Lightbulb "Bullseye" - 13/6/1 rog/rgr/ftr

This is a new build I came up with since the recent enhancement update.
    It makes use of the new Deepwood Stalker/Mechanic/Halfling enhancements to create a strikingly effective ranged attack-based rogue.

This build will end up having formidable and long-range SA abilities, all the major archery feats (incl. IPS), bow damage based on int score (thanks to mechanic), access to the majority of Deepwood Stalker's abilities, self-healing, Ram's Might, the ability to melee when needed, imp. evasion, and impressive trapping skills.

This build can be pulled off with any # of build points, and any # of tomes, but I wouldn't call it new user-friendly.

NOTE: the skills should be tweaked to put emphasis on the heal skill, as I believe it affects the healing that the marks do. Also, some of the feats taken later on are definitely flexible. I'm not sure if Max + Emp metas affect dragonmarks, but I went under the assumption that they do for this build. Feel free to dump your str and/or take weapon finesse in this build.

Level 20 Neutral Good Halfling Male
    (1 Fighter / 13 Rogue / 6 Ranger)
    Hit Points: 196
    Spell Points: 50

BAB: 16/16/21/26/26
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Strength 12 12
    Dexterity 16 19
    Constitution 14 14
    Intelligence 16 18
    Wisdom 8 8
    Charisma 8 8

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Base Skills Modified Skills
    Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Balance 6 7
    Bluff 3 22
    Concentration 4 14
    Diplomacy -1 -1
    Disable Device 7 27
    Haggle -1 -1
    Heal 1 3
    Hide 7 31
    Intimidate -1 -1
    Jump 1 3
    Listen -1 1
    Move Silently 7 29
    Open Lock 7 27
    Perform n/a n/a
    Repair 3 4
    Search 7 27
    Spot 3 22
    Swim 1 1
    Tumble 4 5
    Use Magic Device 3 22

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Agility
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Bravery
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Keen Ears
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Luck
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Size Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Thrown Weapon Focus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Trapfinding

Level 2 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
    Feat: (Automatic) Bow Strength
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision
    Feat: (Automatic) Rapid Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 4 (Ranger)
    Ability Raise: DEX
    Feat: (Automatic) Diehard

Level 5 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Automatic) Precise Shot

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favorred Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct
    Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Healing
    Feat: (Automatic) Archer's Focus

Level 7 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Automatic) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Manyshot

Level 8 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Automatic) Evasion

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense

Level 10 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Automatic) Trapmaking
    Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge
    Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge (Dodge Bonus)

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 13 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Precise Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency

Level 14 (Rogue)

Level 15 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Improved Uncanny Dodge

Level 16 (Rogue)
    Ability Raise: INT

Level 17 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 18 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 19 (Rogue)

Level 20 (Rogue)
    Ability Raise: INT
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike

Since obviously the DDO Character Builder hasn't been updated for the new enhancement pass, I'll outline here some of the key enhs to take:

Far Shot (+1 SA die, +5 meters to PBS/SA range)
    Arbalester (+5 meters to PBS/SA range, prof. w/ great xbows)
    Targeting Sights (Uses int for ranged damage and gives prof. with light repeaters)
    Halfling Luck (+1 to all saves)
    Halfling Cunning I (+1 to Bluff and to-hit on SA)
    Halfling Guile x3 (+1 SA die each)
    Dragonmark Focus (extra dragonmarks/rest, + to heal skill)
    Lesser Dragonmark of Healing (Cure Serious Wounds)
    Greater Dragonmark of Healing (Heal)
    Sneak Attack (+1 SA die)
    Called Shot: Sniper Shot (Performs a ranged attack with +2[W], a +4 bonus to-hit, +2 to critical threat range, and +2 to Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: The target will become momentarily confused and rendered vulnerable to sneak attacks for four seconds as if affected by the bluff skill. Cooldown 6 seconds.)
    Wracking Shot (On hit, deal 1d6/3d6/5d6 damage to construct hit, reduces 10% fortification (stacks 5 times), and make them lose sneak attack immunity)

etc, etc.

Because of the targeting sights enhancement, you don't actually use str for bow damage, which means that an interesting variant build involves dumping your str. This WILL make lower levels more painful, I'm sure, but even if you still want to be able to melee, you can still do so by taking weapon finesse and spending a few AP in the assassin tree to make your dex go towards damage instead of str. This way you can even go with 6 base str and only take a hit in encumberance and str skills like swim + jump.

So, tell me what you think!

Community Member

Why GTWF, if melee is an afterthought? Heck, I'd say dump the 1 FGT in favor of 1 DRU, just forget about GTWF, and pick up Beguile 3/3 instead (unless you're too worried it's on deck for a nerfing). You're not planning on using Heavy Armor with an Evasion class, I'm assuming. Plus, 1 DRU would let you take Emp Heal (though I don't know what you'd dump for it; Precision?)

You haven't taken Rapid Reload anywhere - unless its autogranted by Mechanic or something that I'm forgetting? Your INT-to-dmg only works with crossbows, not archery bows (light repeaters in your case), so you'll want RR to up your rate of fire.

SLAs work like the spells they're based on, so you cant Emp or Max your Heal SLA, only Quicken and Emp Heal. The Cure Wounds SLAs you can fully meta.

Did they fix Conjure Bolt scrolls? Any repeater build without Arti 1 is going to have looooots of headaches with ammo, if they havent. Even Deneith 75% Returning bolts don't last very long (a stack of 100 75% bolts runs out in ~400 shots). Considering my Arti runs through ~1-2 stacks of 1000 Conjured bolts in any given quest, you're talking about having to buy 3-5 stacks of Deneith ammo for every quest you run.

Completely dumping STR is a trap, doubly so on a Halfling who has decreased carrying capacity already. Even with a good +str tome, you're too vulnerable to STR debuffs, which tend to be more common and larger than other stat debuffs. And you cant Evade if you're burdened, which would be incredibly easy on a STR-dumped Halfling who's already carrying around 60 lbs of repeaters to swap between.

Lastly, I'd be worried about scaling into Epic...the Halfling SLAs just don't give you enough charges, and your build as you list it cant take Emp Heal to improve Cocoon or Heal SLA.

====

I think I had a train of thought that passed over the same tracks you're on now. I ended up deciding that any repeater-focused build is going to by necessity be 6 Rgr, as you've found, and at least 6 Arti, to get that INT-to-dmg from Insightful Strikes, plus conjure your own bolts, if those scrolls are still busted.

Arti naturally suggests going WF for blue-bar self heals, and going deeper into Arti for higher level spells and better self-heals (though 6 Rgr will preclude Reconstruct, you can still scroll it; Deadly Weapons is also out, but scrollable, except those scrolls are rare).

The last 8 levels after Arti 6/Rgr 6 could also be put into Rogue (Mechanic for more repeater dmg, sneak die, Evasion, Imp. Uncanny Dodge) or Druid (Beguile, Emp Heal, CSW/Vigor for fleshy-race self heals).
    Last edited by droid327; 08-26-2013 at 01:43 AM.