Community Member

Wink Need Help Lvl 9 Rogue/Assasin Lvl 6 Artificer

I've created a few mixed characters with Artificer as second choice. I don't know where to go to get a Light or Heavy Repeating Crossbow, and a nice Rune Arm weapon to start off with. I'm relatively new to the game (6 Months) and haven't explored the big city across the ocean much. I can get around the Harbor, and the Marketplace pretty well, but don't know the various houses and what they specialize in ... Oh yeah, I'll need different kinds of bolts for the Repeating Crossbow(s). Please help me if you can, it's difficult to play a Rogue/Artificer without these weapon(s).

Community Member

At the end of most Quest chains there will be something for Artificers too in the reward list, take a look at http://ddowiki.com/page/Named_weapons_by_type to find out where to get named repeating crossbows and rune arms.

Community Member

little unsure as to what level of help you need, at lvl15 i'd have expected you to have looted a repeater and rune arm by now and seen a lot more than just the market place.

anyway, picking up on how unsure you are of stormreach here is a handy list of rune arms you can browse to find one to aim for:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_arm#Tab...amed_Rune_Arms

as for the repeater, i get most of mine from the auction house if i dont loot a nice one

the bolts for you is a good thing, artificers can get a low level spell to create a stack of bolts (level 1 spell if i remember correctly). so you dont need to buy a ton of them like my mechanic does. that said if you want to bypass damage reduction then focus on house Denith favour to unlock their shop. they can sell stacks of bolts in all flavours. i'd recommend getting a quiver with adamantium, cold iron and silver in and a good aligned repeater, that will cover the vast bulk of DR you need to penetrate. the denith vendors can sell all those and a quiver to stack 1000 bolts of each.

if you need more help just ask
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

I'm guessing you created an iconic character and are starting at lvl 15? I'm not sure any vendors sell repeaters, but I'm sure there are a few on the AH for pretty cheap. Bolts can be acquired from many ways, house d favor, vendors, ah etc, but on all my arti's I rely on the conjure bolts spell sine you will burn through them so fast.

Community Member

>< Newbiconics

They should really lock you out of buying Iconic characters until you've advanced one character to L7 or something...and that's not just idle elitism, my first char got Stoned from 8-16 and I didn't know what the heck I was doing, either.

Like everyone else has mentioned:

Repeaters: Lootgen/Auction House, new lootgens just started dropping on Monday that are substantially better than they used to be.
    Runearms: Depends entirely what quest packs you have access to. There are no F2P runearms higher than L2...there are some that you can buy on the AH, but they're always hideously expensive.
    Bolts: Conjure Bolts
    Content: Again, very little F2P at L15+, so depends what content packs you have. If you hit P in-game, it should open a panel that lists all the quests by level, so that tells you what's available that's level-appropriate for you.
    Rogue: Assassin is not the right enhancement tree for a crossbow-wielding Rogue/Arty...you should be in Mechanic, for the bonuses to crossbows. Just take Venomed Blades in Assassin.

Community Member

Default Level 15 is from Shadowfell Conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    little unsure as to what level of help you need, at lvl15 i'd have expected you to have looted a repeater and rune arm by now and seen a lot more than just the market place.

anyway, picking up on how unsure you are of stormreach here is a handy list of rune arms you can browse to find one to aim for:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_arm#Tab...amed_Rune_Arms

as for the repeater, i get most of mine from the auction house if i dont loot a nice one

the bolts for you is a good thing, artificers can get a low level spell to create a stack of bolts (level 1 spell if i remember correctly). so you dont need to buy a ton of them like my mechanic does. that said if you want to bypass damage reduction then focus on house Denith favour to unlock their shop. they can sell stacks of bolts in all flavours. i'd recommend getting a quiver with adamantium, cold iron and silver in and a good aligned repeater, that will cover the vast bulk of DR you need to penetrate. the denith vendors can sell all those and a quiver to stack 1000 bolts of each.

if you need more help just ask
    "I bought the Deluxe Edition of the Shadowfell Conspiracy, that's why I'm Lvl 15 ... as for Stormreach, I've been mostly on Korthos, and in the Harbor for my quests. I'm not even sure what a string of adventures are that would dump a nice artificer repeater at the end. Sorry, I'm just a newbie and have been to insecure to explore much. The Lvl 15 characters are real new to me.

Community Member

Default Re: Need Help ...

Quote Originally Posted by Schnookestbe View Post
    I've created a few mixed characters with Artificer as second choice. I don't know where to go to get a Light or Heavy Repeating Crossbow, and a nice Rune Arm weapon to start off with. I'm relatively new to the game (6 Months) and haven't explored the big city across the ocean much. I can get around the Harbor, and the Marketplace pretty well, but don't know the various houses and what they specialize in ... Oh yeah, I'll need different kinds of bolts for the Repeating Crossbow(s). Please help me if you can, it's difficult to play a Rogue/Artificer without these weapon(s).
    Unfortunately when you create these characters and get them leveled up, they have no money, and if you don't have a guild, no one to help you to get money.

Community Member

Default Thanks, you're right. Highest character is Level 5

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    >< Newbiconics

They should really lock you out of buying Iconic characters until you've advanced one character to L7 or something...and that's not just idle elitism, my first char got Stoned from 8-16 and I didn't know what the heck I was doing, either.

Like everyone else has mentioned:

Repeaters: Lootgen/Auction House, new lootgens just started dropping on Monday that are substantially better than they used to be.
    Runearms: Depends entirely what quest packs you have access to. There are no F2P runearms higher than L2...there are some that you can buy on the AH, but they're always hideously expensive.
    Bolts: Conjure Bolts
    Content: Again, very little F2P at L15+, so depends what content packs you have. If you hit P in-game, it should open a panel that lists all the quests by level, so that tells you what's available that's level-appropriate for you.
    Rogue: Assassin is not the right enhancement tree for a crossbow-wielding Rogue/Arty...you should be in Mechanic, for the bonuses to crossbows. Just take Venomed Blades in Assassin.
    " I'm a VIP so I have access to most all quest packs, just haven't had the guts to solo anything higher level. LOL I was going to try for the rune arm on Korthos for my initial one ...

Community Member

"I bought the Deluxe Edition of the Shadowfell Conspiracy, that's why I'm Lvl 15 ... as for Stormreach, I've been mostly on Korthos, and in the Harbor for my quests. I'm not even sure what a string of adventures are that would dump a nice artificer repeater at the end. Sorry, I'm just a newbie and have been to insecure to explore much. The Lvl 15 characters are real new to me.
    Well bare, bare bones - assuming you have no weapon at all, and not one copper to your name....

Head back to the Harbor, and summon your dog. Go into your Options, Gameplay settings, and make sure "Quest Rewards based on class" is checked; that will ensure you get more repeaters offered as quest rewards. Then, just run really low level stuff, letting your dog do all the work, until you get a reward list that includes a repeater - ANY repeater.

Once you have even a junky junk repeater, find some L11-12 quests, and do the same thing....run them, until you get a repeater with the "Paragon Weapon" property. That'll give you increased damage. At that point, you can probably move up to L14-15 content, and continue to run quests until you find a heavy repeater with Paragon Weapon as well as other useful mods, like elemental damage. Or, once you have some money, check the Auctioneer for good repeaters that might be on sale.

There are no good named repeaters you'll get as a quest-series end reward, if that's what you're hoping for. You just hope for a good pair of affixes on a randomly-generated repeater, and those can appear at the end of every quest.

Community Member

Default Thanks, you're right. Highest character is Level 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhelin View Post
    At the end of most Quest chains there will be something for Artificers too in the reward list, take a look at http://ddowiki.com/page/Named_weapons_by_type to find out where to get named repeating crossbows and rune arms.
    Thanks for the suggestion ... Quest chain? I'm such a newbie.

Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion ... Quest chain? I'm such a newbie.
    some quests are just a short quest on their own, others are part of a story.

those story quests are called quest chains, as they are several quests linked together by a story, and at the grand finale you often get a special reward list.

the link i gave you has a list of all the rune arms in game and where to get them, as mentioned above most will come from a quest chain

heh, i should have guessed you were an iconic the advice above to switch class rewards on (normally a bad thing as it limits the loot you can sell) to get any old repeater then move up to higher level quests and do the same is probably your best bet.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Default Thanks for the helpful informatio.

Well bare, bare bones - assuming you have no weapon at all, and not one copper to your name....

Head back to the Harbor, and summon your dog. Go into your Options, Gameplay settings, and make sure "Quest Rewards based on class" is checked; that will ensure you get more repeaters offered as quest rewards. Then, just run really low level stuff, letting your dog do all the work, until you get a reward list that includes a repeater - ANY repeater.

Once you have even a junky junk repeater, find some L11-12 quests, and do the same thing....run them, until you get a repeater with the "Paragon Weapon" property. That'll give you increased damage. At that point, you can probably move up to L14-15 content, and continue to run quests until you find a heavy repeater with Paragon Weapon as well as other useful mods, like elemental damage. Or, once you have some money, check the Auctioneer for good repeaters that might be on sale.

There are no good named repeaters you'll get as a quest-series end reward, if that's what you're hoping for. You just hope for a good pair of affixes on a randomly-generated repeater, and those can appear at the end of every quest.
    Thanks a lot for the helpful information. I do have 2 daggers that are aligned. I am a lawful good character and need to take that into consideration. I'm not sure of the part about the Options and gameplay, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. My Rogue is a Mechanic after all, not an assassin, so using a repeater should be good. I have 2 Rogue/Artificers and a Paladin/Artificer.

In my personal experience these are the best runearms and where to get them:

1. Khyber's Fury. Tangleroot chain end reward. Shoots fireballs and has Moderate Fortification on it. The fireballs are nice because you can use them to smash up breakables and break down doors/root walls that don't respond to your pew-pew crossbow.
    2. Hand of the Tombs. Chamber of Raiyum. This is one of the VERY few runearms that doesn't bind on acquire so you can actually find it on the auction house. It's a pretty common drop and people run wiz-king a lot when leveling so the chances of getting one for a reasonable price are actually pretty good. This is your go-to undead-killing runearm even at high levels. Shoots fireballs just like Khyber's Fury.
    3. Glorious Obscenity. Reign of madness chain. Lots of acid damage.
    4. Lucid Dreams. Mindsunder end chest in the Inspired Quarter. Force damage which works on basically everything.
    5. Toven's Hammer. House Cannith raids. I have not tried one of these myself but I hear it is good.
    6. Glass Cannon. Some people complain about this one but I really like it. Sadly, you can only get it when the Treasure of Crystal Cove event is running, and since it just ended you may have to wait a while. That's okay, as this is an epic-only runearm anyway.

Most runearms have a "Craftable" special on them. This isn't all that useful for actually putting crafting bonuses in because they will increase the ML of the item, but you CAN use it to put Masterful Craftsmanship in and let you use the runearm at a LOWER level.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Exotic weapons can be bought in House Deneith at Dragontooth Arms, including repeating crossbows. House Deneith also has the weapons broker at Fare Trades where repeating crossbows are often for sale.

An Artificer should never need to purchase bolts. They have a level 1 spell called Conjure Bolts. This produces a stack of 1000 crossbow bolts. Cast the spell 3 or 4 times before starting a quest and let the spell points regenerate while in a public area. Artificers should always have plenty of crossbow bolts.

If special bolts are desired for some reason these can be bought in House Deneith after earning enough house favor. Otherwise they can be bought from the auction house at outrageous prices or found in random loot drops.

As a L15 character there is nothing in the Harbor or Marketplace for you to be doing outside of the one quest chain that allows access to the Forgotten Realms. That chain is better left to run at epic levels.

Your character should be in Gianthold or in the Vale of Twighlight at its current level. Gianthold is accessed from the Marketplace. But, Gianthold is also playable at epic levels and it probably should be left until then as well.

That means your character should be spending time in the Vale of Twilight at its current level. As an iconic character it will earn enough XP in those quests to rapidly advance to L18. At that point it should move to the Inspired Quarter where it will earn enough XP to reach L20. From there run the epic level quests to reach the Forgotten Realms, epic Gianthold, and so on.

Absolutely no reason to be questing in any other areas with the character. Even the nebulous argument that you should get better quality gear should be ignored. The epic versions of the gear you'll find will be better (when they exist) and in any case you'll be moving through levels fast enough that it isn't worth the time spent hunting.

I would also recommend Cannith challenges to you. I don't run these personally but they are a good source of XP and relatively popular with a large number of players.

Community Member

Wink A big thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    In my personal experience these are the best runearms and where to get them:

1. Khyber's Fury. Tangleroot chain end reward. Shoots fireballs and has Moderate Fortification on it. The fireballs are nice because you can use them to smash up breakables and break down doors/root walls that don't respond to your pew-pew crossbow.
    2. Hand of the Tombs. Chamber of Raiyum. This is one of the VERY few runearms that doesn't bind on acquire so you can actually find it on the auction house. It's a pretty common drop and people run wiz-king a lot when leveling so the chances of getting one for a reasonable price are actually pretty good. This is your go-to undead-killing runearm even at high levels. Shoots fireballs just like Khyber's Fury.
    3. Glorious Obscenity. Reign of madness chain. Lots of acid damage.
    4. Lucid Dreams. Mindsunder end chest in the Inspired Quarter. Force damage which works on basically everything.
    5. Toven's Hammer. House Cannith raids. I have not tried one of these myself but I hear it is good.
    6. Glass Cannon. Some people complain about this one but I really like it. Sadly, you can only get it when the Treasure of Crystal Cove event is running, and since it just ended you may have to wait a while. That's okay, as this is an epic-only runearm anyway.

Most runearms have a "Craftable" special on them. This isn't all that useful for actually putting crafting bonuses in because they will increase the ML of the item, but you CAN use it to put Masterful Craftsmanship in and let you use the runearm at a LOWER level.
    Thank you very much for the information PsychoBlonde I'm sure it will prove very useful.

Community Member

Most people will probably see it as burning mana, but the Arti has a lot of those attach spells for weapons that work wonderfully on the auto xbow, making the speical bolt need obsolete. You can cast aligned weapons on it, or on lower level cold iron. And ofc lets not forget insightful damage, my personal favorite for dishing out tons of damage. And on lvl12, I'm still running with a bow I got from a level 5 quest. +1 Axiomatic Light repeating crossbow of pure good. Since the enhancement tree increases the bows EB and the bolts that you conjure increase EB as well, I didn't need a higher prefix yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
    Most people will probably see it as burning mana, but the Arti has a lot of those attach spells for weapons that work wonderfully on the auto xbow, making the speical bolt need obsolete. You can cast aligned weapons on it, or on lower level cold iron. And ofc lets not forget insightful damage, my personal favorite for dishing out tons of damage. And on lvl12, I'm still running with a bow I got from a level 5 quest. +1 Axiomatic Light repeating crossbow of pure good. Since the enhancement tree increases the bows EB and the bolts that you conjure increase EB as well, I didn't need a higher prefix yet.
    You can use Insightful Strikes/Insightful Damage alongside another weapon enchantment, but you cant use multiple weapon enchantments together. That means you get Elemental damage OR DR breaking OR Deadly Weapons, plus Insightful Damage. But the DR breakers are generally never used because 1) usually you just want more DPS, from Elemental or Deadly Weapons; and 2) usually you have better things to slot than Aligned, Cold Iron, etc. for a given spell level.

Also, BE increases your weapon's Enchantment, so its always good to have a better base Enchantment for it to raise. The Enchantment bonus from your bolts does NOT stack with that of your bow, only the highest applies. So if you use a low-level bow, your Bolts are going to be higher and your BE bonus is wasted. If you use a high-level bow, your total bonus is going to be even higher.

Plus, any weapon with a total base value of +6 or more (ML 11) is going to have a bonus +0.5[W] damage.

Community Member

You can use Insightful Strikes/Insightful Damage alongside another weapon enchantment, but you cant use multiple weapon enchantments together. That means you get Elemental damage OR DR breaking OR Deadly Weapons, plus Insightful Damage. But the DR breakers are generally never used because 1) usually you just want more DPS, from Elemental or Deadly Weapons; and 2) usually you have better things to slot than Aligned, Cold Iron, etc. for a given spell level.

Also, BE increases your weapon's Enchantment, so its always good to have a better base Enchantment for it to raise. The Enchantment bonus from your bolts does NOT stack with that of your bow, only the highest applies. So if you use a low-level bow, your Bolts are going to be higher and your BE bonus is wasted. If you use a high-level bow, your total bonus is going to be even higher.

Plus, any weapon with a total base value of +6 or more (ML 11) is going to have a bonus +0.5[W] damage.
    Yes, the Paragon thing is something new I saw after the new update. But for the biggest damage output for most cases, I'm on the lookout for a better axiomatic or pure good, though I have a metalline as backup somewhere. Good thing most enemies are either evil, or chaotic, I only suck against TN And thanks about the elemental vs. DR thing, wasn't sure how the prefix giving spells work. Think I have a Paragon that I looted in Menechtarun after the update, I kept it because it had some nice stats on it XD

Oh and from the original post I forgot to mention to the OP that the runearms also give elemental damage properties to your weapon, if I understood correctly.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

What server are you on OP?

If you're on Khyber I'd be happy to craft you a holy of bleeding heavy repeater and mail you it. Send a mail to Aggrim and I'll send back a repeater if you are.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.