Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Having watched the latest DDOCast: Interview with Cordovan...

I'm sorry to say that this Mechanic is WAI - Eurggh Devs Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Standal View Post
    The new assassins are a great addition to the game. They have a devastating attack that is easy to avoid if you aren't braindead or lagged out. T
    A game this laggy shouldn't have spawn like they do in the new quests.

These assassins aren't that terrible once the initial shock and awe wears off but it is utterly ******** that the most devastating attack in DDO is a guy swinging a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    No way man! I just ran Thrill of the Hunt under level on elite (i.e. I on my 15th level Paladin, and a guildie on a 15th level Bladeforged), with no spoilers (didn't research the quest and hadn't run it before) and loved the challenge! I hope they don't make this any easier.

*Spoiler Alert*
    We ran into the first group of assassins and wiped in what felt like 5 seconds, maybe. After recovering (with a spirit cake), we went back in, and after a rough start I figured out the trick to fighting the assassins is to keep moving. You can't stand toe-to-toe with them for more than 2-3 seconds, or they'll do their special chain whip attack and take you out quickly. The trick is to keep them moving. Do a couple of swings and then move a short ways away so they have to run after you, when they catch up do a couple of more swings, then move again, etc. You can also audibly hear a chain when they start their chain whip attack, which is your queue to get the heck out of there.

As for the end fight, that was pretty rough. I was able to get through it by running around the cage in the middle to give enough breathing room to cast a heal or two, buff if needed, then turn for a cleave and great cleave, then run around the cage another turn or two. I just kept doing that until I won. I don't think a cleric hireling could have kept up, though it may be possible to park them down the hall and run their way every circuit of the cage to get a heal thrown on you. Also, it seems like having crowd control in that quest would be really helpful.

I'm sure when people figure out the tricks to beating this quest, it won't be such a big deal any longer. The #1 thing that the developers should do is increase the XP that it's worth. For the level of difficulty of this quest, I did feel quite jipped with how much XP we got (or didn't get). The XP should be doubled, easily.
    I fight the regular ones with trip and stun. It works charms. If you have unlocked legendary you have the sweep trip (forgot what it's called) and if you have unlocked fury then you can always adrenaline knock down them (if you got that unlocked).

That's 4 ways to neutralize it. Stun, trip, sweep and adrenaline knock down. Problem is that sometimes you got two and then the darn slow down hits you. It's insane how quickly that stuff stacks.

But then we're back to the boss(es).

BTW - those quills are a pain. 1 minute stacks (5 is max I've seen but it might be higher) and you'll have to wait until the top stack fades before it all goes away and if you get quilled again it restarts. Meanwhile you can't do or use anything without getting interrupted.

It's another dumb feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoriv View Post
    Does anyone know what is the nature of debuff that chain applies?

Can it be removed or is some untyped BS you have to let wear off?
    I haven't found anything that removes either the debuff (the haste debuff I think is only 15 seconds? - pain but once the top stack fades it's gone) or the quills.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Having watched the latest DDOCast: Interview with Cordovan...

I'm sorry to say that this Mechanic is WAI - Eurggh Devs Why?
    That's messed up. I don't object to a giants swing and push back or a giants stop and knock down. It's a giant. Or the Ogres or such stun heavy smack - it's a massive beast. They're annoying but to be expected by such a critter. But as annoying as they are they don't wipe entire parties in seconds.

But a tiny dude swinging a chain that manage to pierce fort and that can be swung forever? Ontop of that massive melee speed slow down? I don't fear these frickers - I hate the idiotic mechanic. If I have to switch to ranged on my melee I will, then curse the idiot hireling healer for being such a numbskull. But it's boorish and dull - a lazy feature added where it's more dangerous then a dire bear mauling you which is idiotic on its foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    A game this laggy shouldn't have spawn like they do in the new quests.

These assassins aren't that terrible once the initial shock and awe wears off but it is utterly ******** that the most devastating attack in DDO is a guy swinging a chain.
    In pnp the Spiked chain is an incredibly powerful weapon. The assassins are inline with pnp although the mechanic works a little different, but cleave, great cleave, and whirlwind are absolutely devasting for a spiked chain character in pnp because spiked chain attacks threaten 5 ft and 10 feat away which is unique for the game because all weapons either threaten 5 ft or 10 ft but none but the spike chain threaten both. I really hope that eventually we can make a character that uses spiked chains. Hopefully this starts the tech for implementation of them in game.

To be honest we need more unique mobs like the assassins becasue they enrich the game. The OP is just one of those that wants a stale and basic game for dummies. I liked air elementals as well which is a unique mob, but has been changed a bunch over the years. Now I am not sure if I like the current version but you get the picture.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Not signed! This game is already care bear easy mode. I swear people will complain about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    In pnp the Spiked chain is an incredibly powerful weapon. The assassins are inline with pnp although the mechanic works a little different, but cleave, great cleave, and whirlwind are absolutely devasting for a spiked chain character in pnp because spiked chain attacks threaten 5 ft and 10 feat away which is unique for the game because all weapons either threaten 5 ft or 10 ft but none but the spike chain threaten both. I really hope that eventually we can make a character that uses spiked chains. Hopefully this starts the tech for implementation of them in game.

To be honest we need more unique mobs like the assassins becasue they enrich the game. The OP is just one of those that wants a stale and basic game for dummies. I liked air elementals as well which is a unique mob, but has been changed a bunch over the years. Now I am not sure if I like the current version but you get the picture.
    It's still ********. It's a spike on a chain. Come on, that's not a real weapon. PnP broken meta-gaming aside it's just stupid.

It's still ********. It's a spike on a chain. Come on, that's not a real weapon. PnP broken meta-gaming aside it's just stupid.
    The kusarigama begs to differ.

Community Member

Only disorganized parties get wiped by assassins. They serve to keep people on their toes, as opposed to sleepwalking through the content. And as long as you stay on your toes, there's many ways to deal with them for a large variety of builds. Turtling up is probably to only trully ineffective method of dealing w/ them.

I enjoy them, and hope they keep them as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I think I made it clear what I think. No need to make assumptions about what I think in regards to this based on absolutely nothing I ever wrote in the top and subsequent posts.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    The kusarigama begs to differ.
    Come on, compared to a sword? you gotta be kidding me?

I agree that they should not be this effective, as the purpose of the kusarigama was of a defensive nature -- to disarm weapons or render opponents off-balance. My point was simply that the chain-spikes in DDO are modeled after a real weapon.

But, you have to take into account this is a game with magic, dragons, and living sentient robots. Chain flails that are more dangerous than they should be rank somewhat low on the scale of realism-vs-reality.

The Howler quill debuff icon is sometimes hidden, even when the debuff has been applied. Please fix.
    Kobeyashi | Hamada | Ying

Now a slow down (or daze effect) should be added to mauls. Not just stun, but I can see someone getting the wind knocked out of them by a massive weapon like that.

Feels corny that a pointy chain is more effective then well aimed daggers, massive axes etc.

Community Member

These are beat the same way everything is beat in this game...

Run like an idiot, have self healing, and you win...

I mean really, every video ever made of every character beating EEs they do a few things, every time.

1) Stack hit points like mad.
    2) Run constantly.
    3) Self heal.

That is the key to winning DDO. When your feet can save you from 90% of the in game damage, when you can self heal when you do take damage, and you have to stack enough hitpoints 700+ on every toon to ensure you can take 2 hits before you run, and self heal.

These new mobs are PERFECT for that tactic. You just run, use your standard rotation of stacking powers, self heal when you get hit once or twice, and ensure you have the hit points to take double hits.

For all the "character customization" really, there is only one thing that works VERY well.

Tanking? Why bother run.
    Bring a healer? Why bother self-heal.

About 2% of the content requires a tank. Everything else can be beat, with the above prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post

I mean really, every video ever made of every character beating EEs they do a few things, every time.

2) Run constantly.
    3) Self heal.

That is the key to winning DDO. When your feet can save you from 90% of the in game damage, when you can self heal when you do take damage, and you have to stack enough hitpoints 700+ on every toon to ensure you can take 2 hits before you run, and self heal.

These new mobs are PERFECT for that tactic. You just run, use your standard rotation of stacking powers, self heal when you get hit once or twice, and ensure you have the hit points to take double hits.

For all the "character customization" really, there is only one thing that works VERY well.

Tanking? Why bother run.

About 2% of the content requires a tank. Everything else can be beat, with the above prescription.

This is so true it's not funny.

I read through this and was expecting to see comments about saving the prisoner at the end. All I see is that the chain weapon hits too hard or the stacking debuff is a problem.

The chain weapon damage and it's debuff can be a bad thing:

Stun, Trip, knock down, command, hold or run away are all good techniques to remove the threat.

Hirelings, best technique I've found is to leave them at the Door in stand your ground mode and keep the fight at the other side of the hall. Run to them when you need a heal. Melee hirelings are more a hindrance to the end fight in here.

========================

The part I've been trying to work out is the poor prisoner in the cage that gets the traps turned on. At best I've done so far is survive through 2 trap activations, being lucky enough to be near the right levers at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post

2) Run constantly.
    3) Self heal.

Tanking? Why bother run.

Keep in mind that I wasn't talking about EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I read through this and was expecting to see comments about saving the prisoner at the end. All I see is that the chain weapon hits too hard or the stacking debuff is a problem.

The chain weapon damage and it's debuff can be a bad thing:

Stun, Trip, knock down, command, hold or run away are all good techniques to remove the threat.

Hirelings, best technique I've found is to leave them at the Door in stand your ground mode and keep the fight at the other side of the hall. Run to them when you need a heal. Melee hirelings are more a hindrance to the end fight in here.

========================

The part I've been trying to work out is the poor prisoner in the cage that gets the traps turned on. At best I've done so far is survive through 2 trap activations, being lucky enough to be near the right levers at the time.
    I would imagine that if you're a whole group 1 person can keep removing the traps and the rest occupy the boss. Something like 2-3 fury shoots while one person remove traps.

Soloing I don't bother because the instance you stop to turn it off the boss will be there and start swinging that fricken chain.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast