Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Service Notice: DDO Mac Client Issue

We are currently aware of an issue that is preventing players from logging into the game using the Mac client. We are working quickly to resolve this issue, and will have more information as soon as it is available.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Default All I'm Saying

All I'm saying is TURBINE is getting closer with every screw up to losing a plethora of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomocity View Post
    All I'm saying is TURBINE is getting closer with every screw up to losing a plethora of customers.
    is that anything like a plethora of pinatas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are currently aware of an issue that is preventing players from logging into the game using the Mac client. We are working quickly to resolve this issue, and will have more information as soon as it is available.
    Just starting it, was a good enough test to notice this.

A Cross Platform Software Developer / Mac User

Community Member

@Spikkel: what exactly did you notice?

Community Member

Unhappy Doh!

I look forward to playing this game. Why don't you guys just undo the iteration update you had the client do. It will return back to the default values and should work. During this time create a new iteration update and test it on a few imacs first. This is not too difficult. Just when a person logs in undo the iteration update that messed everything up. This should take at most an hour for this patch. I don't think it is a big issue. I would like to know you feedback on this.

Community Member

Talking Thanks I can see it in the client screen

At least you now show this on your client screen now. Maybe you guys are working on it. I just like this game very much and today was a bummer. I don't mean to take it out on you :-).

Community Member

Default Update?

Hi,

Is there an update/eta for this being fixed?

I understand that your community of mac users is probably small, but if you capture the data, you may want to take a look at the rate at which that number is growing (or shrinking).

-K

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf465 View Post
    I look forward to playing this game. Why don't you guys just undo the iteration update you had the client do. It will return back to the default values and should work. During this time create a new iteration update and test it on a few imacs first. This is not too difficult. Just when a person logs in undo the iteration update that messed everything up. This should take at most an hour for this patch. I don't think it is a big issue. I would like to know you feedback on this.
    You so sure this is a simple client side issue? I'd figure this is connected with the bug fixes from this morning. In which case that would mean they'd have to shut down all the servers reintroduce the bugs they just got rid of and then shut down servers again once they have the fix...
    Yeah pretty sure they won't do that. Sit tight I am pretty sure people over there are going to do some overtime till they get a hotfix for this and if it is done in time the necropolis raid issue.

Great. NOW i'm going to have to catch up on my sleep and some freelance stuff.

How can I possibly screw around properly without DDO!

KHAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!
    "Sorry Elminster, it was really dark, and I'd drank a LOT of coffee..."

still no joy for the Mac users Cordovan? I had noticed this same issue the past few days if I happened to hit enter to skip the starting screen, so I stopped doing that; likely unrelated, but I figure every little bit helps.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon131313 View Post
    still no joy for the Mac users Cordovan? I had noticed this same issue the past few days if I happened to hit enter to skip the starting screen, so I stopped doing that; likely unrelated, but I figure every little bit helps.
    Hopefully we'll have more information to share tomorrow, but it's just a bit too early at this point to announce anything.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Hopefully we'll have more information to share tomorrow, but it's just a bit too early at this point to announce anything.

If it helps solve the problem, the client crashed during play at approximately 12:30am EDT on 8/21/13. Afterwards (and continuing now), the client crashes right after the splash screen. When given the choice to report, ignore, or reopen -- reopening produces the following error:
    Game Error [25083240]
    The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters.
    [PlatformStringID_MustRunFromLauncher]

When choosing to report, here's some data from the dump:
    Process: dndclient [511]
    Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/MacOS/dndclient
    Identifier: com.turbine.dndclient
    Version: dnd_16_1 (01.21.01.8034 dnd_16_1)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [139]
    User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2013-08-21 22:48:53.307 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
    Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 2335026 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 28
    Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 625 sec
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 10
    Anonymous UUID: 0A4EA606-197A-EF4E-8D4F-4698FE705679

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
    --> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/MacOS/dndclient
    VM_ALLOCATE 0000000000001000-0000000000004000 [ 12K] ---/--- SM=NUL

Also, I've noticed there are now re-draw errors on the Launcher -- Screenshot:

Community Member

Lightbulb More details needed

Cordovan:

I don't believe you enlightened us on this issue specifically or in any significant way what exactly is preventing mac users from accessing the game? In which ways are you working quickly to resolve it? Perhaps if you told us about this issue someone could come up with a fix around it. There are many smart readers on this forum who just might have a solution. If this happens we won't annoy you anymore. I promise or at least until the next major bug ;-D.

Community Member

Default I have to say...

