Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Back to Soloing?

From Release Notes:
    The party scaling curve has been extended to include the Epic level of the game. Melee characters, Clerics, and non-gold seal hirelings have had their scaling nudged slightly to better reflect their contribution strengths at Epic levels.

I did an EH quest yesterday with a group of 5 (total), and I was shocked at how much damage I was taking. Before my FVS with a tad over 700 hp usually can wade into mobs on EH and not really worry about taking more damage than my renewal will heal. Yesterday, I had one monster hitting me for 300 or so damage per hit. Two hits dropped me to practically slivered, and I was running away like a baby.

My PRR is the same before and after the enh pass. Could it be the scaling then? It almost felt like I was running on EE. I had to start staying at back of the pack and focus on just healing folks for a good portion of the quest (because they were taking gobs of damage, too). I rarely have to do that.

Maybe I just had a wierd run that is out of the ordinary? Or are the quest really that harder now? Has anyone experienced the same?

If it's really the scaling, then I suppose I'll be soloing more. I want to melee with my FVS, not just babysit hitpoints.

Community Member

Did you check the crs of the mobs? I had an issue in the lords of dust chain with EE (I think) mobs showing up in EN (cr43 named mobs, cr 36 hell hounds, and so such, where as the normal crs are in the low twenties). Maybe you are experiencing that same issue?

I haven't had this experience at all, but that's likely because I pretty much exclusively solo. I party with my fiancee when she wants to play and I'll run the occasional raid if a friend asks, but for the most part it's me and a hire. I haven't checked out any EE content yet, but all of the EH has been relatively easy. But then, the only real issue I ever had with the old Epic setup was the ability to turn on auto attack and walk out for a smoke. They weren't particularly hard imo, but time consuming.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I think you can probably thank the people who complained about the difficulty gap between epic hard and epic elite. Turbine hears people all over the forums going on about what a cakewalk eh is, and now it's apparently not anymore. (Taking your word for this, I have 32 toons and was busy resetting so have not been questing much yet!).
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

It could be scaling or it could just be one of those odd instances. Sometimes the game will throw an amped up instance at you. I run with another friend regularly and most quests fall within the expected challenge and difficulty. Sometimes an instance is just crazy difficult, to the point we are checking the difficulty that was selected, and we are in on the difficulty we intended to run.

Who checked the hidden 'add 10 levels to this quest' box?

Your saying you had to do your job, instead of the tanks?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by krynnotaur View Post
    we have tanks in DDO?

We have JOBS in DDO ?
    Nice troll.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Welcome to DDO - where people aren't dependant on people unless they WANT to be.
    My fighters can trap, self heal, tank (I think. What's tanking? Isn't it that thing new players do?), dps and generally not be forced to rely on other people.

But hey. My cleric can solo almost anything aside from epic elite - and that's just a lack of gear. It's all on my jugger
    He doesn't heal, aside from an awkward "Oh ship" moment, or a raid.
    Raids are the one time you'll get him being something along the lines of a Hjealz bot.

So in short: In DDO, we're as reliant on other people as we wish to be.
    We play what classes we want - be that for a past life, flavour, the fact it's the most overpowered thing since bread slicers or for any reason.
    And we play it how we want.

Which quest were you running, OP? I tried soloing EH Lords of Dust yesterday with my own lvl 20 (lvl 5 Exalted Angel). Before I just blew through this one like nothing. But yesterday when I came to the first boss (the female cultist leader) I was just standing around like I usualy have done and blasting her with dots and lasers :-) Suddenly the "watch your hp" help starter tip popped up and I was like "***!?" And glanced over on my health. She was dropping me by 200 hp a pop with chain disintegrates. Before my heal went off I was toasted and fried. I laughed a little over it and released. Later I went through EH with my Shiradi 25 and noticed a lot of irregularities. Cultists were CR17-19. Dogs were CR30+. Same with Death Knights. Bosses were in the CR40s. Last boss took a while to kill but I just kept DOT'ing him and spamming missiles. Got him down with just 300ish SP left (from about 3300 before fight started). Also got 2 end chests for some reason. Epic chest with another chest on top of it. Noticed it because of the text but couldnt really see it inside the epic chest since its bigger. Both chests contained fragments of tokens though so both were epic loot chests.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBob View Post
    Which quest were you running, OP? I tried soloing EH Lords of Dust yesterday with my own lvl 20 (lvl 5 Exalted Angel). Before I just blew through this one like nothing. But yesterday when I came to the first boss (the female cultist leader) I was just standing around like I usualy have done and blasting her with dots and lasers :-) Suddenly the "watch your hp" help starter tip popped up and I was like "***!?" And glanced over on my health. She was dropping me by 200 hp a pop with chain disintegrates. Before my heal went off I was toasted and fried. I laughed a little over it and released. Later I went through EH with my Shiradi 25 and noticed a lot of irregularities. Cultists were CR17-19. Dogs were CR30+. Same with Death Knights. Bosses were in the CR40s. Last boss took a while to kill but I just kept DOT'ing him and spamming missiles. Got him down with just 300ish SP left (from about 3300 before fight started). Also got 2 end chests for some reason. Epic chest with another chest on top of it. Noticed it because of the text but couldnt really see it inside the epic chest since its bigger. Both chests contained fragments of tokens though so both were epic loot chests.
    I had the same thing happen in EN LOD.

Story is that I ran it EN just to cap off some ED XP on my Pale Master, and EN LOD (the old version) on a Pale Master was something I zerged through in a few mins, end boss was so weak that he could barely hit a wizard and went down in a few seconds.

