Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default Build ideas for someone who is struggling with the new systems (HELP?!)

    Hi guys,

    So I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do with my 20 fighter now. He'll be getting Epic TRed when I've got time to play the game to 28/when epic TR is available (Is it out yet?)

    He's Helf and I've got a few options I'm interested in:

    Dual Wielding 2/18 Monk/Fighter (Kensai/Flowers) With Paladin Dilly (switching to Paladin Dilly when the +3 tomes kick in and take him to 13 cha, alternatively trying to find a +5 tome for this purpose)

    Dual Wielding 2/2/16 Monk/Paladin/Fighter(Kensai/flowers) with some other Dilly, maybe artificer (Much the same as above but perhaps a bit build point starved)

    Sword and Board 2/18 Paladin/Fighter (Or pure fighter) (Stalwart/Unyielding) Sort of what I'd planned to go for before I saw Kensais could use any weapon as a ki weapon

  2. #2

    Default

    The ideas already presented by Cetus and Carpone here on the Fighter forum are probably about as good as you're going to get. I'm no expert, but IMO there are three categories of fighter. From worst to best: Pure fighter (which is me), fighter multi-classed with anything, and then fighter multi-classes with monk. If your class has the word monk in it, you are winning at DDO.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

  3. #3
    Community Member Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    The ideas already presented by Cetus and Carpone here on the Fighter forum are probably about as good as you're going to get. I'm no expert, but IMO there are three categories of fighter. From worst to best: Pure fighter (which is me), fighter multi-classed with anything, and then fighter multi-classes with monk. If your class has the word monk in it, you are winning at DDO.
    You said it brother. Every build I look at that is Melee - or even most non-melee have Monk levels.

    I just finished my last life and now have completionist. My intent was to take the first character I made back when DDO first came out and preserve his Fighter class all the way to end game. Now that I am here I scour the forums for a viable pure fighter option and come up empty handed.

    Long time Fighter players such as Cetus/Carpone have abandoned the idea of a pure fighter for splicing with Monk and/or Paladin or both. As an old school player I am really disgusted with the idea of having to multiclass my endgame completionist in order to make him as good as possible. Part of me wants to say screw it and just twist up a pure human 20 fighter like I have always wanted to do. My fear is if I do this and get him up to 28 I will be hurting myself by not having evasion, saves, or high enough ac let alone compromising my damage output.

    I guess I can use a lesser heart once I get to 20 and respec a few things if I don't feel like I am going down the right path. I guess I was hoping all along that Turbine would redo the capstones for some or all classes such that they encourage people to play pure classes rather than take levels of Monk with everything.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 17); Saulot (Life 5); Leviathian (Life 9); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    You said it brother. Every build I look at that is Melee - or even most non-melee have Monk levels.

    I just finished my last life and now have completionist. My intent was to take the first character I made back when DDO first came out and preserve his Fighter class all the way to end game. Now that I am here I scour the forums for a viable pure fighter option and come up empty handed.

    Long time Fighter players such as Cetus/Carpone have abandoned the idea of a pure fighter for splicing with Monk and/or Paladin or both. As an old school player I am really disgusted with the idea of having to multiclass my endgame completionist in order to make him as good as possible. Part of me wants to say screw it and just twist up a pure human 20 fighter like I have always wanted to do. My fear is if I do this and get him up to 28 I will be hurting myself by not having evasion, saves, or high enough ac let alone compromising my damage output.

    I guess I can use a lesser heart once I get to 20 and respec a few things if I don't feel like I am going down the right path. I guess I was hoping all along that Turbine would redo the capstones for some or all classes such that they encourage people to play pure classes rather than take levels of Monk with everything.
    I man, having start to play again recently after a long absence, i feel your pain! Those new enahncements/ class builds, and feats are all confusing.
    If you want a simple/ fun/ easy/ and not to expensive (gear/ tomes wise) try the figther/ cleric 12/8 by EllisDee37, a little higher on the figther's forum.
    Really enjoying it, no headache, and breeze to content... Try it, you won't be disapointed... Ho and the best part: no monk require!

  5. #5
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMaxson View Post
    Dual Wielding 2/18 Monk/Fighter (Kensai/Flowers) With Paladin Dilly (switching to Paladin Dilly when the +3 tomes kick in and take him to 13 cha, alternatively trying to find a +5 tome for this purpose)
    First off, tomes can no longer be retroactively applied to HE dilly pre-req; i.e., you have to have 13+ in your base stat at lvl 1. [I suspect that was a bug/exploit which Turbine stealth-fixed.] Also, because the final tier of HE dillies is at the top of the racial tree, it's become prohibitively expensive to max them out; IMHO, if you really want that bonus to saves, take a pally 2 splash for Divine Grace.

    If you're not staying pure for the capstone, there's much less incentive to take more than 12 ftr lvls; and if you're going monk / Kensei route, I would want monk 6 for an extra feat, Adept of Forms free, and Shadow Veil.

    I'm trying my luck with an old-fashioned Dwarven Defender; but I went into it kinda presuming I would need to LR into something more viable someday...
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload