Default Please Fix Quicken Spell!

Before anyone mentions this, yes, I have bug reported this.

After a very frustrating experience with a Fall of Truth run last night where I experienced many failed castings of spells with Quicken Spell toggled on (mostly haste and healing spells), I asked my guildies if they have been experiencing issues with Quicken Spell. The answer was almost unanimous: yes, and the problem has been around for quite some time. Up until the last year or so, I have played primarily clerics where often my role in raids would be to cast offensive and heal spells while standing still in a relatively safe spot; Quicken Spell was merely a safeguard and I did not experience this bug very often. However, recently I have spent a lot of time playing a bard arcane archer, which, while a fun build, is heavily dependent upon Quicken Spell to allow me to move quickly and strafe while casting. I have discovered that while attacking or moving (or strafing AND moving), Quickened Spells will be quite commonly interrupted somehow. I've found the only way to guarantee that a Quickened spell is cast is to stand completely still and NOT attack. This is somewhat counterproductive for obvious reasons.

So I want to appeal to the devs to fix this bug and put priority on it. I also want to appeal to players to bombard the bug report tool with reports of Quicken Spell not working and the conditions under which they have noticed it not working. A lot of characters depend on Quicken Spell combined with tactical movement to avoid being hit or to kite. Maybe if enough people sign this thread, discuss it, and bug report it, the devs will pay attention.

Report your bugs with Quicken Spell here!

And if there is some kind of work-around or tips on how to use Quicken Spell effectively, please share them here!

Edit 1: For further details, I did a little focused testing today. I did not have auto-attack on (and as a general rule I do not use auto-attack except for very specific circumstances, such as attacking Lolth), I was simply holding down the attack button. Sometimes the casting animation will run, and when it does, the visuals for the spell effect occur (such as when casting haste, the yellowish circle will appear centered on my hard target or myself if I have no hard target). In such a case, the SP will be spent. However, the buff does not appear on my buff bar or any allies nearby, and it appears for all other intents and purposes that the spell did not go off successfully.

Other times, the casting animation will not run, nor will the visual effects appear, but the cooldown will start. In this event, the SP is not spent, and spamming the button will get the spell cast properly.

So there are two aspects to this. The first appears to occur only with Quickened spells and DOES use up SP without applying the buff; the cooldown also begins and no amount of spamming the button will get it to go off. The second appears to be the more generalized problem with interrupting any action while performing another action (such as attacking and casting a spell at the same time, attacking and drinking a potion at the same time, or attacking and activating a boost at the same time). This second I am aware of, and I know the workaround is to just spam the second action until it goes off. But as yet, I have not figured a workaround for the Quickened spell issue aside from standing still and not attacking.

The bug you describe has nothing to do with quicken.
    Attacking (even if it's just swinging at the air), too soon after ANY action (which includes quickened spells, but not just that), will make the action fail. Moving might do the same under some conditions, but attacking really is the thing that happens most.

You'll see a timer on your action, but that timer is false. Click on it again, and it will work (your character may not do the usual animation for it, but the result is the same). Be careful that the real timer starts then, so your action will be on cooldown after the visible timer on your hotbar says it is. Recasting after the visible timer is off but before the real timer is results in the same bug : visible timer, visible animation but no effect... keep spamming the button and the action will happen, without animation again, with a desync timer again...

That's something any self-healing melee must have encountered. It even happens to drinking pots. Happens an awful lot with auto-attack.

Workaround : don't use auto-attack, and spam the button if you really need it to go off. Don't trust visible timers on your hotbars.
    Last edited by -Zephyr-; 08-22-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    The bug you describe has nothing to do with quicken.
    Attacking (even if it's just swinging at the air), too soon after ANY action (which includes quickened spells, but not just that), will make the action fail.
    While this is true, Quicken Spell exacerbates the problem. Not only do the spell points get spent, but the action is not completed.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    While this is true, Quicken Spell exacerbates the problem. Not only do the spell points get spent, but the action is not completed.
    I've never had the SP being counted down with that problem. And I play a lot of casters with quicken on all the time.
    I've had SP counted down when my spells were interrupted by tumbling, doing the animation of stepping on something, getting CCed... If anything, Quicken helps completing your animation fast enough to avoid those.

There are a lot of on-going rumors about quicken. I have yet to have any happen to me, and everyone knowing me will tell you I play casters a lot. I believe most are due to the desync of timers, and desync of animations. When you get used to those, you won't have any problems anymore.
    Last edited by -Zephyr-; 08-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

2016 DDO Players Council eris2323's Avatar

Auto-attack ruins my quickened spells a fair amount of time.

Wish they'd fix that.

I *DO* lose the sp, as well.

For further details, I did a little focused testing today. I did not have auto-attack on (and as a general rule I do not use auto-attack except for very specific circumstances, such as attacking Lolth), I was simply holding down the attack button. Sometimes the casting animation will run, and when it does, the visuals for the spell effect occur (such as when casting haste, the yellowish circle will appear centered on my hard target or myself if I have no hard target). In such a case, the SP will be spent. However, the buff does not appear on my buff bar or any allies nearby, and it appears for all other intents and purposes that the spell did not go off successfully.

Other times, the casting animation will not run, nor will the visual effects appear, but the cooldown will start. In this event, the SP is not spent, and spamming the button will get the spell cast properly.

So there are two aspects to this. The first appears to occur only with Quickened spells and DOES use up SP without applying the buff; the cooldown also begins and no amount of spamming the button will get it to go off. The second appears to be the more generalized problem with interrupting any action while performing another action (such as attacking and casting a spell at the same time, attacking and drinking a potion at the same time, or attacking and activating a boost at the same time). This second I am aware of, and I know the workaround is to just spam the second action until it goes off. But as yet, I have not figured a workaround for the Quickened spell issue aside from standing still and not attacking.

I will post this in the OP for further clarification.

No other feedback? Does this not seriously bother people?

This explains why I was not casting so many spells on my arti, because of damn auto attack, everything fine on sorc and fvs because they dont have auto attack on, but my arti sometimes doesnt cast 4 times in a row, killed me more than once.

Community Member

I don't have this problem, but I don't use auto attack.

Community Member

HAd problems tonight on EE - when you really need healing! 2 WF casters and me on my FVS all having problems firing off heals. I have never had any issues with this in 7 years of playing a healer so its definitely new

I have henceforth decided to leave auto-attack off until this issue is fixed. For right now, the only work-around I have which is guaranteed is to stop attacking and moving before casting a spell. It also seems to help a small amount if I right-click the spell on the hotbar and set Quicken Spell to "Always On." However, this is still difficult if you are trying to kite. And my bardcher's usual role of kiting the Truthful One in Fall of Truth for my guild is now incredibly difficult as a consequence as it usually requires that I am able to move, cast (mostly haste and the occasional heal), and attack to keep aggro all at the same time.

I have found that if I maintain movement without attacking that casting is usually okay, so long as I allow a second to pass before casting quickened spells in succession. In other words, while continuously moving, I cast a spell, wait one second, then cast a second spell (then wait another second before casting a third, and so on). This results in the spell getting cast successfully, although I have to stop strafing.

Community Member

This thing is so bad, I can't really keep tensers on with my reconstruct-melees. Failed reconstruct happens so often, that it's pretty much impossible to live with the double cooldown. Now I just spam quickened reconstruct, hope for the best, wait a few seconds, then run like a girl waiting for reconstruct to recharge so I can retry it, hoping it will go off the next time.