Community Member

Default returning - what to do with my WF earth savant

Hi guys,

I just returned to the game, left shortly after MOTU, looks like my WF earth savant wont cut it anymore... i'm looking for suggestions as what to do with him.

I have the +20 heart so lots of options, i'd like to stay wf sorc with high dmg and survivability.

Looks like shiradi is the way to go, i'm thinking 18sorc/2FVS what would you guys do? I play mostly in small groups but would like to be able to solo when needed.

Thx

Community Member

Don't be too eager to use your LR+20. That's an awesome item you can make most things with (although you have to stay WF).

The first thing I would do if I was you would be to play around with the various Sorc options. Try out a fire savant, you can also take 2 PrE lines which you couldn't do before, so you could get all 3 Acid SLAs and the first 2 fire ones. SLAs are particularly fun now if you stick all the metas on them.

Hope this helps,

I would certainly hold off on using the LR+20. Since you've been gone a while you may, in fact, have a free lesser LR. No level changes, but if you need to make significant skill/feat changes it might help. Spellcraft is a new skill for you, and while its not a make break if you don't have it, it's certainly a boost to damage. Depending on the game level you want to play at a pure 20 sorc with standard feats from before should serve you well and you can easily swap out enhancements. The inflated saves of mobs is a reason you see a lot of shiradi it allows the spamming of multi-proc no dc spells that can proc CC and added damage. But if you're playing eH mostly, an earth savant's large pool of spells that have no saves (melfs, dragonbolt, burning blood, etc) is about all you'd need.

Build up some experience with the new enhancement system before determining what changes you'd like to tweak. Pally splashes for survivability and fvs splashes for more damage.

But really, what you probably want to do is cruise the AH for some cheap, power-creep random-gen gear as the quickest way to boost your character. Also, a couple Tors should net you dragon blood to do some significant spell swapping as you play around with the enhancements during your adjustment period.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    I would certainly hold off on using the LR+20...
    I agree with you guys no need to rush, i still have to grind 2 levels of legendary dreadnought and shiradi anyways so i have time to decide what to do.

I did not use the free lr yet just put the enhancement points in fire + acid secondary and I'm not too impressed. Sure I'm rusty and not playing all that good but i was not able to solo eh LOD, ran out of mana at the final boss while spending half to fight on my ass. Did they significantly up the bosses hp? I used to be able to do it easily...

How do people level destinies nowdays? just a couple von 3's every 3 days? I dont feel I'm contributing much out of DI.

First of all - I'll give you the history of my Sorc.

Was WF Earth Savant for first two lives - loved it and then came MoTU - still managed through, but it was far more difficult and I was virtually worthless in a group. When The High Road was released I couldn't manage at all as a pure Acid Savant - not enough SP get through even half of a quest/distance to a shrine. So I decided to TR - into a Sorc again for the additional Spell Points and to try messing with other Sorc Builds

I was at level 16 on my third life when EGH hit and Shiradi became mainstream - after much conversation with some trusted forumites that play Shiradi Sorcs, I decided that was the way to go. Good news was that I had already ground out up to tier 3 Shiradi so I didn't have to grind much more - and I was at the perfect level to splash my 2 Pally levels.

So that's what I did - splashed 2 Pally levels and was on my way to really tweaking out my gear for a Shiradi Sorc. I've played that build for quite a while now and I really loved it...loved it so much that....then came U19.

When U19 hit along came the enhancement pass - I played on Lamaland for weeks trying to figure out the best solution - and I decided that 18/2 Pally splash built for Dodge was the most survivable out there - and I still believe that it is. The problem in the build is that Ultra Survivable sacrifices lots of power - and in the U19 content Power and quick kills = more survivable than the most survivable builds out there.

Along came a few twists - the 18/2 FvS Splash, the 16/2/2 Pally/FvS splash, and the 16/4 FvS Splash.

Now I'm in the middle of another TR and I've already decided on grabbing at least two FvS levels - I'm just not sure what the final outcome is going to be.

Here's my thoughts on the four builds -

18/2 Pally - survivable, but lacking the power of the FvS Twist. You get Wings, FF, and Knockdown Immunity through the Air Savant Tree along with some other goodies from the Fire Savant tree. YOu also get your Charisma modifier added to all of your saves - which is estremely nice when soloing EE content. The downfall of this build is that because the new endgame has more to do with masses of low end MoBs and fewer high HP, endurance battles, so killing quickly is more important than surviving a long, drawn-out boss fight.

18/2 FvS - More powerful than the Pally splash, but you lack a lot in the way of saves comparatively. You benefit from still getting the benefits from the Air Savant Tree, along with more goodies from Fire and Angel of Vengeance. You are much more powerful and can take out the masses of trash mobs significantly faster than the /2 pally splash - which is far better for today's end game.

16/2/2 - The best of both worlds - and all you lose is Knockdown Immunity and Meteor Swarm - both are easy enough to overcome once you get used to it. This is probably the most survivable of the 4 builds since you maintain all of the benefits of the Pally build and get most of the benefits of the FvS splash.

16/4 FvS Splash - This build is all together different from the above three builds since you dump air savant and focus entirely on the Fire Savant and Angel of Vengeance trees. You are more powerful than the other three builds and you literally never run out of spell points. Everything goes into Crit Chance so you regen your spell points nearly 3 out of every 4 spells cast with the Just Reward enhancement. Your damage is significantly higher than the other builds simply because you're critting much more often.

I'm leaning towards the 16/2/2 or 16/4 build at this time - I just haven't quite decided. (I'm at 9/2 FvS now and have plenty of time to decide since I don't have an XP Stone to play with)

Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    I agree with you guys no need to rush, i still have to grind 2 levels of legendary dreadnought and shiradi anyways so i have time to decide what to do.

I did not use the free lr yet just put the enhancement points in fire + acid secondary and I'm not too impressed. Sure I'm rusty and not playing all that good but i was not able to solo eh LOD, ran out of mana at the final boss while spending half to fight on my ass. Did they significantly up the bosses hp? I used to be able to do it easily...

How do people level destinies nowdays? just a couple von 3's every 3 days? I dont feel I'm contributing much out of DI.
    Point 1 - Go Fire/Air - you'll like it a lot better.
    Point 2 - Use your free LR (not the +20) to revamp your skill points - you'll really want Spellcraft since you've essentially lost a bunch of spell power by not having it.
    Point 3 - when you decide what to do, don't use your +20 LR - it'll be put to a much better use at another time (like when you want to get a free Barbarian life after leveling to 20 with a Sorc). Go out and get a +3/+5 LR and use it to rebuild your toon base on the build you decide to go with.
    Point 4 - You'll want Gear...gear is very important. It's easiest to get gear as a Shiradi Sorc - although you can still get gear on your pure Sorc Build while you're grinding out your Shiradi destiny.
    Point 5 - VoN 3 once a day and Von5/6 every three days is a quick way to grind out your destinies. Also, just running through the Eveningstar/Underdark/Demonweb Quests daily is a good way to grind out XP.

Got To Go - Wife's in Labor...it's Baby Time!!!
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

Quote Originally Posted by thesnoman View Post
    Got To Go - Wife's in Labor...it's Baby Time!!!
    Congrats and the best to you, the wife and the newborn

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    Congrats and the best to you, the wife and the newborn
    Thank you - happy healthy baby boy born on 10/8. We're finally home and ready to game between feedings, diapers, and all of his big sister's wants and needs...

In other words - I'm looking forward to getting about an hour a week on DDO for a while
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows