Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default pure range ranger

Before u19 I had a pure arcane archer but now I am not so sure that I should even be pure ranger to 20. I like to play all bow nearly all the time so if someone has some advice about how to rebuild by ranger I would love to hear it.

Now being pure ranger is really a good choice. This is because you can take both Arcane Archer AND Deepwood Stalker, moreover DWS is now much better than before

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mezzorco View Post
    Now being pure ranger is really a good choice. This is because you can take both Arcane Archer AND Deepwood Stalker, moreover DWS is now much better than before
    Anyone have a build that shows enhancements across AA and DS?

Quote Originally Posted by mezzorco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shetrone View Post
    Anyone have a build that shows enhancements across AA and DS?
    Yeah I am interested in seeing this also with any comments on the pros/cons of which Races to choose when going Pure Ranger & this route. I ask for knowledge in general but more specifically because my buddy currently has a level 24 Drow-Tempest-Fury 'Exploiter' and was thinking of going pure Ranger via LR and we just learned the Tempest cap-stone is still broken so we are looking at all options... Also one of my Alts is a very old Drow KoTC Paladin that I may LR as well.
    Last edited by Nodoze; 08-23-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Community Member

What i've seen so far:

Illimited Sp: Elven ranger AA gets the very nifty Feywild tap, pretty much extends your sp pool by another 350 temporary spell points on tier 3. Even if you're not elven, with the other temporary sp stuff from AA tree and you'll be doing most quests spamming inferno shots without even resting, as long as you keep doing damage you'll have sp. Also means you can switch imbues around without really worrying about it, plus moonbow also means you can self heal for virtually no sp cost every 30 secs.

1d10 force damage is always usefull for mobs with elemental resists.

Paralizyng arrows + improv precise shot is just brutal ( 26 dc save at tier 3.) on mid levels. Alternativelly terror arrows for the PK effect, but i personally dislike the fear effect.

Metaline/aligned imbues can be usefull if you dont like carrying around extra bows/arrows. Factor in the Elemental effects and paralizyng imbue and you can pretty much just choose a couple of good DPS bows for regular mobs + your every day dispruption/banishing/smiting gear and you'll be sweet.

You'll probably want to hit the other trees as well for things like striding speed clickie, point blank range etc but as far as i can tell from a couple of hours playing AA just got 100% better. Before, you really needed good gear and planning to make it worth DPS wise, now it should be easy to make a good AA even as a first character.

That of course are just my first impressions, will have to see how things go over the next month before i can actually come up with ways to improve the build, splash and gear up. My opinion is though, now you can actually get creative on your build without instantly gimping your archer.

Community Member

Is going all out Ranger worth going skipping 10k stars from Monk? Having a secondary many shot from 10k stars was awesome and essential to any dedicated range build, is that still the case or are there comparable builds now?

Founder

You probably need to mix in repeaters and int damage if you aren't using 10k stars. I believe slayer arrow will triple proc with a repeater from what I read in beta. I'd probably do testing with an iconic first.

Quote Originally Posted by saco View Post
    Is going all out Ranger worth going skipping 10k stars from Monk? Having a secondary many shot from 10k stars was awesome and essential to any dedicated range build, is that still the case or are there comparable builds now?
    I thought they made 10k stars share a timer with Many Shot? At least that was what everyone posted on Lam boards. If this is not the case, I know of a lot of happy people. Then again, I haven't seen 12/6/2 Monkcher builds post U19 in game either

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    I thought they made 10k stars share a timer with Many Shot? At least that was what everyone posted on Lam boards. If this is not the case, I know of a lot of happy people. Then again, I haven't seen 12/6/2 Monkcher builds post U19 in game either
    That sucks. Stopped playing DDO a couple of months ago so out of the loop on bout everything and debating of coming back. Was wondering why there wasn't seeing any Moncher build threads.

That sucks. Stopped playing DDO a couple of months ago so out of the loop on bout everything and debating of coming back. Was wondering why there wasn't seeing any Moncher build threads.
    It has always shared a timer with manyshot, in the respect that you can't use both at once. Unless my monkcher defies Turbine laws.

Ranger has, maybe, too many good things to choose from. All three of the prestige trees offer things that sound like they would be lots of fun to incorporate into a character.

As I understand it, 10k and manyshot are on separate cool downs. From what I've seen elsewhere players can still use manyshot and then, before it finishes its cool down, can switch to 10k. IIRC 10k will cool down fast enough that players can get in 2 rounds before manyshot finishes its cool down. AFAIK they never could be used at the same time but only in series and this, from what I've read, remains the case.

IMO the Deepwood Stalker PrE capstone may be a good reason to remain pure ranger. All shots, regardless of range, count as point blank shots and within sneak attack range.

It seems that two races lend themselves especially well to ranger. Half-elf with rogue dilly might make maximum use of the DS capstone. Elf with the ability to use DEX for damage modifier might make a great choice for range focused rangers.

The problem is the 80 ap limitation. Capstone takes minimum 41 ap. That leaves very little to spread among the other three trees (racial, tempest, arcane archer) and forces very careful planning.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    It has always shared a timer with manyshot, in the respect that you can't use both at once. Unless my monkcher defies Turbine laws.
    Yeah... brain fart. Thought by shared cooldown that they both shared a 2 min cooldown. So it's business as usual.

Now are all req feats for AA pre-U19 no longer applies? Mental toughness and ranged weapon focus? Seem like we got a few more feats free up.

Seem like we got a few more feats free up.
    One more reason to stay pure.

Is going all out Ranger worth going skipping 10k stars from Monk?
    No, it's not. Not at all. The Monkchers are BY FAR the best archers in the game. If you want to pew-pew all the time it's the only strong option.

It's dumb that they are the best archers, but it's not going to change because the Turbine devs love their Pay2Win monks.

For split or mostly melee mostly/pure ranger is still fine. But if you intend on being 100% ranged go Monkcher.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Not true.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by shetrone View Post
    Before u19 I had a pure arcane archer but now I am not so sure that I should even be pure ranger to 20. I like to play all bow nearly all the time so if someone has some advice about how to rebuild by ranger I would love to hear it.
    Before the EP I was a pure Ranger AA, and now I’m guaranteed to stay that way.

Two different imbues for your arrows, a to-hit / damage boost on your bows, additional CC imbues (paralyzing to be exact), DR-breaking imbues…and so on. There is almost no reason to even melee with all of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    There is almost no reason to even melee with all of that stuff.
    I think "doing a bunch more damage" is a good enough reason.

Though with 6000 point slayer arrows every 20 seconds I'm not sure.

No, it's not. Not at all. The Monkchers are BY FAR the best archers in the game. If you want to pew-pew all the time it's the only strong option.

It's dumb that they are the best archers, but it's not going to change because the Turbine devs love their Pay2Win monks.

For split or mostly melee mostly/pure ranger is still fine. But if you intend on being 100% ranged go Monkcher.
    Well I have a 12 fighter 6 monk 2 H-elf druid archer and pure 20 ranger halfling archer. What I like about the halfing is the sneak and deepwood sniper combination. My hide and move silently are above 100 so I can sneak through a lot of quests. Some of the Whelon quests give sneak options. I am in shadowdancer on my ranger and I get a lot of sneak damage and stuff with the combination of deepwood/shadowdancer/halfling. Playstyle is sneak through quest and then where have to fight bust out the manyshot for some burst dps. Stay away from mobs while ranging so take less damage.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

I think "doing a bunch more damage" is a good enough reason.

Though with 6000 point slayer arrows every 20 seconds I'm not sure.
    Is that what FotW Adrenalized Arrows of Slaying look like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast