Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Looking over how I'd do the enhancements for a staff version, I see some good stuff. The first thing I notice is Unbalancing Strike in the henshin tree, so that has to work with staffs. Should be all good.

I think I'd go darkside for the tier 5 henshin super attack: Shadows Cannot Exist Without Light. Tag a mob that's beating on the kobolds, kill it, and all nearby kobolds get healed for 100 hp. That sounds good to me. The alternative, if you go light side, gives enemies negative levels when you kill the tagged mob. That sounds kind of meh for challenges.

Void Strike has me intrigued.

Henshin Mystic: 36 AP
    1 first core
    8 henshin staff training I-IV
    8 elemental words I-IV
    4 wisdomx2
    2 way of the patient tortoise
    2 unbalancing strike
    3 contemplation III
    2 lightning the candle
    2 staff specialization
    2 void strike
    2 shadows cannot exist without light

Thief Acrobat (23 AP)
    1 first core
    4 staff training I-II
    3 thief acrobatics
    3 trip focus
    6 quick strike III
    6 haste boost (woohoo!!!!)

Human (4 AP)
    1 damage boost
    2 wisdom
    1 saves boost

Shintao (1 AP)
    1 first core

In terms of dps, the biggest concern for a challenge farmer is boss fights, so I'd definitely spend 6 AP on haste boost (paired with human damage boost: yum!) instead of sweeping strikes. So you only end up needing 2 rogue levels.

For devashta, a min2 will work fine. Haste+damage boost, all those staff damage bonuses, quick strikes; she'll go down quickly. And with unbalancing strikes she'll spend half the fight attacking the air behind her, so it won't hurt too badly. But it will hurt. And definitely don't skimp on wisdom, since the dc used to turn her around with unbalancing is wisdom based.

For animated armors, I guess just use a lit2 and ignore the DR/adamantine. The unarmed version bypasses it natively, so any smiting wraps ML16 or under from the ah work great.

EDIT:

Without unarmed combat you'll get virtually all your healing from Shadows Cannot Exist Without Light, so definitely go darkside. For 15 ki you tag any mob, then kill it within 10 seconds and bask in a 100 hp aoe heal. Devotion doesn't help, but the 5% amp from shintao will. Cooldown is a mere 6 seconds, so if you have enough ki, this should give you all the healing you need. It could end up being even more healing than my lightside unarmed guy. (Long boss fights could leave you vulnerable, since without kill shots you get no heals.)

The biggest loss is dismissing strike. It is incredibly useful in most challenges: In the mansion, it's key for insta-killing water elementals, which give nearby bosses super fast healing. On kobold island it's effective at insta-killing orthons and bearded devils, and in extraplanar palace it's basically no-fal for banishing mephits. Lava caves is the only area it doesn't help.

I think your staff version should work well and be very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Looking over how I'd do the enhancements for a staff version, I see some good stuff. The first thing I notice is Unbalancing Strike in the henshin tree, so that has to work with staffs. Should be all good.

I think I'd go darkside for the tier 5 henshin super attack: Shadows Cannot Exist Without Light. Tag a mob that's beating on the kobolds, kill it, and all nearby kobolds get healed for 100 hp. That sounds good to me. The alternative, if you go light side, gives enemies negative levels when you kill the tagged mob. That sounds kind of meh for challenges.

Void Strike has me intrigued.

Henshin Mystic: 36 AP
    1 first core
    8 henshin staff training I-IV
    8 elemental words I-IV
    4 wisdomx2
    2 way of the patient tortoise
    2 unbalancing strike
    3 contemplation III
    2 lightning the candle
    2 staff specialization
    2 void strike
    2 shadows cannot exist without light

Thief Acrobat (23 AP)
    1 first core
    4 staff training I-II
    3 thief acrobatics
    3 trip focus
    6 quick strike III
    6 haste boost (woohoo!!!!)

Human (4 AP)
    1 damage boost
    2 wisdom
    1 saves boost

Shintao (1 AP)
    1 first core

In terms of dps, the biggest concern for a challenge farmer is boss fights, so I'd definitely spend 6 AP on haste boost (paired with human damage boost: yum!) instead of sweeping strikes. So you only end up needing 2 rogue levels.

For devashta, a min2 will work fine. Haste+damage boost, all those staff damage bonuses, quick strikes; she'll go down quickly. And with unbalancing strikes she'll spend half the fight attacking the air behind her, so it won't hurt too badly. But it will hurt. And definitely don't skimp on wisdom, since the dc used to turn her around with unbalancing is wisdom based.

For animated armors, I guess just use a lit2 and ignore the DR/adamantine. The unarmed version bypasses it natively, so any smiting wraps ML16 or under from the ah work great.

Without unarmed combat you'll have essentially no heals at all. I would find that problematic, as the vast majority of my challenge farmer's healing comes from fists of light. And there's a fair amount of self-healing to do. This could end up being the downfall.
    Yeah what you had listed is pretty much what I was leaning to but the healing is a concern. I have a week or 2 before I build this so will think about it. Might just go handwraps and go farm some *shrug*

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    Yeah what you had listed is pretty much what I was leaning to but the healing is a concern. I have a week or 2 before I build this so will think about it. Might just go handwraps and go farm some *shrug*
    Actually, I was mistaken on first glance, and edited in the correction.

You'll have lots of heals as a staff user thanks to the henshin tier 5 darkside ability.

The only real bummer is losing dismissing strike. While I do use it a lot, and love it, losing it isn't a dealbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    To be fair though most of the handwraps are Cannith Crafted which can be made unbound if you know somebody with high enough levels the only named ones are from Mabar I think that I can think of so it wouldn't take long to farm out the end game gear. Until then use what you find or can craft with the odd named ones in for good measure (Stone Dust wraps for example).

On a off topic note has anybody done challenges since the Champions were introduced and if so are Champions present in challenges?

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    are Champions present in challenges?
    Pretty sure I have, but not positive.

In any case, all challenges are considered Normal difficulty, so no Champions to worry about.

Pretty sure I have, but not positive.

In any case, all challenges are considered Normal difficulty, so no Champions to worry about.
    You just made my day dude thanks!

Stoner81.

My challenge farmer is a Wiz.

But leveling up a Bard, I jumped into some challenges at lv 14-16 and wow.

I have forgotten about Wiz and Bard is my new ideal challenge class. It's got everything you need.

DDoor, fast movement, self-heal, haste for kobolds, straight DPS, fast CC to get mobs off kobolds or w/e, Disco Ball to protect an area with CC, sound bursts to stun scorps or w/e, you don't have to worry about SP as much as Wiz.

Maybe a PDK. The first fighter life can unlock some stuff, give you a feat, unlock Intimidation which would work great with high CHA, rest Bard (or maybe two fighter lives, IDK)

Edit - just saw this was in the Monk section so sorry for the Bard derail but derailing is kinda what I do. It's my thing.
    Last edited by phillymiket; 01-30-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Edit - just saw this was in the Monk section so sorry for the Bard derail but derailing is kinda what I do. It's my thing.
    You should check out the discussion in this thread. Many of the same posters are involved and we discuss PDK Bards a lot in pages 7-9.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    I have forgotten about Wiz and Bard is my new ideal challenge class. It's got everything you need.

DDoor, fast movement, self-heal, haste for kobolds, straight DPS, fast CC to get mobs off kobolds or w/e, Disco Ball to protect an area with CC, sound bursts to stun scorps or w/e, you don't have to worry about SP as much as Wiz.
    Yep, swashbucklers are rock solid challenge farmers, probably a wash with the monk or maybe even better.

Two advantages monk has over bard are super-short DDoor cooldown (6 seconds, maybe?) and abundant step. Those are both very nice, but also easily done without. Extended haste (for the kobolds) makes up for it, though.

I do have a good reason for going the monk route: When I created this build, swashbuckling didn't exist yet. heh.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Yep, swashbucklers are rock solid challenge farmers, probably a wash with the monk or maybe even better.

Two advantages monk has over bard are super-short DDoor cooldown (6 seconds, maybe?) and abundant step. Those are both very nice, but also easily done without. Extended haste (for the kobolds) makes up for it, though.

I do have a good reason for going the monk route: When I created this build, swashbuckling didn't exist yet. heh.

/tongue in cheek:

A likely story!! Lolz! Bahahahah! :P! ! !

I kid, I kid! !

Keep up the great work/theory crafting guys, always great to read & very interesting, maybe 1 day I'll consider coming back to DDO!

Cheers!
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

I updated the build in the OP to the new output format.

Everything is the same, though I did re-order the feats to support Past Life: Monk if you have that option. If not, toughness, same as it ever was.

Still looking in to gear but so far can't find anything better than what is posted in post #73:

Body: ML15/16 Tier 3 Frozen Tunic (Lesser Freezing Ice, Fire Shield (Cold), Enhanced Ki +1, Craftable +3).
    Waist: Elite Arkat's Cord (Vitality +20, Reinforced Fists, Yellow Augment Slot w/ Deathblock)
    Gloves: ML16 Tier 3 Brawling Gloves (Strength +6, Spike Studded, Glass Jaw Strike, Sneak Attack Bonus +4)
    Head: Cove Hat (Superior False Life +40, Kobold Haste and Concentration +15).
    Wrists: ML15/16 Tier 3 Bracers of Wind (Blurry, Dodge Bonus 3%, Air Guard, Craftable +3)
    Ring: ML15/16 Ring of the Stalker (Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +2, Seeker +4, Manslayer, Ethereal, Craftable +3).
    Trinket: Devotion +48 & Good Luck 2
    Eyes: Green Steel 45HP ConOp (+6 Wisdom).
    Neck: Constitution +6 of Resistance +X (crafted).
    Back: Cloak of Invisibility w/ Heavy Fort slotted.
    Ring: Dexterity +6 of <something>

Stoner81.
    I have about half the above gear:
    Body: ML15/16 Tier 3 Frozen Tunic (Lesser Freezing Ice, Fire Shield (Cold), Enhanced Ki +1, Craftable +3).
    Waist: Elite Arkat's Cord (Vitality +20, Reinforced Fists, Yellow Augment Slot w/ Deathblock)
    Gloves: ML16 Tier 3 Brawling Gloves (Strength +6, Spike Studded, Glass Jaw Strike, Sneak Attack Bonus +4)
    Head: Cove Hat (Superior False Life +40, Kobold Haste and Concentration +15).
    Wrists: ML15/16 Tier 3 Bracers of Wind (Blurry, Dodge Bonus 3%, Air Guard, Craftable +3)
    Ring: ML15/16 Ring of the Stalker (Exceptional Sneak Attack Bonus +2, Seeker +4, Manslayer, Ethereal, Craftable +3: Crafted Feather Falling).
    Trinket: Greater Bold Trinket
    Eyes: Goggles of Time Sensing
    Neck: Deadly 5 (green slot: Heavy Fortification).
    Back: Iron Cloak of the Bear (Sheltering +3, Protection +5, Insightful Combat Mastery +4, Incite +20%)
    Ring: Ring of Troll's Regeneration (Regeneration 1/minute, green slot: Resistance +5)
    Feet: Cannith Crafted Constitution +6 boots of Melee Alacrity 10%

I also have a very old belt with a 3/rest Invisibility clickie, ML: 11 that she carries at all times, a Ring of the Ancestors (raise dead 1/rest), a Heal+resto Flask of Rum, and a good selection of hand wraps. I mostly use either Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps or Cannith Crafted +2 Holy of Vampirism. I like the latter when I need a little more healing or I don't want to run in Mountain stance.

She doesn't have a better trinket. I flagged her for the Shroud, so once I get a spare small shard I'll craft one for her. Also, she doesn't have better goggles, they're a placeholder for greensteel and I use them for the Haste clickie. The regen ring is purely for the green slot.

A few questions/thoughts:

1) Any point in getting the Cloak of Invisibility for her? It seems like a downgrade from what she has given her invisibility belt. But, Ghostly on the cloak may be worth a loss of DPS. It's proving a PITA to farm as I don't have VIP and I didn't run it at level. This means I solo farm it on normal (worse drop rate).

2) I love running the Shroud. Would it strengthen her gear if I farmed two greensteel acessories for her? I was thinking Smoke bracers and Con-Op goggles. One hit points and one...dunno (I'd have to check the other options). Would smoke bracers be a better choice than bracers of wind or am I better off with just a gs displace clickie?

3) I have a blank ring with a green slot. What am I missing (what would be good to craft into the ring)? Wisdom will come with her greensteel.

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    1) Any point in getting the Cloak of Invisibility for her? It seems like a downgrade from what she has given her invisibility belt. But, Ghostly on the cloak may be worth a loss of DPS. It's proving a PITA to farm as I don't have VIP and I didn't run it at level. This means I solo farm it on normal (worse drop rate).
    Ghostly is very strong defensively. I consider it one of the clear no-brainer choices, but that is only after I made peace with the (tough to swallow) decision to essentially dump my stunning fist DC. My stunning fist is still effective on casters, which is nice, but pretty much only on casters.

HOWEVER, if you go with the alternate enhancement load-out that gets you 25% incorporeal, the named Cloak of Invisibility gets you nothing but a green slot.

2) I love running the Shroud. Would it strengthen her gear if I farmed two greensteel acessories for her? I was thinking Smoke bracers and Con-Op goggles. One hit points and one...dunno (I'd have to check the other options). Would smoke bracers be a better choice than bracers of wind or am I better off with just a gs displace clickie?
    With so many core abilities to fit in there really isn't room for two greensteel items.

For you, with your gear list as stated, my recommendation would be smoke bracers to neatly take the place of the bracers of wind. Same blur effect so no disruption in your gear, plus 45 hp and a displacement clickie. ConcOp isn't that great for the build other than the wisdom +6, which can be crafted on a ring with augment slots.

3) I have a blank ring with a green slot. What am I missing (what would be good to craft into the ring)? Wisdom will come with her greensteel.
    Maybe Dex +6?

the only named ones are from Mabar I think that I can think of so it wouldn't take long to farm out the end game gear.
    Since Mabar no longer exists is there anything even remotely as good as the Wraps of Endless Night? The only thing I can think of is a triple positive quarterstaff which is a totally different combat style/type, I can't think of any other wraps that are as good for me though this isn't an issue since I got my set ages ago but for new folks it does present a problem.

ConcOp isn't that great for the build other than the wisdom +6, which can be crafted on a ring with augment slots.
    Actually maybe it could be worth it? If you do a fully fledged ConOP item you can get STR and WIS +6 along with +100 Heal Amp which is huge for Healing Ki, vamp wraps and even pots to some extent. Fitting 2 of the main stats needed is pretty big, now I must confess I don't know if this can be done on an item but I know it can be done on weapons so I am "assuming" it can be done with accessories.

Stoner81.

Actually maybe it could be worth it? If you do a fully fledged ConOP item you can get STR and WIS +6 along with +100 Heal Amp
    Both strength and healing amp are weapon only; neither can be placed on an accessory.

Community Member

hi Ellisdee, have you considered a different class now with the changes up to U27? I figured the main reason for monk was the movement speed coupled with all around survivability, but I have found with almost all challenges that I prefer having a ranged toon. Only Rushmores would I prefer a melee, and that is just for breaking stuff; the eveningstar ones are much easier with ranged toons.

I would suggest 13 rogue mechanic/1 barbarian/2 arti. It would need maybe a +2 or so Dex tome for IPS at level 15 (unless level ups go there instead of INT) but it could use acrobat staff for rare melee situations and breakables. Barb adds 10% movement speed, 13 rogue in acrobat tree adds another 13% (so at 23% you are pretty close to monk's 25%). It then gains all the good stuff of mechanic great xbow and repeating crossbows, also improved evasion, wand and scroll mastery (for heal scrolls).
    Given that most of the challenges involve protection efforts, sneak attack damage is very useful; along with ranged attacks, coupled with improved web traps, this would be a really handy build. The lockpicking/traps are only useful in two spots in Rushmore although the build could help guildies in other ways like you suggest in the Crucible (and have better skills due to 13 rogue) for the dialogue options and any quest in which some trapping might boost xp and survivability at that level range (maybe Col Chamber). Ranged attacks make taking out the bosses in the challenges much easier, especially the Marilith. Also has 35% fort bypass, even more if one gets one of the nice named repeaters. Knockdown on 19-20 on great xbow further aids in protection quests.

Just thinking out loud--the one you have here is obviously well-developed and very well geared, no need to change--just that if I were starting anew, and as a new player, I think I might go with the 13/2/1 split.

challenge farmer
    13/2/1 Rogue/Artificer/Barbarian
    True Neutral Human

Level Order

1. Rogue 6. Rogue 11. Rogue 16. Rogue
    2. Barbarian 7. Rogue 12. Rogue
    3. Artificer 8. Rogue 13. Rogue
    4. Artificer 9. Rogue 14. Rogue
    5. Rogue 10. Rogue 15. Rogue

Stats
    36pt Tome Level Up
    ---- ---- --------
    Strength 9 4: INT
    Dexterity 16 +2 8: INT
    Constitution 15 12: DEX
    Intelligence 18 16: INT
    Wisdom 9 20: INT
    Charisma 8 24: INT
    28: INT

Feats

1 : Point Blank Shot
    1 Human : Least Dragonmark: Passage
    3 : Rapid Shot
    6 : Precise Shot
    9 : Precision
    12 : Improved Critical: Ranged
    13 Rogue : Improved Evasion
    15 : Improved Precise Shot
    16 Rogue : Opportunist

autogranted: rapid reload, rune arm, etc.
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Both strength and healing amp are weapon only; neither can be placed on an accessory.
    Aww man that just rained on my parade oh well...

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    have you considered a different class now with the changes up to U27?
    No, but only because of inertia. The crossbow rogue variant sounds like it would be good. Also note that a bard swashbuckler would be very strong as well.

acrobat staff for rare melee situations and breakables
    For breakables, just grab a cacophonic verge from claw of vulkoor and you're good to go: Endless sonic blast. (50 uses/rest, recharge 1 every 3 seconds) Since it's a wand it has no ASF, which doesn't matter for your rogue/artie/barb concept but is super nice for heavy armor builds with UMD. (Like my cleric.)

Ranged attacks make taking out the bosses in the challenges much easier, especially the Marilith. Also has 35% fort bypass, even more if one gets one of the nice named repeaters. Knockdown on 19-20 on great xbow further aids in protection quests.
    The fort bypass is sweet, no doubt. I don't consider the marilith an issue for the monk, though. For example, see this CR20 run where I don't even bother to heal up before or during the 18-second fight, and then afterward I only use a single finishing move to (not fully) recover health.

Just thinking out loud--the one you have here is obviously well-developed and very well geared, no need to change--just that if I were starting anew, and as a new player, I think I might go with the 13/2/1 split.
    Yep, it's a great choice. If it were me starting new, I would definitely choose non-spellcaster to avoid dealing with shrine issues, but after that I would gravitate toward the one that has a fighting style I don't use on a normal character. If you don't have an unarmed monk alt, unarmed monk is attractive. If you don't have a crossbow user, your mechanic concept is appealing. If you don't have a SWF character, a swashbuckler would be nice.

Community Member

I know this in the monk forum, but I've found the following a really good build as a challenge farmer recently:

True Neutral PDK
    Ftr 4 / Barb 1 / Warlock 11
    Level Up order FBWWFFFWWWWWWWWW

Str 13
    Dex 8
    Con 16
    Int 12
    Wis 8
    Cha 17 +lvl ups

Max ranks in UMD, Spellcraft, Intimidate and Jump

Feats:
    1 - Lightning Reflexes
    1 - (PDK bonus) Force of Personality
    1 - (Ftr bonus) Power Attack
    3 - Empower
    3 - Great Old One pact (gives Knock spell for doors in Rushmore's mansion)
    5 - (Ftr bonus) Shield Mastery
    6 - Maximise
    7 - (Ftr bonus) Improved Shield Bash
    9 - Quicken
    12 - Imp. Crit Slashing
    15 - Improved Shield Mastery

Enhancements:

PDK - 3 - Spell power Boost & Cha to hit / damage
    StD - 24 - Durable / Inciting / Resilient / Hardy / Tenacious / Swift defense
    ES - 37 - aura stance, both bursts, shining through, hireling boosts for when you need them to (hopefully) protect kobolds

Speed is excellent from StD and the Barb level. Most things in heroic challenges die from the initial eldritch burst / spirit blast - even with no spell power items equipped.
    Warlock spells include DDoor, Invis and displacement - also some CC with entangle / evard's if needed.

I'm currently just using the PDK starter gear, apart from armour (swapped to a medium armour for lower ASF). Possibly could swap to a Threnalian War Blade with +78 Impulse and Corrosion augments slotted for better bursts, and find somewhere to slot spell agility - but already tearing up the heroic challenges with no problems.

Not much use as a crucible swimmer this one though

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The Iconic Challenge Farmer thread is over here.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011