Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

This shows why the P2P model in general is a fail nowadays. Yet some games still insist on doing it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    This shows why the P2P model in general is a fail nowadays. Yet some games still insist on doing it.
    Indeed, "this" shows many things. Care to elaborate on your clear vision on the subject?

... It's just a choice which you may or may not subscribe to. Why is this so hard to understand? Differents offers for differents needs. Even the worst troll would find something better to play with.

If you can't understand why some people could use the VIP model... think harder.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Nonsense. You can clearly try before you buy. If you choose not to and plunge in with a subscription, that's your choice. To say it's a trick is ridiculous.

I don't rate the better deal being how little I can pay to play the game. if you do then you could be right in what you describe as the best deal for you in your personal circumstances. I personally completely disagree with your opinion.
    People on the forums can make a perfectly well-founded choice between the two packages. A new customer cannot know without doing extensive research. On https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip there is only a small line that says: "All Adventure Packs released in non-expansion Updates are free to DDO VIPs". As a new customer I have no idea what that means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Double post
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 08-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    People on the forums can make a perfectly well-founded choice between the two packages. A new customer cannot know without doing extensive research. On https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip there is only a small line that says: "All Adventure Packs released in non-expansion Updates are free to DDO VIPs". As a new customer I have no idea what that means.
    So a new customer should blindly put in 100-200$+ to buy content instead of 15$ to try it out? Right.

. . .

meh...I like being a VIP and I like the new expansion. Feels like more than just an update to me. Some people like farming for TP. I hate it.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    Indeed, "this" shows many things. Care to elaborate on your clear vision on the subject?
    With a P2P model it's simply that if you don't pay a monthly fee you can't play.

Clicking "The Game" and "Adventure Packs" doesn't qualify as "extensive research" in my book. The page hasn't been updated with the last expansion yet, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

It's also possible to ask on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    8/10 of the most populated games right now are sub. I do not think the word fail means what you think it means.

Kind of...

Us forumites can make an informed decision based on what the agreement looks like today. Then when they alter the agreement, we pray they dont alter it any further...

Quote Originally Posted by Extispex View Post
    Clicking "The Game" and "Adventure Packs" doesn't qualify as "extensive research" in my book. The page hasn't been updated with the last expansion yet, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

It's also possible to ask on the forums.
    We are talking about a brand new customer who doesnt understand as of yet that the word "expansion" and "update" relating to content have a very different meaning in the DDO nomenclature.

Community Member

Default Something New?

I play DDO. I like playing DDO. I, therefore, don't mind paying the fees associated with my VIP status.

However, I do agree that VIPs are not currently getting the full value of there subscription. I did not have a problem paying for MotU because there was enough content to actually legitimize calling it an expansion pack. Unlike MotU, U19 was more about system-wide changes that effected all players, whether or not they paid for the "expansion". (Ref. loot changes, enhancements, etc.)

Going forward, as a means of mitigating such discrepancies between Turbine and VIPs, perhaps the kobolds would consider offering expansions to VIPs at a discounted rate. This way, Turbine could still get the requisite funds while also rewarding VIPs for their loyalty and contributions.

Community Member

Sure everything previous posters have said has been said before. But that doesnt exclude it from the need of repetition. If players say it enough, turbine might get the message.

Motu had the feel of a p2p expansion, especially considering that it had an actual raid to cap it off.

Shadowfell is just two free updates that were withheld (consider all the time between the GH update and now--that 3 quest "update" doesnt count as one in my book) so that they could roll them into a p2p update ("expansion").

I preordered and now i feel like i got jipped. I think that those that have bought the expansion must be few. The lfm panel never has shadowfell stuff listed it seems, but i see tons of other epic groups forming up. Unless people are still tweaking builds a lot still.

I feel the only real value i get from vip is open on elite since i run lots of alts. However, considering how few free updates we get, im thinking ill be better off cancelling my vip and saving the cash to purchase the updates instead.

For me going VIP is ALMOST worth it, even if i do own all the quests and classes.

Why, you may ask.

Its becuase i HATE going through the N/H/E to get favor for a rarely run quest, or one that ive leveled past. And getting BB would be nice for my firstlifers as well, since i play 21 toons on one server alone at the moment.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by Leistes View Post
    I play DDO. I like playing DDO. I, therefore, don't mind paying the fees associated with my VIP status.

However, I do agree that VIPs are not currently getting the full value of there subscription. I did not have a problem paying for MotU because there was enough content to actually legitimize calling it an expansion pack. Unlike MotU, U19 was more about system-wide changes that effected all players, whether or not they paid for the "expansion". (Ref. loot changes, enhancements, etc.)

Going forward, as a means of mitigating such discrepancies between Turbine and VIPs, perhaps the kobolds would consider offering expansions to VIPs at a discounted rate. This way, Turbine could still get the requisite funds while also rewarding VIPs for their loyalty and contributions.
    This is one of the few reasons why I refuse to buy Shadowfell. Basically, they released some quests with a different story line and at the same time made some very big changes to the game that affects all of us. Take away the big changes from this "expansion", enhancements, changes to skills, secret doors, loot re-roll, UI and its not worth calling an expansion in my opinion.

I suggested before last expansion release of VIPs paying a discount price for expansions. I was met with opposition that other MMOs dont do that either. I would consider it fair and makes Turbine look less evil I don't see anything wrong with it and would be a juicy perk. DDO led the way with F2P, so they could do the same with subs if they really wanted to. I know I would have fought over morals and a discounted expansion price if it was a VIP perk.

Even though it was asked before, it's a fair question and not trolling. Why go VIP at all if you keep having to pay for new content?
    I pay the yearly subscription... costs me $99 a year. That's $8.25 a month. I get 500 TPs a month free... That's a value of $3.50-$4.00 a month...

So I pay about $4.50 a month for everything else.

Seems like a perfectly good deal to me. Super cheap. Super easy.

Buying everything like character slots and shared banks and all the content must cost what? At least $150? So that's 30 months before I break even if I went premium, and that doesn't include all the content they would release between now and 30 months from now...

There's just not enough savings for it to be worth my time, and having to wait for things to go on sale.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 08-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

A new customer cannot know without doing extensive research. On https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip there is only a small line that says: "All Adventure Packs released in non-expansion Updates are free to DDO VIPs". As a new customer I have no idea what that means.
    All it takes is five minutes to set up an account and post on the forums with a simple question asking for all the details. There is a big difference between being tricked and being lazy.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Buying everything like character slots and shared banks and all the content must cost what? At least $150? So that's 30 months before I break even if I went premium, and that doesn't include all the content they would release between now and 30 months from now...
    It's roughly 18 months to get everything in the game as a premium penny pincher, but even then you still don't get elite unlock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12