Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Horrible game performance in combat since Update 19

Since I patched to Update 19 I get horrible game performance whenever I'm in combat. It seems to be worse the more creatures there are. My framerate starts to constantly stutter... and it doesn't seem to matter what my graphics settings are. I see the issue even when I have everything set to the lowest possible. I also see the issue in House Cannith and, to a lesser extent, in the Harbor.

I tried updating my video card drivers... didn't seem to fix the issue. I also force-closed all awesomium processes, and this didn't improve anything either.

Any ideas?

Community Member

since update my computer has started locking up in quests. sometimes multiple times in one quest. so i dont think it is your computer. and i have noticed a little lag in public places also. hopefully someone gets it fixed quickly.

Default freezes

i have similar problems since the update

the game freezes, party members rubberband, monsters stay up after taking 3X the damage to kill them, only to keel over 2 min later.
    Last night i was on my tank doing stk with 2 party members, we froze 2-3 times per quest resulting in the 2 wizards dieing each freeze and although i survived i still need to waste pots to drink back to full health, waste time running soulstones to the shrine and taking the 10% exp hit.

I got out of the freeze and kept seeing the combat info over my head for a lil whille.
    Iheard party members complain about these over the years, this is the first time i experience them at this rate and severity.

i'm VERY sure that my computer nor the connection are the bottle neck here

frame rate stayed untouched prior/during/after the freezes

please fix this

Community Member

I don't think those are related much. I don't get any network lag, just very frequent but very short graphics stuttering.

I actually tried out LotRO to see if it happens there, and I found out that it happens if I'm using DirectX 10 or 11. Going back to DirectX 9 results in everything being smooth as usual. I would think this means it's a video card issue, but like I said before updating my drivers didn't help. (Doesn't matter anyway because any NVidia drivers since May cause blue screens for me...)

I've also had some serious fps dips since the update. I first noticed running around the stormhorns, certain areas (particularly where there were lots of harpies and griffons) my frame rate dropped from 40-60 to 10-20. Then last night I ran the black loch, which I've run many many times before U19, and I noticed that when I was facing the water, my fps dropped waaay down from 50-70 to under 10. So something is definitely fishy with the graphics since the update.

when i hot manyshot the lag monster goes full buff im sure it's from the 4 or 5 buffs i get on hit and the fact i have improved shot going and i target the mob in the back..

Community Member

I get this as well, before U19 everything was fine.. After U19 in some places its unplayable with the massive frame rate drops, its getting to the point where I am a wasted spot in a party as I can't get stuck in because as soon as combat starts my frame rate drops so much, combat is almost over by the time I can do anything.
    I have updated all my drivers, tried using both DX9 and 10 setting... dropped everything to its bare bones minimum and nothing changes, exactly the same no matter what.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    When I hit Manyshot the lag monster goes full buff I'm sure it's from the 4 or 5 buffs I get on hit and the fact I have Improved Precise Shot going and I target the mob in the back..
    I had the same issue. My Graphics Card isn't great, I average about 30 FPS, but when I had Soul Magic from the AA Tree, and hit Manyshot, my FPS plummeted to about 4 FPS.

I have since respecced and removed Soul Magic and my FPS stays fine through Manyshot.

Much like the OP however, I have also noticed periodic mini-freezes since the update.

Oh and apologies for the spelling correction. It was annoying me.
    Last edited by Archangel_666; 09-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Probably the problem is hard disk fragmentation. DDO big files are receiving extra data from downloading and one file can be placed in multiple parts of hard disk, causing annoying delays and performance decrease. I would try defraggler, it is defragmenting tool that can defrag single files, (such as big .dat files). I also experience the issue but i am too lazy to try defragging myself yet, not sure how much time it would take. I recently wrote ticket about the issue to see what tech support recommends to do. No reply yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by osuracnaes View Post
    Since I patched to Update 19 I get horrible game performance whenever I'm in combat. It seems to be worse the more creatures there are. My framerate starts to constantly stutter... and it doesn't seem to matter what my graphics settings are. I see the issue even when I have everything set to the lowest possible. I also see the issue in House Cannith and, to a lesser extent, in the Harbor.

I tried updating my video card drivers... didn't seem to fix the issue. I also force-closed all awesomium processes, and this didn't improve anything either.

Any ideas?
    i have exactly that same problem. Every time turbine launch new update or patch is worse to play DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Doh View Post
    since update my computer has started locking up in quests. sometimes multiple times in one quest. so i dont think it is your computer. and i have noticed a little lag in public places also. hopefully someone gets it fixed quickly.
    See this thread for a potentially easy fix:

In game: Options => Audio, change Sound Playback from Generic Hardware Audio to Generic Software Audio.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dydzio0614 View Post
    Probably the problem is hard disk fragmentation. DDO big files are receiving extra data from downloading and one file can be placed in multiple parts of hard disk, causing annoying delays and performance decrease. I would try defraggler, it is defragmenting tool that can defrag single files, (such as big .dat files). I also experience the issue but i am too lazy to try defragging myself yet, not sure how much time it would take. I recently wrote ticket about the issue to see what tech support recommends to do. No reply yet.
    That would only take care of the external file fragmentation aka the issue of the file at the OS system level.

Chances are it is fragmented internally as well, which the only recourse we currently have is to re install.

Once patch 1 comes out I plan on doing a fresh install. I'm due to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Chances are it is fragmented internally as well, which the only recourse we currently have is to re install.

Once patch 1 comes out I plan on doing a fresh install. I'm due to do so.
    Fresh installs don't do anything to defragment the file.

A fresh install starts with the same version of the data file as your current install started with. After fresh install, the first time you run the game it does all the updates that your current install has done, in the same order, one after the other.

In other words, a fresh install will get you pretty much the same data file disorder as you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Fresh installs don't do anything to defragment the file.

A fresh install starts with the same version of the data file as your current install started with. After fresh install, the first time you run the game it does all the updates that your current install has done, in the same order, one after the other.

In other words, a fresh install will get you pretty much the same data file disorder as you have now.
    Incorrect. Fresh installs can have less fragmentation. It depends upon your own install date.

My install is pre MOTU.

The current installer should be U19.

This means instead of having fragmentation caused by 16, 17, 18, and 19, I'll have only the fragmentation caused by 19.1+

I will have much less disorder than what I currently have.

I have seen this problem in a few places...

-When loading into the Marketplace. My computer freezes up for a few seconds.
    -When loading into The Twelve Enclave. Same as above.
    -On the end-fight of "Friends in Low Places", accompanied by instant red-alert.
    -When in "Enter The Kobold" upon the appearance of the optional "Clear the kobold nest".

Community Member

I don't think it's fragmentation. If I use DirectX 9 the game runs as smoothly as it did prior to the update. I also get hitching in LotRO - which I just recently installed - if I use DirectX 10 or 11. LotRO runs smoothly as well if I use DirectX 9.

Incorrect. Fresh installs can have less fragmentation. It depends upon your own install date.

My install is pre MOTU.

This means instead of having fragmentation caused by 16, 17, 18, and 19, I'll have only the fragmentation caused by 19.1+

Ah, good to know. Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Ah, good to know. Thanks much.
    This is why players have the rule of thumb, "about a year old install? May want to try re installing." to help with lag. And I think even Turbine reps themselves will suggest it.

And if you are... secure in your windows knowledge, it may be worth while to clean out your registry of DDO settings to attempt to get fresh again.

Community Member

My install is pre MOTU.

I have reinstalled the client a few times due to upgrading desktops and as far as I can tell they have not updated the installer since the Attack on Stormreach release. My last install was around u17 and there were 90,000+ updates that had to be run. I would love for this to be incorrect but unfortunately I don't think that is the case.

The Shutdown of Pando may force them to do something with the client but it may just change how they distribute the same old set they have been I am not sure.
    Last edited by WanderingGrump; 09-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Community Member

Default Bump

Like OP, since u19 I'm having fps drop to <5 during heavy aoe combat.

I've had the issue with software vs hardware playback much prior to u19. But that's never been affecting combat, just prevents me from crashing when i hear the "click" sound.

So fps drops from >150 to <5 whenever i cast aoe damage on a crowd of mobs. Almost as if the server and my client can't keep up with the amount of calculations. Makes it unplayable. I tried different resolution, fullscreen or windowed, dx9 or dx10, always the same fps drop in aoe combat.

Prior to u19 id never experience that, ive always been a shiradi caster spamming as fast as my cooldowns let me.

Intel i7 Nehalem 920 2.67ghz
    6gb DDR3 OCZ triple channel
    1gb GTX 280 dx10
    Asus P6t deluxe v2
    1tb HDD 7500 rpm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast