Default Shard Chest Reroll counts towars Ransack

So, yeah. I've been farming seals in Von1 and rerolling the Epic chest trying to get both more fragments and a Seal of ESOS.

Upon rolling my latest reroll of the chest, a message pops up "You have ransacked this chest often."

I feel this is rather terrible. Not only do you lose the loot from the first pick, but it costs you Shards to do so. So instead of getting 10 loots, you get 5 if you reroll trying to get a Seal.

Bringing this up from the third page in hopes of informing more people and maybe getting the word from a Dev as to whether this is an intended feature.

Paying shards to lose 5 entire chests of loot does not compute.

lol that sucks but I'm not surprised.

Turbine'd.

Knowing this, I will never utilize this feature.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well I was never going to use it anyway except by accidentally misclicking (I'm already getting more used to using q-e-b), but this definitely steals the cake: not only are they trying to cheat you out of shards, they also cheat you out of loot!
    It's well and truly pathetic. I love the rest of the expansion, I really do. But this spoils it all.

Greetz,
    Red Orm

Community Member

Default Hmmmmm

That blows. Can re-roll loot multiple times? i.e. can you stand a chest and re-roll, get no shard, hit the re-roll button again, and again....you could blow through a lot of Astral shards that way I guess - just curious.

If they want people using the re-roll (which I think is a safe assumption) they should remove it from the ransack roll mechanics. I would love to see the data on how much re-rolling is actually happening. I am not overflowing with astral shards so I can't see using it, but everyone is different.

What the Re-roll business manager needs is someone to re-roll and get some awesome loot who then comes on the forum and shares his lottery ticket story so everyone will want to re-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    lol that sucks but I'm not surprised.
    Me either.

I used the feature last night just to try it out in Broken Chains on EE. Our 3 man group thought it to be a decent opportunity to experiment. Especially considering how much of a PITA it can be to get the chest to spawn. So, even if it did count toward ransack, it's no biggie. We got two pulls for one run. And still didn't pull a ring from that stubborn chest, lol.

Von 1 is somewhere where I would question someone using that mechanic. That run moves so fast, no need really for additional pulls. I expected people to learn what the OP is stating by running things like POP, TOR Dragon Rooms, End of the Road. Or something else with mechanic that increases time spent- or offers a random chance of a chest even being there...
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Durten2 View Post
    That blows. Can re-roll loot multiple times? i.e. can you stand a chest and re-roll, get no shard, hit the re-roll button again, and again....you could blow through a lot of Astral shards that way I guess - just curious.

If they want people using the re-roll (which I think is a safe assumption) they should remove it from the ransack roll mechanics. I would love to see the data on how much re-rolling is actually happening. I am not overflowing with astral shards so I can't see using it, but everyone is different.

What the Re-roll business manager needs is someone to re-roll and get some awesome loot who then comes on the forum and shares his lottery ticket story so everyone will want to re-roll.
    No, you an only re-roll once per chest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    Von 1 is somewhere where I would question someone using that mechanic. That run moves so fast, no need really for additional pulls. I expected people to learn what the OP is stating by running things like POP, TOR Dragon Rooms, End of the Road. Or something else with mechanic that increases time spent- or offers a random chance of a chest even being there...
    Perhaps you've never heard the phrase, "A toon and his shards are quickly parted."

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    Me either.

I used the feature last night just to try it out in Broken Chains on EE. Our 3 man group thought it to be a decent opportunity to experiment. Especially considering how much of a PITA it can be to get the chest to spawn. So, even if it did count toward ransack, it's no biggie. We got two pulls for one run. And still didn't pull a ring from that stubborn chest, lol.

The chance for a Seal was worth it to me, though now that I've lost 5 loots of an Epic chest I no longer think so.

Still, if I am able to save someone 5 loots of the Blue Dragon chest in TOR I will consider this acceptable. I don't want other people to lose valuable things.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarnessaja View Post
    The chance for a Seal was worth it to me, though now that I've lost 5 loots of an Epic chest I no longer think so.

Still, if I am able to save someone 5 loots of the Blue Dragon chest in TOR I will consider this acceptable. I don't want other people to lose valuable things.
    What exactly did you lose? You essentially paid to not do the quest again and just get a second chance at the shinies, but you have to give up your first shinies which admitedly you didn't want anyhow. Isn't ransack rolling the chest in 1/2 the time enough of a win, and you have 1/2 as much vendor trash to worry about carrying around?

I hear what you are saying. It just struck me as odd where you used those rerolls. No actual offense intended or implied there.

The EE that I was mentioning, Broken Chains, is so darn long to get to the chest you want to loot that it becomes very time inefficient. I'd never use the reroll option, for example, in Rusted Blades at the Matron Chest. One takes a lot of time, while the other is exponentially shorter.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Makes sense to me that chests would ransack using re-rolls. Instead of farming a quest 10x you can farm it 5x. Cuts down on the time farming. I could see Turbine changing it though so they could get more money out of re-rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    What exactly did you lose? You essentially paid to not do the quest again and just get a second chance at the shinies, but you have to give up your first shinies which admitedly you didn't want anyhow. Isn't ransack rolling the chest in 1/2 the time enough of a win, and you have 1/2 as much vendor trash to worry about carrying around?
    I lost all the Fragments I would have gained, as well as the experience from multiple runs. The money from the platinum I would have made selling the items.

There's a difference between receiving loot you weren't looking for and receiving no loot at all and paying shards to do so.

I will never use this feature again if this is working as intended.

Makes sense to me that chests would ransack using re-rolls. Instead of farming a quest 10x you can farm it 5x. Cuts down on the time farming. I could see Turbine changing it though so they could get more money out of re-rolls.
    I couldn't care less about having to run it less. You are literally paying Turbine to lose half the loot. This information 100% should have been included in the release notes.
    Last edited by Ragnarnessaja; 08-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Community Member

I lost all the Fragments I would have gained, as well as the experience from multiple runs. The money from the platinum I would have made selling the items.

There's a difference between receiving loot you weren't looking for and receiving no loot at all and paying shards to do so.

I will never use this feature again if this is working as intended.

I couldn't care less about having to run it less. You are literally paying Turbine to lose half the loot. This information 100% should have been included in the release notes.
    You didn't lose any experience, because you could've run it again for XP if you wanted.

Plat? It's worthless. I wouldn't hang your hat on that argument.

The lone thing of moderate value you lost was the handful of fragments you would've gained in the runs you didn't do because of ransack. And that only actually applies to chests that drop fragments.

You paid for a chance at the random shinies, that's all. You just paid more than you thought you would, caveat emptor.

Community Member

This definitely diminishes the value of the re-roll feature especially with such low odds to get something in the first place.

You were doing that anyway, until something good that you wanted drops. Also paying to only have to run the quests half as many times in order to ransack the chests.

If you couldnt care less about having to run it less, why pay to reroll at all? In order to get what you want in less runs, which is literally paying to run it less.

This doesnt surprise me one bit. People using p2w mechanims to lessen the time it takes to accomplish their goals expect that they are paying for an advantage. They dont expect to pay in order to reach diminishing returns more quickly.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

• While the act of re-rolling does not count towards ransack penalty.....from release notes.

obviosly not working as intended...so trolling the op is just that

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post

If you couldnt care less about having to run it less, why pay to reroll at all? In order to get what you want in less runs, which is literally paying to run it less.

I used the reroll because I thought it was doubling my chance to get it within a ransack period. Not to get it in less runs.