Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubbinns View Post
    Actually good design is very popular generally. So it is safe to say that it is not as a good game and not as well designed because the lack of popularity and innovation when compared to much larger and better selling games out there. But keep urging people to quit playing "your" game, because it clearly doesnt need to grow.- sarcasm end-
    The last time someone tried to equate popularity with quality to me was a 13 year old girl describing to me the musical God that Justin Bieber is. I think I now know everything I need to know about you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    The last time someone tried to equate popularity with quality to me was a 13 year old girl describing to me the musical God that Justin Bieber is. I think I now know everything I need to know about you.
    Yes, that means so much and you are so smart. much smarter than every one who llikes Biebs. I dont need to know any thing about you, nor do i care to. ;D ever. srs, kathxbai!!

Community Member

Actually good design is very popular generally. So it is safe to say that it is not as a good game and not as well designed because the lack of popularity and innovation when compared to much larger and better selling games out there.
    This is like saying that a restaurant with 3 Michelin stars is worse than McDonald's because the latter is much more popular.

DDO is a niche game. It's not intended to appeal to millions of users, and likely never will. That doesn't make it better than those games, nor worse than them. Just different.

I think this whole argument is an example of the fundamental disconnect between people who actually like DDO and enjoy playing it, and those who are trying to "win it". In that, it's like most of the other complaints about "grinding" and "slow XP" and so forth.

I don't find the explorer area a problem because I think it's beautiful and have enjoyed looking through it. Yesterday a guildie and I spent an hour just looking around, seeing what was there. I found myself climbing a mountain that slowly became snow-covered, and ended up fighting a white dragon at the top. It was actually a lot of fun -- but some would view this as "bad" because I only made, oh, 15k XP in that hour.

Some will say "well, you won't find that explorer area so great after you've run to the same quest 50 times". To which I'd respond: "it will take me months to run any quest in there 50 times, so I probably won't get that sick of the explorer area at all". Once again, the problem is the grinding, a problem that is entirely self-imposed.

While there are aspects of DDO where the reward doesn't match the time investment, the larger issue is with people who have gotten so obsessed with XP and levels and gear and past lives that they've stopped playing a game and turned it into a virtual rat race. And really, don't we all have enough of that in the real world?

Community Member

I have trouble understanding why anyone is still responding to him when he is obviously just trolling for a reaction.

Save yourselves the aggravation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    This is like saying that a restaurant with 3 Michelin stars is worse than McDonald's because the latter is much more popular.No, quality dictates that price. No comparison here

DDO is a niche game. It's not intended to appeal to millions of users, and likely never will. That doesn't make it better than those games, nor worse than them. Just different.I agree to disagree. They intended to be successful and want a way to increase revenue like any business. There is a pattern that is laid out by many more financially successful games

I think this whole argument is an example of the fundamental disconnect between people who actually like DDO and enjoy playing it, and those who are trying to "win it". In that, it's like most of the other complaints about "grinding" and "slow XP" and so forth.I just want a mount and a easy guide to the quest. Why am I on the win it side?

I don't find the explorer area a problem because I think it's beautiful and have enjoyed looking through it. Yesterday a guildie and I spent an hour just looking around, seeing what was there. I found myself climbing a mountain that slowly became snow-covered, and ended up fighting a white dragon at the top. It was actually a lot of fun -- but some would view this as "bad" because I only made, oh, 15k XP in that hour.I do not like slow xp gains. The areas are nice to look at and add a ton of flavor. I just want to fly or teleport or spider climb my way there. And a guided route that could be toggled, Like Neverwinter

While there are aspects of DDO where the reward doesn't match the time investment, the larger issue is with people who have gotten so obsessed with XP and levels and gear and past lives that they've stopped playing a game and turned it into a virtual rat race. And really, don't we all have enough of that in the real world?Yes, but precisly why I would like an easier time to get to quests.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgar78 View Post
    I have trouble understanding why anyone is still responding to him when he is obviously just trolling for a reaction.

Save yourselves the aggravation.
    Why am I trolling for responses just because we dont agree?

Community Member

Why am I trolling for responses just because we dont agree?
    I think it would have been better if you said you were trolling... even if it wasn't true.

On topic : I didn't buy the expansion and I would like to know how much time (aprox) does it take to make it to the quest once you've found the fastest route? Like without fighting anything. Is it THAT bad?

Edit: Including the free shortcuts.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 08-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    I think it would have been better if you said you were trolling... even if it wasn't true.

On topic : I didn't buy the expansion and I would like to know how much time (aprox) does it take to make it to the quest once you've found the fastest route? Like without fighting anything. Is it THAT bad?

Edit: Including the free shortcuts.
    Typically 1 minute. Maximum of 3 minutes. I might just fraps it and upload it to prove the point to those still crying for flying pigs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Typically 1 minute. Maximum of 3 minutes. I might just fraps it and upload it to prove the point to those still crying for flying pigs.
    Thanks for the quick answer. Now I understand how all this drama is indeed bs.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

If you could be so kind to post a video guide of you getting to the quests in each large explorer area we have. I would love you long time and be your personal forum slave for like 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    I would love a flying pig to save me 3 minutes from each quest every time. Not trolling at all, clear to see. Why is everyone so against me having a mount, a toggle path guide, a fast travel teleport option?
    Last edited by Rubbinns; 08-23-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    Indeed. I can't wait to see the wiki entry for these once people figure out what the success checks are. Pretty sure I tried the intelligence check with a 51 int and failed that too.
    A guildie with his drow pm had 54 int (if I remember correctly), which was enough.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

If you could be so kind to post a video guide of you getting to the quests in each large explorer area we have. I would love you long time and be your personal forum slave for like 3 months.

I would love a flying pig to save me 3 minutes from each quest every time. Not trolling at all, clear to see. Why is everyone so against me having a mount, a toggle path guide, a fast travel teleport option?
    I normally don't do requests for minions, but here's a link of the 48 seconds it took to get to Lines of Supply. It'll be ready when YouTube has finished uploading and processing.

EDIT: Just to make clear. That's not 48 seconds from the nearest Harper Camp. That's 48 seconds from the Storm Horn loading screen from Eveningstar to having the Lines of Supply quest window open.

Community Member

Yes, but precisly why I would like an easier time to get to quests.
    How is asking for an "easier time" to get to quests any different than asking for the quests themselves to be easier?

If the quests were longer and the explorer area shorter, would you still complain, even though it would make no practical difference?

I find VON5 to be one of the most tedious, boring quests in the game. But I accept that VON5 and VON6 are a pair and go together.

Same thing here.

Community Member

I normally don't do requests for minions, but here's a link of the 48 seconds it took to get to Lines of Supply. It'll be ready when you YouTube has finished uploading it.
    But, I suck and am new and get lost in quests, god help me with explorer areas. How many players do you notice drop because they cant get there, how many do we notice that dont ever join?

Now none if this is your responsibility, but Turbine's.

While you're being kind ;D.. mebbe :

Sands- except wiz king.

Gianthold- cabal for one is my fav clearly for obvious reasons.

Forest- has Lost Thread and Farmhouse that are easy to get to.

Drow City of Portals- name so hard to spell- has almost all of them easy to remember or get to from just looking at wiki map, except Broken Chains.

High Road is easy enough and I enjoy it for that even if the quests drop loot as frequently as a constricted sphincter.

Orchard-most are easy enough from looking at wiki map.

Demonweb- help?

Restless Isles- why is this even like this?

The Subterrane- Raids for tr twink gear ml 9+-ish.

Vale- nope, j/k ;p I like the Vale. All easy to get to and follow path of wiki map. Ritual Sacrifice is probably the hardest of them and it isnt hard compared to the other places.

Community Member

How is asking for an "easier time" to get to quests any different than asking for the quests themselves to be easier?

If the quests were longer and the explorer area shorter, would you still complain, even though it would make no practical difference?

I find VON5 to be one of the most tedious, boring quests in the game. But I accept that VON5 and VON6 are a pair and go together.

Same thing here.
    I think it is not the same as the quest, and if all the quests were longer I would look for other shorter quests unless I enjoyed them.

Also, quests being easier actually has like 4 difficulties?

Not all wilderness areas are vast. Cerulean hills, waterworks, stk, reavers reach, red fens, tangleroot, 3BC, searing heights, high road, are all easy to navigate and get to.

Agreed on Von5, but it is a raid and has a better feel for me. Also the flavor of raiding a huge vault is kinda bad $@#
    Last edited by Rubbinns; 08-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Community Member

I think it is not the same as the quest, and if all the quests were longer I would look for other shorter quests unless I enjoyed them.
    The only meaningful way it's "not the same as the quest" is that it doesn't give as much XP. Your complaints all boil down to not being able to grind efficiently.

Yet these are the highest level quests in the game right now. What is the point in grinding them?
    Last edited by Qaliya; 08-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.

This is like saying that a restaurant with 3 Michelin stars is worse than McDonald's because the latter is much more popular.

DDO is a niche game. It's not intended to appeal to millions of users, and likely never will. That doesn't make it better than those games, nor worse than them. Just different.

I think this whole argument is an example of the fundamental disconnect between people who actually like DDO and enjoy playing it, and those who are trying to "win it". In that, it's like most of the other complaints about "grinding" and "slow XP" and so forth.

I don't find the explorer area a problem because I think it's beautiful and have enjoyed looking through it. Yesterday a guildie and I spent an hour just looking around, seeing what was there. I found myself climbing a mountain that slowly became snow-covered, and ended up fighting a white dragon at the top. It was actually a lot of fun -- but some would view this as "bad" because I only made, oh, 15k XP in that hour.

Some will say "well, you won't find that explorer area so great after you've run to the same quest 50 times". To which I'd respond: "it will take me months to run any quest in there 50 times, so I probably won't get that sick of the explorer area at all". Once again, the problem is the grinding, a problem that is entirely self-imposed.

While there are aspects of DDO where the reward doesn't match the time investment, the larger issue is with people who have gotten so obsessed with XP and levels and gear and past lives that they've stopped playing a game and turned it into a virtual rat race. And really, don't we all have enough of that in the real world?
    Great post... There are some people who won't run the quests even ONCE because the XP/min is so bad..

I can understand the argument "It's not so great on your 50th run". Like you, that's a not problem for me, since I play fairly slowly... But I can certainly understand the argument.

But to not even run it once?! There was a guy who posted that he'd rather run Impossible Demands for the 1500th time instead of the new content even ONCE because the xp/min was better in Impossible Demands.

I try not to cast judgement on the zerg through TRs, grind each quest 10x each crowd... Some of them really enjoy that... but there's something really wrong with you if you can't enjoy new content even the FIRST time because xp/min is always on your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Also, quests being easier actually has like 4 difficulties?

Not all wilderness areas are vast. red fens, tangleroot, 3BC, searing heights, are all easy to navigate and get to.
    Huh? There are long some hauls in all of those. To say nothing of the run to ADQ.

Don't worry, U20 will bring a NPC inside the quest entrance who will tele you to the end of the quest for 3AS. Even better, for 6AS he will tele the chest to you...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Huh? There are long some hauls in all of those. To say nothing of the run to ADQ.

Don't worry, U20 will bring a NPC inside the quest entrance who will tele you to the end of the quest for 3AS. Even better, for 6AS he will tele the chest to you...
    Long huals but not difficult to navigate. I dont want a chest teleported to me. I want to play a quest on casual difficulty. Why cant I get teleported there without paying 3AS?

Sands is long hauls with hard to navigate terrain, aside wiz king. I didnt mention it in my reply you quoted.
    Last edited by Rubbinns; 08-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I try not to cast judgement on the zerg through TRs, grind each quest 10x each crowd... Some of them really enjoy that... but there's something really wrong with you if you can't enjoy new content even the FIRST time because xp/min is always on your mind.
    Exactly. I don't care how people want to play, but it's a bit ridiculous when they choose a playstyle that makes the game not fun -- assuming they even consciously chose it -- and then complain that the game isn't fun and that it has to be changed to suit their requirements.

If all you want to do is grind, go play Runescape.

the larger issue is with people who have gotten so obsessed with XP and levels and gear and past lives that they've stopped playing a game and turned it into a virtual rat race.
    People have turned DDO in to a second job and that is the problem, if you (people in general not the person in the above quote) feel that you have to have the best XP per minute ratio at all times then that is fine and dandy... for you! DDO is all about options, options how to build your character, how to play your character, what quests to run, what gear to use etc etc. So please stop spitting your dummies out because the XP per minute ratio doesn't match Rusted Blades or any other quest for that matter, you choose to play like that so stop ramming it down other peoples throats ffs! Yes I ran Rusted Blades like a million times to cap out ED's on one toon sure but that is because I wanted to do that to get those maxed out asap if somebody else doesn't want to do it then that is their choice to make and not mine!

/rant.

Anyway on topic...

I love the Storm Horns areas it stunning to look at and freakin' huge, sure you can use cashtral shards to skip parts but you don't have to do it's a choice (remember those options I mentioned), yes sure it's probably a cash grab by Turbine but when half the player base is advocating to be Premium because VIP isn't worth it what the hell do you expect? They have to make money somehow to pay for development etc. The prison area is pretty cool but that Shadowfell purple thing I must admit I do find it rather annoying.

Stoner81.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast