Thread: Healing - HELP!

Community Member

Default Healing - HELP!

One of my characters is a Warforged ARTI, who is now a level 16 - but ONLY because a Paladin friend plays with her now and then. The problem is that neither Cleric nor Favored Soul hirelings can heal her. Their being unable to heal her started about level 12 or 13, so I stopped playing with her (unless helping friends), because I could not get any help from DDO Admin on this problem, after submitting Bug, and other, Reports. At level 13 she could use a WF Wizard hireling, who healed her when he healed himself - of course, using up his spell points (as does my Paladin friend when he has to use his "Lay on Hands' spell to heal her.
    Lately I took her out to the 'Sands" and deliberately ran her hit and spell points (healing herself) down, and had a Warforged Fav/Soul hireling with her and submitted an 'in game help ticket' to SHOW Admin the problem. Admin said I "must have chosen a Feat or an Enhancement' that did this to her! I asked Admin what Feat/Enhancement that would possibly be, but they couldn't answer that question. Their other advice was to "quit playing her"... Duhhhhhhh! That was exactly what I did when she was a level twelve or so and I discovered this problem. She was/is my 'loner' character to play when my quest partner isn't around for our other teams, AND she is/was one of my favorites.
    Warforged Wizards and Sorcerer hirelings WILL heal her when they heal themselves, but they are few and far between levels, and of course, that uses up their spell points.
    Does anyone know if anything can be done? (Bug Reports and/or Tech Help submissions certainly have not been able to solve this problem...)
    Thanks for any replies or help....

You took the Improved Fortification feat without fully reading its description.

Improves your warforged fortification, granting you immunity to sneak attacks and extra damage from critical hits. However, you lose the ability to be healed by spells from the healing subschool, such as Cure Light Wounds.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Fortification

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Warforged arti's make some of the best self-healing characters you can get.

Why not just get yourself some reconstruct scrolls if you're not wanting to use your own SP to cast repair on yourself?

If you really want rid of the Improved Fortification feat, go speak to Fred in House Jorasco.

Community Member

Default Healing - HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Warforged arti's make some of the best self-healing characters you can get.

Why not just get yourself some reconstruct scrolls if you're not wanting to use your own SP to cast repair on yourself?

If you really want rid of the Improved Fortification feat, go speak to Fred in House Jorasco.
    YES! I wanna get RID of it! It is hard to heal yourself when fighting, which the clerics and favored souls do so nicely! THANK YOU for the solution! I think, however, I used up her 'feat exchange' long ago, so will have to figure out how to get Fred to do another one....

Community Member

Default Healin

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    You took the Improved Fortification feat without fully reading its description.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Fortification
    THANK YOU for solving this 'mystery' of over a year now!

Community Member

They should remove that feat entirely now - its pointless, and its obviously a bit of a newbie trap....

With WF racial enhancements, you can hit 100% Fort already. Plus, Fort on items is a lot more common now, between augments and new Fortifying lootgen (and I'm not sure how much -Fort % monsters even have). There is absolutely zero reason to sacrifice your ability to get positive energy healing, just for 100% fort. Not that there was much reason before, anyway, but absolutely no reason now...

Edit to below: The feat could be improved just by dropping the Positive penalty, just make it a feat for 100% fort. Wouldn't be a good feat, of course, but its at least an option if you (for example) want to free up the gear slots/AP for something else.

If you want to keep the penalty to preserve the "flavor" of the feat, then it needs something else to make it worthwhile. Maybe +50% Repair Amp, to reflect your more "pure construct" nature? At least then it'd be attractive for arcane WF soloists who can Repair themselves...
    Last edited by droid327; 08-26-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    They should remove that feat entirely now - its pointless, and its obviously a bit of a newbie trap......
    Agreed.

Several problems involved with this feat.

One should at the start of every quest/raid announce that they cannot be healed by positive energy. Healers expect Pale Masters and look for them, they don't expect nor can they identify this type of immunity. If you do not do so, the healer will waste time and spell points on you, then become irritated that you did not announce such illness.

If you run out of spell points (and you probably will) then you cannot be healed by positive energy. There are places such as Caught in the Web where this will happen frequently due to spell drain and the like. Arcane are very reluctant to heal themselves or warforged barbarians, so you can imagine the amount of sympathy you will get from them.

Raids often have aura / burst / blast / mass positive energy effects going off. Do you really want to miss out on these? Look up Exalted Angel's Divine Wrath.

Raid are often healed by Cocoon / Renewal effects which are also positive energy. Being immune to Cocoon is a huge disadvantage as many players twist that in. You may foster more resentment towards your toon from that.

You surely can find better feats. Its easy enough to get a 120/125% fort item with other effects on it. Perhaps Improved Precise Shot instead?

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedshelp View Post
    YES! I wanna get RID of it! It is hard to heal yourself when fighting, which the clerics and favored souls do so nicely! THANK YOU for the solution! I think, however, I used up her 'feat exchange' long ago, so will have to figure out how to get Fred to do another one....
    Just speak to Fred and he'll tell you what he wants.

Clerics and FVS aren't in the party just to keep you alive though. If you are a warforged arcane caster in any party I'm in then I expect you to repair yourself. Your repair spells are much more effective on a warforged than a divine's healing. Especially with the new enhancements were it makes more sense to spend AP in Repair Systems to boost your own repair efficiency than reduce your positive energy penalty.