Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation crossbows with ranged abilities need a fix

this problem has been around for a while but now with that there are new powerful abilities its come time for a fix.
    when firing a crossbow there are 2 separate 'attacks' the load and the fire, if you try to use any ranged ability it can be wasted on the load instead of the fire, effectively doing nothing.

if i remember correctly there was some syncing issue with firing bolts and the crossbow animation that made them have to change it to 2 'attacks' instead of 1 but honestly i would prefer my abilities to work than have it look nice.
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyYouKnow View Post
    this problem has been around for a while but now with that there are new powerful abilities its come time for a fix.
    when firing a crossbow there are 2 separate 'attacks' the load and the fire, if you try to use any ranged ability it can be wasted on the load instead of the fire, effectively doing nothing.

if i remember correctly there was some syncing issue with firing bolts and the crossbow animation that made them have to change it to 2 'attacks' instead of 1 but honestly i would prefer my abilities to work than have it look nice.
    Its super annoying...I suggest you turn off autoattack toggle and just take it off your hotbar completely. Just hold down the button to attack, then you can release, make sure you're loaded to fire your special attack, then hold it down again to reload and start firing.

Not an ideal solution, of course, and it decreases your overall ROF, but it does prevent wasting cooldowns on misfires.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Its super annoying...I suggest you turn off autoattack toggle and just take it off your hotbar completely. Just hold down the button to attack, then you can release, make sure you're loaded to fire your special attack, then hold it down again to reload and start firing.

Not an ideal solution, of course, and it decreases your overall ROF, but it does prevent wasting cooldowns on misfires.
    on the topic of rate of fire manually clicking the button to attack then reload over and over gives you the best rate of fire anyways and will give you the control to know when to activate the special attack.

unfortunately I can't pull up the thread on the topic with the search function not working.

(click sequence) attack/reload/attack/reload/attack/reload/special/attack/reload
    If you manually fire like this you'll get much more in tune with your fire/reloads and not even have to think about when to use the special ability you just know.

still I agree the ability should not go off on a reload

This annoying bugged behavior makes pointless to take any active abilities.
    Really needs to be fixed!

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I agree with the OP. Wasting a pinning shot because your weapon wasn't loaded is a PITA.

I have to constantly fire off test shots to make sure I'm loaded.

Community Member

Default machine gunning

The reason they made reload/fire a two part process was that there used to be a few ways to interrupt the reload and barely pause at all. There kinda still is a way but its nowhere near as broken as it uses to be.

However, when they made it a two part process there were no special attacks to worry about. With these new special attacks it either needs to be a single process(who wouldnt reload an m16 in a shootout if they had a clip ready?), or there needs to be a flag set for next shot after reload to activate the special attack.

Community Member

I think an easy fix to this problem could be if you change those 1 shot abilitys into sort of very short boosts.

For example:

Instead of- Your next shot will have +1 crit muliplier and +10 damage (not a real ability i know)

It could be like- For the next 1-2 seconds ranged attacks have +1 crit muliplier and +10 damage

This way they dont need to change the xbow attack animation.

Problem would be of course that faster firing attacks like bow or throwing weapon would get more shots in this 1-2 seconds.
    Orien: Drache-V36, Merkades-V6 , Askasia-Cleric

Really, I'm not sure why they don't have it so that any time your character is able to, you'll automatically reload the crossbow if needed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post
    Problem would be of course that faster firing attacks like bow or throwing weapon would get more shots in this 1-2 seconds.
    Or just imagine Endless Fusillade + Adrenaline + Sniper Shot....2 seconds of every shot being a 400% damage quadruple crit

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

My solution is to remove ALL reload animations for throwing and ranged.
    The mobs do not "reload" hence why they always shoot faster than we can.

The only work around that doesn't waste bolts to make sure you are reloaded is to
    1) swap weapons.
    2) be able to look at your weapon. I don't think the bolt shows if you need to reload. But this was back when your weapons didn't vanish all the freaking time.

They should make so that all 1 clicks work like adrenaline hits - they remain active for x amount of seconds until the person actually attacks. That way pinning (a good example) is not wasted on a reload and only used once a hit or miss is scored.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    They should make so that all 1 clicks work like adrenaline hits - they remain active for x amount of seconds until the person actually attacks. That way pinning (a good example) is not wasted on a reload and only used once a hit or miss is scored.
    Problem there, then, is that you could combine all your attacks into one massively awesome shot...Adrenaline + Sniper Shot + Slaying Arrow + Merciful Shot + etc. etc. All the shots, then, would benefit from all the multipliers of every other shot....it'd multiply your damage from each shot rather than adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Problem there, then, is that you could combine all your attacks into one massively awesome shot...Adrenaline + Sniper Shot + Slaying Arrow + Merciful Shot + etc. etc. All the shots, then, would benefit from all the multipliers of every other shot....it'd multiply your damage from each shot rather than adding it.
    So make them mutually exclusive. Problem solved.

We seriously could do with a shift to more stances, and fewer generic clickies.

bumping for a fix
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

Community Member

Default yup

really annoying

This is an incredibly annoying issue, especially with lag and the missing shots bug. Even if I'm manually clicking to fire/reload, it is really easy to lose track or click too early and miss a reload, especially in a hectic battle. Half the time I end up just ignoring my special attacks just because it's a pain to use them reliably.

Default Wow!

So this is why Pin and Otto's Whistler were totally useless to me. Well, thanks bug! You made me switch from Shiradi to Fury and I've never looked back. I finally understand why some players were saying that Shadowdancer was good for arties, if only it worked - I always thought it was a huge waste of time. Now I know it's just DDOs bugs ruining Epic Destinies for me, and every xbow character.

Nice. Fury of the Wild for the win!

necro bump for fix

necro bump for fix
    Really is time it gets fixed.

I had compiled a list of enhancements and ED abilities that were hampered by this. But that was posted on another thread about this topic as well as PMed to the Dev's (who are mostly working on LOTRO now)

Ranged power pass should be in the works THIS should be in that pass.

The solution I suggested whith my list was simple:
    ability actives and does not fire due to reload animate? Ability does not go on cooldown!
    The ability should only go on cooldown if it is actually fired.

*When I have a chance I will dig for the list or just compile a new one. There are many enhancements and abilities spread across the classes & destinies.

Default as promised here is my compiled list of effects and proposal for a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Shot type attacks being lost into the reload cycle of Crossbows. (light/heavy/great/light repeater/heavy repeater)

Enhancements:
    Artificer Battle Engineer
    Wracking Shot: Ranged Attack: On Damage: Deals 1d6/3d6/5d6 extra damage to constructs and living constructs, and applies Wracked: This construct or living construct fortification is reduced by 10% and loses its inherent immunity to sneak attack. This effect stacks up to five times.

Elven/Ranger
    Arcane Archer
    True strike: Ranged Archery Attack: Perform a ranged attack with +20 to-hit. Rank 2/3: You receive a +2/+4 Insight bonus to hit for 6/12 seconds. Activation cost: 2 spell points. Cool down: 3 seconds.
    Dispelling Shot: Ranged Archery Attack: Performs a ranged attack that deals +1/+2/+3[W] damage and dispels 1/2/3 beneficial effects from your target. (Activation Cost: 5 SP. Cool down: 3 seconds)
    Inferno Shot: Ranged Archery Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +0/+1/+2[W] damage. On Hit: Target gain 1 stack of Inferno (target takes 1d6 fire damage every 2 second for 6 seconds. This effect can stack 20 times, and loses one stack on expiration.) (Activation cost: 6 SP. Cool down 3 seconds)
    Shattermantle Shot: Ranged Archery Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +1/+2/+3[W] damage. On hit: Target gains 1/2/3 stack of Reduced Spell Resistance (-1 Spell Resistance. This effect can stack 100 times) on Vorpal Hit: Shattermantle (-100 spell Resistance for 10 seconds. Will DC 10/14/18 + Half Ranger Level + Wisdom Modifier negates.) (Activation Cost: 4 SP. Cool down: 3 seconds)
    Arrow of Slaying: Ranged Archery Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +250 damage. (This damage can be multiplied by critical hits.) (Cost: 20 spell points. Cool down: 20 seconds.)

Fighter Kensei
    Shattering Shot: Focus Ranged Attack: Deals +1/+2/+3[W] damage. On Damage: Target loses 15% fortification for 10 seconds (Fort DC 10 + Half Fighter Level + Wisdom Modifier Negates).
    A Good Death (Ranged): Focus Ranged Attack: Perform a ranged attack with +1 Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: If the target is below 20% health, deal 500 damage.
    Deadly Shot: Focus Ranged Attack: Expend a use of Action Boost: Attack to perform a ranged attack that is automatically considered a critical threat. On Vorpal: 500 damage.

Ranger Deepwood Stalker
    Sniper Shot: Ranged Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +2[W], a +4 bonus to-hit, +2 to critical threat range, and +2 to Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: The target will become momentarily confused and rendered vulnerable to sneak attacks for four seconds as if affected by the bluff skill. (Cool down 6 seconds)
    Ranged Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +10 to hit and +1 Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: If you are in the Archer's Focus stance and Manyshot is not active, gain three stacks of Archer's Focus. (Cooldown: 10 seconds)
    Merciful Shot: Ranged attack: Deals +3[W] damage. On Sneak attack: If the target is below 20% health, deal 500 damage.
    Leg Shot: Ranged Attack: On Damage: Slow your enemy's movement by 50% for 10 seconds. (Cool down: 10 seconds)
    Head Shot: Ranged Attack: Perform a ranged attack that is automatically considered a critical threat. On vorpal: 500 damage. (Cool down: 60 seconds)

Rogue Mechanic
    Wracking Shot: Ranged Attack: On Damage: Deals 1d6/3d6/5d6 extra damage to constructs and living constructs, and applies Wracked: This construct or living construct fortification is reduced by 10% and loses its inherent immunity to sneak attack. This effect stacks up to five times.
    Leg Shot: Ranged Attack: On Damage: Slow your enemy's movement by 50% for 10 seconds (Cool down: 10 seconds)

Epic Destinies: --------------------------------------------------------
    Shadowdancer
    Shrouding Strike/Shot: Active Ability: (Cooldown: 15 seconds) Melee or Ranged Attack: Perform an attack with +[1/2/3][W] damage. On hit: Mark target. It if dies within the next [6/8/10] seconds, gain a Shadow Charge. You can retain a maximum of [2/4/6] Shadow Charges.
    Executioner's Strike/Shot: Active Ability: (Cooldown: 30 seconds) Melee or ranged attack. Perform an attack with +[1/2/3][W] damage, +1 critical threat range and +1 critical damage multiplier. On hit: You have a 35% chance to kill a living target instantly if the target fails a Fortitude save (DC 7 + Character level + DEX modifier + Number of Shadow Charges). Even on successful save target takes an additional [50/75/100] damage from this attack.

Shiradi Champion
    Pin: Ranged or Thrown Attack: (Cooldown [20/15] seconds) enemy takes [+2/+3][w] damage. If enemy is not moving, enemy is pinned in place for [9/18] seconds. Enemy is slowed if moving. (No saving throw observed for either effect)
    Otto's Whistler: Ranged or Thrown Attack: (Cooldown [20/15] seconds) Deal [+2/+3][w] damage. If enemy is moving, enemy starts dancing for [9/18] seconds. (No saving throw observed)
    ----------------------------------------------------

To expand on this Crossbows have 2 sequences of attack Load/Reload and Fire.
    During a sequence of attacks any of these Shot type attacks must be used when the Crossbow is loaded or the attack will go on cool down and nothing will happen.
    Vs.
    An Archer using a Bow however only has no reload sequence and can fire the shot attack at anytime.
    A Melee using any of the respective Melee versions of some of these attacks also only needs to activate the attack at anytime in attack chain.

For these attacks to be effectively used in combat with any type of Crossbow/Repeater the player must pay very close attention to the cycle of reloading and make sure to activate the attack when a bolt is loaded or lose the attack and put it on cool down.

At times this is not such an big deal.
    example: in a group where some melees have the agro and the Crossbow user can stand stationary relax and fire at will, they can take the time to be sure the crossbow is loaded (sometimes for me this means firing a test shot prior to the attack to make sure the Crossbow is loaded this is an utterly immersion breaking annoyance)

Other times its extremely difficult to use these attacks when in the heat of combat. (when these attacks would be most helpful to save your skin)
    Example:soloing EE Line of Supplies, ranging a dangerous caster in the middle of a battlefield full of melee mobs. Jumping and strafing to avoid being stunned with a melee attack while laying down fire on the caster using Pin or a Deadly shot would be handy .

This is a long standing bug that was reported on Lamania during the testing of the Epic Destinies (Prior to the enhancement pass adding so many shot type attacks to the enhancement trees)
    This bug is extremely immersion breaking and is considerably frustrating either ignoring these abilities at times due to the need to pay overly too much attention to weather the crossbow is loaded or not and also the frustration of mistiming the attack and losing it all together.

Proposed Fix:
    If the attack is activated when the crossbow is not loaded and no attack takes place then the attack simple should not go on cool down since it was not used.
    The attack should only go on cool down if a shot was fired.
    ... Going to post this up here and give it a go in the coming ranged discussions. hopefully this can get looked at with Ranged pass.

*8This may not be an all inclusive list as there have been changes since I compiled it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast