Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Unhappy Lords of Dust - Epic Hard

Okay, I took a few months off and returned for Update 19. Decided to try and work on the Saga's and went into Lords of dust on Epic Hard. This raises the level of the dungeon to 22. All the cultists are level 19. The guard dogs... 36. Bastion... 39. I seem to recall those as their Epic Elite levels. Am I wrong? I can kill them, but it's a matter of setting Bastion to Auto Attack and walking away to read a book for a bit. (Heavily defensive paladin, hard to kill but hard for me to kill) This just doesn't seem right. Is this new in update 19 or was it going on before?

Just got to Marideth. She's level 39 as well... Had to back her into a corner so I could beat on her while updating this post. She runs away a lot.

Okay, death knights are level 32, which feels right. They were always the biggest threat in the instance. But the level 36 chihuahua's are now a far bigger threat.
    Last edited by vaugnard; 08-25-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Community Member

hmm. I would say that its the right levels, I think EE's were always higher then that, tho I could be wrong been awhile since I ran that epic

that being said, Lords of dust is part of a saga? XD Where do you get that one? cause the only two I know of are in eveningstar for the MOTU chain (which I dont believe the lords chain is required), and the druids/stormhorn chain

Community Member

Default Menace of the Underdark Saga

Per the Wiki
    Bestowed by Lady Azana Winter in Eveningstar.
    Requires all quests from the Darkening, the City of Portals, the Queen of the Demonweb story arcs, as well as two additional side quests, Don't Drink the Water and In the Belly of the Beast.

When the Forgotten Realms expansion first came out, I farmed all the Menace of the Underdark quest line to TR my gimped rogueling. All on epic hard, all solo. That includes the Demon Queen herself. I'm going to have to drop out of Lords of Dust because I don't have enough mana/lay hands to get through the final battle at this rate.

I've done all the Harper quests on epic hard and all the druid quests on epic hard, none of them had bosses that were 39th level, at least not sub bosses and rares, and they're all higher level quests.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

There have been other discussions of this, no dev has chimed in on any of em that I have seen.

Just after the update I ran Lords of Dust EN at level 25 with main ED, the skellies and dogs were all CR 36, seemed a lot higher than in the past and seemed odd for a CR21 quest. I made it through to the end..I think the final boss was CR43/

So yesterday I tried it on EH, same skellies and dogs at 36, the marilith took a week to kill, and the final boss was either CR 43 or 49, I think it was 49. I don't know what he was doing, but I gave up and just quit the quest without finishing.

I -suspect- that the skellies and doggies are always at EE levels no matter what the actual CR, and I really think the bosses have been beefed up.

Either something is very wrong or these quests were seriously Ninja-buffed. It -felt- like what I would expect from EE.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    There have been other discussions of this, no dev has chimed in on any of em that I have seen.

Just after the update I ran Lords of Dust EN at level 25 with main ED, the skellies and dogs were all CR 36, seemed a lot higher than in the past and seemed odd for a CR21 quest. I made it through to the end..I think the final boss was CR43/

So yesterday I tried it on EH, same skellies and dogs at 36, the marilith took a week to kill, and the final boss was either CR 43 or 49, I think it was 49. I don't know what he was doing, but I gave up and just quit the quest without finishing.

I -suspect- that the skellies and doggies are always at EE levels no matter what the actual CR, and I really think the bosses have been beefed up.

Either something is very wrong or these quests were seriously Ninja-buffed. It -felt- like what I would expect from EE.
    Thanks, now I don't feel so insane. I'll cleanse the last alter--I'm fighting the boss while posting with him backed into a corner--and then I'm dropping the instance.

I just soloed this on my clonk today on EH, after a few runs on HE.

Woo buddy.

The offending mobs seemed to be Marideth, Bastion, and Karas, for me at least. The cultists actually had less HP on EH than on HE. Dogs were notably beefier. I spent about 5 minutes kiting Bastion through my BB (which crits often for 800-900) because he was chain tripping me when I was in melee so fast I almost bit it. I was able to keep Marideth constantly stunned, but she had over 30k HP and took a good while to grind down. Traps seemd like they had appropriate saves for level, and I didn't have any issues landing any spells. The two rakshasa went down easy enough, as did Gnomon after a few neg levels. However, the whole end fight (cultists, Gnomon, and Karas) took me 15 minutes. Pretty much all but one minute of that was me hiding in a corner and DoTing Karas because his HP was titanic even for a CR 43. I went into his fight with almost a full blue bar, and I still used all my clickies and a handful of pots to get through.

Something seems rather amiss.

Also, I got half a token in my end chest, but there was a second chest hidden in the end chest with another half of a token.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

There is definitely something wrong with this chain. It would be fantastic if we could get some dev confirmation that they are at least aware of the issue and working on a fix for it. Dogs are far beyond the CR that trash mobs should have in a quest at this level. The bosses in LoD and SotO are way overscaled. Some trash is appropriate, while others have a CR almost double the dungeon level.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

My experience is that all Dogs and Red-named in both Lords of Dust and Servants of the Overlords are jacked up. I have only done them on normal (solo with hirelings), but it appears from experience and chatter that they are CR'd at one difficulty higher than normal (so normal is hard, hard is elite, and elite is OMG).

The Dogs might have something to do with the dogs in Wheelon being low CR. Or might not. In any case somebody 'screwed the pooch'.

I have had no issues in Spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

My only issue with the chain was spinner. I went in at 4am, thinking eHard, hah!
    I found demon-kittens with 8.5k-9k hp, hitting 110-190. Was a bit of a shock, seeming I was 3/4 asleep and just doing one run to help a mate.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    My only issue with the chain was spinner. I went in at 4am, thinking eHard, hah!
    I found demon-kittens with 8.5k-9k hp, hitting 110-190. Was a bit of a shock, seeming I was 3/4 asleep and just doing one run to help a mate.
    Where they red-named?

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Those were the very first quests I did, solo on Epic Normal, after being away since before MotU (and so before Epic Normal existed). It was pretty crazy, but, hey, it's epic, right? Then I did other Epic Normals and they were completely trivial, so I was pretty confused about what Epic Normal was supposed to be. Does seem like those quests are just messed up.

It appears that the issue that was there when MoTU was first released came back in that quest chain once more.. I remember first running my Helves through that chain when it first came out and nearly cried lol.. got it done but it was brutal. Found out it was borked, and then it was fixed. With this latest expansion, it's all reborked lol.. doable, but man.. Kalas is significant in the HP department to say the least.
    Science may be theory, but stupidity is proven.

Community Member

After spending an extra minute finding the quest since the changes to the harbor, i entered on EH for my first run through there since the changes. I agree that the dog and Mary were much harder, i think I had to hit them with enervate at least twice before i could instakill them with finger of death.

Watching with amusements as one persons lfm never fills

Default Assassinate works

My 26 rog can assassinate everyone but Karas on EH. That being said, I had to hop on the candle holder, switch to a repeater and channel surf while holding down the fire button to kill Karas. The quest seems beefier, but more enjoyable now that it is a challenge at times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slymenstraa View Post
    My 26 rog can assassinate everyone but Karas on EH. That being said, I had to hop on the candle holder, switch to a repeater and channel surf while holding down the fire button to kill Karas. The quest seems beefier, but more enjoyable now that it is a challenge at times.
    Do you have ethical issues with selecting the auto-attack icon?
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I think a lot of "epic Hard" was made.... Harder.....

Lets face it. there was very little difference between EN and EH in most quests.... I like the increased difficulty EPic Hard quests quite a bit...

I noticed this in Gianthold as well. Epic hard mobs were hitting for a LOT more damage than I remember.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post

I think it's a mess - I don't know if they 'beefed' them up or messed up the web of chaos critters when they adjusted things. I say mess up - because if you move onto Eveningstar then EH is actually reasonable, but if you enter the wheelon prison and beyond they're again unreasonable. I mean they hit like fricken trucks and seem to have HP galore.

Methinks the CR is out of whack. Spinner EH have lions with tons of HP where the Hezrau is reasonable. The spiders are kind of out of wack as well. I gave up on grinding Dust and such until they fix it. I mean I went all fury on the end drow in the first quest and he got so much HP is beyond a bore. My hireling almost ran out of HP. And in the second quest the fire reaver boss have something like 58k HP and the Hezrau 52k. It's silly.

And you can spot that they messed things up when you look at tracker in Stormhorn. There's cudgel - a giant - that on EN have so much HP it'll take you an awful lot of time to kill. He doesn't hit for much but his HP is nonsense.

So chalk this down as a fub. I can't think they're serious about having some critters with EE amount of HP and others not. It shouldn't take a maxed acid breath and burst followed by a cold lance to down a lion in spinner. That's clearly excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I think a lot of "epic Hard" was made.... Harder.....

Lets face it. there was very little difference between EN and EH in most quests.... I like the increased difficulty EPic Hard quests quite a bit...

I noticed this in Gianthold as well. Epic hard mobs were hitting for a LOT more damage than I remember.
    Exactly also the scaling seems to definitely be up on EH

I do not know why, wasn´t there a big uproar in the forum not too long ago that "epic should be epic" and "epic hard should feel hard"?

Well, now it definitively feels hard.

I think of LoD to be borked because there are mobs on EH that have CR 19. This is borked. They should have this on HH. I have not run LoD on EE since the update but I would not wonder if he is CR 58 now. Well, you all wanted epic elite to be challenging, didn´t you?

Personally, beefing up CRs of mobs and rednames alike to insane levels is the wrong way. Where is the fun of my toon being the superhero and getting killed by a mob of angry lowly dogs because they got beefed to CR 40 on EE? They did not get any more intelligent or use better tactics. All this went to is a big waste of material for both sides. We continually get better weapons and better buffs and more stat boosts only to be countered by beefed up foes. Where is the sense in this? If I like to play WoW, I go there. I do not play DDo for this kind of idiocy.

I think, for Turbine it would be better (in the long run) to stick to standard gear even for high levels. Then have some hard-to-farm gear that is the final 5% better than the standards. Like it was with the old epic gear. Then stick to foes that are not insanely overpowered but can be done in by a determined group on level using only moderately overgeared equipement. Make this a little harder on hard, a lot harder on elite and a little lower on casual and here we go. If a quest states lv. 24 on EE, it should be doable for the determined group on lv. 24. It should be impossible to solo (no dungeon downscaling, the quest is geared to 6 warm bodies doing the job!).

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    but there was a second chest hidden in the end chest with another half of a token.
    I have seen this in ADQ too, on EH there are 4 chests when there should be 2 (only one is Epic though).
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast