Default Pure Wizard instakills

Hello guys,

Well, since the new update introduced that we can reroll characters and you can pretty much change them into something else, I was thinking of rerolling my 18 cleric (human) into an 18 human wizard.

The idea is to make a wizard that uses nothing but instakill spells (Phantsmal Killer, Finger of Death, Power Word: Kill, Wail of The Banshee, etc...). I know that most likely this won't be realistic since you can't instakill some mobs in Epic content; that is why I made this thread.
    Do you guys think that I would be able to make a 28 build human viable for EE content that can instakill stuff? Would ArchMage with Illusion focus (purely for the PK SLA) work or would the cookie cutter default PM work better for this?

Note: My main is a sorc and I teamed with a wizard the other day (level 25) and were doing Don't Drink The Water on EH, the guy instakilled everything in there except for the red names. I don't know how he did it, specially when the Yuan-Ti (or whatever these lizard things are called) spawn with the Death Ward symbol hovering over their heads

Could anyone shed some light on the idea and its viability and how did that wizard do that "magic"?

Thank you very much in advance.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Vallar View Post
    Hello guys,

Well, since the new update introduced that we can reroll characters and you can pretty much change them into something else, I was thinking of rerolling my 18 cleric (human) into an 18 human wizard.

The idea is to make a wizard that uses nothing but instakill spells (Phantsmal Killer, Finger of Death, Power Word: Kill, Wail of The Banshee, etc...). I know that most likely this won't be realistic since you can't instakill some mobs in Epic content; that is why I made this thread.
    Do you guys think that I would be able to make a 28 build human viable for EE content that can instakill stuff? Would ArchMage with Illusion focus (purely for the PK SLA) work or would the cookie cutter default PM work better for this?

Note: My main is a sorc and I teamed with a wizard the other day (level 25) and were doing Don't Drink The Water on EH, the guy instakilled everything in there except for the red names. I don't know how he did it, specially when the Yuan-Ti (or whatever these lizard things are called) spawn with the Death Ward symbol hovering over their heads

Could anyone shed some light on the idea and its viability and how did that wizard do that "magic"?

If you did you’d have to probably go pure PM, Magister, max your INT skill wherever possible. Build for spell pen, and don’t bother with Phantasmal Killer. It has two distinct saves, requires illusion focus (there is really not much in illusion to justify a huge concentration in it), and is subject to SR as well. Likewise spells like Prismatic Ray also have a random proc for instakill, but the proper conditions for it to be useful makes it pretty limiting.

And I don’t think that symbol was Death Ward but that Epic Ward, which is similar but not the same. You can still instakill stuff with an with Epic Ward.

Going PM gives you INT points for the DCs. Plus, if you can’t kill them outright with a FoD, you can also neg-level them with something like Energy Drain, and follow-it up with a Finger of Death. I use it fairly often on high-fort mobs.

That being said, you run into mobs that actually cast Deathward, your sorta screwed. You then often have to rely on elemental damage. So keep that in mind as well. Always have a backup when you can’t play Proctologist with the mobs.

Hey, I am loving my pale master more than ever now. I dont have a single piece of the new gear and still lv 25, but with the changes to enhancements i got my necro up to 61 and ENERVATION SLA. Since than, 100% of groups that dont have someone blitzing i lead killcount with my pale master, and also helping a lot with buffs and crowd control. The idea that you cant instakill in epics was never true. I highly recommend you to go drow and also pure.

Forget about phantasmal killer. With necromancy maxxed youll hardly want any other school to instakill. The best schools for dc wizard are main necromancy and second enchantment. With an hypno + crushing despair you can hold pretty well in EE content. For more info check my thread https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...aster-DC-Based.

If you did you’d have to probably go pure PM, Magister, max your INT skill wherever possible...
    I see, I was just fighting at first the PM way, since almost all wizards are PM. But if that will get the idea done, so be it; thank you very much.

Hey, I am loving my pale master more than ever now. I dont have a single piece of the new gear and still lv 25...
    I see. I honestly checked your thread; I always read the forums before I post. However your thread discouraged me and made me do the thread. When I saw you had PL feats and Drow with max Int, I kind of thought this might not suit first lifer. But since you mentioned it is possible and seems bsquishwizzy confirms that so there is still hope . I know it is probably going to be MUCH harder than a TR build, but I'll do it anyway.

Thank you very much
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    That being said, you run into mobs that actually cast Deathward, your sorta screwed. You then often have to rely on elemental damage. So keep that in mind as well. Always have a backup when you can’t play Proctologist with the mobs.
    If you are rolling in magister, nullmagic strike is really nice for stripping deathward off of mobs using a multi proc spell. You gotta give up some of the INT increases, but overall you will lose 2 DC to gain the ability to strip buffs, lower SR and stop enemy spell casters from casting magic for 30 seconds. Depending on your DC and situation, it might be worth it.
    Thelanis - Active Toons -> Gyversix, Lootforge, Reyvhin, Darkmeat, Yukka, Raypac

Leader of Solid

Don't forget Trap the Soul; all the effect of insta-killing with none of the killing. Thus, deathward doesn't prevent it. Woot!

Of course it caps at 30 HD so will only work through EH, but figured I'd toss it out there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Don't forget Trap the Soul; all the effect of insta-killing with none of the killing. Thus, deathward doesn't prevent it. Woot!

Of course it caps at 30 HD so will only work through EH, but figured I'd toss it out there anyway.
    I have a love / hate relationship with this concept:

Hate:

1) Nothing to do with a lot of the soul gems (I'm funny that way),
    2) The cost of the spell in shards - requires shard grinding, and then spending lots of time at the Stone of Change,
    3) The fact hat you indeed can't use it in EE (which is a weak excuse on my part)

Love:

1) All of the reasons you mentioned,
    2) It gives you something to do with all of those shards you pick up in quests.
    3) You can craft stuff with some of the soul gems.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vallar View Post
    Hello guys,

There's really no such thing as a PM or AM anymore. You can have the best of both worlds. You can get all the best things out of the PM tree and instakill in content where it is viable, while still getting all the good things out of the AM tree and sitting in Shiradi for the content where instakilling isn't viable. It's really quite amazing.