Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Question Aspect of Sundering OOze?

I can't remember who told me about this, (so sorry if you read this, but do remind me it was you -Pyrolater), but there was a guy telling me that the Green Steel Aspect of Sundering Ooze was brilliant for repeaters, as mobs you hit from afar have to deal with the uses and won't really come after you as they agro on the Ooze. (Or is that Oozes? In this context, is/are Ooze a countable noun?)

It sounds amusing and, naturally, I'm curious about this and would like to hear if anyone has had any experience.

Usually, I'd want a weapon that could have a DR breaker, like Holy or Good Burst/Blast and if I can have that, I want something that can be a casting implement (as an Artie: Magnetism, ya know?).

However, Aspect of Ooze only has options to supplement/absorb acid/cold, or has Acid/Frost Burst/Blast.
    I guess Corrosion/Glaciation would be good paired with the Acid/Cold rune arms respectively...
    Alternatively it offers Stat buffs to Wis, Con, & Str both normal and Insightful, or the AC Insight bonuses.

I don't like Con on a weapon, because I swap them out too much. Str isn't terribly important to an Artie, but Wis helps with the Spot skill (which everyone poohs-poohs, I know, but remembering every trap isn't my style and takes away from the "adventurer" stereotype, IMHO), as well as helping with Listen (which I tend to dump) and Heal (which seems more important now).

As I have so many repeaters, it's possible I'll TR into Helves to take the Artie Dilly whenever practical or practicable. So it could be useful to a Sorc/Wizzy or even a pure caster Druid (or Wis based for a Druid or Cleric).

I guess what I'm asking - in a long winded way - is if this weapon really procs enough to be useful, or if it's interesting enough to bother with for and Artificer?

I don't remember Sundering Ooze on a Dragontouched Docent proccing very on my mechanical mutt. But with the Repeater's high rate of fire, it should proc more often (although I've always suspected critical procs might be slightly nerfed on repeaters).

20-30% is what? a roll of 18-20? or 17-20?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    20-30% is what? a roll of 18-20? or 17-20?
    I can't comment on the rest, but a simple way is to divide it by 5. (seeming weapon crit% is in d20)
    So, 20%-30% becomes 4-6.
    Now, counting down from 20, we get: 20, 19, 18, 17.
    So, 20% will be 17-20.
    30% will be 15-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I can't comment on the rest, but a simple way is to divide it by 5. (seeming weapon crit% is in d20)
    So, 20%-30% becomes 4-6.
    Now, counting down from 20, we get: 20, 19, 18, 17.
    So, 20% will be 17-20.
    30% will be 15-20.
    Ah, thanks, my mind has always been lazy for maths. I'm sure it's a sin.

So...
    If each bolt from my repeater had a chance to crit, I should be assured that I get an Ooze every 3rd or 4th time I pull the trigger. Well, not on that pull, but within 3-4 pulls of the trigger I should get one. That's if repeaters really do work that way.

And along that line of thinking, does the Aspect of Ooze really work as advertised?

Ah, thanks, my mind has always been lazy for maths. I'm sure it's a sin.

So...
    If each bolt from my repeater had a chance to crit, I should be assured that I get an Ooze every 3rd or 4th time I pull the trigger. Well, not on that pull, but within 3-4 pulls of the trigger I should get one. That's if repeaters really do work that way.
    It's not a sin to be lazy at maths. It's a cosine! (okay, it's not, and my humour sucks. Shush you!)

Probability... Uck. I forgot this for a reason.
    Going off 20% chance, you get 3 bolts per attack. Or, 12 bolts per 4 attacks.

Each bolt has a 0.2 chance of a crit. (20%)
    Or, a 0.8 chance of not rolling a crit. (80%)

So, if highschool paid off, the chance of critting with 12 bolts will be: 1-0.8^12
    Which is 0.931, or 93.1%. I think. Alas, I hate probability. But it looks right.

However, I'll now step out, having given you bad math. Never used Aspect of Ooze for a reason :P

*Note. That is a 93.1% chance (I think!) over 12 bolts, or 4 attacks.

Can't tell you what the arti life is like but I take it that the oozes function in the same way as your dog does.
    Eg it takes the agro away from you.
    A dog and oozes could make a nice combo as the oozes can't slip on grease.

As far as the oozes: they're great on a rogue to take the agro and the sundering ooze is great to bypass fort, so more sneaks land.
    Combine it with more stuff to bypass fort from enhancements and epic destinies and you have yourself a winner.
    (In epic content a rogue with focus on bypassing fort is able to land sneaks on just about anything.)

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

I fear you are incorrect on the procing rate of the ooze itself.

Sundering Ooze has 2 effects

The first one procs at 25% and is an effect similar to sundering armor -5 AC DC40 Fort save.

The Ooze summon has only a 1% chance to appear per attack similar to things like desintegration etc....
    You can get this information on the greensteel crafting planner too

Aspect of Ooze II
    On-hit 20~30% chance to cast Ooze Sunder and 1% chance to summon CR12 Black Pudding

If that is enough on a repeater you have to test for yourself
    Last edited by Dunklerlindwurm; 08-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Ah, now there's the interesting bits. Thanks all.

I was looking at the crafting planner, and did not read the "On-hit 20~30% chance to cast Ooze Sunder and 1% chance to summon CR12 Black Pudding" part adequately.

So it's probably going to be more useful than the Aspect of Vacuum, for sure. But not as many Oozes as would make me happy.

I can't remember who told me about this, (so sorry if you read this, but do remind me it was you -Pyrolater), but there was a guy telling me that the Green Steel Aspect of Sundering Ooze was brilliant for repeaters, as mobs you hit from afar have to deal with the uses and won't really come after you as they agro on the Ooze. (Or is that Oozes? In this context, is/are Ooze a countable noun?)
    Probably me: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...uid-Past-Lifes (post #6)
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Were we in a really long wait for a shroud in G-land?

Thanks for the forum link. Interesting video.

So, it seems like you need something with an extremely high rate of fire, or a monk.

Community Member

Also keep in mind a CR12 Ooze isn't going to be a very good tank. In a couple levels, anything even just in Hard is going to be one-shotting them. Plus, since you have to actually HIT the monster to generate oozes in the first place (thus creating hate), will they actually be able to pull aggro from you with their slow, weak, low-to-hit attacks?

Also, 1% to-hit per bolt means you're only going to spawn at least one ooze about once in every 33 triplets - and if each ooze is only absorbing one or two attacks before it dies, that's not very effective.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Also keep in mind a CR12 Ooze isn't going to be a very good tank. In a couple levels, anything even just in Hard is going to be one-shotting them. Plus, since you have to actually HIT the monster to generate oozes in the first place (thus creating hate), will they actually be able to pull aggro from you with their slow, weak, low-to-hit attacks?

Also, 1% to-hit per bolt means you're only going to spawn at least one ooze about once in every 33 triplets - and if each ooze is only absorbing one or two attacks before it dies, that's not very effective.
    Ok i got an ooze II rapier on my bard so i ll give you my 2 cents

Pros

First of all ooze dont die in 2 hits they have like over 800hp.if you dont believe me
    Summon 1 in invaders run up to a beholder and whack it a few times and see that its
    Very durable.

Its a great debuff weapon that stacks with all other debuffs.The edebuff is pretty long 24 seconds
    If i remember correctly could be 21 too

I used to have a debuff bard with

Destruction,imp destruction,and ooze II,and roaring its really fun a d was really
    Helpfull back then now not so much.

You can bug bosses with ooze so they float on a carpet of ooze and dont atk anymore.

Its always fun to hear in party chat to hear about the oozes

Nice spawn animation

Cons

Double shard hefty price

Proc very much based on luck my record is 7 im pretty sure its not capped.

Only stays with you for 5 minutes

Slow move and atk wise

Acid based damage pretty sure

If its worth it its up to you. Pure dps wise its total **** imo. The clicky
    Isnt very usefull either and there probably no cool glow on it eitther
    So it ll look like a blank.

But even so i like it if you already got your lit II and or your triple positive
    I d say why not. Pretty sure i put cold absorb on mine and plus two con and plus 1 str
    I rather have stats on it than some acid damage on a weapon with hardly any dps