Community Member

Default Bard/Rgr/Rog - Opinions on this concept?

Hi all,

EDIT: BOW* not Xbow user - Manyshot doesn't work with xbows

Been playing around with a few ideas for a bard build, and came up with the following idea. I can't currently log in (hotfix ftw) so enhancements are unclear, but I'm looking at:

- Warchanter Bard
    - Tempest Rgr
    - Mechanic Rog

The idea is that the character would be:

- Self-sufficient for buffs and heals - extend and empower healing are included
    - Trap capable
    - Reasonable melee damage with 2 weapons, possibility of Overwhelming Crit
    - Decent bow damage with Manyshot (and Bow Strength)

Bard 10 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 4

- Bard 10 - Inspire Greatness, Haste, Displacement, Good Hope, CCW, DD (or FOM), Warchanter enhancements
    - Ranger 6 - Manyshot, ITWF, 2 x Favored
    - Rogue 4 - Trapping, locks, skill points

Race: Human - need that extra feat and the extra skill point

Feats (not in order): Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave (for OvCrit), Imp Crit (Piercing?), WF (Piercing?), OTWF, Extend, Empower Healing

I'd really like to be able to fit in GH, but I just can't find the levels. Ah well. Also, I'm uncertain what weapons one would use. Could plan for an Epic Elyd Edge in one hand and go rapiers I guess, but open to suggestion.

Any feedback on this?

Aes.
    Last edited by Istaria1; 08-21-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Community Member

isnt it manyshot doesn't work with Xbows? or was it changed?
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Manyshot

u would still have longbow and the AA tree though.

Community Member

Nope, it wasn't changed, that was a mistake - I edited the post. Bit disappointed that I couldn't grab a sneaky bit of extra damage from the mechanic rogue enhs, but should still be OK with a bow.

Aes.

Community Member

anything particular you want from Rogue 3 and 4? Bard levels would help with spell duration and you'd have another lvl 3 spell slot.
    Feats: WF (Piercing?), OTWF => these can be dropped. You probably want to pick up GTWF.

You could probably get GH from warchanter tree or human tree.

Not sure if heavy investment in warchanter is the way to go. Ranger trees might be better.

Weapon Focus and Oversized Two Weapon Fighting seem rather poor choices. If you have issues with to hit carry and use Divine Power clickies or scrolls to increase your BAB. Hit 17 dex and take GTWF instead.

Not sure about the 4 rogue - is there a specific enhancement you're looking at that requires 4 rogue levels?

EDIT* Ninja'd :P
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Community Member

Thanks for feedback

Feats, firstly - having had a read through the Wiki again, your advice is sound. I'd be dropping WF and OTWF and picking up GTWF instead. This gives me another feat slot to play with (or, it opens up a different race - I'm thinking Dwarf for Daxes?).

I'm also not stuck on 4 rogue levels. I kinda used those as filler to be honest. I looked at Ranger and saw that I got all I wanted from 6 levels. Then I looked at Bard and was reasonably happy with 10 levels. I had originally thought that Xbow and Manyshot would work together and was thinking of the Mechanic xbow enhancements, but that turned out to be wrong on my part.

Could be that the below would be better?

- Dwarf, using daxes
    - 12 Bard/6 Ranger/2 Rogue
    - Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave (for OvCrit), Imp Crit (Slashing), GTWF, Extend, Empower Healing

Playstyle would be mainly using melee, bow for ranged or perched mobs, and manyshot anytime off CD for bosses.

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    If you have issues with to hit carry and use Divine Power clickies or scrolls to increase your BAB.
    Tenser's scrolls.

15 bard/2 ranger/3 rogue ( or 16 for Otto's, losing 1 sneak die ), with Balizardes, Pinion, sitting in fury better, no ?
    Sure you can fit feats now, can't comment on prestige, haven't played my raiding bard since Motu heh. But always thought that few bard levels didn't make much sense for small self buffs and weak party buffs/durations.
    "Support" class ( in the most positive meaning, that improves party/raid performance and can contribute in many ways and is just cool to have around, not that is relegated to such role only ) should capitalize on their unique skills/abilities .
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

Well, tbh the main idea behind the build is to take advantage of the synergy between Warchanter and burst damage (Manyshot, mainly). That means I really do want the 6 levels of Ranger. It makes sense to take at least 2 levels of Rogue for Evasion and skill points, which leaves me with 12 Bard.

I don't really intend to play the character as a support toon - that is, I will obviously use what I have to help the party of course, but I want to be able to be as self-sufficient as possible, and want to be able to solo if I want to.

And the Tenser's scrolls idea is very good I should have thought of that!

Aes.

Yea I'm a fan of 16/2/2 and 15/3/2 split but feats might be tight. You would need PBS as pre-req for manyshot, ITWF & GTWF, lose precise shot...

Sticking with human may be a better option as can use bonus feat for khopesh and human heal amp enhancements. Versatility boosts are nice too.
    Last edited by kuro_zero; 08-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

I have a 16 Bard, 2 Rgr, 2 Ftr that was going to use Nightmares. I was planning on LD and spell singer but haven't had a chance to play him past L21 yet so I don't know if the concept was valid.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Community Member

I have a 12 bard 6 ranger 2 rogue with Improved precise shot and i must say the DPS is great for wiping out a group of mobs. Hard to aim but worth practicing.

Thats right Warchanter has got nice enhancements with the Song of Victory (+5 damage for 12 seconds) and also +1[W] with Boast if you can keep the 30 temporary hitpoints (Perfect for manyshot). Would benefit more with Improved Precise shot too.

I have 3 versions of the Bard/rRanger/Rogue, Halfling, Elf and Drow... With the New enhancements going 12/6/2 becomes much easier, to be able to have enhancements for more than 2 trees.
    Where is my GREATBOW???

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'm not sure how much you want out of your bard lvls, but did you consider something w/more rgr lvls? Say, rgr 12 / bard 7 / rog 1? You'd lose lvl 4 bard spells & Inspire Greatness, but gain a couple more feats and could add Tempest II for a bit more melee DPS. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about DEX so much. Add in a bit of DWS & AA to boost your sneak atks & ranged DPS. And you'd still be able to add most WC goodies if you can find the APs for it.

Community Member

I did consider that, unbongwah, and I came to the conclusion I just could not live without Bard 9 at the very very lowest.

Having said that, I am seriously considering 9 Bard/10 ranger/1 rogue.

Only issue with that is that it would count as a Ranger life, not a bard life. EDIT: And of course the second big issue is the number of feats I'd lose for not taking Ranger 11.

Aes.
    Last edited by Istaria1; 08-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.