Community Member

Default Build request - mostly solo build

I am basically new to the game (returned after a long absence but didn't play much back then) and I forsee that I'm probably going to be soloing a lot so I'm looking for a build that I can do that with. Ideally I'd like to see something that's easy to play and is fairly forgiving for someone who is fumble-fingered. Self heals would be nice but I don't think I'd make a good healer class. trap skills and open locks would also be a plus. I have access to 28 point builds but have been considering buying 32 if I find the right build. I can't think of anything else that's important. Maybe nice dps and of course the main thing is survivability. I would probably need a step by step leveling guide for it so character planner would help. Thanks much

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

It's hard to go wrong with a Pale Trapper. The early levels can be a bit rough - low HPs + low DPS can make things challenging, to say the least - but once you make it past that hump (say, lvl 6 or 7), things become a lot easier. It's even better now that you can mix Pale Master w/Archmage to add some oomph to your non-Necro spells (in that build's case, Enchantment).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with a Pale Trapper. The early levels can be a bit rough - low HPs + low DPS can make things challenging, to say the least - but once you make it past that hump (say, lvl 6 or 7), things become a lot easier. It's even better now that you can mix Pale Master w/Archmage to add some oomph to your non-Necro spells (in that build's case, Enchantment).
    I took a look at it, I'll give it a try thanks. Kinda hesitant tho, I should have mentioned that in addition to not thinking I'd be a good healer I've also never been great with spell casting classes.
    Last edited by randomcleric; 08-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Community Member

I went ahead and purchased the 32 point builds, so I guess that gives me better options for what I'm looking for. I'm trying out the pale trapper but it's a little squishy, just barely getting thru some quests. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by randomcleric View Post
    I went ahead and purchased the 32 point builds, so I guess that gives me better options for what I'm looking for. I'm trying out the pale trapper but it's a little squishy, just barely getting thru some quests. Any other suggestions?
    I don't know whether you have access to Warforged, but I play one at Level 16 now (Wiz 14 / Rogue 2) and can recommend it. I didn't take any Palemaster enhancements, because I don't like the whole idea of playing an undead-like, but went deep into the Archmage Tree. This Wiz is CC-focused, I took the Enchantment line in the AM Tree for the SLAs, and use all the charms, commands, web, discodancing, holds, a few buffs, five or six damage spells and a Repair spell which works great. Though I also use Hirelings (99% Clerics because of Divine Vitality).

If you want to try a similar character make sure to get Enlarge and Heighten as soon as possible, because having CCs, especially charms (all subtypes) with double range and increased DCs is really helpful against e.g. archers/casters on Platforms far away or hard to reach (double ranged Firewall and chain lightning are helpful too). Then Quicken (which imho is not necessary until you are able to cast otto's sphere at Wiz-Level 13; at least I didn't use it and didn't miss it till then), Insightful Reflexes, Mental Toughness, Spellfocus Enchantment, Greater Spellfocus Enchantment, Improved Mental Toughness, Spell Pen.

You can disable traps, selfheal and let the mobs fight against each other, which can turn a former extremely tough fight into an easy going one. There are only a few Quests that are a pain on Elite, mostly because of the rare shrines to restore spellpoints in these dungeons or because of weak NPCs in case you have to guard them (e.g. Threnal).

Take Rogue at first Level to get the most Skillpoints. The second Rogue Level is up to you, most players recommend at Level 9 because in this Levelrange the deadly traps and hostile AoE effects seem to start and having Evasion more and more saves you from death.
    Last edited by Lanhelin; 08-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    I don't know whether you have access to Warforged, but I play one at Level 16 now (Wiz 14 / Rogue 2) and can recommend it. I didn't take any Palemaster enhancements, because I don't like the whole idea of playing an undead-like, but went deep into the Archmage Tree. This Wiz is CC-focused, I took the Enchantment line in the AM Tree for the SLAs, and use all the charms, commands, web, discodancing, holds, a few buffs, five or six damage spells and a Repair spell which works great. Though I also use Hirelings (99% Clerics because of Divine Vitality).

If you want to try a similar character make sure to get Enlarge and Heighten as soon as possible, because having CCs, especially charms (all subtypes) with double range and increased DCs is really helpful against e.g. archers/casters on Platforms far away or hard to reach (double ranged Firewall and chain lightning are helpful too). Then Quicken (which imho is not necessary until you are able to cast otto's sphere at Wiz-Level 13; at least I didn't use it and didn't miss it till then), Insightful Reflexes, Mental Toughness, Spellfocus Enchantment, Greater Spellfocus Enchantment, Improved Mental Toughness, Spell Pen.

You can disable traps, selfheal and let the mobs fight against each other, which can turn a former extremely tough fight into an easy going one. There are only a few Quests that are a pain on Elite, mostly because of the rare shrines to restore spellpoints in these dungeons or because of weak NPCs in case you have to guard them (e.g. Threnal).

Take Rogue at first Level to get the most Skillpoints. The second Rogue Level is up to you, most players recommend at Level 9 because in this Levelrange the deadly traps and hostile AoE effects seem to start and having Evasion more and more saves you from death.
    I'll give this a try when I get home. I guess a WF with repair spells might help me keep my health up better. With all these casters, how do I choose which spells to learn since apparently I'm limited? Are casters going to be my main option for what I want or are there any melee/ranged options?

Community Member

Are casters going to be my main option for what I want or are there any melee/ranged options?
    Well. There are a few. Everything tends to at least have a blue bar to get the self-heals though, and you pretty much need self-healing for solo play, so, well.

The other thing that people tend to want for soloing is evasion. For that, either 2 levels of rogue or monk, or a bunch of ranger - but then again I am personally of the opinion that you need evasion more in a group than when soloing, especially if you can disable traps yourself.

Paladins are self-sufficient, though don't get much in the way of skill points and therefore aren't well suited to be trappers, but quite soloable otherwise. EllisDee37's build is one of the more popular -> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players.

Ranger-based ccharacters can be made into trappers, and the "Tempest Trapmonkey" build is quite popular. Most recent version (by EllisDee37 & unbongwah) -> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players . These do get self-healing, though not right away as written - but, if you do enhancements differently, you can get some at level 4, and enhancements are easy to change later anyway. And rangers get evasion.

Then there's bard-based, there are a few in the Bard section... many of these tend to require either a tome or two, or 32 point builds, or both. I have one attempt going myself, but not sure how it'll end up yet... seems fairly self-sufficient so far though, but requires situational selection of self-buffs.

And then the one way you can get self-healing without a blue bar - dragonmarked halfling, especially monk as they get healing amplification. The "Quad H" build is especially famous - though that one does get a blue bar due to splashing one level of wizard, and I haven't noticed anyone posting an updated version for post-U19. The thread is at https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mmerin-Halflin.

(Actually, don't monks get some self-healing through ki manipulation too? Evasion certainly.)

I've been working on a dragonmarked halfling rogue build myself recently, don't know if it'll be any good but it should at least get maxed trap and lock skills... still in the theory stage though.

And then there's the druid, and even warforged artificer... I don't know much about those but supposedly they can be done melee/ranged focused instead of a caster focus.
    Last edited by mna; 08-27-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Community Member

I'll give this a try when I get home. I guess a WF with repair spells might help me keep my health up better. With all these casters, how do I choose which spells to learn since apparently I'm limited? Are casters going to be my main option for what I want or are there any melee/ranged options?
    I also played this build to 20, and while it was alot of fun, I found it frustrating sometimes. I didn't go the Enchantment route, instead going Necro (for instant kill spells) and Evocation (this was probably a poor choice, but most direct damage spells are Evocation so it looked good to me). I found myself OFTEN running out of spell points, which reduces you to utter uselessness. However!

Alot of that problem was down to my own shoddy/lazy play -I was just nuking everything which is not really the way to play a Wiz. I posted about it on the forums, and got alot of really good advice in this thread: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...d-the-blue-bar

If you do go this route, the spells you choose will be reasonably obvious most of the way through. If you want single-target damage, pick rays. If you want AOE, choose Walls and Clouds. If you want buffs (you will), those are easy to pick out [FYI: Displacement (Blur at lower levels), Haste, Heroism, Resist Energy, Protection from Elements, Stoneskin, Jump, Feather Fall, and a few others]. Remember that a Wizard can change their spells around everytime they shrine or enter a tavern - very versatile, so you can't really mess up.

EDIT: I kinda misread your last question a little, but the following still holds:

As for your last question - wizards are not really a melee class. While there are some melee-wizard builds out there, I have always been terrified to try them because they are advanced play for advanced players. All your attacks are ranged. No archer perched on a platform will EVER be a problem. Also, range kinda doesn't matter for a Wiz. Consider this: As a melee, everything is close, and you beat your way through them until you or the mobs are dead. If I get in that situation as a Wiz, I drop a Firewall, an Acid Cloud, and stand in the middle until they fry or dissolve. Displacement means they only hit me 50% of the time, and Stoneskin means I take little damage when they do. It's not melee, but it's melee range - make sense?

Lastly, if you decide on a Wiz, learn and learn early about the power of Divine Vitality - a cleric/FVS spell which restores your spell points. Hirelings can have it, and for that if nothing else, I always bring one along. What I tend to do when soloing is park them at the start of the quest in Passive mode, and command them to come to me (they teleport) when you need SP and are far from a shrine.

Aes.

With all these casters, how do I choose which spells to learn since apparently I'm limited?
    Make sure to read http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List whenever you level up Wiz, because every Level above 1 you can choose two Spells that go automatically into your spellbook and on the linked list there are the Spells that are not sold by NPCs, but can only be found in chests or chosen at Level up.
    The same counts for Artificer at http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Artificer_Scroll_List

Favoured Souls, Sorcs and Bards are limited to choose spells, and they can't inscribe them into their spellbooks. They can change chosen spells at their Class Trainers only and have to wait three days to do this again.

Druids, Paladins, Clerics and Rangers automatically get all spells available on Level up and can change them at shrines or taverns like Wizards and Artificers.

As for the Rogue Splash, I highly recommend to get Items that increase your Search and Disable Device Skill. While on Casual, Normal and Hard your Skill Level+Int Modifier might be enough to find and disable the traps, on Elite you will need these items to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Lastly, if you decide on a Wiz, learn and learn early about the power of Divine Vitality - a cleric/FVS spell which restores your spell points. Hirelings can have it, and for that if nothing else, I always bring one along. What I tend to do when soloing is park them at the start of the quest in Passive mode, and command them to come to me (they teleport) when you need SP and are far from a shrine.
    I always buy several different Cleric Hirelings that have DV. When in the need of SP, I teleport back to the entrance (Dimensiondoor) and call/release one by the other to refill my SP. The DV Charges refill, when the Hire was released and called back after 5 minutes, regular Hires can only be called at the entrance. Though it's a big waste of Hirelings, because once called, the timer starts to count down, but it's better to have less platinum than less SP. This works in most dungeons, although there are also a few where the path back gets blocked or simply is pretty annoying in some way, but these are rare. Clearly it also can take a good amount of time to get back to where I placed the door, depending on dungeon design. Another option would be to buy the permanent Level 3 Cleric Hireling in the shop, which would result in about 150 to 200 SP every five minutes and can be called everywhere in the dungeon.