Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melee Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Most_Shady View Post
    I am sorry to burst your bubble but you are just going to get murdered. I have no clue why these posters are leading you to believe that a "melee sorc" will be successful. Maybe if you only plan on running epic normal I guess it may work a bit but, as a sorc for a main for about three years, you will be very squishie and hear nothing but dings while you quest.

Sorcs are made to bob and weave and sting like a bee. Not stand like a tree and get chopped down.

But I guess to each their own, only trying to save you the headache and wasted time for trying to make this build work. Good luck.
    I'm sorry to pop your bubble, but you don't seem to be very imaginative.
    1) Epic hard can be solo'd by anything. ANYTHING.
    2) Displacement, Tensers (BAB), dodge (everyone should have it), self heals... why not? Difference between that and the Juggernaut is mainly manyshot. Sorc's however have unlimited displacement, haste and buffs.
    3) Standing works fine. How do I know? Running around with a melee wizard. Not to mention, sorc's have nothing to help them "bob and weave", nor "sting like a bee". Unless you air spec for wings, of course. As for stinging like a bee, you mean hitting like a truck?
    4) Sorc's have nothing inherently lowering their survivability, aside from low hit die. That 80 hp isn't much to get over though.
    5) Tukaw. Been done before, became popular(ish).

To OP: Do it if you want. You will have issues to overcome (not least the hysteria of silly pugs), but nothing insurmountable if you do it right

Oh, and I like 2x deathnips. I've got them lying around for my next TWF life.
    Might even do a TWF sorc, just to laugh at sterotypes. (like that Sireth cleric I did. Good times.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I'm sorry to pop your bubble, but you don't seem to be very imaginative.
    1) Epic hard can be solo'd by anything. ANYTHING.
    2) Displacement, Tensers (BAB), dodge (everyone should have it), self heals... why not? Difference between that and the Juggernaut is mainly manyshot. Sorc's however have unlimited displacement, haste and buffs.
    3) Standing works fine. How do I know? Running around with a melee wizard. Not to mention, sorc's have nothing to help them "bob and weave", nor "sting like a bee". Unless you air spec for wings, of course. As for stinging like a bee, you mean hitting like a truck?
    4) Sorc's have nothing inherently lowering their survivability, aside from low hit die. That 80 hp isn't much to get over though.
    5) Tukaw. Been done before, became popular(ish).

To OP: Do it if you want. You will have issues to overcome (not least the hysteria of silly pugs), but nothing insurmountable if you do it right

Oh, and I like 2x deathnips. I've got them lying around for my next TWF life.
    Might even do a TWF sorc, just to laugh at sterotypes. (like that Sireth cleric I did. Good times.)
    Imagination has nothing to do with playing smart. Sure I can go imagine an off the grid build but don't mean it will work. And the tukaw build was laughed into oblivion. It did not work and will never work. A melee sorc is foolish plain and simple. Unless like I said you only plan on playing at low level in epics. And people always wonder why they get declined, not because people have no imagination it is because they don't feel like carrying dead weight to the shrine every couple of minutes. Inventory space is valuable.

A melee wizard? You people are funny.

Sure and I will make a casting barbarian.

And I never said he can't play anything he wants but I know reading is hard. I was only trying to give him the only good advice in this whole thread and save him from wasting time.

LOL melee casters! When will they learn? This is not pnp.

EDIT: What server are you on? Hope argo because I want to see this melee wizard in action in EE.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Unless like I said you only plan on playing at low level in epics.
    Not everyone wants to play EE. I know the forums make it seem like EE is all anyone ever does, but many people don't bother with them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Not everyone wants to play EE. I know the forums make it seem like EE is all anyone ever does, but many people don't bother with them.
    I don't play EE all the time either but wouldn't you build a toon that can handle all content in the game including the tough ones? I guess I just assumed that someone planning on building a toon and putting so much thought into it would want it to be able to handle all content.

If I was wrong, well then carry on OP and enjoy your toon. But be warned that it will never work in harder content if that is something you care about. Have fun all and good luck.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Community Member

Imagination has nothing to do with playing smart. Sure I can go imagine an off the grid build but don't mean it will work. And the tukaw build was laughed into oblivion. It did not work and will never work. A melee sorc is foolish plain and simple. Unless like I said you only plan on playing at low level in epics. And people always wonder why they get declined, not because people have no imagination it is because they don't feel like carrying dead weight to the shrine every couple of minutes. Inventory space is valuable.

A melee wizard? You people are funny.

Sure and I will make a casting barbarian.

And I never said he can't play anything he wants but I know reading is hard. I was only trying to give him the only good advice in this whole thread and save him from wasting time.

LOL melee casters! When will they learn? This is not pnp.

EDIT: What server are you on? Hope argo because I want to see this melee wizard in action in EE.
    your posts are filled with assumptions and bias. it has done nothing constructive to give light to mechanics or optimize my build. If I want to try melee and magic that is my prerogative. I do not find it a waste of time to pursue a playstyle I enjoy. If I find the mechanics to much of a strain or they don't "work" for me I will try something else. Please stop assuming you know whats best for me and provide constructive feedback or don't bother.

On topic: I am leaning towards death nips the damage potential seems very high but i could sacrifice a little damage for morning stars if the game wasn't overwhelming. 3 on regular high end, 2 on heart seeker high end, and 40 with a +10 confirm is damn hard to beat though let alone the x4 impact on + damage.

I don't play EE all the time either but wouldn't you build a toon that can handle all content in the game including the tough ones?
    Me personally? No, I do not design builds for EE because I don't run EE.

EDIT: For example, if I wanted to play EE on my pale master I would have converted him into a shirardi caster. But I prefer DC casting, and wearing a torc, and all sorts of things that don't work on EE but used to work in the game before EE was introduced.

So instead of pew pewing with magic missiles for the last year, I happily continued my DC casting ways. Now, thanks to power creep, my pale master is effective in lower level EEs but I still don't bother with them.

Same deal with my necro cleric. I would have converted him into a hardcore defensive healbot if I wanted to run EE. Or whatever the EE cleric build is, if there even is one.

From my perspective, EE changes the game in a very unfun way, and I have no interest in participating in that flavor of DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledtyrant View Post
    your posts are filled with assumptions and bias...... provide constructive feedback or don't bother...
    My posts are filled with experience and knowledge of the game. No assumptions or bias present. I already stated that I played mainly a sorc for over three years. Done all types of trials and errors with the class. Died many times and learned how to survive. And trust me, it was not by meleeing.

A melee sorc is not going to work plain and simple. Sorry if you think I am being biased or making assumptions but it is the truth. Even with displacement you get hit a lot. And a sorc getting hit a lot is going to die. How much strength do you think you are going to be able to achieve to do any kind of damage on end bosses? How many hits do you think you are going to be able to take before dying? How are you going to tank bosses?

And I did give you constructive criticism, in fact I was the only one doing so. I told you it won't work in end game high difficulty content and tried to save you time and headache but you call it bias. Just don't come crying on the forums about people declining your build and calling them bias and unimaginative.

I could really care less what you want to play, I even offered you well wishes. Have fun.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 01:04 AM.

No assumptions or bias present.
    Your assumption is that he wants to bring his melee sorc into EE shadowfell or gianthold.

If he does not want to play EE, a melee sorc will work just fine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Your assumption is that he wants to bring his melee sorc into EE shadowfell or gianthold.

If he does not want to play EE, a melee sorc will work just fine.
    No that can't be what he meant because I even addressed that in my first post to this thread. Said that it would be ok in low level epics but won't work in higher difficulties. So he must of meant something else.

But it is what it is. Some people ask for help but really only want to talk and not hear your opinions.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Community Member

My posts are filled with experience and knowledge of the game. No assumptions or bias present. I already stated that I played mainly a sorc for over three years. Done all types of trials and errors with the class. Died many times and learned how to survive. And trust me, it was not by meleeing.

A melee sorc is not going to work plain and simple. Sorry if you think I am being biased or making assumptions but it is the truth. Even with displacement you get hit a lot. And a sorc getting hit a lot is going to die. How much strength do you think you are going to be able to achieve to do any kind of damage on end bosses? How many hits do you think you are going to be able to take before dying? How are you going to tank bosses?

And I did give you constructive criticism, in fact I was the only one doing so. I told you it won't work in end game high difficulty content and tried to save you time and headache but you call it bias. Just don't come crying on the forums about people declining your build and calling them bias and unimaginative.

I could really care less what you want to play, I even offered you well wishes. Have fun.
    you berate and dismiss any notion of melee and sorcery mixing with obnoxious LoLing and sweeping statements. You've tried melee sorc and obviously it failed having you approach the discussion with a negative bias towards the topic. I didn't set that tone you did. You assume I am wasting my time play a class I enjoy and pursuing a playstyle I enjoy. You assume what content I'm tackling. if it wasn't obvious from my stat breakdowns in the beginning this was a levle 20 set up on a first life. this had nothing to do with epic anything to begin with. Yet you jump the gun there anyway.

there are plenty of more options open past 20 item wise and ED wise. Pure sorc has 25 Prr in elemental form just 1 prr less than full plate. Hell you can wear up to medium twilight armor for an extra 17 It also has the capability with 20+ items and ED to push 80-105+ AC while staying full dragon incarnate no twists. Like stated earlier the only real gap is a 80 hp gap. tensers + rage spell is +6 str + 6 con and +2 dex at all times. Fire and earth have +2 str and con. Human another +1 str +1 con. Is it as much as a full raged barb with all enhances? no but it doesn't have to be it's a hybrid therefore it has spells back it up. Hence why I would use weapons that have higher damage potential like death nips .These are calcs with only free to play classes and enhancements. I would go on but i haven't even begone to fully flesh out what a 28 would look like.

Lastly why the heck would a dps be tanking?

I've pretty much got my answer on weapons. I'll make a much more detailed break down of the 4 outlines in the custom character sub forum later so i don't clog this forum anymore.
    Last edited by Exiledtyrant; 09-16-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved2 View Post
    I am looking for help with making a melee sorcerer build.

I am just starting out so any info towards helping perfect this play style would be appreciated.
    No it was not obvious. Sounds to me you plan on keeping this toon. Why else would you be worried about perfecting it?

You've tried melee sorc and obviously it failed having you approach the discussion with a negative bias towards the topic.
    No never tried it and never will. Please don't disrespect my sorc like that. I am done with this convo. Have fun meleeing as a sorc.

As I will go have fun casting as a barb.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved2 View Post
    I am looking for help with making a melee sorcerer build.

I am just starting out so any info towards helping perfect this play style would be appreciated.

So far I have gone Maul, and light mithral chain shirt for armor(5% failure).

I need help with armor progression and how to farm mithral chain shirts. I'm not sure really where to start after this armor falls behind in the next 5 or so levels. I have a pretty good idea where I want to go to get mauls. I am also not sure where I should look for ways to get physical damage reduction past augments.

I will definitely be utilizing concealment with the 50% displacement spell and on and off with various fogs. If anyone could supply some good benchmarks for Dps survival stats that would be great. it's looking like I'll have to rely on AC, concealment and hp for the bulk of my defense as I can't budget a solid dex for dodge.

I am going for 41 earth/39 fire at the moment possibly 9 points from fire into human for the stats and boosts but I am unsure. I am a human 28 point build sorc looking to go pure for elemental earth form.
    my base stats are:
    16 str
    10 dex
    10 con
    12 int
    8 wis
    16 cha

My feats at the moment are:
    force of character ( cha for will saves)
    power attack
    meta magic heighten ( to double buff duration)

I'm looking at 5 more so I am considering:
    light armor proficiency
    mental toughness
    greater mental toughness
    great spell focus conjuration
    greater spell focus evocation

other feats I'm looking at:
    bleeding feat
    improved sunder
    greater spell penetration
    toughness

I'll make up a spell list and plug it in here later if I can still post. it should mostly center around 3 big single nukes for fire, 3 big dots from acid, 3 aoe fogs from acid/mist, buffs especially tensers transformation, and 3 fire aoes.
    28 point build. no epic feats. no ED break down listed. Low potential stats armor etc stat total broken down even more. Yes this screamed EE.

Unless like I said you only plan on playing at low level in epics. And people always wonder why they get declined, not because people have no imagination it is because they don't feel like carrying dead weight to the shrine every couple of minutes. Inventory space is valuable.
    Give me three reasons why a melee wizard using wraps is worse than a monk, with the exception of wings (meh), quivering palm and imp evasion.

I'm yet to be declined from EE. Even my staff cleric was soloing some EE's before I got bored.

So, I'm curious. What's your opinion of the ever esteemed Juggernaut?
    Waste of space, artis shouldn't melee, right?

No it was not obvious. Sounds to me you plan on keeping this toon. Why else would you be worried about perfecting it?

No never tried it and never will. Please don't disrespect my sorc like that. I am done with this convo. Have fun meleeing as a sorc.

As I will go have fun casting as a barb.

Hmmm, i agree, its far from optimal and i wouldn't advise this type of build to a newbie (thats what i gather from your "what's BTA" question).
    However, people have been making it to cap by slayer area's and when i'm on the Tr-train i pull plenty of dead waste to cap, (very evedent in the many tell's i get from them: are you level X yet? i'm getting stomped by: (The Tear of Dhakaan/Gwylan's Stand/The Xorian Cipher/Stromvauld's Mine/Caverns of Korromar/etc)), he should be aware that he will need a party for some quests and the scruiteny from partymembers.
    However, if he can actualy contribute to the party, why not, just make sure you stay away from Heroic/Epic Elites.
    this build will still be better then that @hole level 20 fvs pinion using waste of a party spot on argo, refusing to buff or heal, clearly stating he could but refused anyway.

If you are realy serious about this build, consider doing paladin2, for the saves and proficiency.
    Warforged will allow you to self heal.
    Don't bother with the armor class, past lv 10 you'll most likely wo'n't be able to make it work, plenty of well geared defenders can get a 80+% miss chance from armor class, wou won't be able to.
    Use something that works well with critt chance, a letteropener/ keen falchion (both lv 2) untill you grab a carnifex (lv 4).
    past lv 10 your dc's will suffer badly unless you invest in gear (with the build you posted), how are you gone deal with those? switching weapon all the time between casting/fighting?

Spell points,
    Get items to increase it, play smarter, not harder, group up , learn where shrines are.

Build,
    Communicate with party members about it, let them know before hand, otherwise people will blacklist(/squelch) you, this will cause them not to see your party invites.

Defences,
    Get false life items early on, get a minos legends (very easy, people might even help you with the tapestry pieces needed).
    Get moderate and full fortrification as early as possible.

Combat,
    Let the party tank (any real melee class) grab the agro before you jump in, play like a rog and stab m in the back.
    pet's/hires might work at low level but won't at high levels.

Prr, a melee will gain 30 prr from plate armor but will gain more from feats and enhancements then you ever will, the 25 mentioned earlier will not keep you save from 400 damage per physical hit. Nor will blur/displacement, too many enemies can and will cast true seeing, negating a large chunck of your defence. what will you do to compensate?

Saves,
    What will your saves be? Most importantly your reflex saves, since you won't have the hp to survive enemy casters for long, since you seem to be going for prolonged combat over the fast kill pace of a true sorc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Hmmm, i agree, its far from optimal and i wouldn't advise this type of build to a newbie (thats what i gather from your "what's BTA" question).
    However, people have been making it to cap by slayer area's and when i'm on the Tr-train i pull plenty of dead waste to cap, (very evedent in the many tell's i get from them: are you level X yet? i'm getting stomped by: (The Tear of Dhakaan/Gwylan's Stand/The Xorian Cipher/Stromvauld's Mine/Caverns of Korromar/etc)), he should be aware that he will need a party for some quests and the scruiteny from partymembers.
    However, if he can actualy contribute to the party, why not, just make sure you stay away from Heroic/Epic Elites.

this build will still be better then that @hole level 20 fvs pinion using waste of a party spot on argo, refusing to buff or heal, clearly stating he could but refused anyway.

If you are realy serious about this build, consider doing paladin2, for the saves and proficiency.
    Warforged will allow you to self heal.
    Don't bother with the armor class, past lv 10 you'll most likely wo'n't be able to make it work, plenty of well geared defenders can get a 80+% miss chance from armor class, wou won't be able to.
    Use something that works well with critt chance, a letteropener/ keen falchion (both lv 2) untill you grab a carnifex (lv 4).
    past lv 10 your dc's will suffer badly unless you invest in gear (with the build you posted), how are you gone deal with those? switching weapon all the time between casting/fighting?

Spell points,
    Get items to increase it, play smarter, not harder, group up , learn where shrines are.

Build,
    Communicate with party members about it, let them know before hand, otherwise people will blacklist(/squelch) you, this will cause them not to see your party invites.

Defences,
    Get false life items early on, get a minos legends (very easy, people might even help you with the tapestry pieces needed).
    Get moderate and full fortrification as early as possible.

Combat,
    Let the party tank (any real melee class) grab the agro before you jump in, play like a rog and stab m in the back.
    pet's/hires might work at low level but won't at high levels.

Prr, a melee will gain 30 prr from plate armor but will gain more from feats and enhancements then you ever will, the 25 mentioned earlier will not keep you save from 400 damage per physical hit. Nor will blur/displacement, too many enemies can and will cast true seeing, negating a large chunck of your defence. what will you do to compensate?

Saves,
    What will your saves be? Most importantly your reflex saves, since you won't have the hp to survive enemy casters for long, since you seem to be going for prolonged combat over the fast kill pace of a true sorc.

The only quests I've needed a party for 1-16 yet has been for hard or elite has been delirium, eyes of stone, and the necro 4 flag quests . Caverns and Tear were done solo 1-3 underleveled. I don't have the packs for the other 3 you listed. I've been able to complete the necro tomb quests besides rat maze and the ones that need 2 people solo and 2 levels under. I've also soloed garden of macbre since 11 and cleared inferno / temple of vol since 12. My hardest quest that been invaders becuase of beholders and whisperdoom because as a fire/earth savant with blunt weapons i am hit by DR on every turn. The build kills fast and has been doing fine in parties for my heroics.

Spells DCs don't matter none of my spells have checks or spell resistance. Acid fog, wall of fire, melfs acid arrow, burning blood, black dragon bolt, scorching ray, and acid rain. all solid damage and can stack upon each other. the only 2 caster dcs I slot for are spell power acid/fire and crit chance acid/fire. crit chance will easily hit 20-30%. it's at 20 now actually and I use **** gear. Cooldowns are also a non issue since sorc cooldowns are lightning fast. my slowest spell on tensor may be 3 seconds.

I have my own reservations about paladins and I like using humans. I have maintained a 55-61% miss chance with my ac from level 1-16. I have read ac tapers off drastically later on but I have had no problem keeping my miss chance that high paired with displacement and i don't even use ac feats besides the 2 from earth.

If someone was to be so ignorant as to put me on ignore before even questing with me i don't think I'd want to play with them anyway.

This build is obviously a follow up fighter. I don't want the aggro that is very true. I don't think any dps minded build does though.

you'll have to tell me where your 30 prr comes from. The highest base bab I see is 20. Heavy armor prof 20 +6 should be 26. that's 1 higher than elemental earth. Lets expand twilight scale mail medium armor 0% asf 17 extra from medium armor prof. easily fit in even if you had to sac mental toughness 1 and 2 on a pure sorc. so now we are at 42 prr while in tensor. Lets add a blue gem I have a low +6 so that's 48. that's 48 pure no splash. That about the 25% damage reduction. Seems pretty good for a dps. DPS has bard tree for an easy 6 , occult barb for a 12 and tempest for a 10. but that's a lot of splashes and points taken away from dps isn't it? splash melee sorc can just as easily fit though in however. also 10 dr stone skin now sorc has barb dr in a spell.

May need to feat saves on a pure sorc, can always get 4 from greater heroism and 6 from equipment. my gear slots are fairly flexible since I can ignore almost every caster stat. Saves aren't nailed down right now. Dual wield splash has ranger saves to bite from and a reason to justify dex. 2handed not so much but int and wis are both dumps.

The only quests I've needed a party for 1-16 yet has been for hard or elite has been delirium, eyes of stone, and the necro 4 flag quests . Caverns and Tear were done solo 1-3 underleveled. I don't have the packs for the other 3 you listed. I've been able to complete the necro tomb quests besides rat maze and the ones that need 2 people solo and 2 levels under. I've also soloed garden of macbre since 11 and cleared inferno / temple of vol since 12. My hardest quest that been invaders becuase of beholders and whisperdoom because as a fire/earth savant with blunt weapons i am hit by DR on every turn. The build kills fast and has been doing fine in parties for my heroics.

Ahhh dungeon scalling in play here, many solo builds don't always work in a party on elite though

Spells DCs don't matter none of my spells have checks or spell resistance. Acid fog, wall of fire, melfs acid arrow, burning blood, black dragon bolt, scorching ray, and acid rain. all solid damage and can stack upon each other. the only 2 caster dcs I slot for are spell power acid/fire and crit chance acid/fire. crit chance will easily hit 20-30%. it's at 20 now actually and I use **** gear. Cooldowns are also a non issue since sorc cooldowns are lightning fast. my slowest spell on tensor may be 3 seconds.

I have my own reservations about paladins and I like using humans. I have maintained a 55-61% miss chance with my ac from level 1-16. I have read ac tapers off drastically later on but I have had no problem keeping my miss chance that high paired with displacement and i don't even use ac feats besides the 2 from earth.

If someone was to be so ignorant as to put me on ignore before even questing with me i don't think I'd want to play with them anyway.

Very good , your ac is petty good for a pj wearing toon

This build is obviously a follow up fighter. I don't want the aggro that is very true. I don't think any dps minded build does though.

you'll have to tell me where your 30 prr comes from. The highest base bab I see is 20. Heavy armor prof 20 +6 should be 26. that's 1 higher than elemental earth. Lets expand twilight scale mail medium armor 0% asf 17 extra from medium armor prof. easily fit in even if you had to sac mental toughness 1 and 2 on a pure sorc. so now we are at 42 prr while in tensor. Lets add a blue gem I have a low +6 so that's 48. that's 48 pure no splash. That about the 25% damage reduction. Seems pretty good for a dps. DPS has bard tree for an easy 6 , occult barb for a 12 and tempest for a 10. but that's a lot of splashes and points taken away from dps isn't it? splash melee sorc can just as easily fit though in however. also 10 dr stone skin now sorc has barb dr in a spell.

PRR 30, 6+24 is 30 at lv 28 (epic base attack bonus)

May need to feat saves on a pure sorc, can always get 4 from greater heroism and 6 from equipment. my gear slots are fairly flexible since I can ignore almost every caster stat. Saves aren't nailed down right now. Dual wield splash has ranger saves to bite from and a reason to justify dex. 2handed not so much but int and wis are both dumps.

