Default Spinning chain weapon attack: -80% damage... really?

Looking at the combat log I noticed that that weapon is so scary that I can lose up to 80% of my weapon damage, 16 concentration and 40% attack speed.

I've not yet figured out what the save on it is. Will maybe? Anyone know?

Also, has anyone figured out the damage type or if somehow that attack bypasses dodge? I was rolling in on them with 21% base dodge, 50% uncanny and adding the 30% from tempest and still getting hit way more often than I saw "dodge" over my head.
    /sigh

Community Member

The chain attack is easy to avoid.

Since they cant move anymore if they start using it..you can just move away out of their range and wait until its over or shoot at them.
    The attack seems to have a cooldown and they wont use it for some time after it.

Of course if you stay in that attack you deserve -80% damage and -40% attack speed :P
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post

Since they cant move anymore if they start using it..you can just move away out of their range and wait until its over or shoot at them.
    The attack seems to have a cooldown and they wont use it for some time after it.

Of course if you stay in that attack you deserve -80% damage and -40% attack speed :P
    yeah, true - but tell it to the hireling

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    Heh, like they listen about the lava, either.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

These enemies need a special lag power to use as a combo with their fearsome spinning chains.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    These enemies need a special lag power to use as a combo with their fearsome spinning chains.
    They already have a dreadful client freeze ability.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post

Yes, running away and hitting them with many shot has been my general tactic.

With those guys in quests, we are just assuming the hires will die at some point. I started leaving them behind and pulling the shadarkai back, but unless the hires are in useless, I mean passive, mode they will still go stand in the chain arc and die.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    They already have a dreadful client freeze ability.
    Yeah, I too have noticed a log of lag when this attack is happening.
    /sigh

Id like the hires to have a PANIC!!! button that causes them to run off somewhere safer.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    Looking at the combat log I noticed that that weapon is so scary that I can lose up to 80% of my weapon damage, 16 concentration and 40% attack speed.

Also, has anyone figured out the damage type or if somehow that attack bypasses dodge? I was rolling in on them with 21% base dodge, 50% uncanny and adding the 30% from tempest and still getting hit way more often than I saw "dodge" over my head.
    They're really the only interesting thing in the update. Everything else just gets steamrolled, they're less diverse than level 1 kobolds.

But... the assassins are a bit overtuned. Doing EEs and they're pretty much one-shotting a lot of people as their attacks will go off so fast you can easily be eating 1k dps. The one red named boss assassin was hitting for 550 through I think 80 PRR.

I'm not familiar with the shadar ki guys in 3E so much, but the spiked chain is known for tripping not doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Of course epic characters also aren't known for fighting petty criminals in sewers or having trouble finding a secret door either.

Community Member

That red-named boss (Kill Karleth) at the end of Thrill of the Hunt sent me off to do other content until I can find a way to deal with over a 100 points of slashing damage per hit on his chain (on normal). Kills all the hirelings really fast, and I'm not usually far behind them. This was on my monk.

I made a Shadar-kai character in order to see how that special attack works. On the PC it seems like the radius is smaller than on the red-named boss, but I can't be sure. It also seems like the cooldown is much longer for PCs vs the red named boss. My character has to run thru all the low-level coin lord stuff to get some inventory space before I can really start playing it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Its a step up from being fleeced for 5000 points of mana and having to drink a curse pot every 4 seconds.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its a step up from being fleeced for 5000 points of mana and having to drink a curse pot every 4 seconds.
    So is the trash loot 0o

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Id like the hires to have a PANIC!!! button that causes them to run off somewhere safer.
    Lol... no doubt. I've learned to play with hires due to being in a 6 person guild where we work different shifts. i'd love a few new controls for the hires like your panic button. Maybe some risk level settings, like low: attack but back off if you take damage. Medium: attack but back off if you go below half and high: "take that hill and damn the cost!!!"

But, I think we probably need more bug fixes and lots of content first.

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    They're really the only interesting thing in the update. Everything else just gets steamrolled, they're less diverse than level 1 kobolds.

But... the assassins are a bit overtuned. Doing EEs and they're pretty much one-shotting a lot of people as their attacks will go off so fast you can easily be eating 1k dps. The one red named boss assassin was hitting for 550 through I think 80 PRR.

I'm not familiar with the shadar ki guys in 3E so much, but the spiked chain is known for tripping not doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Of course epic characters also aren't known for fighting petty criminals in sewers or having trouble finding a secret door either.
    Agreed. The three quests I've hit so far are not to bad until the faulty red alert with these guys and the chain attack thrown in for interest.

I hope you didn't think I want them removed. I just want to understand the attack better.

Well, I do think some of the recent stacking of negative effects has gotten out of hand. This is not as bad as the one in FoT that robs you of your reflex save, but I'm hoping Turbine does not continue that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Lol... except now instead of stealing mana to drive you to the store, they are just selling us ASShards to bypass the explorer areas.*

*note: I love explorer areas so I'm not complaining about them, just the ASShard policy.
    /sigh

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

like into the nearest lava, trap or spell ward

Reflex save. I failed 4(+21). Not that 21 reflex would ever be expected to buy much....
    Also, has anyone figured out the damage type or if somehow that attack bypasses dodge?

I was rolling in on them with 21% base dodge, 50% uncanny and adding the 30% from tempest and still getting hit way more often than I saw "dodge" over my head.
    Actually my Barbarian was running the Shadow destiny with the 100% dodge /6 seconds skill. The first time I met the chains, I'm not entirely sure if my dodge boosts went off quickly enough. The second time I was slaughtered despite my best (static) defenses (uncanny dodge, dr, etc.). The chain effect seemed to happen quickly in rapid succession at about 390 dmg per pop on me.

Best idea I was offered is to be NOT there when it happens. YMMV.
    -------------------
    Anatir the Wild Man - Pure Barbarian
    Baldornix Magnus - Paladin 1st Life, Bard 2nd Life
    Cannith

They most likely would panic then run into a trap and stay there its impossible to code safe into a hire.....they hate their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by smckelv View Post
    Reflex save. I failed 4(+21). Not that 21 reflex would ever be expected to buy much....

Actually my Barbarian was running the Shadow destiny with the 100% dodge /6 seconds skill. The first time I met the chains, I'm not entirely sure if my dodge boosts went off quickly enough. The second time I was slaughtered despite my best (static) defenses (uncanny dodge, dr, etc.). The chain effect seemed to happen quickly in rapid succession at about 390 dmg per pop on me.

Best idea I was offered is to be NOT there when it happens. YMMV.
    Thanks, by the time I could look at the log I could no longer find the attack itself (which also seems odd), so thanks for the save info. I've been running heroic elite with a 36 reflex, so that would explain why I was having some luck.

I'm not sure dodge is working against it though. But I'll admit I'm not sure how to test in it that much chaos.
    /sigh