Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 143
  1. #121
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    The disconnect you don't seem able to recognize is that the reason you find the explorer area "incredibly boring" is tied to you prioritizing XP per minute over actually playing and enjoying the content.
    And once I'm xp capped I run things for loot or challenge, it fails on all three, three strikes it's out.

  2. #122
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    And once I'm xp capped I run things for loot or challenge, it fails on all three, three strikes it's out.
    Your posts suggest that you are the typical efficiency-obsessed "rush to the endgame" player. You only want to do whatever gives you XP and "stuff" as quickly as possible. And it's likely that you will then complain that you're "bored" and that there's "nothing fun to do" when you have ruined all of the fun by trying to skip as much content as possible to get to the "end".

    Obviously you can play however you wish. But you might want to take a step back and think about what you're doing, why you're doing it, and what the end result will be.

  3. #123
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Your posts suggest that you are the typical efficiency-obsessed "rush to the endgame" player. You only want to do whatever gives you XP and "stuff" as quickly as possible. And it's likely that you will then complain that you're "bored" and that there's "nothing fun to do" when you have ruined all of the fun by trying to skip as much content as possible to get to the "end".

    Obviously you can play however you wish. But you might want to take a step back and think about what you're doing, why you're doing it, and what the end result will be.
    Well my thing is usually raiding in an mmo, my complaint on the lack of things to do only started with u14 when the dev's decided to start killing raiding. But hey you're right your way must be the only right way to play, I'm doing it wrong, I'll stop playing and giving turbine money I'm sure turbine would thank you for that. /sarcasm

    Funny how you guys that like smelling the flowers as you level say that everyone should play their own way etc etc to people like me when we discuss zerg, byoh, etc, but man you guys go full hypocrite when someone doesn't play your way.

  4. #124
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Well let’s not talk about Gremmlynn or Vint for a second. Remember right before the expansion most servers LFM’s were dead and we kept seeing threads about people logging on for 10 minutes and logging right back off as there was nothing to do? You or I could have found things to do so we could discount what they said, but it does not eliminate the fact that people will log off if they are not “catered” to.

    Say whatever you like about this situation. Tell this guy good riddance and good luck in his future endeavors, but does this sound like a good strategy to keep people?
    I really don't know. But will say I certainly hope it isn't.

    The teleport thing really doesn't bother me, so much as the AS for in quest successes. That's something that leaves me asking myself if my opinion of myself is going down by continuing to play a game that allows such a joke of a mechanic. Frankly, if someone were to tell me of such a thing in a game I wasn't already playing, it would likely stop me from ever even think of trying it.

  5. #125
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Charonous, I honestly don't understand what you mean. I said plainly that you can do as you wish. I'm just trying to point out to you that what you are doing right now is like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. You can keep doing it if you like, but it's not going to be a lot of fun.

    DDO is not a big end-game MMO, never has been, and is not likely to be in the future. Obviously many people would like to see more raids (myself included) but rushing to end game just to run a few raids every three days is a recipe for discontent.

    The game is not going to fundamentally change. If you enjoy raiding most of all, you may be better off with a different one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    The teleport thing really doesn't bother me, so much as the AS for in quest successes. That's something that leaves me asking myself if my opinion of myself is going down by continuing to play a game that allows such a joke of a mechanic. Frankly, if someone were to tell me of such a thing in a game I wasn't already playing, it would likely stop me from ever even think of trying it.
    Same. It's beyond the line of reasonable microtransactions IMO.

  6. #126
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Charonous, I honestly don't understand what you mean. I said plainly that you can do as you wish. I'm just trying to point out to you that what you are doing right now is like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. You can keep doing it if you like, but it's not going to be a lot of fun.

    DDO is not a big end-game MMO, never has been, and is not likely to be in the future. Obviously many people would like to see more raids (myself included) but rushing to end game just to run a few raids every three days is a recipe for discontent.

    The game is not going to fundamentally change. If you enjoy raiding most of all, you may be better off with a different one.
    The hypocrisy is that you talk down to anyone that plays differently than you and doesn't "stop to smell the roses" while leveling. You assume they will become bored and that they play wrong. Some people you may be right, however I'm happy with how I play, I wish there were more raids like there were in u13 and before, but there is enough to do to keep my occupied till I see if this situation eventually changes.

  7. #127
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,465

    Default

    The main problem is that it is impossible to please everyone, and in trying to do so, one is likely to offend most.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  8. #128
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The hypocrisy is that you talk down to anyone that plays differently than you and doesn't "stop to smell the roses" while leveling. You assume they will become bored and that they play wrong. Some people you may be right, however I'm happy with how I play, I wish there were more raids like there were in u13 and before, but there is enough to do to keep my occupied till I see if this situation eventually changes.
    If you're happy with how you play, it sure isn't coming across in your posts.

    Doesn't matter to me what you do. I'm not telling you to stop and actually enjoy the content, I'm telling you that this game is designed for people who do actually play the content, and you're fighting a losing battle by trying to get them to redesign it to suit your wishes.

    And while I respect your right to your opinion, I am not interested in seeing one of the few games NOT oriented around "rush through most of the content to get to end game and run the same few raids over and over" turn into yet another one.

  9. #129
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    at what point does this turn from “cheesy” to “BS I am outta here”?
    Dunno man, that's a personal one for people to make up their own mind.

    I can understand the business model that allows subscription and micro-transactions to suit different individuals. But forcing your subscribers to endure the cheese of overt micro-transactions is what annoys me.

    I've still got that astral shard counter at the bottom of my screen.

    As a VIP, I have no interest in AS as a currency. I get TP each month and can easily find better things to spend them on than AS. Maybe if I got a stack of AS each month in addition to the TP then I would reluctantly find a use for them, but I just don't see it as being necessary.

    I seriously can't follow why a few individuals are getting their knickers in a twist about the teleport option though.

    To use the teleport in Gianthold, you need to complete quests.
    To use the teleport in the Storm Horns, you need to basically tag the north harper camp.

    I'm disappointed to say that I think you're more likely to see them adding AS teleport options in older content than you are to see them remove the AS cost from newer stuff. The AS shortcut option is the sort of thing where someone sits in a producer meeting and they're all so busy slapping each other on the back as an awesome idea that they don't stop to speak to the players to find out how they will react to it.

  10. #130
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extispex View Post
    I love wilderness areas. In fact, I've more or less spent the last ten in-game hours frolicking in The Storm Horns.

    I have not had any trouble with lag since returning to the game last month, and I'm playing from Europe. Latency is stable at about 120 ms (Ghallanda). Also, DDO is the only program I've installed on my (new and shiny) computer (with only SSD "disks").
    See? there it is right there. You live in a place that cares about infrastructure and consumers - not the pirate capital of the planet.

  11. #131
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extispex View Post
    I love wilderness areas. In fact, I've more or less spent the last ten in-game hours frolicking in The Storm Horns.

    I have not had any trouble with lag since returning to the game last month, and I'm playing from Europe. Latency is stable at about 120 ms (Ghallanda). Also, DDO is the only program I've installed on my (new and shiny) computer (with only SSD "disks").
    All of that is very nice for you. Doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have to either run through hug amount of wilderness areas or PAY to get to a quest entrance. As someone who likes the explorer zones, I still say it's poor and shameful money grabbing design.

  12. #132
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    All of that is very nice for you. Doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have to either run through hug amount of wilderness areas or PAY to get to a quest entrance. As someone who likes the explorer zones, I still say it's poor and shameful money grabbing design.
    Which is it you are really objecting to?

    If it were exactly the same without the AS shortcut, would you be okay with that?

  13. #133
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,918

    Default

    Running through the slayer zone itself doesnt bother me. The fact that theres an AS option on many of the new game mechanics is starting to cross the line, even with some folks who used to tell me this was no big deal years ago. Many of the NPCs you can click on, whether it be for a teleport to an area, or resolution of a quest objective, have a "donate # of AS to the cause" option in order to surpass meeting a requirement (like running to the outpost once, or having so much invested into a social skill). The more visable and in your face this is seems to impact how much people tolerate it.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  14. #134
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Running through the slayer zone itself doesnt bother me. The fact that theres an AS option on many of the new game mechanics is starting to cross the line, even with some folks who used to tell me this was no big deal years ago. Many of the NPCs you can click on, whether it be for a teleport to an area, or resolution of a quest objective, have a "donate # of AS to the cause" option in order to surpass meeting a requirement (like running to the outpost once, or having so much invested into a social skill). The more visable and in your face this is seems to impact how much people tolerate it.
    This is something that I agree with. I "fixed" the AS counter by putting my targeting reticule right on top of it. Yes, it's still there, but I don't have to see it. I look at a social skill impediment the same way in the new content that I looked at it in Party Crashers. If I can't bluff/intimidate my way out of it, I'm going to have a big fight on my hands. There, however, it at least gives me quest completion for failing to, or not having the skill points to invest in them. Now if I have to fight due to that shortcoming, I'm just hosed.

  15. #135
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I can understand the business model that allows subscription and micro-transactions to suit different individuals. But forcing your subscribers to endure the cheese of overt micro-transactions is what annoys me.
    Actually, even forcing non-subscribers to may turn out to be counter productive. It's hard to get people to spend money on a game they don't play due to immersion breaking mechanics like this.



    I seriously can't follow why a few individuals are getting their knickers in a twist about the teleport option though.
    Teleport isn't that bad, though it does add to number of places in the game where we are given P2W options in a way that interrupts immersion. The chest re-rolls and skill test bypasses in quests are much worse IMO though.

    To use the teleport in Gianthold, you need to complete quests.
    To use the teleport in the Storm Horns, you need to basically tag the north harper camp.
    No, GH uses the find location system now also.

    I'm disappointed to say that I think you're more likely to see them adding AS teleport options in older content than you are to see them remove the AS cost from newer stuff. The AS shortcut option is the sort of thing where someone sits in a producer meeting and they're all so busy slapping each other on the back as an awesome idea that they don't stop to speak to the players to find out how they will react to it.
    More like, in their quest to find more ways to exploit the games profit potential, they are losing sight of the big picture and degrading the games atmosphere and appeal.

  16. #136
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    But hey you're right your way must be the only right way to play, I'm doing it wrong
    We're not telling you how to play. You're the one saying "I play this way, and it's not fun with this new content".

    So we're just suggesting, "Hey, if you're not having fun, you can (1) Complain and hope Turbine changes it, or (2) Try playing a different way".

    I don't care if you play differently from me... But if you come here and complain that YOUR way is not fun, then it's only seems logical to ask "Maybe doing it differently might be better? Instead of continuing to do it the way that's not fun for you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  17. #137
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    I really don't know. But will say I certainly hope it isn't.

    The teleport thing really doesn't bother me, so much as the AS for in quest successes. That's something that leaves me asking myself if my opinion of myself is going down by continuing to play a game that allows such a joke of a mechanic. Frankly, if someone were to tell me of such a thing in a game I wasn't already playing, it would likely stop me from ever even think of trying it.
    I agree... You don't even have to talk to the teleport guy. But astral shards in quest dialogue? That is pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  18. #138
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    If you're happy with how you play, it sure isn't coming across in your posts.
    This. Char doesn't seem very happy at all. Ever.

    Doesn't matter to me what you do. I'm not telling you to stop and actually enjoy the content, I'm telling you that this game is designed for people who do actually play the content, and you're fighting a losing battle by trying to get them to redesign it to suit your wishes.

    And while I respect your right to your opinion, I am not interested in seeing one of the few games NOT oriented around "rush through most of the content to get to end game and run the same few raids over and over" turn into yet another one.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  19. #139
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Want that NPC to give you credit for the optional? I hope you maxed out some social skills, or you can donate 6AD to his cause...
    Is that really in the game atm? If that is so... 1 AS now has an XP value on top of being a currency?

    On topic: Isn't a video of someone getting to any of the new quests in under 2mins a good enought proof to give up on this? The AS teleport sure are lame... but for what they make you save in term of time, why even bother caring about something so easy to avoid?

    Maybe in a couple years when everyone is used to and bored of the zone itself but... a couple days after launch, really? Is it so bad? Getting to Vale's quests take even more time and i'm pretty sure everyone ran these multiple times. What about some of Reaver's Refuge? Some raids are much worse. Since we've never really seen people so ****ed about how hard it seems to get to quests... then I guess the problem is definetely something else. Might want to focus your attention and efforts on what really bothers you which here seems to be something easely avoidable. But still bad, agreed.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  20. #140
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    I'm surprised so many ppl are still going 'round and 'round on this when the game winning posts have already been made.

    The real issue for me is Wheloon. Worst. Explorer. Ever. Pale pink lag-o-delic mist all over the place? A palette that's all brown and grey? Interiors of houses with no map a la Tempest Spine? Invisible walls that force you to go around even though you visibly jump higher than they are? Ooh, and how about clearing a couple rooms, stumbling across a rare encounter, and having him send you back to an area you've just cleared to find one lone redname with **** loot? Or better yet, spawn an encounter with waves of mobs (don't forget the pink lagmist), and get NOTHING for a reward. How this area ever made it past the drawing board I'll never know. Wheloon needs to burn in fire.

    I swear, I'll be wearing a ball gag so's not to bite off my own tongue the whole time I run these quests once, and then never ever set foot in there again.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload