to realize that these are not really bad once they have learned a little bit about the area. Also as pointed out, once you have completed quests and the chain there are options to get you to or nearer the quests.

For the Storm Horns, this map is huge and beautifully done. This area sports 3 Porting spots that can be located much like the Outpost in Kings Forest. They divide the map in thirds.

Now mounts have not been a part of DDO and most of it's area concept has been city scape with exits too questing/explorer areas. Mounts would have few uses in these areas. Turbine also made a decision to not include Fly or Levitate type abilities into the game, thus allowing them dungeon design without having to worry about circumventing - Example of a quest made easy would be having fly in Coal Chamber.

I understand that certain aspects are not liked by some players, such as having to find quests in explorer zones. Features like NWO's follow me to your next destination would possibly make finding quests easier for some. The reason they tried the Teleport to Quest option was to help people find quests, but they ran into to many bugs with the feature so they turned it off.

However, I don't think mounts would be a good solution to the Storm Horns as the Griffons would eat them while we are in a quest .

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

So you want to cherry pick snail trails as less immersive but leave out the list of things already in game that aren't. And by saying that i want a snail trail means i dont want a mount? Idiotic, the mount wont help me not get lost. Just enjoy my lost more. You need to stop loving to watch yourself type on the forum for the sake of just saying anything at all.

I want a free freakin teleport instead of being but sekzd for it, u donkey.
    You are attempting to use a strawman argument and failing. I'm not cherry picking anything. I'm simply citing glowing snail trails as non-immersive.

I love it when children try and get all aggresive in forum posts and fail at that too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    First I'm not happy that they added in the "Teleport for shards" feature, but they have.

Reading the posts that want a faster way to the quests in these larger areas reveals to me that there is a disconnect between a characters initial run to a quest and its subsequent runs to that same quest.

For Whelloon two of the quests are rather straight forward to get to, one is due west of the entrance and you can get there by rooftop or by the road; the other is due south from the entrance again roof or road. The problem is when there are large groups of mobs it can still slow some down (attributed to lag), or the Darkness effect can make it difficult. As one guildee aptly put it, it wouldn't be so bad except most of Whelloon looks the same. Now the other 3 quests can be a bit harder to get to if you are not familiar with the town layout or paths you can take over rooftops and through gates, and it can be a bear if you end up following one of those that just runs through the entire map leaving everything behind bunched up at gates and other walk ways.

However, I believe people will come to realize that these are not really bad once they have learned a little bit about the area. Also as pointed out, once you have completed quests and the chain there are options to get you to or nearer the quests.

For the Storm Horns, this map is huge and beautifully done. This area sports 3 Porting spots that can be located much like the Outpost in Kings Forest. They divide the map in thirds.

Now mounts have not been a part of DDO and most of it's area concept has been city scape with exits too questing/explorer areas. Mounts would have few uses in these areas. Turbine also made a decision to not include Fly or Levitate type abilities into the game, thus allowing them dungeon design without having to worry about circumventing - Example of a quest made easy would be having fly in Coal Chamber.

I understand that certain aspects are not liked by some players, such as having to find quests in explorer zones. Features like NWO's follow me to your next destination would possibly make finding quests easier for some. The reason they tried the Teleport to Quest option was to help people find quests, but they ran into to many bugs with the feature so they turned it off.

However, I don't think mounts would be a good solution to the Storm Horns as the Griffons would eat them while we are in a quest .
    Wow, an actual post with a nice tone. Thank you for your reply on most of my questions btw. And the mounts cant go into quests! Only wiilderness and public spaces. Though airships would be more silly with a bunch of mounts on hovering on them. Mounts is just me clawing for anything really, and the last on my list of what to do with those explorer areas.

Funny that they ran into many bugs, never fixed it but found a way to not get bugs if it costs astral shards since u19. Ok it's not funny. Which is great, for them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    You are attempting to use a strawman argument and failing. I'm not cherry picking anything. I'm simply citing glowing snail trails as non-immersive.

I love it when children try and get all aggresive in forum posts and fail at that too.
    Yeah, makes sense. It's totally more immersive than pay dude at entrance to teleport you if you actually have to follow thier explorer trail.
    Last edited by IWIronheart; 08-26-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Funny that they ran into many bugs, never fixed it but found a way to not get bugs if it costs astral shards since u19. Ok it's not funny. Which is great, for them.
    Thank you for your kind comments.

I think it had more to do with area availability or Pack ownership, something that is circumvented because in order to talk with the NPC you have access to the area. So I think that the feature works, it just the part that determines if you can that does not.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast