Default Broken Arcane Archer Imbue Toggles

UPDATE!
    The issue appears to be correlated to whether or not you have selected the Master of Imbuement Core Capstone. Read the thread for further details. A Bug Report template has been posted at the bottom of this post.

The purpose of this thread is to document the various Arcane Archer Imbue Toggles which are not working properly so that others and I can narrow down exactly what is happening which is bugging these abilities so that we can make effective and precise bug reports. So please report your issues with Arcane Archer Imbue Toggles here!

At the present moment, I have noticed the following Arcane Archer Imbue Toggles are bugged: Force Arrows, Fire Arrows, Corrosive Arrows, Frost Arrows, and Shock Arrows. When activating these toggles, they seem to be dismissed approximately 30 seconds after attacking. Now, I am aware that switching between Imbue Toggles is supposed to allow the previous Imbue Toggle to linger for 30 seconds. But that is not the issue. Without switching between Imbue Toggles at all, these Imbue Toggles seem to disappear from the buff bar as well as disappearing functionally (so this is not just a display bug). I suspect this ability is tied to the Arcane Archer enhancement which allows an Imbue Toggle to persist for 30 seconds after changing to a new Imbue Toggle, but I have not tested this issue without this enhancement so I cannot say for certain.

A very simple way to reproduce this issue and immediately notice its effect is to turn on Force Arrows then attack an incorporeal creature, such as a wraith or shadow; this works best while soloing without a hireling, summon, or pet so that you know the attack feedback is your own. As soon as you begin attacking the incorporeal creature, begin counting down to 30. After about 30 seconds you will notice that the "Incorporeal" feedback from attacking is appearing (seems to work well with shadows from Wheloon since they appear to have a higher incorporeal miss chance than other incorporeal creatures in the game) and that the Force Arrows buff is gone. However, the Force Arrows Imbue Toggle will still appear "On" on your hot bar (i. e. surrounded by the swirling blue line).

The following Imbue Toggles do not seem to have this issue: Smiting Arrows, Banishing Arrows, Paralyzing Arrows, Terror Arrows. Perhaps these Imbue Toggles are coded differently or perhaps I simply haven't noticed it with them. Also, this behavior does not seem to occur with Secondary Toggles: Metalline Arrows, Morphic Arrows, Shadow Arrows, and Morphic Arrows.

Please help me fill in the gaps if you have noticed strange behavior with the Imbue Toggles and under what conditions you have noticed this behavior. I have already bug-reported what I have noticed, but I feel my bug report was incomplete because I cannot tell exactly what it is that causes the Imbue Toggle buffs to be dismissed. So far, the only correlation I have found is attacking an enemy, but it is not always exactly 30 seconds so there might be something else causing the behavior.

BUG REPORT TEMPLATE
    Use the following bug report template when making a bug report. Click here to file a bug report. Add or change details as it suits you and your experience. The following is the bare minimum information necessary. There is not need to enter reincarnation data, etc.

Username (Account): [enter your username]

Character Name: [enter the first name of the character on which you have noticed the bug]

Race: [enter above character's race]

Type of Issue: Character

Character Issue Type: Enhancements

Summary: Master of Imbuement Applies 30 Second Timer to Primary Toggles Even When They Are ON

Details: Master of Imbuement, the Arcane Archer Core Capstone, breaks primary toggles (Force Arrows, Elemental Arrows, Terror Arrows, Paralyzing Arrows, Smiting Arrows, and Banishing Arrows) by applying a 30 second timer even when the primary toggle is active. As per the description of Master of Imbuement, "When you leave a primary Arcane Archer Imbue stance, the bonus granted by the stance lingers for 30 seconds before being removed."

However, what actually occurs is that even if the stance is active, the 30 second timer starts anyway. Notably, this only seems to apply in private instances, such as quests and wilderness areas.

To reproduce this bug, do the following:
    1) Create a 20th level ranger or 25th level elf or half-elf with access to the Arcane Archer enhancement tree.
    2) Select any primary toggle (Force Arrows, Elemental Arrows, Terror Arrows, Paralyzing Arrows, Smiting Arrows, and Banishing Arrows) from the Arcane Archer tree and spend enough points to access the Master of Imbuement core capstone also.
    3) Toggle on any primary toggle.
    4) Enter a private instance (quest or wilderness area).
    5) Note that 30 seconds after entering the instance the primary toggle will disappear from the buff bar and the effect will no longer apply to attacks, even though the toggle appears ON on the hot bar.
    6) Reproduce a similar character but WITHOUT the Master of Imbuement enhancement.
    7) Set any primary toggle to ON.
    8) Enter a private instance.
    9) Note that the primary toggle will remain on the buff bar and remain active for as long as the toggle is ON.

Quirks: Sometimes this issue may require being logged in for a certain amount of time before it presents itself. This time may or may not vary but has been reported to be in the area of 30 minutes on occasion. It may also be tied to the number of times you switch instances or whether or not you have switched characters recently on the same login period. Some primary toggles seem less prone to being affected. Smiting arrows and Banishing arrows are less commonly affected by this bug and may not be subject to it at all under certain conditions which have yet to be determined.

Not sure if this is exactly related, but I have an Arcane Archer who uses a Repeating Crossbow (yes, yes I know - but I have fun with it :P) however NONE of the imbues seem to work at all; not just the elemental ones.

Is this because it requires 'arrows' specifically to work - and not bolts - or is this part of a larger problem with the imbue ablility all together (for both bows AND crossbows)?
    Eliminate 'ninja' looting from DDO:http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=243939
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP:http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=403747
    Player made quests can work in DDO:http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=352498

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly related, but I have an Arcane Archer who uses a Repeating Crossbow (yes, yes I know - but I have fun with it :P) however NONE of the imbues seem to work at all; not just the elemental ones.

Is this because it requires 'arrows' specifically to work - and not bolts - or is this part of a larger problem with the imbue ablility all together (for both bows AND crossbows)?
    It happens to para imbue arrows also. I've noticed a few times when trying to reproduce it, it usually happens after having same toggle "on" for 30+ minutes or more like it's a timed toggle, but says permanent. I've noticed it actually goes "off" alot when my killer enhancement procs. Mostly when it starts to stack or countdown.
    It's getting annoying with having to switch bows to get the toggle back, but not having to spend another 20 sp i guess is worth the annoyance right now to switching bows.

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

The new slayer arrow clickie is junk. The old, toggled version worked perfectly fine, and was a great end game bonus to damage. The new system allows me to turn on manyshot, get three slayer arrows off in a row, then wait another two minutes to try again. Also, it really sucks when you miss with a slayer arrow, and have to wait 20 sec for it to cool down. With all the new clickies and imbues, I feel like I'm staring at my hotbars 90% of the time and not seeing what's happening. I ventured out into the Stormhorns for the first time and kept getting lost because I was spending all my time staring at my overloaded hotbars and not paying attention to where people were going. It's ridiculous that you have to have an advanced degree in DDO to play an Archer now.

Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    The new slayer arrow clickie is junk. The old, toggled version worked perfectly fine, and was a great end game bonus to damage. The new system allows me to turn on manyshot, get three slayer arrows off in a row, then wait another two minutes to try again. Also, it really sucks when you miss with a slayer arrow, and have to wait 20 sec for it to cool down. With all the new clickies and imbues, I feel like I'm staring at my hotbars 90% of the time and not seeing what's happening. I ventured out into the Stormhorns for the first time and kept getting lost because I was spending all my time staring at my overloaded hotbars and not paying attention to where people were going. It's ridiculous that you have to have an advanced degree in DDO to play an Archer now.
    I don't like to usually tell people they doing there "way" wrong, so let me tell you what I do. I don't switch alot between types. I keep them all on 1 hotbar I hide below my main one, so it's always an arrow away. Para seems the most useful, with force being a close 2nd for the ghostly things. If para doesn't work then I switch, for instance a red named boss. Otherwise it's just not sp wise for me to keep switching constantly.

TL;DR: Master of Imbuement Core Capstone appears to break primary toggles. Skip it if you rely on these. Focus on special attacks and ignore primary toggles if you take it until it gets fixed.

The main issue I am having is with the primary toggles just switching themselves off automatically. I suspect this has something to do with the coding on the Master of Imbuement Core Capstone. To be more precise, Master of Imbuement is supposed to allow a secondary toggle to linger for 30 seconds if you leave your primary toggle and switch to another one. However, if you take the capstone, then you have another problem on your hand. This effect apparently applies to ALL primary toggles ALL the time, regardless of whether they are on or off. I have tested this without taking Master of Imbuement and found that my primary toggles will remain on. However, when I take Master of Imbuement, the problem re-surfaces.

My current recommendation for AAs at the moment is to skip the Master of Imbuement Core Capstone, as juicy as it is with its +2 Dex and +10% Doubleshot, until this bug gets fixed. Unless you plan to not use primary toggles at all (which is kind of crazy), the capstone is simply going to make playing an AA a headache. That said, even without the Master of Imbuement, the AA is quite powerful.

It is certainly possible to play an AA and focus on the special attacks, True Strike, Inferno Shot, Dispelling Shot, Shattermantle Shot, and Arrow of Slaying. If you have Soul Magic and Moonbow you will find you almost always have enough SP to keep these attacks going whenever they are not on cooldown. So if you really like the Master of Imbuement Core Capstone, this is a possibility. However, I like the flexibility of being able to use the primary toggles. Paralyzing arrows are very useful. Smiting arrows and banishing arrows are useful in certain situations. And Force arrows are great for ghosts.

In an attempt to try to collate the data altogether in one spot, I found this nugget:

Quote Originally Posted by ~angelamm View Post
    After almost four hours of testing I think I've discovered the particular enhancement in the Arcane Archer tree that is causing the Elemental Imbue toggles to have issues. Master of Imbuement That's right the capstone enhancement of the tree.

I tested each toggle individually for five minutes each, then in pairs - one primary imbue toggle with one secondary imbue toggle, I tested them while changing equipment, I tested them with my epic destiny (Shiradi) active, and I took my heroic enhancements one at a time as they became available with everything but the Arcane Archer +enhancement to equipped weapon working as I went along. Until... yep, until I took the capstone Master of Imbuement, and yes while it allowed a previous toggle to stick with you for 30 seconds or so it would remove whatever Element you have toggled currently in about the same time. Curiously this only seemed to happen when I went from from one Elemental Imbue to another not if I went from say Paralyzing Arrows to Shock, but if I went from Fire Arrows to Acid Arrows then both would eventually be removed. However, and this is kind of cool... once I started playing around with the other primary imbues after acquiring Master of Imbuement, that is Paralyzing arrows, Terror arrows, Force arrows, etc it seemed to fix whatever issue the capstone is causing with the Elements which might be why some people haven't experienced this bug at all.

Now I haven't tested whether or not logging off and back on keeps the fix in place but really using anything other than an Elemental imbue first thing should be an easy work around if the bug is recurring.

Community Member

Hey there, I have noticed the same bug, especially with paralyzing arrows. I know its an annoying solution, but switching bows gets the buff back for some reason, hope that saves everyone some spell points until they get this fixed.

Community Member

Default AA Capstone Still Breaks Arrow Imbues

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotetrickster View Post
    Hey there, I have noticed the same bug, especially with paralyzing arrows. I know its an annoying solution, but switching bows gets the buff back for some reason, hope that saves everyone some spell points until they get this fixed.
    I too am seeing this bug, particularly with paralyzing arrows, and was hoping it would be fixed in today's update, but there's no mention of it in the release notes. And, switching bows does not fix it on any reliable basis for me, nor for very long when it does fix it. I've had it disappear immediately after applying it, or last for 30 seconds, or work for up to 10 minutes, only to have it go away again. Very, very annoying when you're in the middle of a big fight & it goes "poof". I ended up resetting the AA tree to remove the capstone, as it made the imbue enhancements completely worthless.

And, it appears the bow enhancements are still broken, based on the release notes & known issues that were just posted.
    Last edited by Aletys; 10-02-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Community Member

I don't want to take this great thread off-track, but I'm having a semi-related issue, and I'm curious if you encountered this during your trials. In my case, I only have about 10 AP spent in Arcane Archer. I have a Imbue Shock Arrows as my primary, and Imbue Morphic Arrows as secondary. However, nothing I try ever gets Morphic Arrows to activate.

Thanks for any advice. Also, I'm curious to see if you all are still having problems after Update19-patch3.

@OP: thank you very much for this thread. Will re-report using the template. I believe it also doesn't apply the intended +2 DEX, not sure about Doubleshot, as there's no reliable way to check.

I really hope this issue gets fixed soon, as it is very VERY annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DogzOfWar View Post
    nothing I try ever gets Morphic Arrows to activate.
    Secondary imbues don't show on the buff bar, but are functioning normally for me.
    Last edited by Ausdoerrt; 10-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

I don't know if it counts as Necroing a thread...
    But I found that this issue usually happens when I change weapons, from bow to TWF or when changing bows WHEN I HAVE A PRIMARY TOGGLE ACTIVE.
    Looks like the game thinks I deactivated the toggle effect and starts the 30 seconds timer.
    If I deactivate the primary imbue, wait 30 seconds, change weapons, and activate the imbue again, it works as intended...wich is annoying
    I hope this helps someone.