Community Member

Default Why don't feats use weapon groups now?

The new enhancements introduce weapon groups like small blades, large blades, hammers and picks and so on. However feats like weapon focus and improved critical still use slashing, piercing etc. I think feats should use weapon groups also, so for example assassins using a kukri (small blade, slashing) and a dagger (small blade, piercing) or dwarves using a hammer (bludgeon) and a pick (piercing) wouldn't have to take two improved critical feats.

AFAIK only those who switch between greataxe (axe, slashing) and greatsword or bastard sword (heavy blade, slashing) would get nerfed, most other builds would either benefit from this change or not be affected at all.
    Last edited by Dilbon; 08-22-2013 at 07:13 AM.

The Weapon Groups in the Enhancements is one of the best changes in the game!

A definite /Signed to Re-doing the Weapon Focus/Spec Feats to match.

I would like to state though that I feel the Elven Aerenal/Valenar Lines have one issue now...

Aerenal get Longbow
    Valenar get Shortbow

Come on Devs - This is a massive nerf to Valenar.
    I realise that Longsword doesn't compare to Scimitar BUT taking Longbow away from Valenar isn't the answer!

/not signed as it is

You are basically asking to get rid of w.focus to save one feat.
    The only groups where the feat matters is with kukri and picks.
    Kukri is the slasher for light blades users, and heavy picks is almost the only non-light piercer in the game.

I'm sure this can be done in better ways, specially withing Kensai itself.
    The way it is now, it feels the groups just pit 'em for pity, and that's the thing that needs fixing.

Besides, spending the feats is part of specializing in a weapon. Fighters are traditionally the ones able to make the most of it.
    Rogues are the ones affected, since it's a hard choice of kukri or piercers, and now the revamp makes it easier to pick kukri.

Let's instead ask devs to add proper support to build lines that need it, in this case damage types.
    Every build is supposed to have access to one of each type with some success, without needing to specialize on them.
    Damage types are already lack support in DDO, we need more options not less.
    No need to doom an entire mechanic just to save one feat.

Community Member

No.

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    Every build is supposed to have access to one of each type with some success, without needing to specialize on them.
    There are no two handed piercing weapons.

It would be nice if most weapons had at least two damage types. For example, a morningstar should have both pierce and bludgeon, and all axes should be slashing and bludgeoning. If you don't understand my logic on the axe, I feel fairly confident that at least half the damage incurred by an axe blow is crushing damage from the weight of the head. I can't imagine a greataxe having much trouble crushing a skeleton to dust. It would be nice to hang on to a ghostbane axe, have an all purpose weapon for undead, and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    There are no two handed piercing weapons.
    A bit off topic:

This hurts a lot.
    Furthermore, there are no two handed exotic weapons, and no two handed 20x4 weapons (unless you're in LD).

I can't understand why devs don't want to add Scythe, 2d4 20x4 piercing/slashing.
    They could handle it as an exotic weapon, and include it in the "tool" weapon group (axes, hammers, picks).

Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    It would be nice if most weapons had at least two damage types. For example, a morningstar should have both pierce and bludgeon, and all axes should be slashing and bludgeoning. If you don't understand my logic on the axe, I feel fairly confident that at least half the damage incurred by an axe blow is crushing damage from the weight of the head. I can't imagine a greataxe having much trouble crushing a skeleton to dust. It would be nice to hang on to a ghostbane axe, have an all purpose weapon for undead, and be done with it.
    Yep, these things come from the MMOfied weapons system.
    Various things never made into ddo: multitype weapons, wielding 1h in 2h, no throwable, exotic feat benefits, etc.
    Mind some players argue there's "no significant gain", which is debatable.
    This is also the root of "underused" weapons, lack of piercers, etc.
    At least some stuff got looked at like the 1.5h weapons, xbows, finesse, etc.