Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default ENHANCEMENT Tree fail

I purchased Shadowfail for all the bells and whistles. I could create a bladeforged 2nd Paladin/13th Sorceror so I did.

I focused on Fire and Acid.

I finally login on one of my test bladeforged on a server where the character has done nothing.

With the new enhancement tree, I am only offered paladin and AIR SAVANT. I don't want Air Savant. I want fire and acid.

So, I create a new bladeforged paladin/sorceror.

I select 2 levels of paladin in the forge and leave and then I go select my first level of sorceror.

I then pop ENHANCEMENT tree and I can select paladin and ALL Sorceror trees.

Not consistent.

I suppose this is where I need to burn the LR +20 stone, I just don't understand why when I create a NEW bladeforged paladin/sorceror I can select acid/fire savant but on my already existing paladin/sorceror I am only given AIR SAVANT.

fail.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I purchased Shadowfail for all the bells and whistles. I could create a bladeforged 2nd Paladin/13th Sorceror so I did.

I focused on Fire and Acid.

I finally login on one of my test bladeforged on a server where the character has done nothing.

With the new enhancement tree, I am only offered paladin and AIR SAVANT. I don't want Air Savant. I want fire and acid.

So, I create a new bladeforged paladin/sorceror.

I select 2 levels of paladin in the forge and leave and then I go select my first level of sorceror.

I then pop ENHANCEMENT tree and I can select paladin and ALL Sorceror trees.

Not consistent.

I suppose this is where I need to burn the LR +20 stone, I just don't understand why when I create a NEW bladeforged paladin/sorceror I can select acid/fire savant but on my already existing paladin/sorceror I am only given AIR SAVANT.

fail.
    I assume you have used the arrows on the edge of the enhancement screen to show the rest of the options?
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Have you used the arrow on the right side of the enhancement panel to slide over to the other trees?
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Default Fearsome Prescence?

Please define the word Prescence?

This is on the Bladeforged part of the tree.

Middle row
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 08-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Default But of course

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Have you used the arrow on the right side of the enhancement panel to slide over to the other trees?
    I would not be complaining if I had not exhausted all methods.

I just don't understand why when I create a NEW bladeforged paladin/sorceror I can select acid/fire savant but on my already existing paladin/sorceror I am only given AIR SAVANT.
    While we are on the subject of fail, I really don't understand how so many people can miss the arrow on the right side of the enhancement panel. Then you have the little drop boxes that allow to you select which enhancement line is showing in each box. Both just seemed so obvious to me.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 08-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

something like prescience, but shorter? And very scary.

Were making sure you have, in case someone knows one you missed

We would not be suggesting this if it weren't the most common solution to the problems people are having with the enhancement window.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Smile

All methods and all methods that you know of might not be the same thing. You should make a list, so that we can make suggestions in case we see something you missed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    While we are on the subject of fail, I really don't understand how so many people can miss the arrow on the right side of the enhancement panel. Then you have the little drop boxes that allow to you select which enhancement line is showing in each box. Both just seemed so obvious to me.
    Some things are obvious to some but not others. I figured out the dropdown boxes immediately but never noticed the side arrows until they were pointed out to me. I witnessed several others that first day who didn't see them either, some of them very smart, experienced players.

That's why UI design is its own scientific discipline.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

I had someone in my guild mention the exact same issue,

The solution was to use the arrow at the right of the enhancement UI to show one of the "empty" enhancement boxes and then from the drop down box at the bottom select the sorc tree that you wanted.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Some things are obvious to some but not others. I figured out the dropdown boxes immediately but never noticed the side arrows until they were pointed out to me. I witnessed several others that first day who didn't see them either, some of them very smart, experienced players.

True,

Color is important and making sure that the function element is not mistaken for decoration.

In my opinion the arrow could have been a little more noticeable but then again I have color perception issues....
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Default Thanks Tempest that is the solution

Quote Originally Posted by TempestAlphaOmega View Post
    I had someone in my guild mention the exact same issue,

The solution was to use the arrow at the right of the enhancement UI to show one of the "empty" enhancement boxes and then from the drop down box at the bottom select the sorc tree that you wanted.
    On one of the empty trees, I could select from the drop down box, even though they appeared greyed out to me.

My error for not selecting what I thought was greyed out, which means to me that it is not accessible. Which could be a part of my graphics.

I will complain about inconsistency, but Turbine can complain about me not fiddling with the drop down boxes properly.

Community Member

Also try turning any Savant you see to "Unset" first

I don't have a sorc but I recall seeing somewhere that having some savants active will lock you out of selecting from other savants, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I don't have a sorc but I recall seeing somewhere that having some savants active will lock you out of selecting from other savants, or something?
    Yeah, spending a point in Fire locks out Water, and Acid locks out Air, and vice versa.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post

^^this

the right arrow is:
    A different color than the window elements and kind of visually detached.
    In a VERY non-standard location half way up the right side of the window.
    OUTSIDE OF the borders of the window.
    Redish and gold earth tones in a game with lots of earthtones thus blending in to the background scenery.
    Has no scroll bar under the trees, which is a visual que that a right arrow exists. And also a common way that many people scroll to the right of a window.

In other words it got every UI design fundamental it possibly could have wrong.

I didn't see it EVEN AFTER reading the "hey look for the right arrow" thread on the first day because I was looking for a right arrow within the windows silver border, and also on the bottom of the window, when I didn't see it, and the lack of a scroll bar it made me assume where was nothing to scroll right to see. So naturally enough I figured "there must be a bug where some trees don't show up". Then there's the fact that the drop down list doesn't list the trees that are only visible when you scroll to the right. That was stupid UI design as well.

Basic UI functioning: make the drop down list contain ALL TREES, get rid of "Unassigned" and just make the tree swap locations every time you drop down and select the one you want: Say Ninja spy is in the first location: drop down: Arcane Archer, boom AA replaces Ninja spy in the first spot, Ninja spy goes to where AA was. simple and avoids this silly scroll to the right unassign > reassign thing.

I swear coders just love reinventing the wheel, DDO's inventory and UI design is a case study in why you should use standardized windows elements.

And I'm not even going to get into the "coding from the 80's" Lesser/Greater reincarnation UI. seriously the dude who did that and didn't put in so mach as a "start over I didn't like that" dialog, must have been smoking filter-less Pall Malls, backing up his data to 5.25's and reading "Fortran the language of the future" when they did that.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 08-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.

its like those movies were your told to watch and count the number of people on the scene and then you have the gorilla suit man walk across and only half the people see it. there is someting in the right arrows design that makes it a visual trick that maybe half the people just cant see

the first day i didnt find the right arrow even after reading there was a way to unlock the rest of the PrEs i looked and looked and reset all the visually PrEs until i came to the conculusion they were wrong not like the first time a big bug appeared after this size update.