Now after the patch I ran it again on EN. Trash have so crappy saves that I didn’t notice any difference before Karas – but he comes at me, and I just stand there waiting for him to die like he usually does, to hits later I am dying and runs for my life. He is now CR43, hits very hard for EN and have around 50/60K HP... fortunately I just specced me some 2 SP Magic Missile from the AM tree and was in Shiradi, so a few mins after im looting, but only because of the SP regeneration and because I “cheesed it”.

I am pretty sure they messed up that scaling thing as I was running it solo, and I bloody well hope he does not get even stronger if I bring along ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Let the nerd rage flow through you. Don't hold back. I bought a lot of popcorn in anticipation for when Turbine decided to finally fix one of the many easy buttons.
    Danish migrant from DDO Europe, where I have been playing since beta.
    Thelanis (since march 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    we have tanks in DDO?
    Yes and APCs and air support. You just have to know how to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    What are rogues and fighters?
    Is that slang for Juggs?
    I thought he was talking about the barbificer
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Fry meme: Can't tell if your getting the point, or everyone thinks the other guy is stupid. so wait you let a bunch of e-peen wanna be's loose on pay to win and they are all uberoneman armies of compensate much? lol

You all are no fun. A refresher:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Fry meme: Can't tell if your getting the point, or everyone thinks the other guy is stupid. so wait you let a bunch of e-peen wanna be's loose on pay to win and they are all uberoneman armies of compensate much? lol

You all are no fun. A refresher:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA
    Heh.
    Okay, silliness aside, can you please rephrase your paragraph? I cannot make heads or tails of it.
    As I read it, I think you're insulting me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ValenGodspeed View Post
    I had the same thing happen in EN LOD.

Story is that I ran it EN just to cap off some ED XP on my Pale Master, and EN LOD (the old version) on a Pale Master was something I zerged through in a few mins, end boss was so weak that he could barely hit a wizard and went down in a few seconds.

Now after the patch I ran it again on EN. Trash have so crappy saves that I didn’t notice any difference before Karas – but he comes at me, and I just stand there waiting for him to die like he usually does, to hits later I am dying and runs for my life. He is now CR43, hits very hard for EN and have around 50/60K HP... fortunately I just specced me some 2 SP Magic Missile from the AM tree and was in Shiradi, so a few mins after im looting, but only because of the SP regeneration and because I “cheesed it”.

I am pretty sure they messed up that scaling thing as I was running it solo, and I bloody well hope he does not get even stronger if I bring along ?
    Yeah. my FVS was having slightly more trouble than usual before i got to karas. things took longer to kill, but still died. But then it was time for cr 34 skellies, cr 38 redname casting DP and blade barrier, and cr 43 red name hitting for 200+

So if I've been around since the beginning of things and have an understanding of how things work, should I be able to solo virtually everything? Or do I have to be uber with an extra side of awesome-sauce?

I don't belong to a guild so it would be nice to be able to set out on my own when there are no groups to join.
    Thelanis: Rogosh, Dhragkar, Dhrakian, Meridion, Maherellen.

Community Member

Default Booooooooooooooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBob View Post
    They also groosly buffed the spot/disable traps on almost all the quests I checked out (on norm in both heroic and elite modes). Not sure if it's WAI, since as usual there's a lot of release bugs, but if it is, just another nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Heh.
    Okay, silliness aside, can you please rephrase your paragraph? I cannot make heads or tails of it.
    As I read it, I think you're insulting me.
    I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing near you! Easy mode purchase power, someone exercises the option and now complains because they were under-challenged, even now some of the "we-are-too-powerful, gee-who-bought-that-problem-in-voluntary-financial-transactions" (not me!) are proclaiming all the content linear, and smash and grab whilst the people who actually want to play a game near or as near to 3.5e with some element of enjoying the story, sans meta-farm xp grinding BOOOoooOOOOOORiiiing peeps compensating for something missing in their real life. (typically any sense of self empowerment is the target of the anthropomorphic transfer)

rational, is it, to purchase ones own troubles?

"In economic theory, a moral hazard is a situation where a party will have a tendency to take risks because the costs that could incur will not be felt by the party taking the risk. In other words, it is a tendency to be more willing to take a risk, knowing that the potential costs or burdens of taking such risk will be borne, in whole or in part, by others. A moral hazard may occur where the actions of one party may change to the detriment of another after a financial transaction has taken place.

Moral hazard arises because an individual or institution does not take the full consequences and responsibilities of its actions, and therefore has a tendency to act less carefully than it otherwise would, leaving another party to hold some responsibility for the consequences of those actions.

Economists explain moral hazard as a special case of information asymmetry, a situation in which one party in a transaction has more information than another. In particular, moral hazard may occur if a party that is insulated from risk has more information about its actions and intentions than the party paying for the negative consequences of the risk. More broadly, moral hazard occurs when the party with more information about its actions or intentions has a tendency or incentive to behave inappropriately from the perspective of the party with less information."

You are the party with less information, so its clear.
    Last edited by krynnotaur; 08-21-2013 at 09:25 AM.

-stuff-
    No. Just no.
    My first life monk (with +3 tomes to all stats) was soloing epic hard.
    He's the first char of mine that hit epics.

To date, everything I've made can solo epic hard - not due to gear... Just due to the ****-easy-bull[stuff] game play.

No, no. The power gap between epic hard and epic elite is the issue. If epic hard got a buff, good. Going from 40/hit -> 150-200/hit isn't friendly. Nor fair.

Want some fun facts? Epic hard Demonweb chain has monsters similar to IQ on elite.
    Except you are 20x stronger with destinies. So.. Yeah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast