Thread: Faster Sneaking

Default Faster Sneaking

got an assasin, believe he is drow, but couldn't find the faster sneaking in the enhancements for rogues. Kind of important cause I don't like sneaking slow when trying to use assasination. Anyhows, where is it hidden in the UI, or is it only in the racial tree? I found my mechanic rogue (different character) who is halfling was able to pick up faster sneaking, even though he doesn't need it since his skills in it aren't good and he mostly doesn't sneak around. I think faster sneaking is also in one of the monk trees or ranger trees...

It's on Tier 1 of the Acrobat tree.

Subtle Backstab is also there on Tier 2 (called Subtlety), but it is an 'always on' ability now.

'No Mercy' from Tier 4 is another one to consider for an Assassin

Faster sneaking is like the red-headed stepchild of the rogue family. It's not needed, but it's a godsend when you're trying to assassinate something from behind or sneak quickly past something.

Ninja spy also has faster sneaking in their tree. If you max it, I believe it also gives you +1 ki regeneration while centered and stealthed).

Community Member

Just wanted to add that Deepwood Stalker for Rangers has Faster Sneak also at Tier 1.

Might as well include this also. The reason Faster Sneak is in the Acrobat tree is because in PnP it's more of an Acrobat thing. Since no one at Turbine knows how to make Acrobats work in the game like they do in PnP, it might not feel like Acrobats should have it, but it's the proper place for it since the Devs divided up the Rogue abilities this way.
    Last edited by oradafu; 08-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.

I never took Faster Sneaking in the past, but with the changes to stealth it is more attractive.

Now you can jump (-20) and tumble(-20) while stealthed so I find myself in sneak mode more often now.

I used to just run up to a distracted mob then jump, hit 'sneak' in mid-flight and assassinate the mob as I hit the ground but now they have added a 2 second timer to entering stealth so I can no longer jump-sneak-assassinate. So now I am trying to change my style and I find Faster Sneaking is the way to go (so far).

Anyone checked to see if 'Faster Sneaking' from different trees stack? As stated above, not exactly needed, but it could still be interesting...
    ....For Within the Circle of His Sword, There Is Each Man a King....

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I took 'Faster Sneaking' - the only 4 points I spent in the acrobat tree were 3/3 Faster Sneaking and 1 in the useless q-staff now being dex to-hit pre-req.

I'm glad I took it too, since it lets you move in to assassinate, but if it's just about general movement, tumbling is infinitely faster.

Sneak Mode inflicts a -20 jump and -20 tumble penalty.

Despite the tumble penalty, repeatedly rolling forward on my head like an idiot is much faster forward movement than sneaking even with 3/3 Faster Sneaking. I think in fact that I'm probably going to try and invest in a tumble item or augment for this very reason.

Similarly, I'm glad I kept pumping ranks into jump past 10 as the cap for rogues and other stealth classes is now functionally 60 not 40.

I'm a huge fan of those changes, and have a question if anyone's some sort of super expert on tumbling:
    -what is the cut-off point for the forward jump-roll move?
    -Is the forward jump-roll move faster or slower than a normal forward roll done with one fewer rank in tumble?

My guess is that it's slower since I think there's an enforced pause after the forward jump-roll, as opposed to normal forward rolls which can be chained together?

Anyway if I had a point at the start of this post it's probably gone now, but yep. Tumbling. Is good.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

Backflips and Sidevaults are 31 normal (51 stealthed), Forward fdives arew 36 (56 in stealth).

The special dive is meant to be the speed of a hasted individual versus the normal roll, which is just basic speed. That's assuming you chain them perfectly of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaldsberg View Post
    Anyone checked to see if 'Faster Sneaking' from different trees stack? As stated above, not exactly needed, but it could still be interesting...
    tested it on a ranger5/rogue5/monk5 (iconic chars are something fine for testing builds ) and yes, they stack...
    3x +50% movementspeed and you sneak faster then normal walking, kinda funny

and the class combination even looks like something that could work, just not sure yet what kind of build that would be, maybe a ranger12/rogue4/monk4 with ****loads of sneakattack dice or something

Community Member

Ninja Spy bonuses are brilliant for monk splashed rogues, a very nice build to run for those who just want to clobber things in melee and arent bothered about landing assassinates. You can take the enhancement bellow assassinate though which also lets you do +500 damage to enemies under 20% HP, but with 5-6 monk levels assassinate DCs are going to be a bit low.