What? i cant make heads or tails from this, the syntax makes no sence. (don't worry, my first 3 languages aren't english either)
    awnsers between the quotte

Community Member

+4 moral bonus to all saves from greater heroism, +6 resist from equipment. dual wield build allow for more +dex than usual so I can have 3 more then if I didn't dual wield and an extra +3 form ranger tree without effecting damage or build. My highest saves have always been fortitude and reflex. I can itemize for dex, con, str, health etc because I can ignore every caster stat besides SP, spell crit and spell power.

I also wish people would stop dragging in epic stats to the argument. I have even looked at what epic stats would be possible. That like me says well 200 hits wouldn't even matter because I walk around with 100/alabative dr that stacks with stone skin on a 30 sec downtime from dragon incarnate. level 20+ items are also very different. I am in +6s and I plan to get to +8. From reading 28 stats items have jumped to +9s and +11s. that's a major stat jump when put together.
    Last edited by Exiledtyrant; 09-16-2013 at 12:31 PM.

No never tried it and never will. Please don't disrespect my sorc like that.
    And there ya go. Out of your own mouth comes the reason why you shouldn't have responded. You are only stating what you think...you never really tried it. I personally would never attempt a melee sorc ( I might run some sort of PDK sorc just for kicks and giggles ), but the OP is shelling out RL $ to do something he wants to do, and that is the beauty of this game, you are only limited by your own imagination when you play this game.

No that can't be what he meant because I even addressed that in my first post to this thread. Said that it would be ok in low level epics but won't work in higher difficulties. So he must of meant something else.
    Your disingenuous 1-line disclaimer was invalidated when you followed it up with an avalanche of bias and derision.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

No never tried it and never will.
    Look, I get you're good at a caster Sorc, I've seen you in action and you're good. But since you've clearly never tried a melee sorc, and there are very few of them on Argo any more, you obviously don't have the experience to draw the conclusion that Melee Sorcs are just bad. I could make a WF Sorc version of the Juggernaught and it would do almost the same DPS, and have almost the same survivability, the biggest difference would be weapon buffs, which would easily be overshadowed by Dots.

I'm actually leveling a Fleshy Melee sorc right now, and it's destroying heroic content. If it ever gets to cap and I get some gear/ED's on it I'm sure it will destroy EE's as well. Ed's have changed the game enough that the difference in a arcane/divine melee and a regular melee isn't as bad as it once was. Sure a melee sorc will never be putting out the DPS a regular melee class would, but to say that it's useless/worthless is just silly and unrealistic.

Hell, my melee Sorc is regularly seeing crits in the 250-350 range on Cleave/Great Cleaves, and that's just with a Maelstrom at level 16. Add to that my dots, and Icestorm hitting for 200-300 a tick.. Yeah, completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Give me three reasons why a melee wizard using wraps is worse than a monk, with the exception of wings (meh), quivering palm and imp evasion.
    1. Way less [W] Damage than a pure Monk, or a split with at least 12 monk levels.(Forget the actual term for monks [W] damage. lol)
    2. No stunning fist. Or if you take stunning fist and max wis to get a workable DC, it means you've let your int slack off, so less SP for buffs/no save damage spells.
    3. Saves will not be as high as a Monks. Insightful helps this but along with #2, if you dump Int for a max Wis and stunning Fist you loose that benefit.

Now, that being said I have a melee Wizard and I loved capping her. Was a blast. I would never tell anyone not to make a melee Wizard or a melee Sorc, but you did ask... ;p

As for OP, for a melee sorc I would recommend something along the lines of 16Sorc/2Fighter/2Monk, going THF with Great Axes. If no access to Monk, 2Paladin or 2 Rogue would be almost as good. You would only lose 2 feats. Half Elf for race, Human if you don't have Access.

Max str, keep Cha/Con up, put all levels up into Str.

If you had Access to the PDK race you could make a really nice melee Sorc with Max Cha, and Cha tohit/damage with Great Axes.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast