Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GavinPage View Post
    From memory I had 990 points and now I have 965. Not a big loss. I was just a bit surprised to learn that the Elfs got the +100 SP Arcanum bonus and the Drow didn't.
    Well, now that elves also have that Feywild Tap to give back (at high levels and tier 3) ~200 temp SP five times per rest as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    How is it so ridiculous?

I mean, the "grammar nazi" thing doesn't affect me one way or the other. In fact, I sort of take it as a compliment. At least they're recognizing the fact that I'm a well-spoken (or well-written, in this case) individual who knows how to spell and use grammar correctly, and is not too lazy to actually do it. I mean, come on! How hard is it, really?

I do however see the other side of the coin. The poster in question (or, for that matter, someone else who attempts to get people to write like they're not morons) may be someone of Jewish, or German, descent, who takes very strong exception to being tagged as a "Nazi" of any kind, and with good reason.
    Just want to point out that making comments about someones grammar is against the forum rules. If that person were to report you, you could actually receive an infraction. Don't ask how i know this.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Yes. Really!

The Fact that you can't understand this concept beggars belief.

From this point on I will be reporting every instance of said phrase I come across until the Devs do something about it.

Thank you and good night.
    Instead of choking the report queue, why don't you squelch individuals if they offend you so much? If you're seriously that worked up, hit "ignore" and stop waiting for others to police your existence for you.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Us "Grammar Nazis" might be one of the only things keeping this country (the U.S.) from completely turning into a nation of illiterate morons who can't spell or write correctly. It seems to be getting worse by the week.
    If you were a true student of grammar, you would know there is no such thing as a correct grammar, especially for the US English based language. This coming from a person who has taken too many English/Reading classes and have more to take

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Just want to point out that making comments about someones grammar is against the forum rules. If that person were to report you, you could actually receive an infraction. Don't ask how i know this.
    Referring to someone as a "Nazi" could also be construed as hate speech, and I'm pretty sure that'd be against the forum rules as well.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Referring to someone as a "Nazi" could also be construed as hate speech, and I'm pretty sure that'd be against the forum rules as well.
    Apparently true, since the quoted post no longer appears in this thread. What i'm saying is that it's one of those things that is only likely to acted on if there is a complaint. Basically someone willing to press charges.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Apparently true, since the quoted post no longer appears in this thread. What i'm saying is that it's one of those things that is only likely to acted on if there is a complaint. Basically someone willing to press charges.
    I get it. I just don't get why people get so upset over having their spelling or grammar corrected. I mean, some people take it too far with the correcting....if it's an obvious typo, they just hit the wrong key, leave it alone. BUt if someone's repeatedly spelling the same thing wrong....

I mean...what are they thinking when they see the post from the "eeeee-veeel grammar nazi"...

"OMG someone wants me to learn something!!! Oh HAAAAAAY-ell no!!! Oh no, you did not just go there!" (swivel neck and raise hand)
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

I get it. I just don't get why people get so upset over having their spelling or grammar corrected. I mean, some people take it too far with the correcting....if it's an obvious typo, they just hit the wrong key, leave it alone. BUt if someone's repeatedly spelling the same thing wrong....

I mean...what are they thinking when they see the post from the "eeeee-veeel grammar nazi"...

"OMG someone wants me to learn something!!! Oh HAAAAAAY-ell no!!! Oh no, you did not just go there!" (swivel neck and raise hand)
    They complain because it is almost always condescending. Be honest, do you really give a rat's behind about whether that person uses proper grammar or not, or are you really just trying to get their goat?

In this case the "grammar Nazi" was made fun of because of the fact that writing it "elfs" is acceptable, just not common. And the OP never wrote "Drows". So it's the turn of the "grammar Nazi" to learn something.

As far as the term "Nazi" is concerned, it has far less to do with the Seinfeld episode (since the term "X Nazi" has been around long before it) and far more with the fact that Nazism is a form of Fascism. And Fascism is known as an unbending and over-bearing doctrine. And of course Nazism is an extreme form of Fascism and very much considered the epitome of inflexible and close-minded ideals.

Since a living language is flexible and spelling is a rather fluid thing, any attempt to really "govern" how someone "spells/writes" is often viewed as an over-bearing attitude.

If spelling wasn't fluid and dictated by the times and we were still expected to write like Ye Olde English, we'd be spelling a whole lot different.

But in this case, anyway, the one who corrected was in fact wrong. So hopefully he learned something himself .

Us "Grammar Nazis" might be one of the only things keeping this country (the U.S.) from completely turning into a nation of illiterate morons who can't spell or write correctly. It seems to be getting worse by the week.
    R U mAd 7h@ 1 D0'n7 Wr173 az W3LL Az U?

Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    ... Since a living language is flexible and spelling is a rather fluid thing, any attempt to really "govern" how someone "spells/writes" is often viewed as an over-bearing attitude.

If spelling wasn't fluid and dictated by the times and we were still expected to write like Ye Olde English, we'd be spelling a whole lot different. ...
    This.

But on the other hand, I think it's reasonable to expect the standard grammar and spelling conventions of the time to be adhered to, depending on the context. If someone is texting me and they spell out everything in full ... I consider that quaint and amusing (yes, mum, I'm thinking of you). If I'm taking part in a play by post roleplay game and someone is writing '4' instead of 'for', I will be annoyed.

On a discussion forum for a MMORPG? As long as the meaning is clear (and yes, that can be helped by the use of punctuation, paragraphing and reasonable spelling ability), I really can't get too worked up about errors here and there.

This is a discussion forum for a game. If someone's post is not intelligible, they will realise this by either the lack of replies to it, or a misunderstanding of any point they wished to make. There really is no need to correct their grammar.

Generally speaking, people who put little thought and effort into the presentation of their ideas also put little thought and effort into the ideas themselves.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Yes. Really!

The Fact that you can't understand this concept beggars belief.

From this point on I will be reporting every instance of said phrase I come across until the Devs do something about it.

Thank you and good night.
    Thank you! Finally, someone standing up for the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Its pretty sad sometimes when people from other countries spell better and English is their 2nd language.
    Its not uncommon that someone who learns a language as a second language will speak it more properly, as well as write it at a higher level, especially when they acquired the language through studying scholastically - when comparing to someone who learned natively who may not be at the same level of education.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Hahaha. Well done. I was going to look for a subtle way to throw some jabs at you after what seemed like an obnoxious comment, but then I noticed that you wrote "Us Grammar Nazis" instead of "We Grammar Nazis" and realized you were being facetious. I almost didn't catch the joke.

Community Member

Default doubtful

How about working to keep the US from advancing its fascist agenda instead? The Nazis had nothing on Police State USA's spying and prison industrial complex. Spelling is the least of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinPage View Post
    From memory I had 990 points and now I have 965. Not a big loss. I was just a bit surprised to learn that the Elfs got the +100 SP Arcanum bonus and the Drow didn't.
    Afaik elven arcanum was elf exclusive also pre update.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Generally speaking, people who put little thought and effort into the presentation of their ideas also put little thought and effort into the ideas themselves.
    Sure, but that has nothing to do with the OP. He wrote his concerns quite clearly. Someone just decided to nitpick his use of "elfs" instead of "elves", not realizing that technically the OP is correct in his usage, even if it is an uncommon usage. I poked lighthearted fun at him the guy correcting a fanciful word like "elfs", then someone else brought up "grammar nazi's" and this being the internet, it got sidetracked right quick. Amirite?

Community Member

Hilarious, being offended by that term and then resorting to quasi-authoritarian regulation of speech. Oh Britannia, what has become of you, nevermind decades of ridiculing Nazis being a mainstay of british comedy.

As a German I have to smirk how you use that evil noun to describe an accurate instructive person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast