Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Default Tempest capstone bugged?

So apparently the tempest capstone was tested on Lamania and it was found that the offhand doublestrike chance only had a chance to proc when the mainhand doublestrike went off. This is a pretty significant limitation to the capstone and it would be great to know if this is working on live or not before building a pure tempest.

So did this actually make it to live? Has anyone tested this on live? I'd be very grateful if someone could confirm this or test it. Thanks in advance.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Community Member

I've just LRed a lvl25 ranger and after taking 41 points of tempest, 7 points worth of enhancement became greyed out again and show no points spent despite the total of 41 including them. The 5th core ability is grey but the capstone is coloured. The 1st dexterity is greyed out, but the second is coloured (even though the first is a prerequisite for the second). The last two whirling blades are greyed out and show no points spent despite having been purchased.

I've heard this has happened to some racial tree too
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Strange. I respecced my Tempest on Monday night, and I had none of the problems donblas mentioned. There were no "greyed out" enhancements (other than the ones that should have been anyway, I mean. Enhancements I didnt take the prereqs for or whatever). Everything went off without a hitch.

Can't say one way or another about the capstone, my Tempest has 2 rogue splash levels, so no Capstone for him.

Been reading in game and here though, ever since the Update, different people are having different problems with the Enhancement system not working the way it should, and with the LR thing bugging out. Seems though that different types of problems affect some, but not others. Like its a random thing.

I've been holding off on LRing any of my characters. The ones I've rebuilt so far, the Ranger, my Rogue, and Fighter, didn't really need the LR anyway, just redoing their enhancements was fine. But I'm gonna have to LR my Wizard, and probably my Druid, to get skill points into those Spellpower-boosting skills, and after all the weird stuff I heard that the LR is doing, I'm really apprehensive about it, till I hear some word that it's been fixed.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    Strange. I respecced my Tempest on Monday night, and I had none of the problems donblas mentioned. There were no "greyed out" enhancements (other than the ones that should have been anyway, I mean. Enhancements I didnt take the prereqs for or whatever). Everything went off without a hitch.

Can't say one way or another about the capstone, my Tempest has 2 rogue splash levels, so no Capstone for him.

Been reading in game and here though, ever since the Update, different people are having different problems with the Enhancement system not working the way it should, and with the LR thing bugging out. Seems though that different types of problems affect some, but not others. Like its a random thing.

I've been holding off on LRing any of my characters. The ones I've rebuilt so far, the Ranger, my Rogue, and Fighter, didn't really need the LR anyway, just redoing their enhancements was fine. But I'm gonna have to LR my Wizard, and probably my Druid, to get skill points into those Spellpower-boosting skills, and after all the weird stuff I heard that the LR is doing, I'm really apprehensive about it, till I hear some word that it's been fixed.
    I don't know. I've LR'd 9 characters now and not had a single problem. 7 are pure-classed, while two are triple-classed. Granted, I have not used a heart of wood on any of them, just the free LR they all had.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I don't know. I've LR'd 9 characters now and not had a single problem. 7 are pure-classed, while two are triple-classed. Granted, I have not used a heart of wood on any of them, just the free LR they all had.
    Maybe the LR +20 Heart is the...errr...."heart" of the problems people are having, then. I didn't even know till just recently that each toon gets a free LR. So maybe I'll just go that route, cause my Ranger was my only multi-class toon, and I don't even need to LR him.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

I used the old free LR, not the LR+20 thing.

It's weird that some of the enhancements which are now grey and listed as 0/1 (and which I did take and are part of the 41 points shown as having been spent in tempest) are prerequisites for others - like the first dexterity (the second one is shown as taken), and the second to last core ability (when the capstone is shown as taken).

Someone else has something similar with drow racials

https://www.ddo.com/forums/newreply....5800&noquote=1
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

I'm sorry for those who are having problems with the new enhancement system.

But has anyone tested the tempest capstone on live? Does offhand doublestrike chance only proc when mainhand doublestrike goes off?

A word from the devs on this would be fantastic. Was this bug fixed before going to live?
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Community Member

Default Haddock

Something seems a bit fishy to me here. I've just TR'd into a Tempest and I'd looked at the capstone and it didn't seem right. Why grant a double strike chance to offhand attacks and ignore main hand attacks?

So, courtesy of Google, I've just done some grepping through the murky past of the forums, and found this thread, in which a number of people firmly state that Double Strike only works on main hand attacks and does not work on off hand attacks at all.

Now admittedly that thread is two years old, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not aware of any changes being made to the mechanics of two weapon fighting since then.

So, based on this (quite possibly flimsy) evidence and a dose of conjecture, I'd reckon that it is in the description of the Tempest capstone where the bug lies, not the capstone itself, and it should read:

Dervish: You gain +2 Dexterity. You now have a +25% chance to doublestrike with your main-hand when dual wielding

Edit: I've also just found this extra bit of evidence:

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    We’re also considering introducing a new mechanic to replace some speed bonus effects, called double strike:

A character with a double strike chance has a chance to make an additional attack roll with their main hand weapon any time they make a main hand attack, on the target of the first attack. (Note that two handed weapons count as “in the main hand” for these purposes.)
    Last edited by gypsythief; 08-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsythief View Post
    Something seems a bit fishy to me here. I've just TR'd into a Tempest and I'd looked at the capstone and it didn't seem right. Why grant a double strike chance to offhand attacks and ignore main hand attacks?

So, courtesy of Google, I've just done some grepping through the murky past of the forums, and found this thread, in which a number of people firmly state that Double Strike only works on main hand attacks and does not work on off hand attacks at all.

Now admittedly that thread is two years old, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not aware of any changes being made to the mechanics of two weapon fighting since then.

So, based on this (quite possibly flimsy) evidence and a dose of conjecture, I'd reckon that it is in the description of the Tempest capstone where the bug lies, not the capstone itself, and it should read:

Dervish: You gain +2 Dexterity. You now have a +25% chance to doublestrike with your main-hand when dual wielding

Edit: I've also just found this extra bit of evidence:
    Thanks for the info gypsythief. You are correct in that it was the case that doublestrike used to only apply to the mainhand. This seems to be changing however. There are at least two ways to get offhand doublestrike now: the tempest capstone and the perfect two weapon fighting epic feat.

I agree that it seems a bit odd to be able to get a higher doublestrike chance in the offhand, but since it is described this way in perfect two weapon fighting also, I don't think it is the description that is bugged.

Also, Teh_Troll tested the capstone on Lam and did get offhand doublestrike procs, but only when mainhand doublestrike went off. He said this was confirmed by devs to be a bug. Since you get less doublestrike chance on the mainhand, this considerably weakens the effectiveness of offhand doublestrikes.

So some testing on live is required to verify this. Someone with perfect two weapon fighting could test it as well. We just need verification that offhand doublestrikes are proccing without the mainhand doublestrikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Thanks ...

So some testing on live is required to verify this. Someone with perfect two weapon fighting could test it as well. We just need verification that offhand doublestrikes are proccing without the mainhand doublestrikes.
    I would also like to hear the results of testing on live to see if this is indeed broken or not on live.