Turbine tends to break much more than they fix. I realize that each fix clears up an issue with old coding, but at the same time it has potential to break some even older coding, or just break a previous fix. If I might make a suggestion to Turbine it would be this: Set aside a small team of developers to completely re-write the coding. Update it all, and use a better indexing system to separate each individual dungeon's code and the main coding for individual weapons and what not. Once the game is re-written, bring down the servers for a day or two, maybe even a week if necessary, and bring the revamped game online. I have spoken to many players on my server, Sarlona, about this and each one of them has given me positive feedback. One even said that they would wait a month if it meant a smoother, less bugged game experience. Sure this would take a while *understatement alert* but it would be well worth it. One last thing. If the servers were brought down for an extended period of time, you should send a free Game-Time code, specifically for the duration of the downtime, to make up for the time/money lost to your paying customers.

Just a thought...

Community Member

Default Info Please

I think many people don't really understand just how complicated software of this magnitude can be. Turbine has full-time engineers who work on this code. There's no one in the forums that is going to come up with a "solution" based on any info that could be posted by Turbine's social media people. It just doesn't work like that.

Having said that, it seems like Turbine is sort of half-assing the Mac client. As a VIP subscriber who uses the Mac client, I'm continually frustrated by glitchy quests and other issues such as this Mac-specific downtime. In particular, I'm frustrated by issues that it appears could have been avoided by some basic QA. Did anyone at Turbine test the hotfix on a Mac client before it was released? I certainly hope so. However, it seems like if they had, this would have been caught.

I get that the number of Mac client users is probably insignificant compared to the Windows client users. But if you build a better client, more people will use it. Acquiring more paying users is the goal, is it not? And a paying user is a paying user, regardless of which client they choose.

I don't know what's going on inside of Turbine right now, but I hope that they're treating this downtime with the same urgency that they would treat downtime that includes the Windows client. I hope that they're not holding off on deploying a fix so that they they can roll up the raid fix with it. That wouldn't be fair to the paying subscribers who rely on the Mac client.

So, Turbine, my request is this: Give us some useful information. I don't want to know what you think the problem is or how you plan to fix it. Those details might be interesting, but they're not really relevant. What I want to know is when I will be able to once again use the service that I'm paying for. If your answer is "we're not sure," then tell us that. If you have to keep telling us that every hour, then do that. If you've identified the problem and it's going to require another hotfix that's 48 hours away, then tell us that. At least then we know you're working on the problem. Going 10 hours with no updates is not good communication.

We all like your product, that's why we're here and that's why we continue to pay for it every month. Don't leave us in the dark.

Community Member

Default So much truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eadbhard View Post
    I think many people don't really understand just how complicated software of this magnitude can be. Turbine has full-time engineers who work on this code. There's no one in the forums that is going to come up with a "solution" based on any info that could be posted by Turbine's social media people. It just doesn't work like that.

Having said that, it seems like Turbine is sort of half-assing the Mac client. As a VIP subscriber who uses the Mac client, I'm continually frustrated by glitchy quests and other issues such as this Mac-specific downtime. In particular, I'm frustrated by issues that it appears could have been avoided by some basic QA. Did anyone at Turbine test the hotfix on a Mac client before it was released? I certainly hope so. However, it seems like if they had, this would have been caught.

I get that the number of Mac client users is probably insignificant compared to the Windows client users. But if you build a better client, more people will use it. Acquiring more paying users is the goal, is it not? And a paying user is a paying user, regardless of which client they choose.

I don't know what's going on inside of Turbine right now, but I hope that they're treating this downtime with the same urgency that they would treat downtime that includes the Windows client. I hope that they're not holding off on deploying a fix so that they they can roll up the raid fix with it. That wouldn't be fair to the paying subscribers who rely on the Mac client.

So, Turbine, my request is this: Give us some useful information. I don't want to know what you think the problem is or how you plan to fix it. Those details might be interesting, but they're not really relevant. What I want to know is when I will be able to once again use the service that I'm paying for. If your answer is "we're not sure," then tell us that. If you have to keep telling us that every hour, then do that. If you've identified the problem and it's going to require another hotfix that's 48 hours away, then tell us that. At least then we know you're working on the problem. Going 10 hours with no updates is not good communication.

We all like your product, that's why we're here and that's why we continue to pay for it every month. Don't leave us in the dark.

.//Signed - You have just summed up my complete frustration with turbine. I have been a paying customer, intermittently due to circumstances beyond my control, but a paying customer for five year's this year. I would appreciate at least an update with some information, even if its just - as stated above - a "We don't know yet" or a specific timeframe, or whether or not you've identified the problem. This game has me considering becoming a software engineer instead of an actor, not that it matters. In all seriousness Turbine, I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game. Please spend a few hours making sure it works on both platforms.

Community Member

So does this mean it's useless to continue trying to login tonight? This is unfortunate.

Community Member

I suppose re-downloading the Mac client and re-updating wouldn't help? Bought the new content during the pre-sale and I feel a little ripped off :P

Community Member

It couldn't hurt. If you end up doing it, would you mind posting your results and letting us know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast