Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,374

    Default Is keen edge brokeded still?

    Right now in the kensei tree keen edge requires the weapon specialization box below it to be taken.

    The problem is that box's requirement is greater weapon focus. Now keen edge says you need lv 6 fighter to take cause it's the top tier of the tree.

    However the feat greater weapon focus requires you to be a lv 8 fighter to take it.

    So did they change the feat requirements and not fix wiki? Or is the tree just messed up and you actually need to be lv 8 to take some of the top tier stuff in the kensei tree?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  2. #2
    2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Given that it's at the top of the tree, I should hope you'd have to be at least out of marketplace quests to get that far up.

    Why is the kensei tree basically monk-lite now? How many fighters need concentration boosts? It's insulting.

  3. #3
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    what are ya talking about? Im saying as it stands you need to be class lv 8 to take an enhancement in a tree that you would need to be class lv 6
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  4. #4
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    brokeded = broke and dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

  5. #5
    Staggering LightBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Letters of Lingo
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Right now in the kensei tree keen edge requires the weapon specialization box below it to be taken.

    The problem is that box's requirement is greater weapon focus. Now keen edge says you need lv 6 fighter to take cause it's the top tier of the tree.

    However the feat greater weapon focus requires you to be a lv 8 fighter to take it.

    So did they change the feat requirements and not fix wiki? Or is the tree just messed up and you actually need to be lv 8 to take some of the top tier stuff in the kensei tree?
    I think that the www.ddowiki.com still has old information or are you referring to some other wiki?
    Isn't the top tier enhancements level 18?

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Right now in the kensei tree keen edge requires the weapon specialization box below it to be taken.

    The problem is that box's requirement is greater weapon focus. Now keen edge says you need lv 6 fighter to take cause it's the top tier of the tree.

    However the feat greater weapon focus requires you to be a lv 8 fighter to take it.

    So did they change the feat requirements and not fix wiki? Or is the tree just messed up and you actually need to be lv 8 to take some of the top tier stuff in the kensei tree?
    Its not "broken", however, you do need level 8 ftr (I.E. GWF) to take keen edge. It works very well for me and if there is something wrong, it is only cosmetical problem - you cant take min lvl 6 enhantement untill you nlock min level 8 enhantement. Kinda trap for new players, however perfectly balanced ability if we take in consideration how powerfull it is. Actually taking it on level 6 would be way to OP

    Edit: also, due to the tier requriements, you annot take top tier ability before you spend 30 ap, which is level 8 anyway. So, nothing wrong with that.

    But, if you are feeling cheated somehow, just bugreport the fact, that the ability is level 6, which is nonsense to begin with, as the tier requirement will never allow that even without the feat requirement.
    Last edited by viktorserak; 08-23-2013 at 03:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    4,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    what are ya talking about? Im saying as it stands you need to be class lv 8 to take an enhancement in a tree that you would need to be class lv 6
    Tier 5 enhancements need you to have 5 class levels, while the Feat pre-req's mostly need you to have character levels. Greater Weapon Focus is one of the few that has the extra class constraint.

    Some enhancements have Feat pre-requisites that have a higher ML than the enhancement itself. They're listed in the PDF in my sig. If you search for FEAT in that, it'll take you through them which also details the "effective ML" for that enhancement.

    Rank 3 in the Tier 2 Human/PDK Two Handed Fighting Style requires Greater Two Handed Fighting so ML 11.

    Tier 3 Mad Munitions in Frenzied Berserker also requires Greater Two Handed Fighting, so ML 11 again.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    what are ya talking about? Im saying as it stands you need to be class lv 8 to take an enhancement in a tree that you would need to be class lv 6
    Sort of silly, yes.

    Oh well, could be just some internal programming issue that doesn't let them to make it minimum level 8 exactly, so better 6 than 12 in that case - right?

    (Sure it's less than optimal that way, but with the other weird bugs and other things I've seen in this game, wouldn't surprise me any.)


    Now, this kind of a requirement would make more sense if it was min character level 8 feat (or a BAB 8+ feat or... well, something that'd let you take it with, say, fighter 6/paladin 2/rogue 1, or some such) but the wiki does seem say it requires 8 levels of fighter specifically.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015 & 2016.

  9. #9
    Community Member Xaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    Given that it's at the top of the tree, I should hope you'd have to be at least out of marketplace quests to get that far up.

    Why is the kensei tree basically monk-lite now? How many fighters need concentration boosts? It's insulting.
    Insulting??

    go look up what kensai is... this version is much closer thematically to what it should have been from its inception. It probably never should have been kensai from the beginning, it should have been more along the lines of weapon master or monger.

    Is it the best thing for the tree when sitting in ddo.. maybe not the best idea out there.... but whoever put it together was trying to make it fit better to its name while keeping what was in place as much as possible.

    You may wish to know a little more about what's going on before you say something is insulting, since there is for sure something insulting about your post, but its not what you thought it was.

  10. #10
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    Im just saying if you need 8 levels of fighter to have it, the damn box should say so. Reason being I near did a LR for a settup and while double checking over all the enhancements and crosschecking the feats from game and ddo wiki I found that I actually needed 8 levels instead of 6 to build toward it.

    Not a big deal, just made the layout 10, 8, 2. but I know id be really ****ed off if I built toward it LR'ing or just standard leveling and then I screwed up cause the damn box was misleading.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  11. #11
    Community Member Moonsickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the void between Light and Shadow
    Posts
    338

    Default

    To take Tier 5 enhancements, you need to be level 12 [ 5 of that class ]... so level 6 feat shouldn't be an issue nor would it at level 8 cause much of a problem.

    Feats like Improved Critical and even GTHF only require a certain BAB... which means to you can eventually get it and a corresponding enhancement will just be later in your build.


    Problem here would occur if you only were planning at least 5 but less than 8 levels of Fighter and needed a feat that required 8 levels of Fighter to get it....

    actually in Tier 4 Weapon Group Specialization requires Greater Weapon Focus which needs 8 levels of Fighter, so there is no way to get that enhancement with 4 levels of Fighter, thus without 8 levels of Fighter minimum you can't get WGS at Tier 4 nor Keen Edge at Tier 5...

    don't think someone totally thought those enhancements out correctly... so would agree with something being wrong here.
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload