Default Building a new Gaming Rig - A Little Advice please

Have most of the build priced up and worked out - trying to figure out my best option for graphics cards.

I can either afford a couple of 2GB GeForce GTX650I Boost cards and use them in SLI config, or a single 4GB Geforce GTX 760...

This is not just for DDO but more general gaming as well.

Opinions/Arguments or other options welcomed... Just don't try and talk me into a AMD card. Hate the damn things
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Community Member

My personal opinion, go with the single 4 gig card. SLI, while good option does run its own problems and risks. I have done both SLI and single card configurations on my gaming pc's and invariably i end up coming back to my single card configurations.

Community Member

My uncle says that once you know what you want a computer for, buy the best one you can afford, and include some upgrade paths.

In that spirit, I would agree with the single card option. The 4GB Geforce GTX 760 rocks well enough on its own, and specs indicate that it can be used in SLI, as well.

The bad news is, with that card's resolution, you will need to upgrade your monitor to an 80".
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

If you want a top end graphics card that's fine but it usually takes a year or so for games to filter through (plus DirectX updates and improved drivers). Particularly as I seem to burn cards out after 8 months to a year due to heavy use I tend to go for a midrange card that has been on the market a while.

I also never consider upgradability. 20 years of building my own PC (starting with my first 486 DX2/66) my experience is the industry moves too fast to make upgrading viable. New standards, IDE->VESA->PCI, 16 Bit->32 Bit->64 Bit etc. different types of RAM, media etc. etc. etc. mean I end up replacing rather than upgrading my machine. It's usually just motherboard/chip/ram/case but recently I upgraded my eight year old machine and couldn't cannibalise anything due to the change to SATA from IDE.

Never been able to afford an SLI setup. Would using two midrange cards give you the same/better performance than a single beast card? The cost would probably be about the same I expect.

Good luck anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    Have most of the build priced up and worked out - trying to figure out my best option for graphics cards.

I can either afford a couple of 2GB GeForce GTX650I Boost cards and use them in SLI config, or a single 4GB Geforce GTX 760...

This is not just for DDO but more general gaming as well.

Opinions/Arguments or other options welcomed... Just don't try and talk me into a AMD card. Hate the damn things

I would still stay away from SLI for now since a lot of games are still having micro-stuttering of frames...The 760 is more than capable for any game on the market and I would guess over the next couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.